AMD Radeon HD 6970 and 6950 Video Card Review @ [H]

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by Kyle_Bennett, Dec 14, 2010.

1. thesixth

thesixth Gawd

Even after being so sure of myself that I would be picking up a green card, looking at the high res performance comparisons over and over... I might have to go with red... The price is right if those charts are right!

2. GDstew4

GDstew4 [H]ard|Gawd

Very exciting, but would I be able to realize the full potential of either of these on an E8400 Core 2 Duo machine?

And just a small typo, all the A2A comparisons are labeled 6970

3. Climber

Climber [H]ardness Supreme

Depends on the TV and personal preference. I game on my 55" plasma and love it but I also have a secondary computer hooked up to a 27" monitor that I enjoy. However with that said I prefer gaming on the 55" any day of the week over the 27".

I've gamed on an eyefinity setup at a buddies house and the experience was pretty damn cool. The bezels were annoying at first but after a few minutes they blend in and weren't super noticeable.

As for what I would choose? Well I'm still using my 55" and debating the switch to eyefinity but in all honesty I don't game no where near as much as I did in my younger days so eyefinity may just end up being more or less a whoa that is cool setup when friends come over.

4. Alaska Wolf

Alaska Wolf [H]Lite

So if I'm stuck with a 52" monitor chugging along at 1920X1080 the nVidia GTX 570 makes more sense than a 6970?

My GF just asked what games I'm interested in anyway? I told her the new 3D P0rn ones. It resulted in stomping upstairs and doors slamming.

ARE there any cool game where you fly F-22's? Is Call of Duty the best? Or is the good stuff these role playing things?

The last games I had were played on an Atari 2600...

5. WorldExclusive

WorldExclusive [H]ardForum Junkie

That's the point I tried to prove a few weeks ago. It skews results.
    The 6870>GTX580 if things were done that way which is very deceptive.

6. Krieger91

Krieger91 [H]ard|Gawd

F22s? Try Arma II: Combined operations if you machine can handle it, for something more actiony and much better/cheaper than any COD.. Battlefield Bad Company 2. You get infantry, tanks, vehicles, and helicopters online with great graphics and fully destructible buildings and environments.

7. benjdm

benjdm Limp Gawd

Only you can answer that. If you're happy with the pixel real estate and the picture you get at 1920x1080, you can save quite a bit of money on not having to buy new displays nor a particularly high end video card.

It's not that a different card would give you better performance; essentially, it's that a cheaper card would give you equal performance. If you have a 60Hz display any frames per second > 60 are wasted - you won't see them.

Hoo boy...it's because of the transition from the analog NTSC standard for broadcast television to the ATSC standard for broadcast television. The top 2 ATSC standards, 1920x1080 interlaced and 1280x720 progressive, got the label 'high definition.' It has nothing to do with computer monitors.

8. fdiaz78

fdiaz78 2[H]4U

Competition = WE WIN!!

9. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Pick your own.....you deserve it.

I don't know man...

I bought a GTX580 so that I could run at 500fps at 1024x768 with no eye candy turned on, and upsacled on my 30" monitor :p

All joking aside, the [H]'s test method showing how well each card performs in the settings they are most likely to be used is the best out there.

Sometimes it can be useful to compare frame rates for decisions like "Is this GTX460 actually going to be an improvement and worth the money over my 216 core GTX260" in title X that I play. There are sites that do this kind of review, and I look at their reviews for this kind of information. Most of the time - however - , the [H]'s approach is more effective for me.

10. zEcToR45

zEcToR45 n00bie

omg! finally AMD has shown nvidia where to sit... in the back seat!! hahaa

11. benjdm

benjdm Limp Gawd

Are you trolling? Why do you have a 4870 1GB (according to your sig) if the last games you played were on an Atari 2600?

:confused:

12. Climber

You're going to be happy with either of the cards to be honest at that resolution. Its like asking if you want a GT500 or a Z01. Both are awesome and will draw double takes whereever you drive them

Check out the DCS: A-10 Warthog. While not an F22, it is a Warthog!

Fallout 3 and Mass Effect are two great RPG's you really shouldn't miss.

Assassins Creed 2 is a very beautiful and detailed game.

Batman Arkham Asylum is another you shouldn't miss.

Quite a few games that you will enjoy I think.

Also check out Minecraft! ;)

13. Alaska Wolf

Alaska Wolf [H]Lite

Bummer, I don't have the extra dough. The Sammy 52 works SWELL for web surfing and blue rays. Not so good for games though?

I wasn't planning on a video card upgrade but the PC Gods shat upon my parade.

14. Alaska Wolf

Alaska Wolf [H]Lite

Thank you! Will do!

15. WorldExclusive

WorldExclusive [H]ardForum Junkie

A direct card comparison is one thing but the sites who develop those types of charts list every card on the market.
    The big boy cards will aways be at the bottom of the chart.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  16. AceGoober

AceGoober Live! Laug[H]! Overclock!

