AMD Radeon R9 290 Video Card Review @ [H]

I love these backhanded compliments from so-called "objective" individuals. Give it a rest; this is a great card at a great price that's good for the consumer, and many folks are making a mountain out of a molehill. The only folks this card isn't good for is Nvidia.

You noticed that as well did ya. :p Once the AIB makers put better coolers on them the only thing left is people pretending to care about the electric bill they never look at and just pay anyway. If your that worried about your bill then don't buy any high end equipment to begin with. ;)

I love these backhanded compliments from so-called "objective" individuals. Give it a rest; this is a great card at a great price that's good for the consumer, and many folks are making a mountain out of a molehill. The only folks this card isn't good for is Nvidia.
lol and you are objective? people like you dont want to hear both sides of the story. you only want to look at the positives of the card and thats it. anybody that does not like the card is a "fanboy" to someone like you. I am objective because I dont give a rats ass if the card is from Nvidia or AMD. I look at the complete package and to me the 290x is not something I would buy with that reference cooler. once that changes my only personal dislike at all will be the power consumption.

I am super impressed by the regular 290 and I own a EVGA GTX 780SC. I would buy one if it wasn't for the leaf blower fan setup and having to take a $200.00 plus loss. I don't think a lot of people appreciate how loud that fan is until they hear it. Here is a link to the 290X fan running at different speeds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhqOKKAq7o

I am super impressed by the regular 290 and I own a EVGA GTX 780SC. I would buy one if it wasn't for the leaf blower fan setup and having to take a $200.00 plus loss. I don't think a lot of people appreciate how loud that fan is until they hear it. Here is a link to the 290X fan running at different speeds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhqOKKAq7o
you do realize your card is already faster out of the box than the 290 and has just as much if not more ocing headroom. in other words your card is better than the 290 at 2560 and below so why on earth would you even consider the 290 even if it was not loud?

you do realize your card is already faster out of the box than the 290 and has just as much if not more ocing headroom. in other words your card is better than the 290 at 2560 and below so why on earth would you even consider the 290 even if it was not loud?

I'm just commenting on how impressed I am about the card. Of course I am not going to do anything since I would take a loss on my 780. But if I didn't own a 780 then I would be all over that card if and when Asus, MSI, Gigabyte and the others release their versions with custom coolers. The performance at that price point can't be beat. Here is a funny video of the 290X in quiet and Uber mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV5vs27wnCA

Happens on new card releases. LOL. Due to the Tom's review, I'm starting to see comments (elsewhere) that AMD is tricking reviewers by sending cherry picked parts.

I saw that too. But some other websites basically bought store stocked 290X's and debunked the TH story - performance between store bought and press units at sweclockers was identical. I'm not a huge fan of the cooler on the 290/290x (I actually think it kinda sucks ;) ) but it does appear that tom's had a defective unit. I don't think it's more than that.

The personal bickering posts are going to get you banned. You were warned.

I saw that too. But some other websites basically bought store stocked 290X's and debunked the TH story - performance between store bought and press units at sweclockers was identical. I'm not a huge fan of the cooler on the 290/290x (I actually think it kinda sucks ;) ) but it does appear that tom's had a defective unit. I don't think it's more than that.

Could just as easily be crappy testing setup too- or they were bought off- or some other stupidity. It's THG, after all.

I think its because he didn't re-test with the new drivers for the 290X. The only card tested with the new fan profile was the 290, so for him, his 290X was slower.

Kyle, Brent

Did you remove the cooler? Why I am asking is because I was wondering about the tim on the gpu.

To much, to little, sloppy mess?

And if you did remove the cooler and reapply tim, did it affect the temps?

The 290X's are already dying.

What makes you think these will be any better? 95c temps on test load for crying out loud. That's not even oc'd. Sweet BABY JEBUS.

Oh lawd, the things that AMD try to do just to gain some extra brownie points.

What makes you think these will be any better? 95c temps on test load for crying out loud. That's not even oc'd. Sweet BABY JEBUS.

