AMD Radeon RX 580 PowerColor Red Devil Golden Sample

Soooo, a fair question for Kyle:

The PowerColor Red Devil RX 580 Golden runs at a consistent boost of 1425MHz and has a list price of $269, yet didn't get an award.

What exactly were your price/performance criteria/expectations for this card in order for it to have received either a Bronze, Silver, or Gold award?

From the outside looking in some readers could fairly conclude you already had a preconceived opinion before the first test was even run.

You think it deserves a award? Maybe if it was priced below $250 but at $270 its just way to much vs a GTX 1060 around $250.

Gigabyte card is the best buy at 1440 boost out of the box with a beefy cooler. $260. Everything else is just over priced.

The PowerColor Red Devil RX 580 Golden runs at a consistent boost of 1425MHz and has a list price of $269, yet didn't get an award.

What exactly were your price/performance criteria/expectations for this card in order for it to have received either a Bronze, Silver, or Gold award?

From the outside looking in some readers could fairly conclude you already had a preconceived opinion before the first test was even run.

And from the outside looking in some readers could fairly conclude that Kyle is about as impartial as any reviewer can be, and has always given AMD a fair shake. So... yeah.

Who cares what I think, what did Kyle want to see in order to give it a Bronze, Silver, or Gold award?

As always games tests are awesome in review. but the review felt rushed. I was surprised to see power usage being referenced from GPUz and quoting the max out of there as usually thats the spike. No reference to average and no overclocking numbers. Because GPUz will record any spikes so you are getting a single max spike being recorded.

LOL. AMD snowflake is disappointed.

Gigabyte card is the best buy at 1440 boost out of the box with a beefy cooler. $260. Everything else is just over priced.

Nope. When Newegg puts their Zotac GTX 1070 on sale for $320 that's the best buy out there. I should know since I bought one from them for that price April 6th.

Nope. When Newegg puts their Zotac GTX 1070 on sale for $320 that's the best buy out there. I should know since I bought one from them for that price April 6th.

Obviously I was comparing it to other rx 580s and its obvious that sale doesn't come around that often and even if it does its on ebay where that many people likely don't go. But regardless both of my monitors are free sync. This will be for second rig which runs 1080p max settings, and I absolutely don't care about power as long as the card runs cool which most rx 580s seem to be doing just fine. I have main rig with 1080 and not using freesync. If Vega lands closer to 1080ti or somewhere in the middle of 1080 and 1080ti. I will likely sell the 1080 and get vega to use freesync on my monitor.

LOL. AMD snowflake is disappointed.

So asking Kyle this question:

Makes me an "AMD snowflake?" Have high school kids taken over [H]Forums?

Who cares what I think, what did Kyle want to see in order to have awarded it a Bronze, Silver, or Gold award?

here are reasons why it didn't get an award.

higher price than a rx480
uses much more power than a rx480
larger 2.5 slot cooler than a rx480
same Vram speed as a 480
only 6% faster than an aftermarket rx480 after a year on the market.

Mabe he should give it the " buy it if your a fanboy award".?

We do not have expectations in order for a product to receive an award.

I am not sure how you could "fairly" conclude that, but if you stating it that way makes you feel better about your narrative, you go with that.

And from the outside looking in some readers could fairly conclude that Kyle is about as impartial as any reviewer can be, and has always given AMD a fair shake. So... yeah.
Thank you sir.

As always games tests are awesome in review. but the review felt rushed.
You would be correct. We did not get the driver till midday Thursday, over a holiday weekend. It was very much rushed. The answer as to why would have to be answered by AMD. I just work here.

The problem with society now is we attempt to award the mediocre, the 2nd place, participation awards :)
Which is why we do not have a "Bronze" award as mistakenly pointed out by Singularity_Survivor .

Kyle, please answer this simple question. What could this card have done to have received the minimum [H] Silver Award???????

I am not sure what is the relevant for the RX580 to receive a Silver Award. Would it have made you purchase the card if it did receive a Silver Award? At the end of the day, as long you read the review and come up with your own conclusion, that is all it really matters.

Kyle, please answer this simple question. What could this card have done to have received the minimum [H] Silver Award???????
Have not really thought about it in those terms. Keep in mind our awards are 100% fully subjective. There is not a list, or wrong and right to get to get an award. It is seriously just a decision between Brent and I to give a card an award. Sometimes he suggests it, sometimes I do. In this case we actually never even discussed it.

I think at the base of this is that it is hard for us to get excited about a rebranded or rebadged card. You can already buy RX 480 cards clocked higher than this card (not many however), and as a launch card supplied by AMD, we likely hold those to a higher standard when it comes to giving awards.

But certainly something the card "could have done" to get an award is to not have a rebadged GPU on it. Or, it could have kept with the 480 branding possibly. Again, just spitballing here, as I do not sit around and think about awards much at all. I don't put all that much true value in them.

I am not sure what is the relevant for the RX580 to receive a Silver Award. Would it have made you purchase the card if it did receive a Silver Award? At the end of the day, as long you read the review and come up with your own conclusion, that is all it really matters.
And I think this outlines a bit about why I do not think awards are that big of a deal to our readers. You got our opinions with the hard data to back that up....is an award graphic going to impact the discerning HardOCP reader?

