AMD Radeon R9 290 Video Card Review @ [H]

So Hardocp didn't have any issues with the noise or did I just miss that in the review? I'm seeing other reviewers (namely Anandtech) hating on the noise this thing produces. Is it really that loud?

So Hardocp didn't have any issues with the noise or did I just miss that in the review? I'm seeing other reviewers (namely Anandtech) hating on the noise this thing produces. Is it really that loud?

Not much to talk about.

Fan noise at 47% is negligible, we heard the fan, but it was nowhere near annoying or loud while gaming. Even when we increased it to manual of 100% it did not increase much beyond 50% while gaming.

Came here to see where are the "AMD is dying hurr durr" guys. Not here, I guess.

Awesome review!

Cooling with the Jet Engine stock cooler is a non-starter for me, will reconsider when QUIET alternatives come out. I already have a box with 4 previous ATI/AMD stock coolers in it ... and some NVidia coolers too of course. :confused::eek::rolleyes::cool:

This sounds exactly like an NDA meeting I was in last week. The fan was referred to multiple times as "jet engine" etc., but all performance comparisons shown were with the card in Quiet Mode. Funny stuff when you are reaching for straws.

Wow just wow. $400 for the 290 that matches or slightly beats the 780. AMD is really on a roll, at least their GPU department is.

another impressive card from AMD...better then the 290x all things considered...I'm glad to see AMD really take it to Nvidia and not play it safe...a $450 price for the 290 would have been a nice, safe price point but AMD really wants to hammer Nvidia to the ground and this shows that they are serious about dominating for a long time

I'm dying to see some Mantle benchmarks which will form the final piece for me...right now it looks like there is a non-reference 290 card in my future

Pretty amazing. I was shooting for the r290x, but after seeing this, I am saving my money and going with the r290. Just ordered the XFX one from amazon :D.

AnandTech really went overboard in their negative review of the 290 based solely on the noise level...even PcPer complained about the noise...they are smart enough to know that non-reference cards will make a big difference

God damn it! How am I supposed to stay a NVIDIA fanboai with a price performance like this?

Hopping for a 780ti from heaven to save the day.

God damn it! How am I supposed to stay a NVIDIA fanboai with a price performance like this?

Hopping for a 780ti from heaven to save the day.

With the rumored pricing the 780 Ti @ $699 is going to make them look even worse.

Still I think the 780 is not in that bad of a spot. I wouldn't get the 770 as it stands (4GB SKU in particular is now pointless). 780 has better cooling and right now comes with games worth around $60 total so it's not exactly a rip off...

With the rumored pricing the 780 Ti @ $699 is going to make them look even worse.

Still I think the 780 is not in that bad of a spot. I wouldn't get the 770 as it stands (4GB SKU in particular is now pointless). 780 has better cooling and right now comes with games worth around $60 total so it's not exactly a rip off...

$699 is verified publicly by NVIDIA.....unless NVIDIA changes it.

Just a quick question. I ordered a pair of these to replace my 670 sli, and I wanted to know if I will have any problems connecting the three lg tv's I use as displays. With the nvidia cards I was able to use the hdmi out on the second card, but I have to connect everything on the first card with the radeons? Or have they changed that at all?

My main concern is what performance we get for that price.

The leak on videocardz was pretty weak once you cut through to the details. NV tried to claim around 30% vs. "silent mode" but videocardz had sources saying it was 20% vs. silent mode, and that was in around 13% or so compared to uber mode. Regardless, it seems weak for $700 imo. The 290x beats the 780 by that much in uber mode for a mere $50 premium.

I dunno. I'm sure the 780ti can overclock just like the 780 can, and with that into account - let's say the 780ti is 15% better than Titan at stock - Then, overclocking with an aftermarket shroud will easily add another 10%. We'll know for sure in a couple of days, but with that price I do think NV is extremely confident in the 780ti being a clear single GPU winner without any doubts. I expect that to be the result. I would estimate 15%-20% better than Titan at stock, minimum. That would put it well ahead of the 290X as well.

This doesn't really affect the 290X since it is in a different price bracket - and you can get 2 770s or 2 290s for the price of a 780ti or thereabouts.

when can we expect to see some non-reference cards hit the market?...late November too soon?

This review came just in time for me. Price/performance looks great. I went ahead and ordered a 780 GTX though since I need something that consumes less power, is quieter and fits in an SG05 mini ITX case.

Can't wait to see some eyefinity numbers on this thing. I've been waiting for a good single card solution to replace my 6970s.

