AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT and RX 5700 Review Roundup

Just read some of the summary from TPU. Seems like they are kind of a downer. Hopefully all the bugs get worked out.

Edit. I only read the 5700 review. That post above me sounds promising.

to really see the potential we're going to have to wait for AMD to fix the drivers. I want to see how much can be squeezed out of these cards via overclocking.

Just looked at two reviews so far. FPS and Guru.

AMD definitely needed that price cut to be competitive. If they didn't, it would have been a rout today.

As it is, they are in the mix, but the results are very game dependent.

Need the HWUB big graph of 30 games to get a handle on the average.

From what I have seen so far, AMD fans will claim AMD victory, NVidia fans will claim NVidia victory, and fence sitters will choose by which games they play most, or flip a coin.

Just looked at two reviews so far. FPS and Guru.

AMD definitely needed that price cut to be competitive. If they didn't, it would have been a rout today.

As it is, they are in the mix, but the results are very game dependent.

Need the HWUB big graph of 30 games to get a handle on the average.

From what I have seen so far, AMD fans will claim AMD victory, NVidia fans will claim NVidia victory, and fence sitters will choose by which games they play most, or flip a coin.
The [H] ballers will get both, and xli them together. :p

What is availability date? I'm either blind or it is buried in reviews.

battlefield-5-1920-1080[1].png
battlefield-5-2560-1440[1].png

Reviews are a lot more positive than I thought they'd be. Looking forward to see how well things scale when Navi goes higher and lower.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Honestly this is shocking to me. Everything I read was performance would be near Vega 64, but this handily beats Vega 64 in every situation. It's not a 2080 TI competitor, but at $399 the 5700 XT is a serious threat to the rest of the Nvidia food chain.

Obviously Super was planned to mess with the AMD launch, and it would have wreaked havoc, if AMD didn't adjust their pricing to compensate.
Also obvious is the fact AMD's countering price drop must have been pre-planned as one of several advance contingencies based on whatever it was NVidia did.

Also obvious is the fact AMD's countering price drop must have been pre-planned as one of several advance contingencies based on whatever it was NVidia did.

In essence all they accomplished was cancel each other out and end up where they started from a competitive perspective, but less money in their pockets, and better deals for consumers.

It would be nice if they went one more round and pushed 5700 to $299, but that won't happen anytime soon.

And with the price cut it put them back on top of the news cycle. Can't wait for graphics card manufacturers (AIBs) to release cards w/out the oem blower. Then I may just snag one.

Last edited:
Looks like AMD has a clear winner. Another $ 50 off at 3950 launch and AIB options is when I will pick a few up....:D

I'd say the 5700XT looks mighty fine for 400 if one can have it for that amount in usd/euro. I expected it to perform significantly worse. I considered to get one for my new HTPC but no hdm2.1 would be a problem. Might as well have it in my main pc. Need some linux tests

thanks for the phoronix review, Schro

RTX 2060 Super makes the part completely redundant. It comes with the same RTX performance as the 2070, which is enough for RTX 1080p high. That's something Navi can't being to the table.

RTX 2060 Super is under 5% behind the 5700 XT:

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

Also, actual performance analysis on the low-latency gaming tech is curiously absent, which makes me wonder if it's even ready yet? Rushed product launch is rushed product launch.

Last edited:
In essence all they accomplished was cancel each other out and end up where they started from a competitive perspective, but less money in their pockets, and better deals for consumers.

It would be nice if they went one more round and pushed 5700 to $299, but that won't happen anytime soon.

Correct.
Dr Su knows kung fu and the mere fact she undersold the 5700 series is why Jensen can't be found. At these levels of Performance, the Price Cut wasn't necessary for many of the games People play. RDNA is a different breed than GCN.

Can't wait to see Navi & RDNA as time goes on and later games use/optimize for it.

RTX 2060 Super makes the part completely redundant. It comes with the same RTX performance as the 2070, which is enough for RTX 1080p high. That's something Navi can't being to the table.
And for those other hundreds of millions of gamers who don't own any RTX titles and/or don't care about it because at this point in time it's not enough of an effect to totally transform the user experience?

And for those other hundreds of millions of gamers who don't own any RTX titles and/or don't care about it because at this point in time it's not enough of an effect to totally transform the user experience?