I think to deserve some award this card needed to have higher clocks @ same power usage (480), or even higher clocks with the power levels they provide. As they stand they are just O/C'ed cards with a minor price cut. Showing how the power usage ramps extremely fast as the clocks go up, there isn't going to be any massive untapped OC in there either.
Mid-low range is so stagnant.

I don't really look at awards. Does it meet my need or how much do I care about power usage as long as the card runs nice and cool at the core. I got the gigabyte rx 580 Aorus. It has 1440 OC and I have good old thermal take gold 750w psu in my secondary rig. And that has a 1080p freesync monitor. My nephews visit and they game a lot on it. So I think it serves my purpose. It's fast enough to run everything 1080p ultra and it runs cool and my power supply handles it and it supports freesync. If the card gets an award or not doesn't matter. It meets my need in my second rig.

Reactions: chenw
like this

I am not Kyle but...

Silver = Same / less power consumption than RX 480

Gold = The above + cost $30-40 cheaper than current prices

I am not Kyle but...

Silver = Same / less power consumption than RX 480

Gold = The above + cost $30-40 cheaper than current prices

Kindof agree about pricing, however I think power consumption is not Hard's biggest concern. Most of the time its all about price/performance. If AMD dropped this card at ACTUAL retail $200, that would have disrupted the market and earned a gold, regardless of how much it sucked from the walls. instead AMD just kinda updated the clocks of the 480.\

and as to the "award" this card deserves:

its-something.jpg

My 1st build had a Power Color card surprised they are still around.
I wish XFX and Power Color made Nvidia cards I know XFX used to with crazy Box Art designs.

Are you people still going on about power usage? You'd think everyone here is running 350W PSU's and are terrified of hitting their power limit. ZOMG, this thing draws 300W of total system power while gaming, how will my 1000W PSU ever keep up?

Come now, grasshoppers. You have much to complain about, but power usage should not be one of them.

Rebranded product is a rebrand. Ask me how I know with my 390X. lol 580 is decent for the money, would be even better if it were ~$30 cheaper.

i'm kinda surprised they let anyone review them before launch knowing it was just a refresh.. hopefully this drives prices down on the 480 since that's really all i need as a place holder for a year or so til i can afford to replace all my monitors.
The 500 series is putting the 400 series out to pasture. The 480 is officially EOL. No mas...

not any time soon since the vast majority of monitors still use DVI.. i agree though i'd like to see all new monitors and even TV's be display port only(screw HDMI and their over prices licensing).
So the 1080Ti dumped the DVI on the backplate, which is awesome for exhausting heat, but NVIDIA does include a DP to DVI dongle. Would like to see other cards with blower type fans follow suit.

They've been that price on Newegg since like November.
Not this week. Those are back to being very expensive.

I think to deserve some award this card needed to have higher clocks @ same power usage (480), or even higher clocks with the power levels they provide. As they stand they are just O/C'ed cards with a minor price cut. Showing how the power usage ramps extremely fast as the clocks go up, there isn't going to be any massive untapped OC in there either.
Mid-low range is so stagnant.

What I don't get is the on paper price cuts are $10 less but 480s have been going as low as $140_$175 for the 4g and 8g. This just seems all do unneeded but oh well. As mentioned before it's not amd or Nvidias first time doing something like this. Just wish amd would you know have done something better to combine with their pretty cool release of ryzen.

What I don't get is the on paper price cuts are $10 less but 480s have been going as low as $140_$175 for the 4g and 8g. This just seems all do unneeded but oh well. As mentioned before it's not amd or Nvidias first time doing something like this. Just wish amd would you know have done something better to combine with their pretty cool release of ryzen.

Nvidia haven't really done that since Kepler and when they did price generally got lower.

Refreshes to reset street pricing are AMD speciality.

Got mine on order...

Edit what I meant to say is I got my 580 on order, went with a Gigabyte as it was $20 cheaper at the time...

Last edited:
Loved the inclusion of VR with the review - makes this particular view very forward looking and pushing towards the future. DX 12 tests also was spot on. Man I really hope all GPU reviews will include some VR tests - extremely important technology going forward.

Looking forward to the upcoming OC version of the review with the 1060 and 580 maxed out.

NO 580 for me. I remember the power issues with the 480 and the Fact that there were NO windows 8.1 drivers for the 480 on RELEASE day. Two weeks later I got an email saying there were beta drivers a available. However I had just gotten an RMA from Newegg for store credit. Bought a Skylake I5 6500 with mobo and 16 gb ddr4. Bought a GTX 1070 from Best Buy on sale and left AMD forever. Amd never quite beats Nvidia, Might beat even Intel for a short time. However Nvidia and Intel both will always come back and crush AMD........

Seems to me that even Global Foundries 'optimised process' still sucks in comparison with TSMC's similar node. I feel sorry for AMD, I'd love to see Ryzen & 580/Vega on a TSMC process just like Scorpio is. They would both give Nvidia and Intel migraines instead of a slight headache.

Global's heat/leakage/clockspeed wall sucks for poor old' AMD.

Yeah, I feel like I'm in the same boat here. Feel like they missed a chance with the Ryzen release, the 480 and 580 are great and all but the 580 would have to be significantly cheaper than the 1060, by say 50 to 70 bucks, to be significant to me. Just think of the hype of a r5 and 580 rig being that cheap.

Back