AMD Radeon R9 285 Announced

If I remember correctly, there is an NDA on this card which is released as of September 1st.

It is now 9 a.m., or so, on August 31st, GMT -4. Going towards the International Date Line, which is GMT +12, means that it is already September 1st SOMEWHERE!!!

Where are the reviews? Surely, someone in Polynesia has a sample?

Edited: Egads! Wellington is already at tomorrow!! The Land of the Hobbits surely has a gamer or two about...

Embarrassingly, I've re-read the various release notes and now I see that the release date is September 2nd! New Zealand has another day...

I have to say it was pretty dumb of AMD picking Sep 2 for NDA because on Sep 1 most of us have the day off and money in our pocket looking for a Labor Day sale..

Sep 2 means back to work and money spent already on Labor Day sale..

I have to say it was pretty dumb of AMD picking Sep 2 for NDA because on Sep 1 most of us have the day off and money in our pocket looking for a Labor Day sale..

Sep 2 means back to work and money spent already on Labor Day sale..

Or.. Use labor day sales to clear out old inventory. People are looking for deals, not really full priced new products IMO.

Even though it is kind of a dumb card, I like the lower power usage. I might pick one up to replace my 5850.

make sure you have enough power to supply it and airflow in case to keep it cool(though they have ITX size ones as well) that would give a hell of a nice bump for you.

It was more on waiting for the new AMD cpu prices (Sep 2) but I just drove down to staples and got me a much needed computer chair with the money I was planning to spend on an AMD product.

It was more on waiting for the new AMD cpu prices (Sep 2) but I just drove down to staples and got me a much needed computer chair with the money I was planning to spend on an AMD product.
\

Nonsensical backhanded compliment? :confused:
WTF :rolleyes:

I guess that means you'll be sitting this one out. :D:D

It's an OC'ed card. Guru3D shows near 190W consumption for a reference clocked ASUS Strix model but another review found an OC'ed card marginally better than the 240W R9 280X.

its meant to compete between 7950/7970 and it very much seems to do exactly that, its not keeping up to a 7970GHE never was meant to for all them I have heard. performance should have been more, and power use is bleck but sapphire is hardly the only one who will offer them, I would reserve judgment based on many reviews from different sites, not just 1.

Okay...the GTX970 costs $329: $80 more than the r9 285, but far better performance.

I -want- to buy an AMD card, but not for the performance and cost. Sigh. I may get two 970's, one for each of two rigs. That way, I can sli them when I upgrade one later.

C'mon AMD: price cuts or better performance.

Back