Thanks for the great review [H]. The 6900 series is showing good performance for the price. 6970 may be my next upgrade depending upon how well the 6990 performs.

17. Alaska Wolf

Alaska Wolf [H]Lite

I never thought I'd wish I could afford a $3000 monitor for games. Of course I never thought at 60 years of age I'd have to go back to school to learn how to use my telephone either. I can text, surf, and take videos OK but I screw up answering and placing calls. I'm informed I'm a champion Butt Dialer though. WTF?

Those 2560 monitors are TOO spendy for me. What would be a GOOD 2 or three monitor substitute for my HDTV? I gather the 6950 or 6970 OR the GTX 570 can run both my HDTV AND a two or three monitor setup?

18. Climber

Hop on down to the monitor section and post your Sammy model number, or check out the avsforums as they generally have good reviews on what each tv and monitors are good for.

Nothing wrong with gaming on a TV with a few exceptions.

Lots of great monitors out there for an eyefinity setup. Dell, Asus, Acer, Samsung, LG, and even some generic models at your local stapels can be found dirt cheap. Look for some 24" 1980 x1200 or 1080 monitors in the 150-200 price range and you should be good. Also double check the monitor forums and keep an eye out on the hot deals section for monitors.

Oh ya, the 570 or any Nvidia offering requires SLi for Nvidia's surround view. ATi can run eyefinity on a single card. If you are going that route then your going to want the 6970.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  19. rUmX

rUmX Gawd

I think the conclusions are spot on. Why spend that extra $140 when you don't have to? I could do so many other better things with that saved cash, like an sexy SSD for instance. Or heck, putting that money into a bigger monitor! Just because I have a pretty nice system doesn't mean I'm filthy rich.

What does it matter? These cards are already overkill for anything less than 25x16, and they already give you more than playable framerates than you need. What's the extra 5-10 frames going to do for you when you're already getting 70fps @ 19x12 8xAA 16xAF max settings?

20. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Pick your own.....you deserve it.

See, I would have thought it would be the other way around.

Video/Movies and games would be great on a 52" HDTV.

I would have thought that general desktop use would be a bit awkward on a 52" screen with a (relatively) low resolution of 1920x1080, considering normal computer viewing distances...

21. orthetic

orthetic n00bie

All of you poor folks that think you'll just load up a 2nd ATI 68xx or 69xx series card and gush away at the Crossfire capabilities need to wake up. Stepping to a multigpu environment is NOT just as slapasshappy as popping another GPU in and watching it go.

Microstutter is a bitch. Games properly supporting multi-gpu using ATI tech is a bitch. Trying to figure out which games benefit and do not benefit from using CAPs is a bitch. ATI's drivers are, in general, a bitch. Let me be very clear here: I am only speaking in regards to using a Crossfire setup.

Thank freaking god I have the abundance of time I do. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to test out various drivers (beta/final/modified/WHQL), configurations on the drivers and the plethora of games and various config files they contain that I have. I get a bit pissed off when I see people claim Crossfire or SLI is the cure-all, be-all answer to every solution that requires more graphical horsepower. Take a look at the forums of various established sites and see the outcry of "noobs" complaining about their shit not working right in crossfire.

...and no I'm not going to let Nvidia off the hook on multi-gpu, but they sure as shit have had less problems than ATI throughout the course of the 400 and now 500 series. At least from my experience testing various hardware and software from each respective company.

Just don't go into Crossfire blind people. Its not the Merry fuckin Poppins walk in the park its made out to be.

22. Digital Viper-X-

Digital Viper-X- [H]ardForum Junkie

I just spent 30 damn minutes looking at the screen trying to justify $60 more for a 6970 over a 6950 ><

OR

2 6950s over 1 6970 ....

$600+tax = $678
    $369+tax = $416

Maybe a single 6970 will keep me happy, so I clicked it.

23. phiberoptik

phiberoptik Limp Gawd

wait for the 6990, i heard amd fixed micro stuttering on it

24. Digital Viper-X-

Digital Viper-X- [H]ardForum Junkie

I never experienced Micro-stuttering on the 5970

25. amdgamer

amdgamer [H]ardness Supreme

I've never had any problems with my CFX setup, but then again I probably don't do as much PC gaming as many of you guys do since most of my gaming is on the Xbox 360. Ever since having my gaming rig built last Febuary, I have been pretty fortunate as it has been a simple plug and play affair. When updating drivers, I use the typical formula of uninstalling, booting into safe mode to run driver sweeper, and then rebooting in order to install the new drivers.