What kind of stupidity is this?
:eek:

One guy has a bad card, so the entire lineup is dying? :rolleyes:

artifacts only in 1 game=dying card , batman arkham city. any other r9 290/x owner can check if you get it?

Kyle, Brent

Did you remove the cooler? Why I am asking is because I was wondering about the tim on the gpu.

To much, to little, sloppy mess?

And if you did remove the cooler and reapply tim, did it affect the temps?

No we did not as we needed to test the cards in stock form and have not had time to start "playing." Keep in mind that our realworld gaming testing probably takes about 10X (maybe more) in time resources than "normal" reviews. Sadly that keeps us from getting too far off the beaten path with such short timelines and multiple launches at hand.

I think $400 for the card plus the ability to tinker with aftermarket coolers is very intriguing.

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=2484&page=1

http://www.arctic.ac/us_en/products/cooling/vga/accelero-xtreme-iii.html

They are approximately $75 sooooooooo combined with the card you're still under $500 for what looks like superior performance and cooling.

Oh, wait - with the prolimatech you need to add fans as well but it appears to support 2x120 or 2x140mm but hey, this is [H] so suck it up. Actually, high static pressure fans would be ideal here and my mind boggles with the options........

But then you have to get all of that heat out of the case- and what if you need more than one card?

How's your mind boggling now?

In all seriousness, we need a blower better than what Nvidia put on the Titan to make the 290s effective for multi-GPU on air. The one that AMD gave us... well, it's just barely sufficient for benchmark runs.

yeah if you could go ahead and get me those tps reports to me as soon as possible... that'd be great!

i agree, i normally go for AIB coolers, but this thing is too hot to dump in the case.

a high performance blower would be ideal

i agree, i normally go for AIB coolers, but this thing is too hot to dump in the case.

a high performance blower would be ideal

Maybe we'll see an uptick in integrated water-coolers, what with enclosures offering fan mounts close to the expansion slot area. I'd like to believe that it's feasible, and it would certainly get the heat out of the case!

It's good to see a shift in pricing for these gpu's. Hopefully it continues for the next generation when I decide to upgrade my puny gtx 680 :D .

But then you have to get all of that heat out of the case- and what if you need more than one card?

In all seriousness, we need a blower better than what Nvidia put on the Titan to make the 290s effective for multi-GPU on air. The one that AMD gave us... well, it's just barely sufficient for benchmark runs.

is there some super toxic deadly hot air that I don't know about?

is there some super toxic deadly hot air that I don't know about?

No shit, considering the 290x blew Nvidias offerings out of the water then spit on their graves, it really boggles my mind that people are still trying to come up with any kind of argument against these cards possible. I guess seeing your favorite company get beat down like a little bitch does that though.

No shit, considering the 290x blew Nvidias offerings out of the water then spit on their graves, it really boggles my mind that people are still trying to come up with any kind of argument against these cards possible. I guess seeing your favorite company get beat down like a little bitch does that though.
typical comment from you.anytime anybody has something negative to say then somehow it must be because they are an Nvidia fanboy. Someone like you cannot wrap your head around the fact that there may be something negative about a card no matter what company is from. It is beyond clear that these cards run hot use a lot of power and are very noisy especially in crossfire.so no people are not just trying to make up reasons. Its all obvious and right there in front of you in every review. Even Anandtech flat out said they cannot even recommend the 290 because it's too noisy. at the fan speeds that hard used to keep the 290 X crossfire from throttling they said the noise was headache inducing.and of course there are plenty of other comments that have been posted from other reviews.Why can't people like you accept the fact not everybody will put up with the negatives of this card and it has nothing to do with weather there a fan of one company or not.

