AMD Radeon R9 290X Video Card Review @ [H]

No games out use it yet, but games are coming, Thief will use it, Star Citizen will use it.. and some others
Hmm that's disappointing. Not even Battlefield 4 seems to have it and not much information available either.

You know the guy who did the review owns 2 titans. You calling him an idiot?

I also use, err, Titans - nvidia are a/holes, I have always had great respect for Kyle, I'm assuming that's who, can't see the post, Ipad limitation, our home PC specs are almost identical but I feel AMD have just done what was expected...re-read my post, I would never call someone an idiot - for that, it takes one to know one, since I will not call myself an idiot, neither would I say that to someone...

BTW, didn't I just defend you in a different post? Please don't assume I'm either red or green, I am simply interested ingood honest discussion, where everyone feels ok expressing in a way that can be understood and is inoffensive..gl to those buying a 290x, UBER switches is one NV should have had by now...

I know that the 290s are only generic boards compared to the OC 780 I am looking at.

There is nothing generic about the PCB design of the 290x/290. Top notch components. Even includes a video card first International Rectifier voltage driver that is faster than any voltage controller that has been used on a video card to date.

AMD is still catching up.
I've been gaming on my Titans for close to a year now and AMD finally comes out with this crap?

AMD burnt us once with the MRSP of the 7970 @ 599, don't everyone forget to easily.

Spends $2000 on Titans.

Complains about price of 7970.

Some Nvidia owners have a Reality Distortion Field active I guess. You should check out this thread, talk about the end of the PC gaming era because the GTX 780 Ti is rumored to not going to be a GTX Titan "LE". If you buy the highest-end card with an absolutely ridiculous price, you shouldn't expect it to be a wise investment.

I've ordered a R9 290X and I fully expect it to be outclassed and about half the price around the same time next year. If you don't expect this to happen, you live in a fantasy world. It doesn't mean it will but you won't be disappointed if prices adjust because the competition finally steps up.

Spends $2000 on Titans.

Complains about price of 7970.

yea, human brains have to defend their behaviour no matter how stupid it is.
if price is high, wait a few months, so I did and got a 7970 for 320euro which at release here was 520. I did that, no whining or complaining or stupidity buying overhyped and overpriced Titans. I also didnt buy the world fastest card the 7990.

I understand that products have a price, it tends to go down after a while, then I buy :eek:

With all of this talk about Mantle, did anyone stop to think that if they run the R9 290X any hotter, it might explode?

Yes, I raised that point in one of the "Mantle" threads a few weeks ago. (Then I stopped posting there because I felt I've said what I had to say)

NVidia will probably drop the price of the 780 down to $550...and i would think quite a few people would indeed opt for the 780 due to the better thermals at stock. The 780 at $550 is still a very good value.

That being said, if i was buying a top-end card right now - it would be a 290X because of my monitor setup.

I was checking the reviews between the 780 and 290 with regards to BF3. I will be playing BF4, Titanfall and wow.

BF3 1920x1080
780 Std 108fps (902/1502)
780 MSI 116fps (954/1502)
780 MSI OC 133fps (1020/1754)
290 Std 115fps uber (1000/1250)
290 OC 124fps uber (1125/1575)

From what I have found, it seems like the OC 780 are doing better then the 290OC from the reviews. I'm still researching as I am looking to upgrade shortly and I know that the 290s are only generic boards compared to the OC 780 I am looking at.

I really hate loud system so having the 290 on uber isn't something I would want to live with for a few FPS difference or 10%. If other vendors can bring the noise level down then I would conceder it. However I still siding with NVidia currently due to the overclocking performance with the 780 and the noise level. Also G-sync looks impressive.

I hope that some 290 vendor cards come out soon so I can compare them.

Mantle. Go amd and wait for third party coolers.

You forgot to mention your card is a lot more efficient and quieter

And $150 more expensive, and a custom cooler. :rolleyes: Wow, selective facts. Good card and excellent purchase but, then again, when the custom coolers come out for the 290x, then we can compare more accurately.

And $150 more expensive, and a custom cooler. :rolleyes: Wow, selective facts. Good card and excellent purchase but, then again, when the custom coolers come out for the 290x, then we can compare more accurately.

I got my windforce gtx780 for 540.00:D amazon warehouse deals 3 percent cash back 3 weeks ago so i guess that would make it at around 524.00 out the door. Deals are out there you just have to know how to shop and of course use coupon codes. In fact new egg has one right now for 5 percent off.

