AMD Radeon RX 480: Doom at 1440p and 144 Hz

cageymaru

Fully [H]
AMD Radeon RX 480: Doom at 1440p and 144 Hz.
AMD shows off Radeon RX 480 running Doom at 1440p/144Hz | VideoCardz.com

PC World article.
Polaris inbound: AMD teases unannounced Radeon RX 480 graphics card

AMD has inadvertently confirmed that they are planning to launch Polaris 10 as X80 solution, which usually means 250-300 USD price tag. Although no detailed information was provided alongside this leak (leak, because twit was later removed), it is believed that R9 480 can provide more frames at 1440p than R9 380X is able to deliver at 1080p. If Polaris 10 is capable of sustaining 60 FPS at 1440p, then performance-wise it would be put between R9 390X and R9 Nano.

AMD-Radeon-RX-480.jpg

Last edited:
This is a good sign - too bad FPS wasn't turned on in the top right and what settings are being used. This just makes me more excited about the potential for Vega.

Better than 390x performance at 1440p for under $300. Sign me up!

Those monitors are 1080P. So either the test was done at 1080P or they were using VSR.

Those monitors are 1080P. So either the test was done at 1080P or they were using VSR.
Yeah an article somewhere else mentioned they used Virtual Super Resolution.

Just a shame we do not know more details about settings such as is it ultra or ultra+nightmare.
Cheers

Last edited:
yeah it said vsr but am I trippin because of the curve? that looks way wider than a normal 1080p mon.
re the card, I hope its got a bit more umph than that when it finally arrives. that seems like barely a step up for the price range they are aiming for...

I dunno how it performs, but I wonder what the point of listing the monitor as being 144 Hz would be if they weren't running the game at a high FPS.

Marketing, according a friend, they will not show FPS, it's a FreeSync Monitor, so they will talk about the 144hz monitor and how smooth the gameplay is, then no matter what kind of FPS it's it will be smooth due to FreeSync.

Can I just point out that the monitor being 144hz is really just marketing misdirection? 144hz =! 144fps

The settings aren't mentioned either.

This is literally a demo of a card (we don't even know if it's full Polaris 10 or the cut die) running doom at 1440p at unknown settings and unknown framerates.

The 144hz on the monitor sort of 'primes you' into thinking 144fps, but this is really just meaningless as far as performance metrics go.

As useful as a third nipple on the elbow

Can I just point out that the monitor being 144hz is really just marketing misdirection? 144hz =! 144fps

This is literally a demo of a card (we don't even know if it's full Polaris 10 or the cut die) running doom at 1440p at unknown settings and unknown framerates.

The 144hz on the monitor sort of 'primes you' into thinking 144fps, but this is really just meaningless as far as performance metrics go.

Technically we don't even know that the game was running at 1440P either. This is a game running on a GPU (that no one can see) at an unconfirmed resolution, unknown game settings, and an unknown frame rate.

The only facts are that the monitor Is capable of 144Hz and supports FreeSync. And AMD's new card will run Doom.

Yeah, same as the Hitman demo.

Tbey started talking about Polaris ages ago, and tons of people held off on buying their own products because of it.

They boasted about a significant time frame advantage over nv.

Meanwhile we know nvidia is already producing at least two gpus, gp100 and gp104.

1080 and 1070 launched and are launching imminently, respectively.

Demos are vague.

Does this inspire confidence?

Yeah, same as the Hitman demo.

Tbey started talking about Polaris ages ago, and tons of people held off on buying their own products because of it.

They boasted about a significant time frame advantage over nv.

Meanwhile we know nvidia is already producing at least two gpus, gp100 and gp104.

1080 and 1070 launched and are launching imminently, respectively.

Demos are vague.

Does this inspire confidence?

Yes. Because AMD told us that their release schedule is for the Back to School time period. They haven't wavered from that statement so far. Back to School in America is August / September unless there is a school that goes earlier? As long as they are on schedule I'm going to wait and see what both corporations have on the table before making a decision. That's the best course of action for me.

My R9 290 tears up DX12 games and DX11 games. This upgrade is for the fun of the hobby. I don't make money off GPUs.

And also it is running FreeSync.
So who knows what the average fps was *shrug* unless an article shows a photo with the fps in the corner.
Annoying as I bet all of this info and fps falls under NDA as well bah.
Cheers

Yes. Because AMD told us that their release schedule is for the Back to School time period. They haven't wavered from that statement so far. Back to School in America is August / September unless there is a school that goes earlier? As long as they are on schedule I'm going to wait and see what both corporations have on the table before making a decision. That's the best course of action for me.

My R9 290 tears up DX12 games and DX11 games. This upgrade is for the fun of the hobby. I don't make money off GPUs.

Similar boat here - from 96 until 06 I was buying new graphics cards yearly (S3, 3dfx, nVidia, AMD) - even though I just got my Furys last December, if Vega performs a good bit better then Fiji then it's just icing on the cake and will accept the huge loss on my Furys when they debut.

Similar boat here - from 96 until 06 I was buying new graphics cards yearly (S3, 3dfx, nVidia, AMD) - even though I just got my Furys last December, if Vega performs a good bit better then Fiji then it's just icing on the cake and will accept the huge loss on my Furys when they debut.

