AMD Radeon HD 8000 series GPUs official for laptops, desktop series now shipping

ROFL I love how they compare it to the 650M gs. They should have had a third bar called "potato" and compared the relative performance to that too.

Well this should help me pick up a second 7870 for a bit cheaper when the "new" cards come out. I guess well have to wait until later in the year to see the real fireworks.

I was earlier comparing the Specs of the 8970 to the 7970 and I'm seeing "some better numbers" but nowhere near what I thought I would see...to be honest.

If the architectural changes result in less than 50% better performance, I think I'll be skipping this one...or moving over to an nVidia card that gives me 50% better.

So.. is this just a move so that the OEM manufacturers have something called "the latest and greatest" but actually only have HD7k gpu's?

Or are these the actual, early specs of the HD 8000 series of cards? Cause honestly.. i'm unimpressed by the numbers, though architectural changes could mean the world.

50% improvement over a 7970 would be a really tall order. I would expect more like 10-15% since the 7970 is only a year old.

YEa these are just rebadges 7000 series to OEMS (dell etc).

Sad that AMD went the route of Nvidia.

Really shows how the company is struggling.

These are mobile chips and OEMs (not retail cards). Both companies have been rebranding them for years. The 5650 in my 3 year old laptop is just a rebranded 4650.

These are mobile chips and OEMs (not retail cards). Both companies have been rebranding them for years. The 5650 in my 3 year old laptop is just a rebranded 4650.

O i know. same as the 5770 to 6770.

Or now like the 7950 to 8950.

So if this is really the case... When can we be expecting the real new set of graphics chips? I'm holding out for the next gen even if only for 10-15% performance increase.

so.. That means that the 8950 will only be like 10-15 (maybe 20) percent better than the current models at stock?

Honestly what it looks like is that they are selling the exact same cards, except with a slightly higher base clock and maybe a bit more overclocking room? If that's the case, Nvidia is going to wipe the floor with them come next gen and I don't want that to happen..

so.. That means that the 8950 will only be like 10-15 (maybe 20) percent better than the current models at stock?

Honestly what it looks like is that they are selling the exact same cards, except with a slightly higher base clock and maybe a bit more overclocking room? If that's the case, Nvidia is going to wipe the floor with them come next gen and I don't want that to happen..

This is only a rebrand for the OEM market, similar to what the 300 series was with Nvidia. You won't be seeing these on Amazon. The real refresh will be the 9000 series when it comes out by June hopefully.

This is only a rebrand for the OEM market, similar to what the 300 series was with Nvidia. You won't be seeing these on Amazon. The real refresh will be the 9000 series when it comes out by June hopefully.

So then they are going to skip the hd 8k series(being that its used for oem) and the next one we see on amazon will be an HD 9970?

I just hope they move to a different naming system after the 9000 series. A 10000 series card kinda sounds tacky.

That's what they always say, but everytime these show up in retail too.

So are these the new 8xxx GPU for desktops, or am I not reading it right.

Why they do that??

because they can and it's cheaper to rebrand than to reinvent or redesign... it's all maketing. this is a good thing cause it drives down the prices of older cards. works for me.

Still. 7870 is the best deal for ages. Dont remember so much powah fo so little

ATI (well, now AMD) has already had an 8000 and 9000 series cards. They may be quietly planning on a complete name change to avoid search engine and noob shopping confusion.

No you dolt. Let me quote Anandtech to educate you:
OEMs want to do yearly updates (regardless of where the technical product cycle really is), so when the calendar doesn’t line up with the technology this is achieved through rebadges of existing products. In turn these OEMs put pressure on component suppliers to rebadge too, so that when consumers compare the specs of this year’s “new” model to last year’s model the former look newer. The end result is that both AMD and NVIDIA need to play this game or find themselves locked out of the OEM market.

Nvidia just announced some rebrands as well, with more to come.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6579/...730m-and-geforce-710m-partial-specs-published

If you want to blame anyone, blame the OEMs.

Back