AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT and RX 5700 Review Roundup

I think these are good cards, but AMD really missed with the launch cooling.

I just looked at Techpowerup's breakdown of the 5700xt and 5700. They are shipping these cards with graphite/epoxy pads on the GPU core, instead of thermal paste.

I'm not gonna say "guarantee". But I would be super surprised if a quality thermal paste is not much better. Personally, I would remove the heatsink and do the swap.

Alllllso, if the heatsink has open fins underneathe the fan shroud: you could remove the shroud and turbine fan and then strap a fan to the top of the heatsink (unfortunately, techpowerup didn't remove the shroud to reveal the heatsink). If you have lots of space in your case, 80mm case fans are awesome for this. If you are limited on space, Noctua makes a 90mm slim fan. Which is also awesome for this. I have a couple strapped to my 7870 with twist ties. That's gonna be a giant improvment over the turbine fan. I don't use cases with windows anymore. So i don't care if it looks stupid.
iirc, the radeon vii, which also uses a graphite pad, performed much worse when it was switched with paste.
Edit : added link

iirc, the radeon vii, which also uses a graphite pad, performed much worse when it was switched with paste.
Edit : added link
According to a test by Gamersnexus, Radeon VII was 5c better at the edge temp of the die and the same at the core (junction) temp and didn't prevent throttling.

definitely not worse. But not much better, either. and they think its because the cooler on the Radeon VII does not make good contact.
amd-radeon-vii-thermal-pad-vs-paste_all.png

According to a test by Gamersnexus, Radeon VII was 5c better at the edge temp of the die and the same at the core (junction) temp and didn't prevent throttling.

definitely not worse. But not much better, either. and they think its because the cooler on the Radeon VII does not make good contact.
View attachment 172552
HBM has a different height I believe which is the reason making good contact with the die and memory is difficult with paste. No clue on the logic behind doing it with Navi with GDDR6

View attachment 172552
Edge temperature isn't really important when you have hotspots all over the place hitting tj-max and causing the chip to throttle. It's even possible the edge temp was lower because it had to throttle so frequently.

That said, I don't know why they chose the pad for these, but I would think they had a good reason.

Edge temperature isn't really important when you have hotspots all over the place hitting tj-max and causing the chip to throttle. It's even possible the edge temp was lower because it had to throttle so frequently.

That said, I don't know why they chose the pad for these, but I would think they had a good reason.
probably because the performance isn't significantly worse than good paste---but it will never degrade like paste.

The 1440p GPU Wars:
$349 GeForce RTX2060
$349 Radeon RX 5700

$399 GeForce RTX2060 SUPER
$399 Radeon RX 5700x

$499 GeForce RTX2070 SUPER

Anadtech's Review paints a pretty good contrast between them.
Tomb Raider, Battlefield V & Formula1 are among the few titles that favors RDNA. AMD is said to be working on drivers, but looks like it performs well in nearly every game. Well rounded game card.

Last edited:
EDIT also on the blower... we all know there will be third party cards soon enough with better cooler options. Its not like Nvidia didn't release blowers as well.
Blower's are mandatory for oem cards because they know a large portion will be sold to mopes who have no idea about case cooling but have every clue about posting bad reviews when their card throttles due to heat.

It was discussed in an AMD & pcgamer The Full Nerd pcworld interview.
found it AMD talks Ryzen 3000 and Radeon 5700 series launch | The Full Nerd special edition Streamed live on Jun 27, 2019
Jump to the 46 minute mark.

Last edited:
Blower's are mandatory for oem cards because they know a large portion will be sold to mopes who have no idea about case cooling but have every clue about posting bad reviews when their card throttles due to heat.

It was discussed in an AMD YouTube pcgamer interview.

Agreed blowers are the only logical solution for cards people are buying to slap into their Dells and other off the shelf machines.

Its not just bad reviews, or forum QQs... it means actual returns and lost money returning cards that are perfectly fine.