RIP gtx780.
only if you look at stock performance numbers and nothing else. the 780 looks quite over overpriced but that 100 bucks gets you WAY better noise, heat and power consumption levels plus 3 really good games. oc both cards and the 780 is faster too at 2560 and below while the power consumption gap only grows larger. not to mention all the oced 780 cards are already faster than the 290x out of the box and still have more oc headroom left while again using way less power.

so if the 3 games, better temps, better performance when both oced or if already its a 780 oced model, better noise, and better power consumption mean less than saving 100 bucks then by all means the 290 is great.

only if you look at stock performance numbers and nothing else. the 780 looks quite over overpriced but that 100 bucks gets you WAY better noise, heat and power consumption levels plus 3 really good games. oc both cards and the 780 is faster too at 2560 and below while the power consumption gap only grows larger. not to mention all the oced 780 cards are already faster than the 290x out of the box and still have more oc headroom left while again using way less power.

so if the 3 games, better temps, better performance when both oced or if already its a 780 oced model, better noise, and better power consumption mean less than saving 100 bucks then by all means the 290 is great.

Had the 290 series not come out, the 780gtx will still be $649 and you guys would gladly pay it. Now the 290 just came out at $400, the 780 might drop its price even more.

Yea...I have been on team Nvidia more than team AMD...but cannondale is taking this fanboy thing to a whole other level. The 290 is a beast of a card.

Had the 290 series not come out, the 780gtx will still be $649 and you guys would gladly pay it. Now the 290 just came out at $400, the 780 might drop its price even more.
lol "you guys"? did I buy a 780 for 650 bucks? um no and hardly anyone here thought 650 bucks for the 780 was worth it.

Yea...I have been on team Nvidia more than team AMD...but cannondale is taking this fanboy thing to a whole other level. The 290 is a beast of a card.
lol another ignorant assumption. I recommend AMD cards all the time. I am simply saying why 100 bucks more for the 780 might be worth it for some.

These new AMD cards look amazing but I really wanted to see better multi screen idle power consumption. Since most review sites don't even list these I assume I am in the huge minority.

These new AMD cards look amazing but I really wanted to see better multi screen idle power consumption. Since most review sites don't even list these I assume I am in the huge minority.

that are reviews out there. Amd cards will use more power at idle than their nivida counter parts, with the screens on. With the screens off the Amd cards will consume less power.

[H] tests idle wattage with the monitors on. The difference though is only a few watts less than 10.

lol "you guys"? did I buy a 780 for 650 bucks? um no and hardly anyone here thought 650 bucks for the 780 was worth it.

He'll if I know how much you paid for yours. Even your sig says 660ti.. You can say whatever you like, only you know if it's the truth or not. If you bought your 780gtx for $500 then grats. You can thank amd for making nvidia lower their price. Now that the 290 is out, nvidia will be pressured to lower its price yet again, so will $500 be a good price then?

He'll if I know how much you paid for yours. Even your sig says 660ti.. You can say whatever you like, only you know if it's the truth or not. If you bought your 780gtx for $500 then grats. You can thank amd for making nvidia lower their price. Now that the 290 is out, nvidia will be pressured to lower its price yet again, so will $500 be a good price then?
and the 680 came out and made the 7970 go down in price but that's what happens. again all I was saying is that $100 savings may not be worth it when all that other stuff is factored in. the 290 is not a card that everyone will find acceptable when it comes to power consumption, heat and noise. and the 3 games may also help in the overall decision for some. so its not just cut and dry just because the 290x is as fast as the 780 for 100 bucks cheaper.

I love these backhanded compliments from so-called "objective" individuals. Give it a rest; this is a great card at a great price that's good for the consumer, and many folks are making a mountain out of a molehill. The only folks this card isn't good for is Nvidia.

Soooo....how is the driver situation these days for AMD? :D

Much better than it was around 7970s launch, i'd say, by a country mile. I'm on team green now, but i'd say NV drivers are more versatile when comparing the default nvidia control panel to the default AMD CCC. But you can get 3rd party stuff like AMD's radeonpro and nvidia inspector to make things that much better for either side - I don't have direct experience with radeon pro but a lot of people seem to like it.

Still, I gotta say, I really like nvidia with shadowplay, adaptive vsync (radeon pro has a version of this, from what i've heard) among other things. I've really gotten accustomed to nvidia's software, so much so that it would take a lot for me to switch; i'm on a 780 right now so I'm not really on the market for a new GPU. That said, I gotta say i'm really impressed by 290s performance even though the cooler is basically sub-par. I'd consider it if I *were* on the market because that performance is amazing for 400$ - but i'd probably wait for an aftermarket cooled card.

Just a quick question. I ordered a pair of these to replace my 670 sli, and I wanted to know if I will have any problems connecting the three lg tv's I use as displays. With the nvidia cards I was able to use the hdmi out on the second card, but I have to connect everything on the first card with the radeons? Or have they changed that at all?

You will use DVI X2 and one hdmi out of one card. If you want 4-6 screen eyefinity then you would also use the display port out also on the same card to feed those screens.

i really hope a mod comes out to put my the h50 cooler on it. When that comes out, i'm totally jumping on it.

Back