AMD Radeon R9 290 Video Card Review @ [H]

What kind of monitor, rincewind? The 290 and 290X are digital only. They do not support analog connections. Could indeed be a compatibility issue.

Both monitors are connected straight DVI-DVI - I haven't used a VGA connection since the CRT days.

Both monitors are connected straight DVI-DVI - I haven't used a VGA connection since the CRT days.

DVI Digital or Analog?

If it's DVI-A or DVI-I using analog you are not going to get a signal.

So long as your monitor supports DVI-D all you will need is a new cable.

Well I have used 2 290s in CF for half a week now. I got one thing to say, when it works it works well, when it doesnt its a pain in the ass. For my first foray into multi-gpu set ups not quite so smooth. Also the 290s throttle like crazy on stock fan settings. I have to crank it up to 70%+ fan setting it seems to run at 975mhz with out throttling.

DVI Digital or Analog?

If it's DVI-A or DVI-I using analog you are not going to get a signal.

So long as your monitor supports DVI-D all you will need is a new cable.

Both monitors support DVI-D and came supplied with DVI cables (as well as a regular D-SUB) which I would assume are digital...but how would I tell, as I've honestly never heard of DVI-A or DVI-I ?

Both monitors support DVI-D and came supplied with DVI cables (as well as a regular D-SUB) which I would assume are digital...but how would I tell, as I've honestly never heard of DVI-A or DVI-I ?

if the cables came with the monitors it's possible they are not digital. Reference the below.

overview-connectors.jpg

Well I have used 2 290s in CF for half a week now. I got one thing to say, when it works it works well, when it doesnt its a pain in the ass. For my first foray into multi-gpu set ups not quite so smooth. Also the 290s throttle like crazy on stock fan settings. I have to crank it up to 70%+ fan setting it seems to run at 975mhz with out throttling.

I'd thought about going CF if mining works out, but I'd probably be cutting it close on a TX850? The CPU is relatively cool under air (Megahalems push-pull) so I could just WC the 290s, which my setup would easily handle.
So is the problem mostly throttling, or are there quite a few games where you are having CF issues?

if the cables came with the monitors it's possible they are not digital.

Much obliged, I was just about to google that :)

Had my hopes up, but when I checked they were both Single-link DVI-D. So it looks like I got a bum card :(
It's more of a bummer because I still can't find the ref cooler for my 580, so I have basically sweated buckets downgrading to a 8800GTS (the 320mb version as well).....<eyes discarded WC loop angrily>

I'd thought about going CF if mining works out, but I'd probably be cutting it close on a TX850? The CPU is relatively cool under air (Megahalems push-pull) so I could just WC the 290s, which my setup would easily handle.
So is the problem mostly throttling, or are there quite a few games where you are having CF issues?

Throttling is my biggest issue. The only game I have played with it is BF4. I had a lot of issues earlier with beta 9.2, so I installed the 9.4 and it was better until I flashed one of my 290s to 290X and it went nuts. I had use ATi man uninstaller to uninstall the drivers and reinstall and everything is ok so far. But playing BF4 at stock fan settings I see an avg clock speed of 850mhz. I have to crank it to 80% to have it run at stock clocks without throttling and boy is it loud.

Throttling is my biggest issue. The only game I have played with it is BF4. I had a lot of issues earlier with beta 9.2, so I installed the 9.4 and it was better until I flashed one of my 290s to 290X and it went nuts. I had use ATi man uninstaller to uninstall the drivers and reinstall and everything is ok so far. But playing BF4 at stock fan settings I see an avg clock speed of 850mhz. I have to crank it to 80% to have it run at stock clocks without throttling and boy is it loud.

Ah, yeah that's not ideal but it does seem a common issue with 290s in CrossFire.
I'd been on the fence about 290 vs 780 but I figured the 780 is crappy at mining and the price difference is just about the cost of a waterblock. Hope I don't come to regret my decision! Curiously the only other products I've had DOA were two motherboards, also from ASUS (P5B and then it's replacement since that was also fubar, before they finally sent me a P5B-E which worked fine).

Back