Yes you are correct when the custom coolers are released for r290x it should be better but by the time that happens the TI will be released .
290x is a great card for the money but not better then a non reference /cooler gtx780 at 1080p when overclocked and is comparable at higher resolutions . All that while using less watts and is close to 20c cooler at full load. Btw my card idles at 31-32 c full load is around 75c when overclocked , at stock about 65c
It's great news for us consumers that these cards will finally drop now so nvidia can release faster cards. I can see why people who bought the titan 8 months ago really got their moneys worth running the fastest cards on the planet for home use.

Last edited:
I got my windforce gtx780 for 540.00:D amazon warehouse deals 3 percent cash back 3 weeks ago so i guess that would make it at around 524.00 out the door. Deals are out there you just have to know how to shop and of course use coupon codes. In fact new egg has one right now for 5 percent off.

Yes you are correct when the custom coolers are released for r290x it should be better but by the time that happens the TI will be released .
290x is a great card for the money but not better then a non reference /cooler gtx780 at 1080p when overclocked and is comparable at higher resolutions . All that while using less watts and is close to 20c cooler at full load. Btw my card idles at 31-32 c full load is around 75c when overclocked , at stock about 65c
It's great news for us consumers that these cards will finally drop now so nvidia can release faster cards. I can see why people who bought the titan 8 months ago really got their moneys worth running the fastest cards on the planet for home use.

Great find. :D 99% of the time though I usually find great deals after they have already expired or are out of stock. :( :D I really do want a 290 x which will be way better than even my 2 x 6950 which are good.

Great find. :D 99% of the time though I usually find great deals after they have already expired or are out of stock. :( :D I really do want a 290 x which will be way better than even my 2 x 6950 which are good.

Go on slick deal.net to find future deals . amazon was basically offering 10 percent off warehouse deals via a coupon . Did not last long .. The r290x is a great card for the money and has potential with mantle and the DSp sound chip if programmers use it. I want to see this card using a non reference cooler for around 579.00

About a week ago I saw newegg having a special 7990 for 499.00 which is clearly alot faster card then a 290x. I was about to return my card and get this but felt it was too hot and not a good single card gpu solution for overall performance since you have to use profiles in games

If it's on slickdeals, you're already too late when it comes to 90% of those deals.

Quartz-1, living on the edge there... Ensure your 12v rail rating(s) can handle that kind of load.

Single 38A rail. :)

But I won't be buying until after Christmas. I'll let the early adopters find the issues. Plus the 4K monitor may have come down again in price.

If it's on slickdeals, you're already too late when it comes to 90% of those deals.

I will have to agree at this statement since the average person like yourself does not know how to effectively monitor or capture the deals as they are released. You have to be on top of it but nonetheless they exist.

Huh? It meets or beats the 780 for $100 less with the stock cooler/clocks right now with the stock fan only running at a max of 55%. If you're that worried about temps just bump the max fan cap up 5-10%.

To suggest you --NEED-- a watercooler + OC as a "only possible saving grace" for the R9 290X...you must've been using hyperbole.

Yea thats it.

I would agree with the OP that water cooling or superb air cooling is the only saving grace for this card. Even at $100 cheaper, its runs VERY hot, even if its safe for your card, you're going to notice that heat output in the room that you're using it in. I can deal with the increased power draw since I'm a power junkie but the heat output is ridiculous when a 780 is running 15-25c cooler depending on the fan profile. The 7950 and 7970 were both hot running cards and a primary reason I sold mine and went with a GTX 670 and now a 780, both run much cooler than AMD's last generation and this generation of cards and it is a BIG deal to me.

how come we don't see something like the corsair cpu water coolers released for this?
How efficient would a single 120-140 cooler work on a gpu ?

did they set out to create a new type of prescott?

Single 38A rail. :)

But I won't be buying until after Christmas. I'll let the early adopters find the issues. Plus the 4K monitor may have come down again in price.

One review site said they did not get a good overclocker so the 290x could potentially be a mixed bag going past uber mode. I am curious to know what types of non reference boards and coolers will be released in the next few months but then again nvidia will combat this with the release of the TI which is supposed to be substantially faster then a GTX780 and I'm sure still maintain that efficient output per performance ratio

well the numbers posted by freebo had something I didn't think you would see
BF3 1920x1080

290 OC 124fps uber (1125/1575)

water cooled lox or lin I don't know

how come we don't see something like the corsair cpu water coolers released for this?
How efficient would a single 120-140 cooler work on a gpu ?

did they set out to create a new type of prescott?

