AMD Radeon R9 Fury X Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X Video Card Review - We review AMD's new Fiji GPU comprising the new AMD Radeon R9 Fury X video card with stacked chip technology High Bandwidth Memory. We take this video card through its paces, make comparisons and find out what it can do for us in real world gameplay. Is this $649 video card competitive? Is it truly geared for 4K gaming as AMD says?

God I love this site! Again an honest and straight to the point review. The Titanic is sinking. Kudos to Brent, Kyle, Steve, and the rest of the gang for the honesty, unlike the preview and leaked bullshit over the last couple of weeks. Had to be [H]ard not to jump in and voice the truth over the last couple of weeks. Thanks again guys! :)

Last edited:
God I love this site! Again, and honest and straight to the point review. The Titanic is sinking. Kudos to Kyle, Steve, and the rest of the gang for the honesty, unlike the preview and leaked bullshit over the last couple of weeks. Had to be [H]ard not to jump in and voice the truth over the last couple of weeks. Thanks again guys! :)

Brent did all the hard work here.

Disappointing they weren't able to bring better competition. I don't want to see the GPU market resemble the CPU market.

AMD needs to step up there game. Come on. You don't put out a card when the 980 comes out. You wait abit more to put out a card after the 980 ti comes out and when you do put out a card, the card sucks. I know a lot of people do not care but I care about the HDMI 2.0 because I use a 4k TV for gaming. AMD needs to make so big changes because it just lost more market share with this card. Not like it had that much to start with. Man I was really hoping this card would lower the price point of NV cards but it doesn't seem like it is going to do that. Its sad really since NV will most likely put out some new cards in the next 6 months that will blow away AMD and they will be still seating there watching.

Well I dont regret buying a 980ti at all yesterday. Cant wait for it to arrive!

Now I can't wait for people to say......"yeah, but it's the first one of it's kind, blah,blah,blah."

AMD I am disappoint. I think this might be the straw.

What a bust.

Frankly it's not worth $649, it might sell well at $500, or $350 because it is a bit better than the 290X (now 390X)

Please, before you hang me......look at what I own.;)

Soo at the end of the day nvidia knew where to aim to cripple amd months in advance with the TI.

That said the only ray of hope is that at least amd isn't drastically outclassed by nvidia yet and still has a shot at bouncing back with the 400 series then again piscal could be even more brutal to amd than maxwell has been. I hope that isn't the case though as nvidia's (well to be honest most companies business practices when they enjoy market leadership) is not favorable.

Ouch. I was hoping for a win for AMD.

Same, or at least a lot closer to the 980 Ti. This is extremely disappointing. The future still holds some better results with DX12 and better drivers, but I'm not sure if that can close the gap here.

Nice work on the review, as much as I looked forward to this card I'm not paying $649 for that performance!

Man oh man.
I made an impulse buy on one of the GTX 980 on that EVGA Father's day sale and was mad at myself for not saving my money till reviews came out. Whew! Now I can just OC the crap out of that 980 and be super happy.

Sad day for GPU competition though...

Swing and a miss, no point in upgrading GPUs this gen for me.

On a side note; I can see the trend in the numbers, but the game selection is quite green sponsored maybe a little more balancing would be good.

On a side note; I can see the trend in the numbers, but the game selection is quite green sponsored maybe a little more balancing would be good.

Our gaming suite has been recently all replaced, now with new games. These are new games, popular games, games people are playing now. My only regret was not having enough time to also include Batman or Project Cars.

Meh... kinda disappointed with this card, only 4GB and no HDMI 2.0 is what really bothered me. I wasn't expecting this card to have a huge leap against NVIDIA's current high end offerings but some tests show it is on par or slower than the GTX 980TI. Guess using HBM didn't really help AMD either especially that 4GB limit will hurt it's performance on higher resolutions.

Great review Kyle and Brent. We trust this place and get to read awesome reviews in the process.

AMD had two options with Fiji. Price it at half($500) the price of the Titan-X, but provide just a little less performance, and make it look like the obvious choice if you were picking between the two (much like the $300 Radeon 4870 vs $650 GTX280). Or try to go head to head with nVidia's number two product in price and offer almost the same performance with some caveats, but come out looking like the loser because at the same price the nVidia card is the better option, a repeat of the Radeon 2900XT vs Geforce 8800GTS.

It's depressing to know that AMD had the chance to increase marketshare and mindshare with a card that at $500 would look like an obvious choice, but at $650 become as irrelevant as it's failed ancestor. AMD had a chance, but instead it seems like they didn't learn anything from the FX-8150 or Radeon 2900XT.

I'm a bit disappointed. It's easily slower than GTX 980 Ti and custom 980 Ti's are way faster.

flop at $649.

I think AMD should CANCEL 390/390X or any other rebrand / refresh of previous generation and price these fury cards within the range of 500$. Fury X card is great, but slightly slower than Titan X (maybe ASUS and MSI might release a refined version that might be faster than Titan X) therefore 500 is perfect price for this card to be hit.

We use some older games in our gameplay suite that are still very much technically relevant and challenging. On newer games we focus on Triple A titles that realize high sales rates with gamers. We do not pick or chose games based on any kind of Red or Green Team support through the devs or publishers. We do not "balance" our gaming suite on which company paid more money.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sorry just had to let that one out.

This.

I love all the fanboys over the previous weeks and months telling us how awesome this card would be. Not quite the killer card that was expected, huh? Hate to blow my own trumpet but this is right on where I thought it would be in terms of performance.

Sad, I was hoping for neck and neck results from the Fury card. Sitting out this round until 16nm is ready from both Nvidia and AMD.

Great review. Other review articles I've skimmed so far are tip-toeing around the issue -- Fury X is a semi-dud.

Seems like all of us suggesting Fury/Fiji may end up a 2900 XT were close to the money.

Priced comparatively with GTX 980, the Fury X would have been a hit.

Thing is I don't think they could have priced it at 500, if the rumors were correct in that the fury x was going to be priced at $750 - $850 and targeted being a better value than the titan X then nvidia knew exactly what it was doing when it launched that TI at 650 to really really cripple amd hopes and dreams. Amd probably designed the fury x with the ~800 price point in mind hoping that they would have breathing room to make the money back from the added cost of the water cooler and interposer but nvidia threw a freight train at their plans with the TI priced at $650.

Been a long Time AMD/ATI user, but they appeared to have just flat out lost this cycle. No Way I would buy a fury x at $650.

I only read the apples to apples and I saw the Fury X match or be within 5-8 FPS of the 980 Ti on Min and AVG for pretty much all games. Wattage was within 20 watts and it was 25 degrees cooler. For the same price as the 980 Ti I'd say this is alright. It doesn't blow the 980 Ti out of the water but it runs cooler and doesn't cost more.

I only read the apples to apples and I saw the Fury X match or be within 5 FPS of the 980 Ti on Min and AVG for pretty much all games. Wattage was within 20 watts and it was 25 degrees cooler. For the same price as the 980 Ti I'd say this is alright. It doesn't blow the 980 Ti out of the water but it runs cooler and doesn't cost more.
Without 6 months of hype, and maybe launching a few weeks earlier, this card would have been perceived much better. Always the uphill battle for AMD.

And I was labeled as an nVidia shill by the red team when I pointed out that 4GB will turn out to be a catastrophe for Big Fiji.

Now [H] says the same. I got one phrase: "Asta La Vista Baby!"

Back