AMD Radeon RX 480 Owners Club

ok then how do I disable wattman?

lol there is no way to disable it. When installing driver, don't enable it.

*I double checked it again. What a pos software. There is literally no way to disable the dump of an overdrive app. It's baked into Crimson and once you enable it, it's on for the life of the driver. I'm gonna DDU my son's 290x rig and blast this crap out. lol

Last edited:
ok cool thanks for the links I followed the instructions and now have control over my fan speed :)

ok cool thanks for the links I followed the instructions and now have control over my fan speed :)

:thumbs up:

Ok confirmed for myself at least ya have to reinstall the driver to actually disable the rubbish that is wattman.

...Continuing on,
2u6lkl5.jpg

3.) Install VRM plate and sinks (I have 5 more copper sinks, but they're apoxied to my other gpu currently). I used AS Ceramique on the back of the plate, the included adhesive for the sinks.
t9cikg.jpg

4jumub.jpg

4.) Apply non-conductive TIM to GPU die and install cooler.

Temps started at around 42c, slowly rose until it stabilized at 50c. Core clock can't quite hold 1400 steady, probably insufficient cooling on the VRMs (The aluminum is quite hot, but the sinks are just warm, and my case fan isn't on full blast). Core temps should improve--ASC has a 24hr burn in period (if you do it properly and allow it to cool every hour or two), but I imagine the major factor there is the loop temperature. Ambient is about 77F

Fire your photographer.
Sorry, was in a rush before work,tinypic doesn't help any by shrinking the already poor quality photos. I'll update/consolidate here with better photos when I get a chance.

Sorry, was in a rush before work,tinypic doesn't help any by shrinking the already poor quality photos. I'll update/consolidate here with better photos when I get a chance.

Did you put heatsinks on the lone vrm?

Did you put heatsinks on the lone vrm?
If it doesn't have a pad/sink with the stock cooler, then no--I only covered the VRMs that are cooled by the stock cooler. I also haven't put anything on the RAM modules yet--will probably make an aluminum plate for them too.

If it doesn't have a pad/sink with the stock cooler, then no--I only covered the VRMs that are cooled by the stock cooler. I also haven't put anything on the RAM modules yet--will probably make an aluminum plate for them too.

Clearly there is a choke on the left that is not cooled. Ignore it at your own discretion or peril.

here's a good breakdown at the component level for the nitro+, talks about component temp limits etc.

here's a good breakdown at the component level for the nitro+, talks about component temp limits etc.

Yea, as hinted in the video, the two vrm that are not vcore are either aux or memory. Typically AMD/Sapph puts the memory on left when vcore is on vcore is on the right. That would make the other vrm in question aux. There's also not much difference between the old vs new pcb except not putting on a vrm that isn't enabled in the first place. The early boards with the extra vrm was never enabled in the first place lmao.

I was able to hit 1400 on mine at w/.025 volt bump and ran furmark gpu stress test for 10+ minutes. this was on the nitro+ 1342Mhz version.

Managed to remove the sinks from my old GPU, installed on 480. Now I'm able to run heaven at 1380 for a while (at stock or slight undervolt), but it eventually crashes. The 480's fans ramp up (though obviously nothing happens because they're not connected) after a while, I assume because the vram is getting hot (the card reports 60c max core temp). When I get some time, I'll make a plate for the vram, and maybe figure out a way to attach the Sapphire LED module to the card other than just letting it hang out...speaking of, here's a better photo:
20161008132435.JPG

(click here to see full-resolution image)

I had to RMA my PowerColor PCS+ 390 and got back a Devil RX480 as a replacement. Got me the 1330Mhz version instead of the 1290. :)

*Update*

Have the card 3 days. Found out it doesn't really clock well. Small overclocks lead to black screen/video crashes.

Tho it's somewhat of an upgrade from my 390, it's no overclocker (n)

Attachments

• Devil RX480.jpg
    Devil RX480.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
^^I would totally take the 480 over the 390. Try the unlocked Devil bios. Its in this forum somewhere.

**Found it.
PowerColor Outs "Unlocked BIOS" for RX 480 RED Devil

Hmm, I need a new card now. I sold all my old cards, 7970s/290x/970. I forgot to leave one spare lol. I think I have a gtx250 in the garage hidden somewhere. I might try n find a ref 480 and slap my mcw82 on it, but geeze they are getting scarce already.

Last edited:
Just got my Asus 480 installed with a EK block on it. I haven't really started to overclock yet. Just wondering what is a safe voltage, or if need be can I just max out the voltage that afterburner allows?