2 more days to at least get an idea where AMD is slotting their lineup. I usually purchase cards in the $450 range. It was really hard not to purchase a Nano for $425 late last year. My wish list is very short; H.265 encoding / decoding and 8K video acceleration. Nvidia got 1/2 of it right; I'm hoping that AMD gets both features on their new cards or Vega.

2 more days to at least get an idea where AMD is slotting their lineup. I usually purchase cards in the $450 range. It was really hard not to purchase a Nano for $425 late last year. My wish list is very short; H.265 encoding / decoding and 8K video acceleration. Nvidia got 1/2 of it right; I'm hoping that AMD gets both features on their new cards or Vega.

$450 is the sweet spot for me too (though if Vega has a watercooled Sapphire or XFX for $499 I'll go that route). It would be really neat for AMD to come out of the gate with a Vega X2, but the likely hood for that is next to none though it would be great timing with Titanfall 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda coming.

yeah it said vsr but am I trippin because of the curve? that looks way wider than a normal 1080p mon.
re the card, I hope its got a bit more umph than that when it finally arrives. that seems like barely a step up for the price range they are aiming for...

I have a 27" monitor and it doesn't look anything like that one

I don't see a point of a 27" 1080p monitor.
Me too. Has to be 1440 at least. I'm returning a 27" ASUS 1080p I just picked up. One because it's a TN panel! :p Washed out colors. And two, because it seemed pixelly. I'm coming off a 24" 1200 though.

Gaming is ok, but reading web pages. It's bloody awful.
Really? I am using a 32" 1080p (actually SMART TV because the 23" monitor I was using sucked when trying to create mods for Skyrim) and web pages look just fine to me. Now Gaming looks outstanding with VSR on this 32". And when using a controller I can pull away from the screen a bit and relax.

Really? I am using a 32" 1080p (actually SMART TV because the 23" monitor I was using sucked when trying to create mods for Skyrim) and web pages look just fine to me. Now Gaming looks outstanding with VSR on this 32". And when using a controller I can pull away from the screen a bit and relax.

Maybe it's just my monitor. It's a Samsung S27A950D 120Hz. Using latest drivers on HD7950. But to me, Web pages look awful. It's one of my reasons to upgrade this combo. I want 1440p 144Hz. I just have to choose between Freesync and G-Sync. That is totally dependent on whether I go AMD or Nvidia this time around. The 480, doesn't suit my needs. I just hope the $300 Polaris is better, or I will have no choice, but to go with Nvidia.

Maybe it's just my monitor. It's a Samsung S27A950D 120Hz. Using latest drivers on HD7950. But to me, Web pages look awful. It's one of my reasons to upgrade this combo. I want 1440p 144Hz. I just have to choose between Freesync and G-Sync. That is totally dependent on whether I go AMD or Nvidia this time around. The 480, doesn't suit my needs. I just hope the $300 Polaris is better, or I will have no choice, but to go with Nvidia.
No you could be right. My monitor/TV is a lowly vizio but seems fine. Has terrible dark areas that span the screen horizontally that only affect words in pages on websites but doesn't seem to affect my games.

Did you accidentally enable MLAA in the drivers? I have the same monitor and everything looks great close up, but I need to sit 2x arm's length away. At that distance I can barely read stuff on the screen. I too am deciding on a card and monitor combo. For some reason companies think that all Americans want 27' - 34' widescreen monitors on the high end. I want a 42' 4K monitor preferably with HDR. You can't even get a GSYNC monitor at that size as far as I know. I can get a Korean FreeSync though.

Maybe I'll splurge and get one. Tired of waiting.

Did you accidentally enable MLAA in the drivers? I have the same monitor and everything looks great close up, but I need to sit 2x arm's length away. At that distance I can barely read stuff on the screen. I too am deciding on a card and monitor combo. For some reason companies think that all Americans want 27' - 34' widescreen monitors on the high end. I want a 42' 4K monitor preferably with HDR. You can't even get a GSYNC monitor at that size as far as I know. I can get a Korean FreeSync though.

Maybe I'll splurge and get one. Tired of waiting.

I shall check that, thanks.

Sounds like you and me might have the same kind wish list.

If you enabe MLAA in the drivers it will smear everything with a FXAA style filter. Text will look like crap especially.

To get to it click the Gaming tab. Then Global Settings. There you will see Morphological Filtering. Make sure that is always off.

It's fine in games sometimes; even then it can smear text. I call it FXAA on steroids. It has no performance penalty for enabling it though. I only use it if a game has broken MSAA or no option for it.

Also make sure that Clear Text is enabled in Windows 10. And that your monitor is setup properly in Windows. The latest driver set my monitor wrong and I had to use DDU, allow it into Safe mode, disabled Windows auto driver update for the video adapter before installing the new drivers. If I installed 16.5.3 over the default Windows 10 driver I had all types of issues just trying to open Radeon Settings.

Oh and make sure that your monitor is hooked up with a Displayport cable. It wouldn't do 120Hz over HDMI the last time I tried some years ago. It looks odd at less than 120Hz on the desktop. Like something just isn't right.

Back