AMD Radeon R9 290 Video Card Review @ [H]

But i think that buying 290 now with that cooler is mistake, unless someone dont care about money or he is def. 290x custom coolers are on the way and 290 will be to and its worth waiting.

I'll admit I was a little confused when I read Anand's whining about the noise when [H] said it wasn't that loud. I wouldn't be surprised if they screwed something up in the driver and didn't notice. [H] is using an open air case, it'd be difficult to avoid noticing a video card emitting 62db worth of fan noise. I wouldn't buy one of these with the reference cooler anyway.

So two of these to enable 50fps+ 4K gaming for $100 more than a 780Ti. To AMD, thanks for bringing 4K to the poor man.
[/IMG]

AMD recommended that users go into CCC and reset CCC to factory defaults, or go into Overdrive and hit the Default button for when switching between the two modes on 290X.

It is possible, that even upgrading the driver, the fan slider just got stuck, or didn't set itself properly.

The way to ensure the fan is at the default setting is really easy, just go to the upper right corner of CCC and click factory reset, then it all resets to default settings.

I ALWAYS hit factory reset on CCC before testing, to make sure. Before I started my testing, I confirmed what the fan settings were.

But if fan got "stuck" temps would be lower or maybe not. They are same in all reviews.

Bringing 4k to the poor man? That sounds funny when I look at 4k monitor prices..

Seiki rep said they'll have their 39" 4K/60Hz on the market Q2 '14. The holdup is HDMI 2.0. I doubt it'll be over $800.

Not to go off topic too much from Brents excellent review, but could we possibly see 780s cut down to around $450 and 770s at $299 by week's end?

EDIT: typo. Sorry for calling Brent Brenda lol

Last edited:
Great review. Only thing I wish was included was a comparison with the 290X. $400 is really a bargain.

The two sites I always go for hardware reviews is [H] and Tomshardware. One thing Tom made a point of in their 290 review (and I found this some what disconcerting...) is there seems to be a huge inconsistency with their handpicked 290X sample for their review and one they bought later on. I'm hoping all these reviewed 290s and 290Xs aren't golden samples and retail versions aren't too far off from what we are seeing.. Again that was just one experience I've read so far, they could of just bought a bad card. Still makes me wanna wait a bit and see how it all plays out before diving in.

Not to go off topic too much from Brenda excellent review, but could we possibly see 780s cut down to around $450 and 770s at $299 by week's end?

Even though they should, I doubt nvidia will drop prices.... again.

Not to go off topic too much from Brenda excellent review, but could we possibly see 780s cut down to around $450 and 770s at $299 by week's end?

Not to cut into Brenda's action but, no. Nvidia has a costly game bundle and a much more expensive cooler, they won't be attempting to compete with AMD on price.

I've been itching to get a 290X but decided to wait it out for the 290, and glad I waited. Faster than a GTX 770 that is $70 less than the 290 and on par with a GTX 780 that is $100 more, yeah, that definitely is a deal there.

$399 is easier to swallow a lot more than $549.

Seiki rep said they'll have their 39" 4K/60Hz on the market Q2 '14. The holdup is HDMI 2.0. I doubt it'll be over $800.

Now... I just need a new display. I've been looking at the Seiki one and those Korean LCDs. I hope the issues with the 39-inch 4K display sorts themselves out. (A lot of it were mentioned in the thread in the Displays forums-- input lag and something else.)

For me the 2013 has been quite a dull year, at least as far as PC hardware go. But who knew AMD had this two headed hell-hound in reserve for a gory finish? Or is it truly the mythical Cerberus waiting to rear its hot n ugly third head when the 780ti arrives at the 'land of red'?

As for the review, I think I'd rather echo the sentiment of the author - EPIC!!

Also, are those for real "Brenda"?? I'm talking about the power numbers, Come on...;) It's almost 80W over the GTX 780 at system level while loaded :eek:

Last edited:
With the performance to dollar ratio of the R9 290, there should be no reason that AMD doesn't claim more of the video card market. I am totally amazed at how powerful this card is at 400 dollars.
Does the R9 290 crossfire as good as is big brother the R9 290x? If so then truly it is the epic card for enthusiasts. It is starting to look like AMD did the right thing and take their time perfecting this card before releasing it.

