AMD Radeon Navi 21 XTXH Variant Spotted, Another Flagship Graphics Card Incoming?

erek

[H]F Junkie
"AMD has recently launched its Radeon "Big Navi" 6000 series of graphics cards, making entry to the high-end market and positioning itself well against the competition. The "Big Navi" graphics cards are based on Navi 21 XL (Radeon RX 6800), Navi 21 XT (Radeon RX 6800 XT), and Navi 21 XTX (Radeon RX 6900 XT) GPU revision, each of which features a different number of Shaders/TMUs/ROPs. The highest-end Navi 21 XTX is the highest performance revision featuring 80 Compute Units with 5120 cores. However, it seems like AMD is preparing another similar silicon called Navi 21 XTXH. Currently, it is unknown what the additional "H" means. It could indicate an upgraded version with more CUs, or perhaps a bit cut down configuration. It is unclear where such a GPU would fit in the lineup or is it just an engineering sample that is never making it to the market. It could represent a potential response from AMD to NVIDIA's upcoming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti graphics card, however, that is just speculation. Other options suggest that such a GPU would be a part of mainstream notebook lineup, just like Renoir comes in the "H" variant. We have to wait and see what AMD does to find out more."

1609775103202.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/276747/...otted-another-flagship-graphics-card-incoming

*Strangely excited even though I'm not in the market for a card right now*
Window shopping is fun and inexpensive! But I don't see much in the supply line for AMD atm, going to have to wait till Feb/March for those to start creeping back in.

Plot twist, soon a rumor will emerge that the lack of 6800xt supply was actually AMD backloading and preparing for Navi 21. 🤫

Currently, it is unknown what the additional "H" means. It could indicate an upgraded version with more CUs
If I understand that image correctly (or at all):

923-block-diagram.jpg

Adding CU look like quite the big deal for simply adding a letter.

If not simply the workstation variant, a better memory controller to help the 6900xt at 4K ?

I wonder if they'd make an version with increased VRAM as well as any other upgrades? While its great that the 6800XT has a full 16GB of VRAM, I did find it a little funny that the 6900XT had the same amount knowing that NV had the 3090's massive 24GB. Don't get me wrong both seem to be fantastic cards competing well against the 3080 and 3090 - out of the box great rasterized/standard performance, with the potential for things to improve bigtime on raytracing and DLSS when optimizations and (presumably open) implementations are made available; I do hope they're working quickly on these things . Now that they see how things are developing and that NV is threatened enough to likely release a 3080 Ti (or Super or whatever) with 20GB of RAM , I imagine they'll want an answer to compete even better against the 3080Ti and 3090.

Then again, maybe its just a mobile thing or something else minor, but i'd love to see another competitive high end card from AMD.

6900XT?
80CU

Radeon RX 6900XTRX 6800XTRX 6800RX 6700XTRX 6700
Alleged AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series Specifications
GPUNavi 21 XTXNavi 21 XTNavi 21 XLNavi 22Navi 22
Compute Units 80726440TBC
Shaders5120460840962560
Game Clock2040 MHz2015 MHz1815 MHzTBCTBC
Boost Clock2330 MHz2250 MHz2105 MHzTBCTBC
Memory16GB G616GB G616GB G612GB G6TBC
Memory Bus256-bit256-bit256-bit192-bit192-bit
Memory Speed16 Gbps16 Gbps16 GbpsTBCTBC

I liked AMD better when they were uncompetitive and focused on making cheap stuff. Now that they don't suck I can't afford any of it. Hoping Intel can save the day here, despite Mr. K.

I liked AMD better when they were uncompetitive and focused on making cheap stuff. Now that they don't suck I can't afford any of it. Hoping Intel can save the day here, despite Mr. K.
Word is we will never see stand alone cards from Team Blue and since they would never have AIB partners, it makes things more pathetic for Raja Koduri.
If they do anything at CES other than talk about a new i9 Iwould be shocked.
If Koduri 'did' plan release a competitive 'STAND ALONE' GPU, now would be a good time.

4sk5i2 (1).jpg

There is a Navi 31 in the works with same specs as Navi 21 and there may be a HBM2 version (maybe both are the same), as for Navi 10 which was used by Apple.

