AMD Radeon RX 480 Owners Club

Good Point, However I don't like making new threads for yes/no questions, it just seems cheezy. Although, If someone did unlock an RX470, wouldn't they be hanging out in this thread?
If it were me I'd make a new thread documenting what I did and my experience. I might link to it in this thread, but posting about it in this thread wouldn't be my first thought, and since what I own isn't an RX 480 I wouldn't be discussing it in this thread either--I'd be either in my new thread or an RX 470 owners club thread (if it existed).

Good Point, However I don't like making new threads for yes/no questions, it just seems cheezy. Although, If someone did unlock an RX470, wouldn't they be hanging out in this thread?

They might not be unlockable right now. Usually on a new node the dies are actually cut down, hardware locked. Later on when yields improve you are likely to get software locked dies because its a waste of resources to cut them down in hardware when yields are great on the chip, amd tends to do this. Like most r9 390 are flashable right now to 390x. I have personally unlocked 2 out of 2, one for me that I later sold and one for my little nephew that has been working for months now stable. But when they initially came out they were hardware locked.

The game Warframe keeps randomly hanging when on my ship and the frame rate exceeds 250 - 270 fps. So I wanted to test a lower OC to see if I could live with it for that one game. I only have one run on my R9 290 to compare it to and that was from last year before I WC'd it. Anyways here it is.
Result

I jacked my memory on the RX 480 to 8400 to see if it can run at those speeds. So far so good.

How much power is that beast pulling from the wall when all cores and gpu are maxed like in combined physics tests? Just curious

Don't have a meter. ;) Wish I knew though. Might get one at a later date when I build my next PC just for comparison.

Anyone having issue with theirs flickering and artifacting when set to 144hz? I've read some situations online and tried different cables but I can't get it to work at 144 - only at 120.

Anyone having issue with theirs flickering and artifacting when set to 144hz? I've read some situations online and tried different cables but I can't get it to work at 144 - only at 120.
When is it flickering? while playing games? Or when using a browser?

With 16.8.2 are we still stuck with 2100 OC on the memory? I fired up GPU-Z and even though I set the memory to much higher, I'm capped at 2100.

Found the temp probe in HWINFO. :)

Last edited:

This guy is tagged as an AMD employee.

This guy is tagged as an AMD employee.

I'm sorry I'm not understanding how this is worded - is he saying its the displays fault?

Or is the hotfix supposed to fix it? Cause I have those drivers and Im experiencing it still

I'm sorry I'm not understanding how this is worded - is he saying its the displays fault?

Or is the hotfix supposed to fix it? Cause I have those drivers and Im experiencing it still
looks like its a known issue there working on driver wise to me...in other words they working on it

It is a known driver issue and they are working on it. :)

it might be a bandwidth issue rather than chiefly a resolution issue. my nitro 470 blinks in and out at 4k60hz but not at 4k30hz.

Raising the memory speed on these cards benefits them a lot more than the R9 200 series.

I bought an Asus strix 480 O8G and pair it with LG 27UD68 freesync. Running Overwatch in 4k freesync is a beauty. The only thing I will say is that the card is very long, I had to take out one of my drive bays temporarily to fit it into my case. You may have trouble with the length if you have mini-atx or mini-itx case.

I bought an Asus strix 480 O8G and pair it with LG 27UD68 freesync. Running Overwatch in 4k freesync is a beauty. The only thing I will say is that the card is very long, I had to take out one of my drive bays temporarily to fit it into my case. You may have trouble with the length if you have mini-atx or mini-itx case.
I like the triple fan card better imo....well worth having to rearrange the case! aside from water cooling you cant really do any better.

Thought someone might enjoy a little Thief DX11 vs Mantle benchmark. RX 480 1415 core 8700 mem.

Thief on the highest settings Mantle API.
ugLYcsL.jpg

Thief highest settings DX11 API.
UENV9ey.jpg

Just got the Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC (1342 Mhz) and I'm impressed by the card's performance but not the drivers.

It replaced a tri-fire HD6990/HD6950 so I have lots of experience with AMD drivers.