AMD recommended that users go into CCC and reset CCC to factory defaults, or go into Overdrive and hit the Default button for when switching between the two modes on 290X.

It is possible, that even upgrading the driver, the fan slider just got stuck, or didn't set itself properly.

The way to ensure the fan is at the default setting is really easy, just go to the upper right corner of CCC and click factory reset, then it all resets to default settings.

I ALWAYS hit factory reset on CCC before testing, to make sure. Before I started my testing, I confirmed what the fan settings were.

Would that explain the difference then between reviews and the noise levels?

With the performance to dollar ratio of the R9 290, there should be no reason that AMD doesn't claim more of the video card market. I am totally amazed at how powerful this card is at 400 dollars.
Does the R9 290 crossfire as good as is big brother the R9 290x? If so then truly it is the epic card for enthusiasts. It is starting to look like AMD did the right thing and take their time perfecting this card before releasing it.

I predicted the 290 would sit in between the 770/780 and be the card a gamer would want, fast and valued due to the performance there would be awesome.
That is the proper spot for the 290.
People wanna buy a 280x/770 then can buy this and those who are going for a 780/Titan/290x and dont play at higher resolutions than 2560 can settle with one or two of these.

Price/performance value trough the roof.

What in the same of Sweet Jesus is Nvidia going to do to counter the R9 290 + Mantle?????

What in the same of Sweet Jesus is Nvidia going to do to counter the R9 290 + Mantle?????

The 770 4gb @ $389 LOL......sad isnt it?

AMD won in the price/performance bracket. No one can say otherwise.

I have a problem with this card..... Where can I get one?? Is it on sale yet? If not, when?

. One thing Tom made a point of in their 290 review (and I found this some what disconcerting...) is there seems to be a huge inconsistency with their handpicked 290X sample for their review and one they bought later on.

Very strange. Hopefully it's nothing underhanded; simply an error.

Fantastic performance for this card, just the stock cooler is not so good.

SHIT

Looks like the 770 4GB which is currently on it's way to me is headed right back to Newegg.

How long until the non-ref coolers release?

The problem I have with the 290 is the same with the 290x. Its too noisy. Price/Performace I have 0 argument with.

I always read several reviews, and the one constant complaint is the noise. One of the sites gave the 290 a thumbs down simply because it was too noisy.
Anandtech measured the noise level at 57.2Db, thats MUCH too loud.

Noise is a subjective affair (which is why I read multiple reviews). HardOCP reviewers don't seem to be that bother by it (fair enough), but personally a loud video-card drives me absolutely crazy. The truth is if I have to buy a $400 video card and then buy a $200 water-block, I might as well just buy a 780TI for $100 more.

For right now, its not a no-sale, but a wait-and-see. There are a couple of things, first will be how the non-reference cards are and secondly will be what Nvidia response is.

The problem I have with the 290 is the same with the 290x. Its too noisy.

I always read several reviews, and the one constant complaint is the noise. One of the sites gave the 290 a thumbs down simply because it was too noisy.

Noise is a subjective affair (which is why I read multiple reviews). HardOCP reviewers don't seem to be that bother by it, but personally a loud video-card drives me absolutely crazy.

The truth is if I have to buy a $400 video card and then buy a $200 water-block, I might as well just buy a 780TI for $100 more.

For right now, its not a no-sale, but a wait-and-see. There are a couple of things, first will be how the non-reference cards are and secondly will be what Nvidia response is.

Nivida will have to sell the 780 @ $399 and the 780Ti at $549-599 to sway opinions.
I don't see it happening, Therefore I will get two 290s myself once Asus releases the DCU coolers.
Aaaand im selling my price error 780... god damnit AMD!
After this review, I no longer think it was a pricing mistake. They should sell them for that price.

The problem I have with the 290 is the same with the 290x. Its too noisy.

