AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB CrossFire Review @ [H]

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by Kyle_Bennett, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardForum Junkie

I agree.
    A lot of work is needed to make it viable for me.

2. toddw

toddw [H]ard|Gawd

Guys, this is what I was trying to get at... and I don't think was clear.

Brent took frametime stutter into consideration.

Last few comments makes me wonder if follks understand this. The IQ and the resolutions Brent used in testing, TOOK XFIRE STUTTER INTO CONSIDERATION. The IQ and fps you see in the review already accounted for it.

I don't mean to say it's not an issue, or to say whether it's worth it or not, just wanted to be clear on that matter for myself and everyone else. Sorry don't mean to rant, done.

3. Thannatos

Thannatos n00bie

Looong time lurker (since 2000), so forgive the noobiness but I have a question and this is obviously the best place to ask.

I see in the reviews and discussion that SLI/X-fire have input delays and stutter. My last build was a pair of gtx 280s to finally max out Crysis (1) at max setting and 1920x1200. Yes it has been a while and only recently have I had time to look at a new build. I am actually leaning 1080 and 1 or 2 based on responses...

Understand, I am not a competitive gamer, but I enjoy FPS' and I am quite sensitive to stutter and tearing, but I do not have a good feel for how sensitive I am to inout lag. That said, I have found that setting up SLI, and in the control pannel forcing v-sync and 0 prerendered frames always gave me smooth as silk performance with no noticable input lag.

So, my questions: 1) does V-sync forcing refresh rate to the monitor help with the pacing? 2) Is zero prerendered frames something you guys are using with multicards, snd do you find that it increases or decreases i put lag?

4. 460cidpower

460cidpower [H]Lite

Just buy one good 1080 and be done with it. I've sworn I'd never do CF/SLI ever again, each time I do I regret it until I dump it for one good card.

{NG}Fidel and CSI_PC like this.
  5. viscountalpha

viscountalpha [H]ard|Gawd

It's still not the year for two card solutions. I still just want a single 1070 right now.

6. CSI_PC

CSI_PC [H]ard|Gawd

I would wait a little longer just for prices to correct for custom AIB models, and also to see which partners release custom BIOS to increase voltage to say 1.5V to under 1.2V.
    The problem is the 1080 is not well priced (same situation with the 980 at launch) and depends how much this affects you in terms of value.
    Also most of us are expecting the Titan/1080ti to really benefit from having more GPC and SM, and this can be more important moving to latest generation games, but that is seen to be at least 4 months away even for the Titan model (and the Ti could be several months later).
    And then the rumours of the 490/490x equivalent releasing probably in Q4 as well.

But then thinking like that would get into the mindset there is never a good time to buy a card :)
    Comes down to how much value is a concern to you for getting that good performance.
    At a minimum worth waiting another 3-4weeks if you can to get the best 1080 that suits you, and by then we should have a better idea if custom BIOS will be released by partners.
    Asus has released their XOC bios now, but that is designed for good watercooling solution and does not have much flexibility as it is more for the extreme OCer.

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  7. vjhawk

vjhawk n00bie

RX 480 crossfire looks bad. Looks like a single GTX 1080 is the way to go.
    Or you can wait for 1080Ti or RX 490. But looking at performance of the RX 480 ~ 1060 level or slightly less, the best we could hope for is the RX 490 to compete with the 1070.