It was discussed in an AMD YouTube pcgamer interview.
The problem here is that many reviewers are reporting throttling or near throttling, on their open test benches. Once these actually go into a case....

Now it seems like even with throttling, these are delivering the advertised clocks.

But man, these cards are hot and loud. They are basically going to be max loudness at all times, when actually inside a case.

I understand the reasoning for blowers. But they needed a better heatsink design for the blower.

And for those other hundreds of millions of gamers who don't own any RTX titles and/or don't care about it because at this point in time it's not enough of an effect to totally transform the user experience?

Lol muh peasant resolution rtx on what 2 or 3 titles? Honestly I couldn't give a shit. Not going back to play mid 2000s resolution just for partial raytracing and barely around 40-60fps.
This whole no rtx whinging is laughable because anything remotely comparable can't do it at a modern resolution.
Anything under 2080ti is pretty meh for rtx, too much of a compromise. Even full fat rtx on the ti is lacking, it's only partial scene rt, we are still a long way from full ray tracing let alone running it on something that doesn't cost 1200usd.

The problem here is that many reviewers are reporting throttling or near throttling, on their open test benches. Once these actually go into a case....
Now it seems like even with throttling, these are delivering the advertised clocks.
But man, these cards are hot and loud. They are basically going to be max loudness at all times, when actually inside a case.
I understand the reasoning for blowers. But they needed a better heatsink design for the blower.
They will have a new fan curve by friday. mark my words

I suspect a AIO liquid cooled 5700x will probably trade blows with the RTX2070 Super..

Dude, I really think the navi launch went well too but like where is this speculation coming from? Do you have any shred of evidence for this?

Reactions: Auer
like this
How many multi fan FE cards (not AIBs) does Nvidia make again... .. ....?

ChadD are you following Wendell at Level1Linux and his issues.

I haven't been following him... but I do like him. I know there are issues with 3000 and newer kernels ya. lol

Sounds like older LTS distros with older kernels are working... and new 5.0+ running kernels are not. haha

Complete backwards of what we expected. I'm sure it will get sorted this week haha

I was going to build a 3000 this week.... if I could get one. Although I have to admit I am getting really tempted by the insane deals on the 2000 chips. I might skip 3000 for a few months. A 2700x would make a very nice hand down later this year.

Lets not mix and match lower tier cooling solutions with the 'blower' design.
There is nothing wrong with 'the blower' design .. I think its quite elegant.
If a cheaper heatsink is used with triple fan, it would be the same outcome. There is no miracle sauce with triple fan. In fact the thing with 'the blower' might be that is quite effective allowing for a cheaper heatsink. I assure you if you have a proper heavy copper heatsink (with lots of nice thin fins and nice weight) blower fan and design would go along with it very nice, and with a nice top end blower fan it would be very silent.
There is nothing wrong with the blowet desing itself.

Dude, I really think the navi launch went well too but like where is this speculation coming from? Do you have any shred of evidence for this?

Did you ready ANY of the reviews..? Any..?

With a blower.... the 5700x is beating the 2060SUPER easily and closely matching the 2070S in many titles. So... without a blower and on Water.... ?

With a blower.... the 5700x is beating the 2060SUPER easily and closely matching the 2070S in many titles. So... without a blower and on Water.... ?

I will never understand these types of arguments. The 2070s could also be put underwater. Next we will here "just wait until the drivers are improved" or " just wait until devs optimize games for...." The navi debut was a disapointment. plain and simple. We wanted a disruption and got an ok priced midrange card for "these days." A shame.

It was discussed in an AMD & pcgamer The Full Nerd pcworld interview.
found it AMD talks Ryzen 3000 and Radeon 5700 series launch | The Full Nerd special edition Streamed live on Jun 27, 2019
Jump to the 46 minute mark.
That now makes a lot of sense. With Ryzen 3, new motherboards etc. released, OEMs will be sucking these babies up especially with the lower prices to sell. I am sure AMD will probably also have discounts for OEM buying CPUs and GPUs together.

