AMD Radeon RX 590 Graphic Card Releasing November 15th

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
AMD’s new Radeon GPU, the RX 590, will allegedly be released next month. The card features a core frequency of 1545MHz and is expected to sell for “2099 yuan,” which is a little over $300. According to a recent Final Fantasy XV benchmark that teases its performance, “NVIDIA’s GTX 1060 is in trouble.”

The Radeon RX 590 is believed to offer a bigger jump in performance over RX 580 compared to RX 580/480 refresh. We are looking a 112 to 124% of RX 480 performance, while RX 580 was at most offering 102-109% of Polaris 10 performance. The charts leaked through FFXV website indicate that NVIDIA’s GTX 1060 is in trouble. This is likely why the company confirmed that GDDR5X variants of this Pascal-based model will be available, as there is no trance of GTX/RTX 2060 cards coming to market yet.

This is the real true battlegrounds between AMD and nVidia. Their bread and butter. Something like 90% of their cards sold are at the lower end of the market. I wish AMD all the best in finding some success with these cards. They need a win in the GPU space. Strong sales for the RX 590 would hopefully give them some R&D cash to develop something better. Something truly new perhaps.

Wow, didn't the RX580 have a low 200 msrp? hope that info is wrong. AMD trying to milk the inflated prices as much as possible if so.

leak after leak after leak...I will wait to see what they call them once released...historically AMD used the xx90 suffix as dual gpu based, there was also many leaks that 12nm would be polaris 30 denoted as RX 670-680 before the coming out Navi for "next year)

Only AMD knows for sure at this point that much is certain, it does not take much to "update" a database with product identifiers to screw things up, would not be the first time any company has done such to keep things "under wraps"

I suppose my point of contention is the vast majority of these "leaks" can be traced back to wccftech (and sister sites) where they claimed that Vega 32/24 etc and 12nm RX 5xx were "coming soon" among other things..

As long as the price is right, power consumption drops a bit and performance goes up a bit, all the power to them, I think the "biggest" problem with Radeon releases as of late is they have not taken the time to "tune" voltages as best they could have, so power consumption (heat) was quite a bit higher as an end result (also hampering continuous clock rates)

Wow, didn't the RX580 have a low 200 msrp? hope that info is wrong. AMD trying to milk the inflated prices as much as possible if so.

RX 570/580 4/8gb were $169/$199 and $200/$219 MSRP/SEP, initially they "started" at this level, but, did not take all that long before AIB "partners" jacked up the price and the "sellers" did not help either when pricing RX 570 often at same price as the 580s.
i.e RX 570 4gb $219 8gb $250 RX 580 4gb $219 8gb $250
the "custom cooler" costs next to nothing per card (maybe $1 or $2 at most) but that does not stop them from smacking on an additional $20 or more.

anyways, the 4xx and 5xx were "officially" $200 tops for the reference design 4gb x70 and x80, but this did not stay that way for all that long, whatever the AIB "saved" from a bareboard, they slapped on above reference board price (though they save coin)

ahh well, it is what it is I suppose.

Meanwhile, in other news, AMD pledges Domination and Competition in the High End Graphics Cards Market Again......this reporter waits with baited breath.

*yawn* Tell me when AMD competes with NVIDIA like they do with INTEL
They do in the space that matters, you 1070 and above are hardly relevant in the margins and grand scheme of things, they also hardly matter in mind share too. the 580 has always traded blows with the 1060 and typically comes out with a slight comparo win. The new 1060 is faster, thus a faster 580 called the 590 (Yay for not making a "faster 580"). And looks like it will maintain the status quo. Which you pick will be based on sheepism or particular games you play.

I'll note, the mainstream majority is well below my expectations always, I don't shop at that level, but just not deluded that my expectations are what matters to the majority of consumers. 1080Ti owner, wish the RTX series more compelling, oh well.

I've got a 970. I'm not upgrading until this spring - not sure what path I'm taking except can say not 2080 ti. If I were buying today, I'd probably be thinking about the 1080 ti.
I'm hoping there is some competition for the 2080.

don't get it, why bring up another sku with so little up lift, this is mainly what is hurting AMDs market segmentation, RX590 should have been released with GDDR5X or 6 to try and grab as much performance as possible, a 20-25% uplift as a target from RX580 would have been ok.

watch a 12 nm vega part slip out i did some math looks like the 12nm polaris 30 gives about 10-12% performance uplift. now for a 12nm vega part take vega 64 and add 10-12% to it and price it at 500 i think it would be competitive

Last edited:
AMD not competing in high end does hurt them, or maybe Nvidia just has better PR. Sometimes friends ask for advice before buying something and most of them think Nvidia is better than AMD because Nvidia has the fastest cards. If they are shopping for a 1060 I tell them 580 is just as good and usually a little cheaper, get whichever is the best deal and they can't go wrong either way. More often than not they pay more and get a 1060 and tell me they just think Nvidia is better.