I use an Eyefinity 7680x1600 setup and on my previous cards there were no issues configuring Eyefinity using the legacy drivers.

On this new driver Eyefinity would use the default resolution of 2 of my monitors instead of the max resolution, without the option to change resolutions during setup.

I ended up using CRU to remove all resolutions except 2560x1600 to finally get Eyefinity setup to recognize the layout I wanted.

I am also not impressed that Hydravision has been left out of the driver package (again), a great desktop manager for Eyefinity users.

On top of everything else my computer goes to sleep randomly after upgrading to the Win10 Anniversary update - playing games, typing emails, doesn't seem to matter even though I removed the sleep option from power managerment. I had to roll back the update to make the computer usable.

When I did get the card working I was impressed how fast it was and still be so quiet - my HD6990 was louder than my wet/dry vac. The 8GB VRAM is a vast improvement when dealing in resolutions over 1080p.

It also doesn't spew hot air like the old cards - they could do double-duty as a space heater.

Anyone else having issues with the Win10 Anniversary Update and the RX 480?

EDIT: Fixed it by doing a complete reinstall of Windows 10, then installed the RX 480 driver.

Last edited:
Anniversary Update from Microsoft royally messed up my PC with the bug that crashes systems when you use a secondary drive for program installs and temp files. I'm going to wipe some drives this weekend. Just haven't been in the mood to remember all my unique passwords and sign into a ton of websites again.

One thing that AMD could work on is Flash video. So sick of going to Facebook and my drivers resetting my card. One driver it works and the next driver it is broken again. Seems to be working quite well for the 16.9.1 driver set.

Anniversary update killed my USB-wireless adapter. So far, my graphics stack is still intact. Not sure how long that's going to last. (To say that the Anniversary Update is a clusterfuck is a master of an understatement.) Good luck!

Anniversary Update from Microsoft royally messed up my PC with the bug that crashes systems when you use a secondary drive for program installs and temp files. I'm going to wipe some drives this weekend. Just haven't been in the mood to remember all my unique passwords and sign into a ton of websites again.

One thing that AMD could work on is Flash video. So sick of going to Facebook and my drivers resetting my card. One driver it works and the next driver it is broken again. Seems to be working quite well for the 16.9.1 driver set.

Yeah, haven't had that issue yet. I have flash set to ask before running and generally don't watch videos on facebook, though.

New version of TriXX on sapphiretech.com, v1.6.0 and 1.6.1:
New features :
  • Whole new look and interface
  • Nitro Glow - customizable RGB LED lighting system contains a set of five different mode
  • (only enable in the SKUs equipped RGB LED lighting system : Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480/470series)
  • Fan Check function- check the cooler’s status and contact customer support in case of problems
  • (only enable in the SKUs equipped Fan Quick Connect system: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480/470 , Sapphire Nitro RX460 series)
  • Set up 5 set of profile to be of (fan curve / GPU,memory clock/ voltage), and name it as their wish
v1.6.1 additionally notes, "provide the individual Fan RPM information in Fan check result."

The interface is unnecessarily complex, imo, but now you can actually see and modify more than just the power limit.

I am auditioning Trixx right now. Seems to work well with my Sapphire card that I flashed with the Asus bios. I really don't like the Asus software. Asus has some of the greatest hardware engineers in the industry, but are balanced with some of the worst software engineers. Then again they were the ONLY ones to have all the options in the bios so that I could OC my card easily for a long time. I just wish they could get their software more stable in the future. Have a stable branch and a experimenter's branch. I would love to beta test for them and help get it right for release.

Thanks for the flash video issue information. I thought it was hardware or something.

Just ordered a new ASUS ROG Radeon RX 480 STRIX-RX480-O8G-GAMING 8GB. Yes, I copied and pasted, it's late.

~$265 shipped was too good a deal to pass up.

