AMD Radeon R9 Fury X Video Card Review @ [H]

I think you missed the last sentence.

So yet another shitty COD game that has memory management issues. Who knew?

Remember that when you run out of VRAM, your system will texture swap to the memory. When you run out of memory to texture swap, it will use the page file which is located on the hard drive to texture swap to. Since each is slower than the VRAM, expect stuttering. I purchased a SSD and that allows most games to run fluidly when my system runs out of VRAM. Case in point would be Shadows of Mordor on the highest settings.

If you run out of vram, you'd get stuttering regardless of HDD or SSD, because the PCIe 3.0 bus would still be a huge bottleneck for data transfer. BO3 simply has some serious memory leak issues I reckon.

If you run out of vram, you'd get stuttering regardless of HDD or SSD, because the PCIe 3.0 bus would still be a huge bottleneck for data transfer. BO3 simply has some serious memory leak issues I reckon.

Not in Shadows of Mordor on my system. There is some when you first enter a zone, then it disappears after the map loads. It can be a memory leak, or they are just using the 8GB console VRAM potential as a baseline. Probably why AMD went with 8GB of VRAM on the R9 390 / 390x. You can tell from the initial testing that AMD wanted 8GB of VRAM on the Fury X, but HBM2 wasn't ready.

Back