Same with 1070/1080 and Vega, except Nvidia is usually a decent amount cheaper. They always get Nvidia, nobody has every paid more for Vega and told me it is because they think AMD is better.

irrelevant GPU to any segment of the market.. it doesn't appeal to their current fanbase as the target (pre R9 200 series/HD7000 series) for this card already should have upgraded to RX 480/RX 580... and of course it will not appeal to anyone running GTX 970/980 which it's the same performance bracket of RX 480/RX 580, so anyone in that segment can aim AT LEAST to Vega56 performance to warrant any kind of money and those probably upgraded already to at least GTX 1070. so, where really the RX 590 land? it need more to fill the performance gap between RX 580 and Vega56, at this point and age it have no market. that market already exist for the VEGA56 and GTX 1070 (also the Future GTX 2060)

They do in the space that matters, you 1070 and above are hardly relevant in the margins and grand scheme of things, they also hardly matter in mind share too. the 580 has always traded blows with the 1060 and typically comes out with a slight comparo win. The new 1060 is faster, thus a faster 580 called the 590 (Yay for not making a "faster 580"). And looks like it will maintain the status quo. Which you pick will be based on sheepism or particular games you play.

I'll note, the mainstream majority is well below my expectations always, I don't shop at that level, but just not deluded that my expectations are what matters to the majority of consumers. 1080Ti owner, wish the RTX series more compelling, oh well.

I would imagine though that if average joe consumer knows that Nvidia has the performance crown, they might choose the green team if presented with two cards at a similar price point if for only that reason.

I might just be out of the loop, but I thought the x90 cards were the top-end AMD cards, so to see something which by those FFXV benchmarks looks to be a mild increase on the 780ti I had like 5 years ago is a little strange. I still use that card in a secondary rig and it's great that more gamers will have at least that level of power, but it's still strange to see this big of a gap.

Meanwhile, in other news, AMD pledges Domination and Competition in the High End Graphics Cards Market Again......this reporter waits with baited breath.
I think the high end graphics market is currently insane with the RTX pricing. Makes no sense for AMD to put resources in a product that only 10% of the gaming market will buy. Also, makes no sense for AMD to price this RX 590 at $300. It's not like AMD's market share is doing so well that higher prices will do them any good.

$300 is way too much unless it is closer to 1070/1070ti performance, which it won't be. We've seen deals for $350 1080s and pretty sure there will be even more deals involving 1080s etc for black friday etc

I think the high end graphics market is currently insane with the RTX pricing. Makes no sense for AMD to put resources in a product that only 10% of the gaming market will buy. Also, makes no sense for AMD to price this RX 590 at $300. It's not like AMD's market share is doing so well that higher prices will do them any good.
They are going to price them competitively in the market. Same price as the new 1060.
It is sad I know. I also would like to see AMD be a little more aggressive in pricing. Shake things up and hit Nvidia hard in the largest GPU market segments.

I would expect MSRP for rx 590 at 289.99 to 299. I think there is a little more performance on the table than what we are seeing in the final fantasy benchmark.

$300 is way too much unless it is closer to 1070/1070ti performance, which it won't be. We've seen deals for $350 1080s and pretty sure there will be even more deals involving 1080s etc for black friday etc

You can't cherry pick special deals as a representative of price. The RX590 is looking to be the price/performance champ.

I am just glad AMD is launching a non-HBM card that can beat a One-X. That shit was embarrassing for all gamers.

Hopefully "590" is just a working name or a guess at what it would be. Joe schmo will see 500 series and just write it off as last gen, and surely a 2060 and 2050 are just around the corner in response.

What gives with AMD not releasing a full catalogue of cards like we had with the 2xx series? Besides vega (which is what i have) the 580 is just a 480 is just a 390x is just a 290x as far as I know. Everything since Hawaii feels like blurred rehashes with no real product line.

Polaris and Hawaii are very different. Most modern games prefer Polaris even though Hawaii looks better on paper. Still, some games love the higher bandwidth of Hawaii. It would have been great if they used ddr5x as one person suggested.

A mid range card that may now crush it at 1440p is something to get excited about.

A mid range card that may now crush it at 1440p is something to get excited about.

yeah that exist since.. 2 years ago with the GTX 1070.

the claimed performance jump from RX 580 to RX 590 won't magically make possible to achieve 1440P gaming. if any what it will do is just reinforce a constant 1080P ultra settings 60FPS gameplay as there are LOT of games where even OC'd the RX 580 can't provide the necessary performance to max out and keep 60fps.