I wish corsair would release something because the H100 cpu cooler has been awesome performer for me, less dust , cooler case , faster overclock then air cooling all for 100 bucks.
It is probably because the amount of copper needed for the block to cool this huge card idk could get costly along with a radiator. I don't know how a non reference fan that cools the 290x card inside the case using a triple fan design will be much help since the card at load runs at 95c. All that hot air needs to be exhausted. Your comment about the Prescott in relation to the 290x is because AMD is obviously behind in terms of engineering design versus nvidia. To compete with the gtx 780 and titan AMD had no choice but provide space heaters /video card technology to the consumer

I would agree with the OP that water cooling or superb air cooling is the only saving grace for this card.
Plenty of reviews on this card out now show that it won't throttle if you just bump the fan cap a bit or leave on "uber" so you can agree with OP but still be factually wrong. Also even if you watercool the card you'll still have to deal with the same amount of heat in your room if you have poor ventilation, the GPU will just operate at a lower temp. Temp and heat are not the same thing.

how come we don't see something like the corsair cpu water coolers released for this? How efficient would a single 120-140 cooler work on a gpu ?
Most people like full length water blocks if they watercool which are card specific and since what is popular in the video card market changes frequently they can't predict or risk producing too much of any given GPU water block or they'll go out of business. Also that market is generally not interested in kits, they tend to DIY the whole loop.

Watercooling a GPU is just as efficient as doing so with a CPU: which is to say not particularly but its easy to go up in radiator size vs increasing air HSF size and that makes all the difference. I wouldn't try to use anything less than a dual 120mm fan radiator with these high end GPUs that dump 200+ watts of heat into the loop if you want to watercool.

That is with the GPU by itself by the way.

If you want to watercool a CPU + GPU on the same loop I'd look at a 3 or 4 120mm fan radiator. Yes that is at a minimum. People sometimes end up using car radiators and stuff when they water cool the whole PC for a reason.

Last edited:
Some Nvidia owners have a Reality Distortion Field active I guess. You should check out this thread, talk about the end of the PC gaming era because the GTX 780 Ti is rumored to not going to be a GTX Titan "LE". If you buy the highest-end card with an absolutely ridiculous price, you shouldn't expect it to be a wise investment.

I've ordered a R9 290X and I fully expect it to be outclassed and about half the price around the same time next year. If you don't expect this to happen, you live in a fantasy world. It doesn't mean it will but you won't be disappointed if prices adjust because the competition finally steps up.

If you are buying any video card over $150 it isn't a wise investment. I wish I could be like my cousin and be happy with a GTS450+ 3.6GHZ E5620, he's had that system forever it seems like while I'm the exact opposite. :eek:

The 290x looks nice besides being like my old gtx 280s in regards to heat, though my 280s are still working to this day(in friends PCs). If those things can last this long the 290x shouldn't have to worry about exploding/meltdown. May not be the best for folding because of the heat, maybe the 780s are better in the PPD/watt area. Still jealous that core17 barely uses the CPU for AMD while I still need a core for Nvidia.

As soon as AMD adopts or makes something like G-sync/lightboost and fixes frame pacing in EyeFinity (if they haven't fixed it), especially for older game titles I'll consider them. Mantle doesn't really sway me currently unless Creative Assembly begins to use it extensively.

Can't beat the price on the 290x vs. the 780, maybe now prices can be competitive this year for the 770 as well. Unless Nvidia can stomach relatively same performance to AMD at a much higher price :rolleyes:

I would agree with the OP that water cooling or superb air cooling is the only saving grace for this card. Even at $100 cheaper, its runs VERY hot, even if its safe for your card, you're going to notice that heat output in the room that you're using it in. I can deal with the increased power draw since I'm a power junkie but the heat output is ridiculous when a 780 is running 15-25c cooler depending on the fan profile. The 7950 and 7970 were both hot running cards and a primary reason I sold mine and went with a GTX 670 and now a 780, both run much cooler than AMD's last generation and this generation of cards and it is a BIG deal to me.

I agree with this statement. Even though I am a power junkie myself i find myself trying to save energy throughout my house. My computer office is upstairs and is in the hottest part of my house. After investing in a KW meter and determining what is generating vampire power on my desktop i was surprised to find out that my old UPS , AC66 adapter, NEC monitors, subwoofer, and other accessories generated heat even when off. After upgrading to a green cyber power ups and green surge protectors which cuts vampire power to my entire computer and peripherals has reduced the temps by at least 3 degrees which means the rooms stays cooler and is faster to cool down. I cant imagine what the 290x would be like in my type of environment in the summer. In the winter i would not care . Nvidia is big on ISO standards and participates to be a friendly environmentally organization. That is why I am sure most companies would rather pay the up charge to put titans into their super computers to save on energy costs vs current AMD cards

Last edited:
We don't have to imagine. Hardocp review states 440w load with 290x, 360w load with 780.

So for the time you are gaming, the 290x will produce 80w of heat more than your 780. Basically having 1.33x 60w bulb on in the room.