Last edited:
typical comment from you.anytime anybody has something negative to say then somehow it must be because they are an Nvidia fanboy. Someone like you cannot wrap your head around the fact that there may be something negative about a card no matter what company is from. It is beyond clear that these cards run hot use a lot of power and are very noisy especially in crossfire.so no people are not just trying to make up reasons. Its all obvious and right there in front of you in every review. Even Anandtech flat out said they cannot even recommend the 290 because it's too noisy. at the fan speeds that hard used to keep the 290 X crossfire from throttling they said the noise was headache inducing.and of course there are plenty of other comments that have been posted from other reviews.Why can't people like you accept the fact not everybody will put up with the negatives of this card and it has nothing to do with weather there a fan of one company or not.

Power consumption: The card is faster then a Nvidia Titan and you are complaining it uses more power? Do you not understand that performance isn't free?
Heat: Because the card uses more power, it puts out more heat, the card is also designed to run at 95c all day long and just because you don't like it doesn't change that fact.
Anandtech: So because one site says it is too noisy thats it to you huh? why even read the articles on the [H] then?
Fan speed: You can set the fucking fan speed to whatever you want, the card is designed to run as fast as it can depending on various factors, there is no "throttling," there is just "ramping" up depending on various parameters.

For fucks sake, set the fan speed to a maximum you can live with and enjoy beating every card Nvidia has, you dont have to keep the fan running at 100%, it still wins even at 50%.

Last edited:
Power consumption: The card is faster then a Nvidia Titan and you are complaining it uses more power? Do you not understand that performance isn't free?
Heat: Because the card uses more power, it puts out more heat, the card is also designed to run at 95c all day long and just because you don't like it doesn't change that fact.
Anandtech: So because one site says it is too noisy thats it to you huh? why even read the articles on the [H] then?
Fan speed: You can set the fucking fan speed to whatever you want, the card is designed to run as fast as it can depending on various factors, there is no "throttling," there is just "ramping" up depending on various parameters.

For fucks sake, set the fan speed to a maximum you can live with and enjoy beating every card Nvidia has, you dont have to keep the fan running at 100%, it still wins even at 50%.
and as usual you only see it the way you want to see it and can't comprehend the other people including reviewers have a different opinion. and you conveniently ignore where even hard said it was headache inducing loud when they try to keep it from throttling in crossfire. And they called it throttling. And yes most other sites are complaining about the sound deal with the fact thar is an issue for most. and as far as power consumption goes I hate to break it to you but a 780 will match or exceed the 290 while usins less power. For example the Evga 780 SC card beats the titan and only uses about 5 more watts than stndard 780. So no you don't have to have that much power consuption. so again get over yourself and realize that people can complain about things they don't like without being a fanboy.

sorry for the many grammatical errors but I'm on my tablet

and as usual you only see it the way you want to see it and can't comprehend the other people including reviewers have a different opinion. and you conveniently ignore where even hard said it was headache inducing loud when they try to keep it from throttling in crossfire. And they called it throttling. And yes most other sites are complaining about the sound deal with the fact thar is an issue for most. and as far as power consumption goes I hate to break it to you but a 780 will match or exceed the 290 while usins less power. For example the Evga 780 SC card beats the titan and only uses about 5 more watts than stndard 780. So no you don't have to have that much power consuption. so again get over yourself and realize that people can complain about things they don't like without being a fanboy.

People that use a 290x, 780, Titan or sli/xfire don't have a right to bitch about power consumption to begin with. If you want green go APU...noise will be taken care of with after market coolers...haters gonna hate. :rolleyes:

a 780 will match or exceed the 290 while usins less power. For example the Evga 780 SC card beats the titan and only uses about 5 more watts than stndard 780.

That you are on a tablet does not excuse comparing a stock card from AMD to an overclocked non-reference card from NVidia.

That you are on a tablet does not excuse comparing a stock card from AMD to an overclocked non-reference card from NVidia.
how about you pay attention to the context and to what the point was? I was saying that the 780 uses way less power than the 290 and they almost match each other for the most part in performance. And I was saying that even an overclocked version of the 780 does not use a lot of power. Congratulations on not comprehending that and only trying to twist the comment into something else.

Back