AMD Radeon Graphics: Freedom of Choice

the real issue here is that AMD is not pushing inovation. Thats why we are still stuck with Nvidia holding back and not releasing any new GPU.

That's the kicker, if AMD pulled its thumb out and released cards that actually changed the market, Nvidia couldn't even think about pulling this crap. In a way, AMD strapped barbecue steaks to itself and is now complaining about the wolves surrounding it.

White noise

Show me benchmarks and then we can talk.

Show me availability, then we can talk

Show me correct affordable pricing, then we can talk.

Until then, it's white noise.

I'm only loyal to performance. I don't care about branding, box art, power efficiency, none of that.

While I hate when companies pull sneaky dirty tactics you have to give them credit for pulling these types of punches.

AMD has more motivation now than ever to dig themselves out.

Let's hope they can find the engineers, the money on top of a whole lot of luck to pull this one off.

AMD has a massive massive hurdle to overcome. I have a 1080 ti FTW3 and it destroys anything. I also have my money ready for when the new 2080 comes out in August ( fingers crossed ) There is no way I can go backwards in performance. Unless AMD can somehow bring a high end video card to market how do they expect 1070 - 1080 and 2080 owners to go back in time to lesser performance?

2019 roles around, we finally have the 2080 Ti with 16gb HBM2 and ..... AMD finally releases a new card but it's only as fast as a 1080 ......

true all ab
Freesync, HBM, HBM2, Mantle, Vulcan, DX12, TressFX, OpenGPU, eyefinity, Chill, etc.

What innovations has team green come up with? Not bought.

true about all that, but what i meant was a product that would leap frog AMD GPU over nvidia, but we know that is not going to happen this year or next year. In the end its not about Brand loyalty, what what consumer will buy.

and why do we deserve to be taxed 10 fold??? you deserve to be taxed 10 fold because the coal burned to make the electricity it takes to power your new gaming rig puts off more smoke than my ciggarette habit per hour. hell you should be taxed per hour to game on your machine its only fair. and fuck maybe i don't want to live so why do you give a shit anyway how i kill myself.
And when you're laying on that hospital bed coughing half your lungs up, you're expecting either your insurance (99% paid for by other people) or the doctors/hospitals (and everyone else using them) to pay for your treatment. And you'll whisper-scream that "you're owed this" or "you paid for that" (the tiny percentage you paid into that fake fly-by-night "insurance" plan designed to skirt the rules and cost you $10/week), while refusing to acknowledge the fact that those selfsame cigarettes killed you with their carcinogens, fiberglass, and poisons they dope them with to keep you hooked like a good little junkie.

Yeah, we want you off the damn things, because you cost us all in the long run. Taxing the fuck out of them helps keep them out of kids' hands, too, because they can't afford them.

If ya wanna smoke, fine: buy a pipe. Hella better for you.

If ya don't wanna pay cigarette taxes, stop smoking. Or resign yourself to smoking and call it "suicide".

Freesync, HBM, HBM2, Mantle, Vulcan, DX12, TressFX, OpenGPU, eyefinity, Chill, etc.

What innovations has team green come up with? Not bought.

Lol I can play that game :) let's see..

CUDA (it speak itself)

VisualFX which include, Volumetric Lightning, Voxel Accelerated ambient occlusion (VXAO), Hybrid Frustum traced shadows (HFTS), FleX, VXGI, Shadows PCSS, faceworks, waveworks, Hairworks, Glogal illumination Works, Flow, Blast. '

Gameworks which btw not closed box anymore, source code in Github

OptiX. (ray Tracing for gaming)

Nsight.

VRworks.

ShadowWorks.

Gsync (freesync was a "me too" feature from AMD.

Adaptive Vsync (not those related to Freesync/Gsync).

FXAA.

TXAA.

BFDG (Big Format Displays).

CANDLE (not gaming).

Nvidia Shield ecosystem. (portable, TV, Android, Tablet)

Ansel.

DX12 (yeah nvidia was also involved with microsoft for it)

MFAA.

Optimus (yeah that "me too feature" from AMD which call chill, and recently improved with something called Nvidia WhisperMode and battery boost)

FCAT (yeah nvidia did that) frame capture analysis tool

DSR (yet another AMD Me too feature)

Display Surround

DrivePX

GRID.

ahhhh let's not forget that Nvidia it's part of Khronos Group which have MAJOR influence of CUDA for OpenCL and nvidia provided tools for it.. (weird uh? nvidia helping open standards lol)

so... weird uh?, the only notable not "me too" feature was Mantle and failed to be then merged into Vulkan, DX12 and others. rest of "features" all came always after Nvidia as a "me too".. ;)

Now if only they'd take jabs at actually producing better GPUs, since in the end it's all that matters and all they'll be measured by. Sitting around crying about Nvidia only makes Nvidia stronger as they get further ahead.