I will never understand these types of arguments. The 2070s could also be put underwater. Next we will here "just wait until the drivers are improved" or " just wait until devs optimize games for...." The navi debut was a disapointment. plain and simple. We wanted a disruption and got an ok priced midrange card for "these days." A shame.
Ahmmm, drivers already improved from the first review driver to the 2nd and 3rd. Yes with new architecture, especially from AMD, driver improvements will occur at a more significant rate initially. Nvidia does better with new architecture, AMD sucks from past history. Just look at from VLIW to GCN, took AMD awhile to get the 7970 pumping good. Historically it matched two generation later Nvidia 780 Ti level of performance, correction exceeded.

Yes again about architecture improvements and developers making use of them - Doom was a good example using Async compute and AMD Shader Intrinsic with 25%-50% improvement. FarCry 5 using rapid pack math. RNDA has some very potent capability that can be used for gaming. So in this case there seems to be a lot of potential and if it is this close to the 2070 Super, I would bet future titles will swing the other way as time goes on.

Of coarse you don't understand. Obtuse?

$399 RX 5700x
$499 RTX 2070 SUPER

Doing exactly the same thing to both stock cards, won't change the $100 price difference. I understand that some don't care bcz mommy has a CC, but those who work for a living are not missing that glaring price differential.

How many multi fan FE cards (not AIBs) does Nvidia make again... .. ....?

I would bet NVidia sells a lot more first party GPUs than AMD does.

So the lack of blower cards is in no way a real hindrance.

It's a BS excuse for a design that no one likes.

AMD will probably get around to fixing it next release, and suddenly it will be the right time to leave blower cards behind. :rolleyes:

Yes, overclocking was broken in the reviews. So you have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, have you ever used water? Then when you factor in the cost of the block, fittings, etc you're looking at near 2080 super pricing, get out.

Overall, RX 5700 vs Super this-and-that is such a bummer to me as a GTX 1080 owner. Looks like I've got to wait another year for a meaningful upgrade.

After looking at the reviews I'm considering selling my 1080 and picking up a 2070S as they look to be damn close to the 2080/1080ti and it wouldn't be too bad of an upgrade for $200-ish out of pocket.

Going to disagree with you here, it seems to be 5-6% slower on average than the 2070 super and is $100 cheaper than the as of yet unavailable super. All of the reviews that I have read have been good to great, did I miss one?

Going to disagree with you here, it seems to be 5-6% slower on average than the 2070 super and is $100 cheaper than the as of yet unavailable super. All of the reviews that I have read have been good to great, did I miss one?

More like 10% slower than the 2070S. 9% difference at 1080p and 12% at 1440p and 4k according to HU and actually only 5% faster than the 2060S...

More like 10% slower than the 2070S. 9% difference at 1080p and 12% at 1440p and 4k according to HU and actually only 5% faster than the 2060S...

The problem these days is how much some games favor one GPU Architecture over another.

Some reviews have the 5700Xt barely faster 2060S and trailing 2070S by a lot. Others show 5700XT significanlty faster than 2060S, and trailing 2070S buy only a bit.

It all depends on the games chosen for the review.

This lets people on either side cherry pick the review that fits their narrative.

It's kind of like with CPUs. Which applications determines which CPU Architecture is best for your, now which games determines which GPU Architecture is best for you.

From the reviews I've seen these cards are pretty close(under 6%) in performance and like its been said some times even that number is lower depending on games the chosen. The issue is that's when paired with an almost $500 cpu, buyers of these cards aren't matching them with 9900k's. So they won't be seeing the best case difference in performance. If they don't care for raytracing they should save the money saved and get the 5700 card. Especially if they are looking at the 2060 cards, those things will choke doing raytracing and it won't be a good experience.

You missed the point.