When you're on the desktop, the extra 3w going into the room won't be noticeable.

Even though I am a power junkie myself i find myself trying to save energy throughout my house.
You will not save power or reduce heat in your house if you water cool. Water cooling reduces the temp of the part being water cooled.

The heat is then dumped into your room/house via the heat exchanger aka radiator.

Power usage on the video card itself will change little if at all + you have to add in the cost of all the fans + pump you use...so your power bill will remain the same or go up a bit.

Its a little depressing how you guys don't understand the difference between temperature and heat.

edit: The only way to reduce heat in your house with water cooling is to put the heat exchanger outside the house so the heat is dumped there instead of being trapped inside with you. There are people who have done this but its not easy to do for most homes and is fairly rare. There is also geothermal pc cooling which will also dump the heat outside or in the ground under your house but is even harder to do. By all means post pics if you do either of these things please, always get a kick out of it.

Nvidia is big on ISO standards and participates to be a friendly environmentally organization.
So is AMD but top end GPU's from either have been lousy to terrible in terms of energy usage at load for years so this really doesn't mean much at all.

Last edited:
We don't have to imagine. Hardocp review states 440w load with 290x, 360w load with 780.

So for the time you are gaming, the 290x will produce 80w of heat more than your 780. Basically having 1.33x 60w bulb on in the room.

When you're on the desktop, the extra 3w going into the room won't be noticeable.

If you are in a small room 12x12 ,12x15 standard size guest bedroom or office it will make a difference. Plus you are not taking into account that your overclocked cpu, ram, motherboard and all other peripherals generate heat. At full load I pull about 460 to 500 watts with my rig at full load so with a 290x add more watts to that. At idle i am at 279 watts with 2 monitors.

You will not save power or reduce heat in your house if you water cool. Water cooling reduces the temp of the part being water cooled.

The heat is then dumped into your room/house via the heat exchanger aka radiator.

Power usage on the video card itself will change little if at all + you have to add in the cost of all the fans + pump you use...so your power bill will remain the same or go up a bit.

Its a little depressing how you guys don't understand the difference between temperature and heat.

So is AMD but top end GPU's from either have been lousy to terrible in terms of energy usage at load for years so this really doesn't mean much at all.

Holy crap did you just change around everything i just said rofl. If you take into account everything in your house to save energy you can benefit from lower energy consumption which will in turn make your house easier to cool down. AMD will exhaust a hell of a lot of heat into a room even when at idle

At full load I pull about 460 to 500 watts with my rig at full load so with a 290x add more watts to that.
You're doing your math wrong if your current GPU is included in that 460-500w estimate. It won't be 460-500w + <insert R9 290X watts>.

Otherwise you'd need a 1000w+ PSU to run a R9 290X in a system and only a 650w PSU is required.

The math you'd need to do would be: 460-500w - <insert your current GPU watts> + <insert R9 290X watts>. The difference will work out to be roughly the same as a 60w bulb depending on the efficiency of your PSU which is Druneau brought that up.

Holy crap did you just change around everything i just said rofl
Nooo.:confused: You're talking about saving power and reducing heat and I just laid out the reasons why you will do neither by water cooling a R9 290X or anything for that matter. Not to mention you were agreeing with a guy who was saying watercooling the R9 290X is pretty much required + thought it'd reduce his room heat, which is incorrect on both accounts.

Last edited:
ROFL I would agree

Unless he is running a Celeron he might make be ok at idle but at full load he will hear a big loud pop with smoke coming out the back

you would be crazy to get a 290 X with that PSU

Apparently you guys didn't get the memo:

59320.png

CPU: Intel Core i7-4960X @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200i
Hard Disk: Samsung SSD 840 EVO (750GB)
Memory: G.Skill RipjawZ DDR3-1866 4 x 8GB (9-10-9-26)

And that's from the WALL. A high quality 450W PSU will do fine as long as you don't overclock like mad, are using old power hungry hardware (Core 2 Extreme) or have a 6+ HDD's in your PC.

Nice review! I guess it would take 3 of these to support a 2560x1440 in triple-eyefinity mode on max settings, which is higher than UHD.

You're doing your math wrong if your current GPU is included in that 460-500w estimate. It won't be 460-500w + <insert R9 290X watts>.

Otherwise you'd need a 1000w+ PSU to run a R9 290X in a system and only a 650w PSU is required.

The math you'd need to do would be: 460-500w - <insert your current GPU watts> + <insert R9 290X watts>. The difference will work out to be roughly the same as a 60w bulb depending on the efficiency of your PSU which is Druneau brought that up.

Yeah that's right that is my total power consumption off my computer with monitors.

Back