AMD Radeon R9 290X Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD Radeon R9 290X Video Card Review - AMD is launching the Radeon R9 290X today. The R9 290X represents AMD's fastest single-GPU video card ever produced. It is priced to be less expensive than the GeForce GTX 780, but packs a punch on the level of GTX TITAN. We look at performance, the two BIOS mode options, and even some 4K gaming.

Last edited:
YAY. FInally

A brief reading of the review, very nice job, finally, 4k benchmarks.

Thanks [H]

Last edited:
HOMERUN! AMD definitely pulled out a winner here, incredible!

HOMERUN! AMD definitely pulled out a winner here, incredible!

I'm kind of confused on that. Other than 4k, the rest seems pretty "meh". Uses more power and doesn't perform better than a Titan, and barely better than a 780.

I'm kind of confused on that. Other than 4k, the rest seems pretty "meh". Uses more power and doesn't perform better than a Titan, and barely better than a 780.

Then you should take the time to actually read what we wrote if you are confused about that statement because I think we went into it fairly granularly.

Did you miss the part where it's $450 cheaper than the Titan? And beats it in some reviews.

and doesn't overclock for shit

techreport only squeezed 90mhz out of the core, but memory did overclock well

Barely or not, its overall faster than the 780 and $100 cheaper. Not sure what the problem is?

You are on [H]. I hope you arent worried about power usage with a high end graphics card. Do you run your CPU stock?

Impressive performance for a $550 price tag. Disappointed with the heat output and power draw. It's a trade off, I suppose: Titan performance realm for almost half the price.

Awesome review as always!

Nice review. But damn, gonna need a dedicated 20 amp circuit if you plan to run quads.

Yeah, the only interesting part seems to be the price. I'm sorry, but ~50 watts(about 80 more than a 780) more consumed, pretty hot(95C, wtf?) doesn't really make the price all the interesting. The 780 was priced pretty stupidly, but it smashed the 7970 pretty easily while this doesn't really smash the 780.

Keep in mind on that temp this is a reference card. I'm looking forward to custom cards with custom cooling, and perhaps better power efficiency as well, to improve upon the thermals and power. We shall see.

Another great review. It looks like a real winner. Too bad I can't afford one, though my 7850s are doing just fine I guess.

Keep in mind on that temp this is a reference card. I'm looking forward to custom cards with custom cooling, and perhaps better power efficiency as well, to improve upon the thermals and power. We shall see.

I'll give it a chance, so yeah let's see what happens with the custom cards.

Just look at the single card 4K gaming charts, the AMD R9-290X delivers better performance in Crysis, Metro, Far Cry and Battlefield! :eek:

I don't care about the 4k resolutions...1600p/1200p is all that matters to me and the bottom line is that you can get an AMD 'Titan' for half the price of an Nvidia Titan...great job by AMD...now if Nvidia drops the price on the 780 to match the 290x then Nvidia can still come out on top...then again with Mantle coming out that adds another unknown element into the mix

Great review, it would be hard to give up my 780 for one of these just on power and temps alone.

I got by for a while running 3 reference 7970s on air for a few weeks until they went under water, my office was hot, not to mention the noise level, 3 of these would probably melt in the case.

Lol, suddenly heat/power is an issue? [H]ard has gone oft apprently

im confused why it doesnt beat titan at 1600p but is way faster at 4k.

when can we buy it is my next question

9938568934_e67466ca45_o.jpg

and doesn't overclock for shit

techreport only squeezed 90mhz out of the core, but memory did overclock well

Yeah that has me concerned. I'm still ordering one and putting it underwater to see for myself.

Hopefully you guys do a max oc comparison soon, with the titan, 780, and the 290x. This card should definitely put some pressure on nvidia.

Lol, suddenly heat/power is an issue? [H]ard has gone oft apprently

It's a point to consider. It is also interesting that TITAN is achieving the same performance, but with less power, and cooler temperatures. Efficiency, IMO, is always important. AMD use to rule this, 6000 series, 5000 series, but ever since the 7000 series the tables have turned, AMD isn't the king of efficiency anymore. But, AMD is certainly the king of pricing.

Lol. I own two 780s and I'm feeling a slight burn, but I am happy AMD got this card out at that delicious price. I find it kinda weird seeing negative comments here, maybe there's a slight bitter feeling, but I look at it as competition. This card takes a dump on the Titan.

no way I would get one with the reference cooler but nonreference coolers will take care of the heat and noise though. still I am shocked it uses that much power compared to Titan.

I would be very curious whether the relative gains at 4k resolutions would also apply to Eyefinity groups (for example, 3240x1920) - I don't see why not.

but have the drivers gotten better for Crossfire? My last amd set up made me want to tear all my hair out.

Back