AMD Radeon R9 and R7 Series Re-branding Introduction @ [H]

Wtf are you talking about. It isn't a speed binned 7970 if it is GCN 2.0.

The new audio capabilities look pretty awesome... But the fact that it's not offered in the complete mainstream -> enthusiast stack is going to hurt its ability to catch on. Hoping this won't fall to the wayside... :(

It's a sweet thing knowing that I can crossfire an R9-280X with my GV-R797OC-3GD and not have one card bottlenecking the other. I can't wait for Black Friday to try it out! :D

PCB change/revision and a few features of course, pretty standard for refreshed cards.

Personally believe it will be slightly tweaked, speed binned 280x die. Same format as always for many years. E.g. even in 2004 with R400s; - X800XT > X800XT PE > X850XT
You are ignoring facts and the public showcase. I suggest you go check that link out, because you are speculating while the opposite truth has been out for weeks by AMD.

It's like changing the lipstick on a super model...different color yet still the same features.

the biggest disappointment for me was that there were not GCN 1.1 replacements for pitcairn.

this compounded by the fact that in wanting clear blue water between the 7790 and 260x the resulting overclock wrecked what was previously a fantastic perf/watt ratio in the older card.

I love my new R9 series GPU. I admit AMD's drivers are still horrible. And it is a shame AMD has all these great GPU's and crap software to run them. But still My R9 270 completely annihilates my old 650 Ti. AMD's colors even look better than Nvidia. I wanted a GTX 660 last year but I had to settle for the 650 Ti instead. Then I got the chance to buy the 660 I saw the more powerful R9 270 for cheaper and jumped on it. I am not disappointed at all. I got the HIS R9 270 iPower IceQ X² model for $179. And I love it. However I would have better drivers if I got the 660 for $186. But I would not have as good performance. I am thinking of maybe crossfiring but I might do better just getting a R9 280X instead.

Last edited:
I love my new R9 series GPU. I admit AMD's drivers are still horrible. And it is a shame AMD has all these great GPU's and crap software to run them. But still My R9 270 completely annihilates my old 650 Ti. AMD's colors even look better than Nvidia. I wanted a GTX 660 last year but I had to settle for the 650 Ti instead. Then I got the chance to buy the 660 I saw the more powerful R9 270 for cheaper and jumped on it. I am not disappointed at all. I got the HIS R9 270 iPower IceQ X² model for $179. And I love it. However I would have better drivers if I got the 660 for $186. But I would not have as good performance. I am thinking of maybe crossfiring but I might do better just getting a R9 280X instead.

Translation: AMD has better perf/$ but nVidia makes better drivers. Just a not quite so obvious way of spreading the nVidia message. Add it to a thread that basically says AMD's got nothing but old recycled sku's and consider it a job well done.

Back