I have no clue what this micro stutter you guys talk about is, but it could be that none of my games are stressing the system enough since my maximum resolution is limited to 1366x768 due to it being plugged into my LCD HDTV. I'm hoping to have enough money to upgrade to a 1080p TV sometime next year, although I still havn't found a new job yet after losing mine a couple months ago.

My previous gaming rig before this was an nVidia SLI setup, and I didn't really have many problems with that either.

26. Alaska Wolf

Alaska Wolf [H]Lite

I gotta tell you, I LOVE using my computer while kicking back in my lazy boy with the illuminated Logitech keyboard on my lap and my Logitech wireless mouse on the table next to my chair. Works like a charm and it's nice to be able to switch to TV, then the WWW, or Word, and then play music or my ripped Blu Ray/DVD collection. I sit approximately 7 feet from the screen and it is NOT too large or too close! In fact I wish I'd gone with a 60"...

But are I missing something? I thought the consensus was a smaller monitor running at a MUCH higher resolution produced a better gaming experience?

27. Alaska Wolf

Alaska Wolf [H]Lite

I wish I could make up MY mind as easily!!

28. rewted

rewted [H]ard|Gawd

This is only partially correct in that yes there is physically 1 GB more available memory than if you had 2 GTX 580's vs. 2 6970's, however there is approximately only 500 more USABLE memory for the frame buffer.

Because you have 2, 2 GB cards physically totalling 4 GB, does not mean you get to use all that.

2x 1536 MB 580's vs. 2x 6970 2 GB's = closer on memory than you thought... and yes the 6970 has more.

29. x3sphere

x3sphere 2[H]4U

From what I hear the effects of microstutter are less pronounced on dual cards, rather than on a single card with dual GPUs.

30. Cbshahji

Cbshahji [H]ard|Gawd

too many coments to read but forgive me if someone already asked this question.

will 6970 be faster or slower under AMD CPU compare to Intel CPU? or it wouldn't make big difference?

31. Krieger91

Krieger91 [H]ard|Gawd

I guess you guys missed my question... how does the 6950 stack up against 2 4870's in crossfirex? I have no clue to be honest, I hope it's enough of a performance boost to warrant $300

32. UtopiA

UtopiA 2[H]4U

Uhh, the 4870's might actually be faster.
    Otherwise it's a dead tie.

33. Brent_Justice

Brent_Justice [H] Video Card Managing Editor Staff Member

Interesting to note, I specifically asked if we should use the Cat 10.12 Preview driver press was given, to test 6900 series. The response was that the Cat 10.12 Preview driver did not support the 6900 series we were evaluating. So I don't know how other sites are claiming to use Cat 10.12 for the reviews. We used the driver provided by AMD for 6900 testing, which as you have pointed out, is posted on Page 2 of our review, and is based on Cat 10.11 code. We used this same driver also on the 6870 and 5870, so all cards are using the same driver.

34. defaultluser

defaultluser [H]ardForum Junkie

When the 5870 was released, the 4870 X2 showed similar performance.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_5870/30.html

The 5870 performance has gone up a bit, but it's still close. From the same website, and with a similar set of benchmarks, the difference between the 5870 and the new 6900 series is:

5870 -> 6950 = %4 faster
    5870 -> 6970 = %15 faster

You'd probably be better-off with the 6970, unless you are planning on Crossfire 6950s in the future. The 6950 would be faster, but only a little - perhaps a %15 increase best-case.

35. Brent_Justice

I knew this is exactly what people were going to say. That's why I made the first paragraph you see in the conclusion specifically address this topic.

I don't think the intention was to ever beat out the GTX 580. Certainly not at that price.

However, our testing has shown, that it can match, or beat GTX 580, depending on the game. It is entirely dependent on the game. Even when it doesn't beat GTX 580, its still within 20% of it, and for the price, that is incredible.

The gameplay experience delivered for the price is phenomenal. I've never seen so much performance at this price point before.

36. TwistedAegis

TwistedAegis [H]ardForum Junkie

:eek:

To each their own, but thats like strapping a Viper engine onto a Vespa.

37. Brent_Justice

We use default driver settings on both AMD and NVIDIA control panels. It is the only fair way to compare. We are looking for the out-of-box experience.

38. Brent_Justice

To clarify our testing procedure, we are relating the total system Watts to you, from the wall, of the whole system. We are using real gaming to see what the full load is. I use BC2 and run-through our testing procedure in that game, and leave it running for about 30 minutes as well, and find the peak Wattage usage while gaming in it. I use the same method on each card and look at the peak Wattage in the same places in the game that I know pull the most Wattages, so it is consistent, and the same on each card.

We used to use Furmark, but we cannot anymore with the power features on these cards capping the TDP.

39. Alaska Wolf

Alaska Wolf [H]Lite

Is there some kind of Geek Council that decreed I had to game if I wanted to build computers for myself?

40. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw [H]ardForum Junkie

Yes, there is. :rolleyes:

j/k :p