Hello everyone! So for a month now I've owned the MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8G card. Great card but I have an issue/question to those that own this card. It involves the cooling system: Does yours after a while decide to run the fans at 100% for a few seconds then stops (happens at or near 60c) and does this over and over and over? I think normally (like right now) it spins it up to 17% which is fine but shouldn't be spinning it at 100% and back down over and over. So...anyone else have this issue with this card? Do I just maybe need to apply a normal fan profile?

I seen others around here with that issue. check that drivers/vid bios are up to date. if that doesn't help then, yes, just set a fan curve. if you do that i'd play with the fan speeds to see what is the faster that you can tolerate and set up a curve based on that as the max. you'll be able to dial it in and get better cooling that stock auto.

I think I read there was a bug in Afterburner that was causing some 0% and 100% fan issues, though I thought the bug was that they would get stuck at 0% or 100%. Maybe try without Afterburner if you're using it.

The Saphire Nitro OC I ordered should be here thursday, I'm at 1080p on an old i7 920 so it should hold me over until I do a whole new build and be a big improvement over my shader unlocked 6950.

I've had my Sapphire Nitro+ OC 1342 for a week now and after upgrading my FX8350 to a 6700K i'm seeing 80+ FPS on BF4 at 1440P with ultra settings with no AA post or otherwise or HBAO. Overwatch seems to know that I have an a video card/monitor setup that supports freesync and set itself to 4k ultra settings and when monitoring it's locked in at a solid 60FPS. I'm loving my new system, coming from said FX8350 and R9 270X.

I think I read there was a bug in Afterburner that was causing some 0% and 100% fan issues, though I thought the bug was that they would get stuck at 0% or 100%. Maybe try without Afterburner if you're using it.

The Saphire Nitro OC I ordered should be here thursday, I'm at 1080p on an old i7 920 so it should hold me over until I do a whole new build and be a big improvement over my shader unlocked 6950.

Eh the weird thing is this happened before I even installed Afterburner but I'll check the Guru3D forums where Unwinder is and see. I have set a fan curve though and the highest it will now go is probably...60% if it ever needs to get that high. 23% idle (can probably drop it a little lower but I hear more my case fans than the card anyway). (Jeez I can't spell his name)

Last edited:
I have a XFX GTR and I just downclocked my card by 10% to get rid if the high fan noise.

Watercooling an RX 480 Nitro+ OC:
1) Remove backplate, shroud, and stock heatsink (note: Sapphire RGB logo in shroud may be detached and reused later by removing two screws)
2) Duplicate VRM cooling plate (optional, tools [to be] used: hacksaw, drill, file)
2d17peu.jpg

...more to come later.
(Interesting note: two of my vram modules had an extra thermal pad, and (consequently?) the adjacent two vram modules appear to have no contact with their pads)

I have a strange problem I fuirst bought an xfx 8 Gb 480 and had huge fan issues tried everything I could find on the internet to fix it spent days, ended up RMAing the card but that took over a month so I upgraded to a XFX RX-480P8DFA6 installed the new drivers had similar issues were I would watch a video using Kodi , finally I seemed to have fixed the 100% fan unning by turning off hardware acceleration, now when I am gaming the new Tomb raider game my card reaches 89c but the fan doesn't speed up, I have tried to manually turn up the fan using wattman but that doesn't seem to work I have tried other software to control fan speed and nothing works of course I uninstalled the other software for controlling the fan speed . anyone have any idea what is going on?

I have a strange problem I fuirst bought an xfx 8 Gb 480 and had huge fan issues tried everything I could find on the internet to fix it spent days, ended up RMAing the card but that took over a month so I upgraded to a XFX RX-480P8DFA6 installed the new drivers had similar issues were I would watch a video using Kodi , finally I seemed to have fixed the 100% fan unning by turning off hardware acceleration, now when I am gaming the new Tomb raider game my card reaches 89c but the fan doesn't speed up, I have tried to manually turn up the fan using wattman but that doesn't seem to work I have tried other software to control fan speed and nothing works of course I uninstalled the other software for controlling the fan speed . anyone have any idea what is going on?

Read below thread on using RTSS to control hw acceleration. Regarding clock problems in game, are you running other apps at the same time?

The AMD How To Thread

Back