Word is we will never see stand alone cards from Team Blue and since they would never have AIB partners, it makes things more pathetic for Raja Koduri.
If they do anything at CES other than talk about a new i9 Iwould be shocked.
If Koduri 'did' plan release a competitive 'STAND ALONE' GPU, now would be a good time.
El cheapo GPU by Intel, will compete with Geforce GT 710.

who's Mr. K?

Seems like the rumor mill is pushing HBM but that would require a new die, wouldn't it? I can't help but wonder how artificial the max clocks are on the 6900, and if a truly unlocked version won't be offered to AIBs for watercooling.

Also mobile rumors? I can't imagine AMD working on something to jump into mobile that isn't based on Navi 22, at least for launch. It's not like 4K laptops are flying off shelves; 2K is the de-facto standard for most laptops even gaming laptops, and a 40 CU AMD GPU will crush that this generation.

Seems like the rumor mill is pushing HBM but that would require a new die, wouldn't it? I can't help but wonder how artificial the max clocks are on the 6900, and if a truly unlocked version won't be offered to AIBs for watercooling.

Also mobile rumors? I can't imagine AMD working on something to jump into mobile that isn't based on Navi 22, at least for launch. It's not like 4K laptops are flying off shelves; 2K is the de-facto standard for most laptops even gaming laptops, and a 40 CU AMD GPU will crush that this generation.
They already have it. it's called RX 5600 xt mobile.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Radeo...X-2060-AMD-is-So-Freaking-Close.477270.0.html

I also seriously doubt you will be able to clock things more than 200 mhz faster (reference vs reference, the RDNA2 parts are about 10 % more efficient)

It's either you go wider/slower, or you won't really gain much.

They already have it. it's called RX 5600 xt mobile.
Right, that's why I don't think it will be a mobile part.

And if clocks and watts can't go much higher than 6900, then that just leaves HBM, which isn't likely I think at all, or some hybrid HPC/desktop part a la 3090? That doesn't seem worth pursuing, but hey, I"m open to being wrong.

I wonder if they'd make an version with increased VRAM as well as any other upgrades? While its great that the 6800XT has a full 16GB of VRAM, I did find it a little funny that the 6900XT had the same amount knowing that NV had the 3090's massive 24GB. Don't get me wrong both seem to be fantastic cards competing well against the 3080 and 3090 - out of the box great rasterized/standard performance, with the potential for things to improve bigtime on raytracing and DLSS when optimizations and (presumably open) implementations are made available; I do hope they're working quickly on these things . Now that they see how things are developing and that NV is threatened enough to likely release a 3080 Ti (or Super or whatever) with 20GB of RAM , I imagine they'll want an answer to compete even better against the 3080Ti and 3090.

Then again, maybe its just a mobile thing or something else minor, but i'd love to see another competitive high end card from AMD.
There are very few things you would want to run on a 6900XT that would use that memory. It has neither the software support nor hardware support for many of the AI, Animation, or Cad softwares that would take advantage or it. The 3090 however does, and in some cases it’s 24GB is painfully short which is where it’s NVLink support comes in very nicely. NVidia when it launched its creator drivers started uniting their product stacks between gamer and commercial work loads, AMD has still kept them very separate.

Everyone knows what XTXH means -> eXtreme Temperature eXtreme Heat -> AMD will not be out powered! :D

A liquid cool version would be, well cool.

H for either with Headers or denoting it has no Headers for server deployment.

AMD has been too silent about any server/workstation class GPU’s for too long and I have a hard time believing that they are passing up that kind of cash/market.
The consoles may all be running AMD but their developers are all running NVidia.

Navi 21 XTXH..
512bit DDR6 memory bus?
That's what I'm thinking with increased VRAM. 6900 xt (and 6800 xt) really start to fall behind Ampere at high res and IQ, as we all suspected it. A wider bus is likely more advantageous than more CUs for the 6900xt.

80 CU is as far they can go with the chip so the extra X is from something else.

Or they'll just do what they used to with the XTX models and bump up the clocks.

Its a series of cards, 6900xt and 6800xts basically but with separate raytracing co-processors on the back of the PCB.

H for "hydro" or "hybrid" maybe, with a built-in waterblock? Or an AIO waterblock solution like the R9 Fury X?

I think the H will stand for Hybrid. Some sort of Hybrid hardware approach maybe similar to Crossfire but like mentioned above it offloads raytracing to dedicated silicon.

Back