Hopefully "590" is just a working name or a guess at what it would be. Joe schmo will see 500 series and just write it off as last gen, and surely a 2060 and 2050 are just around the corner in response.

What gives with AMD not releasing a full catalogue of cards like we had with the 2xx series? Besides vega (which is what i have) the 580 is just a 480 is just a 390x is just a 290x as far as I know. Everything since Hawaii feels like blurred rehashes with no real product line.
polaris is pretty different from hawaii.. but you're right that the 580 is just a refresh of the 480 with a slight tweak to power usage and the 390's a rebadge of the 290x basically even if they want to call it a refresh. that being said i still think the 590 will continue to be called the 590 but we'll most likely see the 600 series on a finalized version of the 12nm process that's being tested with the 590. you can also look at it this way that the 590's just covering 12nm development costs with little to no extra expense on their end. if the numbers end up being true and they don't charge out the ass for it i might end up picking one up instead of a 1070 since i really want to try the freesync feature on my monitors.

This is not why i am recycling my GTX 570 :D
It is no doubt a lot faster, but i am sure i would feel silly if i got me one of these.

But with my luck some one probably put out a game i would like to play ( first game in years ) and so making it even more painful for me to wait for a GFX card i will feel good about getting.

Well

I did a chart compare and on average I'll get 50% more fps with a rx580 over my 7970 at 1.0 GHz.

I would grab a rx590 as an interim stop gap till good vr is available at a reasonable price. But with rx580 retailing commonly for $230 to $240 I can't stomach a 25%+ price hike for at best 15% performance boost.

I realize that price performance curves as exponential but should be that much of a difference at this market tier. $270 and I'll bite as entry level vr

This is not why i am recycling my GTX 570 :D
It is no doubt a lot faster, but i am sure i would feel silly if i got me one of these.

But with my luck some one probably put out a game i would like to play ( first game in years ) and so making it even more painful for me to wait for a GFX card i will feel good about getting.

damn, are you really "gaming" with a GTX 570 in this age?. even modern casual gaming will just destroy it.

No i haven't played anything since i threw my Modern warfare disk in the trash bin in 2007 / 8, it seem like what i like to play the whole world are against, and what the world like to play im like " nooooo way"
Besides i am 52 now so by nature alone what i like to play i am probably a too "old fart" to play at least competitive.

This honestly felt like a news article repost from years ago when I first read it...

damn, are you really "gaming" with a GTX 570 in this age?. even modern casual gaming will just destroy it.
Sold my old system to a friend (i5 3570k + GTX 680) and while the 680 is a rather faster card than the 570, combined with the 3570 it's still plenty enough to get 60+ fps in WoW at 1080p and Killing Floor 2 at high settings... so 6 year old hardware is just fine for today if you're not playing at 4k or 144hz or some of those other silly things that people do now.

I would imagine though that if average joe consumer knows that Nvidia has the performance crown, they might choose the green team if presented with two cards at a similar price point if for only that reason.

I might just be out of the loop, but I thought the x90 cards were the top-end AMD cards, so to see something which by those FFXV benchmarks looks to be a mild increase on the 780ti I had like 5 years ago is a little strange. I still use that card in a secondary rig and it's great that more gamers will have at least that level of power, but it's still strange to see this big of a gap.
Most people choose Nvidia because it says Nvidia, it could be half the performance and most would not look into enough to even know. That's how ignorance and mindshare works. It's Nvidia there fore it's always the best! I'm sure there are plenty who would pick a GTX 1050 over a Vega 64 because it's not Nvidia. As for the whole 90 thing, they name their top line cards now with their own names. Though I agree it's mildly annoying.

watch a 12 nm vega part slip out i did some math looks like the 12nm polaris 30 gives about 10-12% performance uplift. now for a 12nm vega part take vega 64 and add 10-12% to it and price it at 500 i think it would be competitive
You missed the news about Vega 20 7nm ?

Forget about anything Vega for the consumer market since Vega (high clock speed) will not function (read: power usage) with GDDR5. That means another round of HBM would mean it will not be cheap either way.

Most people choose Nvidia because it says Nvidia, it could be half the performance and most would not look into enough to even know. That's how ignorance and mindshare works. It's Nvidia there fore it's always the best! I'm sure there are plenty who would pick a GTX 1050 over a Vega 64 because it's not Nvidia. As for the whole 90 thing, they name their top line cards now with their own names. Though I agree it's mildly annoying.

Maybe AMD should move on to higher 4 digit numbers for the naming of their cards. I suspect there will be people who see the number 1050 is higher than 570/580 and go for the 1050 xD. Nvidia knows how to play the mindshare game.

Back