If RTX is essentially a freebie (still need more reviews to see how close 2060S is to XT), then why not grab it. It might prove useful at some point.

I get your point if there is a big price premium for RTX features, but if it's essentially free, why wouldn't you grab it?

wow... i think i might pick one up. It is much better then i thought it would be. I am very HAPPY it doesn't have the ray tracing since it simply isn't time for it yet.

With almost a dozen RTX AAA titles due out in the ext six months, it's suddenly a lot more important.

And with he price down $100 (for USABLE performance of the 2070), the feature is suddenly enticing.

RTX 2060 Super is under 5% behind the 5700 XT:

View attachment 172474

Also, actual performance analysis on the low-latency gaming tech is curiously absent, which makes me wonder if it's even ready yet? Rushed product launch is rushed product launch.

But...
Nobody is buying the RTX2060 Super, or the 5700 for 4k gaming.
Please stick to 1k & 2k resolutions or be prepared to be laughed at for being a FUD dispensor.

If RTX is essentially a freebie (still need more reviews to see how close 2060S is to XT), then why not grab it. It might prove useful at some point.

I get your point if there is a big price premium for RTX features, but if it's essentially free, why wouldn't you grab it?
Huh? If a feature doesn't spark any interest in me why would I force myself to care about it just because other people do?

But...
Nobody is buying the RTX2060 Super, or the 5700 for 4k gaming.
Please stick to 1k & 2k resolutions or be prepared to be laughed at for being a FUD dispensor.

Those numbers hold for 1080p as well. I just posted the 4k, because people usually ignore it,.

relative-performance_1920-1080.png

So, on the RTX 2060 Super, you get 95 fps, and full RTX support. The 5700 XT gets 100 fps on the same benchmark, and no RTX support.

Which of the two is the better value? Given the number of RTX titles announced at E3, I'd think that to be obvious!

https://techreport.com/news/34632/n...to-cyberpunk-2077-and-other-titles-at-e3-2019

And given the RT performance capabilities of the RTX 2070, the 2060 Super should be capable of 1080p at high / 1440 at mid.

Last edited:
Huh? If a feature doesn't spark any interest in me why would I force myself to care about it just because other people do?

It's seems silly to me to not take a new forward looking feature if it were free. It isn't like it harms you having it there.

You may take that kind of view point, but I would bet it is shared by only a small minority.

It's seems silly to me to not take a new forward looking feature if it were free. It isn't like it harms you having it there.

You may take that kind of view point, but I would bet it is shared by only a small minority.
You do realize almost every high end piece of electronics we buy has features in it that are tacked on premiums but totally removable from the core experience? What, do you only buy cargo pants because, "Hey, it's two extra pockets for free!"

You do realize almost every high end piece of electronics we buy has features in it that are tacked on premiums but totally removable from the core experience? What, do you only buy cargo pants because, "Hey, it's two extra pockets for free!"

:rolleyes:

Cargo Pants look lame, and the pockets add weight, catch on things.

2060 Super RTX features cause zero harm. 2060 Super performs almost like 5700XT, uses less power, runs quieter and for the same price has RTX features.

Need my big blue HWUB graph to see how close 2060 Super is to 5700XT, but it is looking a little too close for comfort, IMO.

Just waiting on some FreeSync monitors that are on par with G-SYNC ones... And if AMD continues to close the gap I'll be ready to throw my money at them.

i'm really hopeful for the custom cards, the fact that the pos blower cooler was able to keep the card running at 1800mhz+ @ 43% fan speed in Brent's review makes me wonder what a non blower triple fan cooler will do or what the maximum clocks are on these gpu's. as far as the RTX thing goes it's user preference but at least we now have choices in that performance/price bracket which we didn't have, for me ray tracing just doesn't interest me at this time but maybe next gen it will.

:rolleyes:

Cargo Pants look lame, and the pockets add weight, catch on things.

2060 Super RTX features cause zero harm. 2060 Super performs almost like 5700XT, uses less power, runs quieter and for the same price has RTX features.

Need my big blue HWUB graph to see how close 2060 Super is to 5700XT, but it is looking a little too close for comfort, IMO.

Right, the only product released currently embarrassing anyone is the $329 3700x :D

relative-performance-games-1280-720.png

blender.png

That chip is going to have a long lifetime, as the expected basis for the PS5.

Back