AMD Radeon RX 480 Thermal Imaging and Overclocking Numbers?

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at WCCFTech have posted what they say are overclocking and thermal imaging results from the upcoming AMD Radeon RX 480. The overclocking numbers claiming 1340MHz in 3D Mark Firestrike are second hand and the thermal imaging video has been set to private so there isn't a lot of information there aside from the numbers below:

The second rumor related to the Radeon RX 480 comes from Chiphell (Via Videocardz) which reveals some overclocking numbers for the upcoming card. According to Chiphell’s admin, the Radeon RX 480 had clocks setting in at 1340 MHz for the core and 2050 MHz for memory (8.2 GHz effective).

OC3D's article has a little more information than WCCF's. Apparently the 71.9 temp was only from around a minute of stress testing. They managed to get a picture of the temp read out too:

21115240235l.jpg

Well it's common sense that all blower coolers need high fan speeds to work effectively ......yea yea knowone likes the noise then wait for custom coolers lol
While I bet noisy.....if the fan speeds are raised it cools just fine

I'm still thinking the 199$ price point is going to be amazing.
I agree......While it might take noisy fan speeds to do it, they will probably still match Fury x performance in the end.....Nothing to complain about for the price

1340 is quite a bit lower than the 1500+ rumors hmmm.

I read a thread that stated he did not change the power target .. eg so limited the oc potential. Also some reports that voltage control is still locked.

Another thread showed someone who had the card alt - tabbing with 1607mhz as the clock speed in crimson.

I doubt we will know for sure until the reviews are up - and i would not rely on this site to give much of an honest appraisal of the card either , so will be balancing my reading of the reviews.

I read a thread that stated he did not change the power target .. eg so limited the oc potential. Also some reports that voltage control is still locked.

Another thread showed someone who had the card alt - tabbing with 1607mhz as the clock speed in crimson.

I doubt we will know for sure until the reviews are up - and i would not rely on this site to give much of an honest appraisal of the card either , so will be balancing my reading of the reviews.
Was it actually in crimson? Because the only screenshot of 1607mhz i recall is Futuremark's own detection. That can easily be tricked with reference 1080 and some driver name editing.

LOL you know its funny. I have never seen H quote wccftech. They have also reported 1500, 1400 OC and 100w. Whatever happened to those thread. Seems like only worst case scenarios got posted lol. Literally disappointed that you quote wccftech which I am iffy about but only report the worst clocks someone has reported when most rumors have been saying it easily hits 1400, may be we should make a thread about those as well. SMH.

wccftech has reported 1400.
wccftech has reported 1500 on custom cards, Shit they have reported 1600 too lol
wccftech has reported 100w under gaming stock clocks and 65c

lets report all wccftech rumors if we are going to report 1340 overclock meaning it sucks. lol

One week before launch and H putting up threads about amd first 8000 cards and now picking the worst overclocking result and quoting wccftech! I say guns are locked and loaded. AMD better watch out. LOL

I am taking all these damn rumors with a grain of salt. The most roller coaster launch ever. I can't believe how long amd has kept their mouth shut lol. They only tried to shut up wccftech to get them under nda but that didn't work.

Waiting for them reviews.

Last edited:
I'm actually a bit concerned about the reference blower which is giving me pause from getting it.

While the exterior industrial design looks better internally if we compare with the 7870 -
AMD Radeon HD 7850 & HD 7870 2 GB Review

The heat sink itself doesn't seem as robust. The 7870 had a larger copper block and heat pipes. Also the the memory cooling seems to be better. The RX 480 might have a better air delivery mechanism with the openings on both sides and I assume an updated radial fan design.

7870 according to TPU also used around 100w while gaming albeit on a smaller surface area.

I wanted to "down size" to a lower TDP, smaller card that is a blower but I just don't know if I want to take the risk to resell now before launch.

Well the issue is that there will be greater effect on the secondary market post reviews and further more post release.

Also at the moment I'm rather actively playing Overwatch and so don't want to limp potentially 1 month+ on a secondary card. Otherwise I'd just swap into that and play some less demanding titles.

As an aside I don't really like AMD's new "water drop" strategy has this ends up having a huge devaluation effect across a huge number of market segments versus the traditional high end trickle down in which lower segments are somewhat buffered.

Well the issue is that there will be greater effect on the secondary market post reviews and further more post release.

Also at the moment I'm rather actively playing Overwatch and so don't want to limp potentially 1 month+ on a secondary card. Otherwise I'd just swap into that and play some less demanding titles.

As an aside I don't really like AMD's new "water drop" strategy has this ends up having a huge devaluation effect across a huge number of market segments versus the traditional high end trickle down in which lower segments are somewhat buffered.

You don't like consumers paying less?

If I translate you mean you don't like the low price of the card that may drop value of other higher end cards that people own? Or may create competition. That's what I got out of what you said. lol

I'm actually a bit concerned about the reference blower which is giving me pause from getting it.

While the exterior industrial design looks better internally if we compare with the 7870 -
AMD Radeon HD 7850 & HD 7870 2 GB Review

The heat sink itself doesn't seem as robust. The 7870 had a larger copper block and heat pipes. Also the the memory cooling seems to be better. The RX 480 might have a better air delivery mechanism with the openings on both sides and I assume an updated radial fan design.

7870 according to TPU also used around 100w while gaming albeit on a smaller surface area.

I wanted to "down size" to a lower TDP, smaller card that is a blower but I just don't know if I want to take the risk to resell now before launch.

Reference blowers are fine for the run of the mill - anyone wanting to overclock should know to wait for the aftermarket coolers (unless they don't care and plan to water cool anyway).

Reference blowers are fine for the run of the mill - anyone wanting to overclock should know to wait for the aftermarket coolers (unless they don't care and plan to water cool anyway).

Personal noise tolerance levels.

You don't like consumers paying less?
If I translate you mean you don't like the low price of the card that may drop value of other higher end cards that people own? Or may create competition. That's what I got out of what you said. lol

To clarify this is only an issue if you resell your existing cards and care about the value loss. If you just look at buying a new card in a vacuum then it is irrelevant.

With a traditional top to bottom release the hardest hits in terms of devaluation start from the top of the last gen, while the effect is somewhat buffered as you move down since lower segment products are not released. But because we have the high end release you have a firm idea of what to expect for the lower segments. This is also because I'm interested in new technology and features and not just performance.

But with the mid release strategy you have a large devaluation effect across multiple segments. Yet at this time we still don't have a clear idea of the technology and features of Polaris 10. So it's risky if I have a current card in the range that will be replaced by Polaris (which I do). I either take a risk now and sell, or I have to wait.

The other related issue is, and I felt it was going to always go this way, that AMD and Nvidia in practice will now tend to avoid direct competition against each other on release. Which is what we currently will be seeing, although both have launched the new generation they all sit in different tiers. So if you really actually wanted to compare competing products you have to wait for GTX 1060/ti/etc. or RX 490/etc.

1340 is quite a bit lower than the 1500+ rumors hmmm.

This is off the reference model that only has the 1x 6pin. You will have to wait for the AIB models with the additional power before you get to the bigger numbers (hence the higher price points).

Sapphire italy quoted the WCCFTech article with the 1500 oc on air claims. If you want to see it as an endorsement, be my guest, but it wouldn't surprise me that to achieve that you will need AIB custom coolers.

edit to add:

NeoGAF

Back