Noise is a subjective affair (which is why I read multiple reviews). HardOCP reviewers don't seem to be that bother by it, but personally a loud video-card drives me absolutely crazy.

The truth is if I have to buy a $400 video card and then buy a $200 water-block, I might as well just buy a 780TI for $100 more.

Agreed. I have open headphones (Sennheiser) and am not willing to deal with the dBa's the 290 is putting out. I don't think people understand how the decibel system works. The ~10dBa louder than the 780 is a major difference.

For every 10 dBa you increase the sound level DOUBLES

However I will be buying a non-ref 290 when they release. Hopefully the DC2T version.

59508.png

Perceptions of Increases in Decibel Level
Imperceptible Change 1dB
Barely Perceptible Change 3dB
Clearly Noticeable Change 5dB
About Twice as Loud 10dB
About Four Times as Loud 20dB

GTX 780 will be $399 in a month :). Also is that seriously all they did to increase performance, raise the fan profile? These things must want good cooling bad.

It's been far too long since we've seen this kind of action on the pricing front. Now we need AMD to figure out how to make a CPU that parallels the performance of the i5 and i7 and we'd see some activity like we did back in those early Athlon, Celeron days.

Nivida will have to sell the 780 @ $399 and the 780Ti at $549-599 to sway opinions.
I don't see it happening, Therefore I will get two 290s myself once Asus releases the DCU coolers.

After this review, I no longer think it was a pricing mistake. They should sell them for that price.

Another Nvidia Price drop wouldn't surprise me. The noise issue is a no-sale for some but not others, and if the non-ref cards are reasonable in terms of noise/heat then I think Nvidia wont have the choice.

I too might jump on the 290 bandwagon, but only on the non-ref cards.

Another Nvidia Price drop wouldn't surprise me. The noise issue is a no-sale for some but not others, and if the non-ref cards are reasonable in terms of noise/heat then I think Nvidia wont have the choice.

I too might jump on the 290 bandwagon, but only on the non-ref cards.

Are we looking at late this month or later on in December for the non-ref 290 cards?

The reference 290X cooler is not that bad - if you game on headphones. I have my fans go as high as 70%. The cooler does the job, works well, it's just too loud. Could they have engineered better? Sure. But I would rather work with aftermarket solution (or just "deal with it") than pay the extra $$$.

It gets the air out of the case and does it effectively enough for me. Picked up a couple 290s, as well. All hail AMD.

So this is the other shoe dropping. Competition is fantastic! Just two weeks ago, to get this type of performance you had to shell out $650.

The reference 290X cooler is not that bad - if you game on headphones. I have my fans go as high as 70%. The cooler does the job, works well, it's just too loud. Could they have engineered better? Sure. But I would rather work with aftermarket solution (or just "deal with it") than pay the extra $$$.

It gets the air out of the case and does it effectively enough for me. Picked up a couple 290s, as well. All hail AMD.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Ref coolers are the better option.

Do you really want the non-ref versions dumping 95C heat into your case?

Seems like a trade-off between {Exhaust heat at cost of noise} or {less noise but heat in-case}

I have a problem with this card..... Where can I get one?? Is it on sale yet? If not, when?

Whole bunch were available on the egg at 0400 this morning.
Just looked and ASUS, MSI and Sapphire are still available
Go go go.

Looks like a stout card, this 290.

The prices sure can't be beat.......damn......and they have product to sell........holy shit......trifecta.

The differences in fan sound levels don't add up. [H] are not bothered by them, and Techreport confirms this. I have a reference 5870 blower card which worked on DC projects for years overclocked and it's fine which is at the same sound levels as the 290 it looks like.

Anand is in left field on this one from what I can see.

Awesome value. This just made Nvidia's flaghip lineup a poor choice.

Many sites like Anandtech and Techreport are bashing the card because it's so loud and hot.

The fact that even AMD fans keep saying "wait for an aftermarket cooler" says a lot.

Cheap card = AMD
Good card = NVIDIA.

It's like the CPU market really.

Back