^^I would totally take the 480 over the 390. Try the unlocked Devil bios. Its in this forum somewhere.

**Found it.
PowerColor Outs "Unlocked BIOS" for RX 480 RED Devil

Hmm, I need a new card now. I sold all my old cards, 7970s/290x/970. I forgot to leave one spare lol. I think I have a gtx250 in the garage hidden somewhere. I might try n find a ref 480 and slap my mcw82 on it, but geeze they are getting scarce already.

Flashed to this "Unlocked Bios". Only thing that's different is the power limit is now +50% instead of only +5%. Still can't get the memory to 2250 and cannot get the core past 1345 :mad:

try just doing core oc first then bump up the mem. my 280x get higher core oc with slightly less oc on the mem.

try just doing core oc first then bump up the mem. my 280x get higher core oc with slightly less oc on the mem.

I don't think it's the case with your 280x but the rx 480 reportedly gets more of a performance boost from raising memory clocks than it does from raising core clocks. I haven't bothered to overclock my 480 yet so I can't confirm it but that's what I've read.

ah I see. then maybe he should try lower core, higher mem.
anybody here try the xfx rx480 GTR? jayztwocents did a vid on it and it looks pretty impressive!

ah I see. then maybe he should try lower core, higher mem.
anybody here try the xfx rx480 GTR? jayztwocents did a vid on it and it looks pretty impressive!

I have that very card.

Currently running it with a 10% across the range underclock. Running it stock with 3D Mark etc. it gets quite hot and noisy so I think he may have had a picked sample?

Works fine, just not as cool as his. In his video Firestrike hit around 61 degrees at 1288. Mine hits 76 degrees with a clock of just 1160! Mine is in a case though.

All settings on automatic in Wattman other than the underclock.

Last edited:
I have that very card.

Currently running it with a 10% across the range underclock. Running it stock with 3D Mark etc. it gets quite hot and noisy so I think he may have had a picked sample?

Works fine, just not as cool as his.

Its a very high asic. I've seen possibly higher asic hit over 1500 on stock volts. That said, yer card should run pretty cool case aside. The stock fan profile does not engage fans till 60c or so, thus if you have a low airflow/hot stuffy case you'll want to override the stock fan profile.

Still intrigued as to what the small switch does on the top of the card.

Yes but what's the difference between the two settings?

OC'd settings. If you check the XFX site, it says it there though buried in their wall of features.

Luckily for you, we have factory overclocked the RX GTR at the BIOS level and have fine tuned it for optimal gaming performance.

OC'd settings. If you check the XFX site, it says it there though buried in their wall of features.

Yeah did a search a couple weeks ago but gave up. Some say its just a duplicate backup BIOS. I guess I'll have to flick the switch and find out.

From what I've read, the RX480 responds better to memory overclocking than GPU overclocking. Especially the factory overclocked models.

Apologies for the thread necro, but to any rx480 owners who haven't upgraded, I scored a deal in FS forum ( to try out Freesync that my display supported but gtx970 didn't). What is the current go-to for undervolting to maintain boost speeds? Wattman or something else like a bios flash, Afterburner or just be lazy and hit 'efficiency' in drivers? Card is an OEM design Sapphire, 8GB, 6 pin, with Accelero Mono and sinks on ram and vrm. I see that 'compatibility mode' is not present in the drivers, or else I didn't find it.
TYIA

I used AMD's software, but I never really pushed it hard. Wasn't really a fan of sapphire's, although I did use it to increase the maximum power limit (which limits your performance even before overclocking, at least on my nitro+).

Wattman is easy enough to use but doesn't autoload profiles on boot. I suppose this why folks bios mod. I went straight for 1050 for the top 3 power states but haven't tried to push lower.

Wattman is easy enough to use but doesn't autoload profiles on boot. I suppose this why folks bios mod. I went straight for 1050 for the top 3 power states but haven't tried to push lower.
For MEM Speed or which? Curious as a Vega56 pwner here. Thanks. Just explain with more details please.

1050mV for gpu core voltage. Memory speed and V are untouched. After more testing I got it stable down to 1010 but am using WattTool instead. It maintains stock boost clocks of 1266 very well at that voltage. I'm not keen on overclocking with a 6 pin reference card.

1050mV for gpu core voltage. Memory speed and V are untouched. After more testing I got it stable down to 1010 but am using WattTool instead. It maintains stock boost clocks of 1266 very well at that voltage. I'm not keen on overclocking with a 6 pin reference card.
Right on, thanks for replying :)

Back