Did you miss the head of Microsoft Gaming coming out on stage to stand next to Dr Lisa Su...? About RDNA..?
Understand, the trivial points you are making are in the past. You keep strumming them up, but Dr Su is a new leader, with new command of the Industry. There were several big name Developers also up on stage touting RDNA and what it will mean for their future games, etc.

So, I guess you missed the point entirely.

In that the whole entire gaming industry in 2020 will be played off RDNA technology. These are facts. In rough estimation 300 Million+ (Xbox/PlayStation/Cloud/PC -vs- 50k that buy TURING?)

Yes, overclocking was broken in the reviews. So you have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, have you ever used water? Then when you factor in the cost of the block, fittings, etc you're looking at near 2080 super pricing, get out.

:wacky:
aH… yes liquid cooling works.
You don't need to be concerned with my system, just look at Vega64 LC at $699 and how it outperformed the non-liquid cooled. Honestly, try and find a review where the LC version is worse on any card..? (laughable) Honestly, are you so angry at Navi... that you are trying to suggest to everyone here that LCing GPUs don't work?

-Or- are you trying to convince people that liquid cooling will not worth on/with Navi and be too costly, therefore nvidia..?

What rational are you using here, in making/backing your statements..? I've also noted that you kindly hid away the fact (in your mind), that Nvidia's RTX2070 SUPER is $499. (<--That price is glaring, knowing there are some Reviews where the $349 5700 is almost at the 2070's heals, on a blower design.) Then feign on understanding that AIO aftermarket Navi cards are coming, and a few could be LC and push Navi, since Navi seems to clock very well.

Wild that you are not giving AMD the benefit of doubt, suggesting that Navi's drivers won't mature. Specially after AMD placed such importance on Navi. I own a hodge-podge of both and like AMD's new Radeon Drivers, but not a fan of the whole GeForce experience thing.

I own an RTX2080 @ $800.

All of these SUPER & NAVI reviews favor the buyer, but Navi in almost any game is the clear choice to offer friends, because next year the whole entire Industry changes with the release of TWO colossal Console Systems and with Navi GPU you are full-on in the middle of RDNA + FreeSync2.0 + HDR craze. With both Consoles being released, Navi's technology and features will get much polish and optimization.

RDNA and thus Navi has much longer legs than Nvidia's Turing with "RTX On". It is a matter of fact, that Turing's replacement is just 10 months out, leaving Turing EOL.

Last edited:
Did you miss the head of Microsoft Gaming coming out on stage to stand next to Dr Lisa Su...? About RDNA..?
Wasn't it just so powerful? The way he strutted out on stage, pointing at his Halo shirt and slow-nodding. It brought so much emotion to the stream. Dr. Su could feel it as well.

Ahh bullshit, my Vega 64 AIO mod cost $50 (after $20 rebate) plus a bit for the little heatsinks / screws.

My Firestrke Ultra GFX score 6149

RX 5700XT 6019

RTX 2070 Pooper 5937

3dm-100801068-orig.jpg

bXXHjFqK7z-kGx2w75605wMRdKJzzlPrMYWS9Kup3KppJ6WHNZWdPqkyFb4rMGvXefveR5Kg_2uNj30OMQ=w1679-h944-no.jpg

BFgSkW4k_pBDVHtS796TNqaf3E0Y7nwUl6TgpoBnG-bKQjR4qWeYOwiMGfSx-R3qsrMvzcPDYiq3md5-9w=w1679-h944-no.jpg

UnyGsHiYJGZeYakLcrV_0AuJYuNACOb1X7Sd7fc_M6KQ73BcqP3gaIiQ3vyvC-6FHKb2owbPjq-g2Uo4Bw=w1679-h944-no.jpg

O1cRjknWwVEyGUpjU50YL_dkvOvwNXtALo1LTVLHHiyPbaoru9lzmFz94bG1AQI-CVZQeRp0XsKRXhH0Js=w1679-h944-no.jpg

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Back