Until AMD can start topping benchmarks, these "rah rah Nvidia suxx" echo chamber threads are little more than typing practice.

Well, if I were buying today, I would still buy AMD, specifically due to Nvidia's anti-competitive attitude and the fact that AMD supports FreeSync and Nvidia does not. Even with lower performance for the dollar. I am holding out hope that AMDs new cards will at least get us to 1080ti performance levels though. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect that this year.

true all ab

true about all that, but what i meant was a product that would leap frog AMD GPU over nvidia, but we know that is not going to happen this year or next year. In the end its not about Brand loyalty, what what consumer will buy.

I don't KNOW that. You don't either. AMD has been pretty tight lipped about what to expect in the near term. We will find out when Kyle reviews the new cards in a few months or so.

Lol I can play that game :) let's see..

CUDA (it speak itself)

VisualFX which include, Volumetric Lightning, Voxel Accelerated ambient occlusion (VXAO), Hybrid Frustum traced shadows (HFTS), FleX, VXGI, Shadows PCSS, faceworks, waveworks, Hairworks, Glogal illumination Works, Flow, Blast. '

Gameworks which btw not closed box anymore, source code in Github

OptiX. (ray Tracing for gaming)

Nsight.

VRworks.

ShadowWorks.

Gsync (freesync was a "me too" feature from AMD.

Adaptive Vsync (not those related to Freesync/Gsync).

FXAA.

TXAA.

BFDG (Big Format Displays).

CANDLE (not gaming).

Nvidia Shield ecosystem. (portable, TV, Android, Tablet)

Ansel.

DX12 (yeah nvidia was also involved with microsoft for it)

MFAA.

Optimus (yeah that "me too feature" from AMD which call chill, and recently improved with something called Nvidia WhisperMode and battery boost)

FCAT (yeah nvidia did that) frame capture analysis tool

DSR (yet another AMD Me too feature)

Display Surround

DrivePX

GRID.

ahhhh let's not forget that Nvidia it's part of Khronos Group which have MAJOR influence of CUDA for OpenCL and nvidia provided tools for it.. (weird uh? nvidia helping open standards lol)

so... weird uh?, the only notable not "me too" feature was Mantle and failed to be then merged into Vulkan, DX12 and others. rest of "features" all came always after Nvidia as a "me too".. ;)

Half of the features you listed are part of Game works which debuted as an attempt to stifle AMD which eventually Nvidia got called out on it and back peddled. It also hurt performance of Nvidia GPUs but crippled AMD GPUs. Project cars... Perfect example.

What do you consider leap frog though. You mean releasing one 800 dollar card that smacks down NVs 800 dollar card. NV - AMD from the high end parts all the way down is neck and neck. People seem to read benchmarks of 1080ti vs vega64 and go Boom NV has the fastest cards. If you actually look at 1050s 1060s 1070s vs AMDs RX cards things are a lot closer then people give AMD credit for. Performance is very much equal at most price points, with AMD even coming out ahead in a handful of games from developers not in NVs pocket.

AMD may not be planning a Fastest Card on earth figure head card... but if they manage to put Vega performance into a card I can actually buy at a mid range price. (I know with AMDs mining performance that is a Massive ask) I know myself I would be super happy. I have never bought a card that sold for more then 500 bucks... and no matter what a handful of people around here say... I know damn well the truth is most people reading [H] are likewise in the market for mid range cards.

What do you consider leap frog though. You mean releasing one 800 dollar card that smacks down NVs 800 dollar card. NV - AMD from the high end parts all the way down is neck and neck. People seem to read benchmarks of 1080ti vs vega64 and go Boom NV has the fastest cards. If you actually look at 1050s 1060s 1070s vs AMDs RX cards things are a lot closer then people give AMD credit for. Performance is very much equal at most price points, with AMD even coming out ahead in a handful of games from developers not in NVs pocket.

AMD may not be planning a Fastest Card on earth figure head card... but if they manage to put Vega performance into a card I can actually buy at a mid range price. (I know with AMDs mining performance that is a Massive ask) I know myself I would be super happy. I have never bought a card that sold for more then 500 bucks... and no matter what a handful of people around here say... I know damn well the truth is most people reading [H] are likewise in the market for mid range cards.

I 100% agree with you... as that is not my quote lol

This is a pity ad. Pity ads don't respond well with consumers because the company outs itself as the weaker choice.

"Buy from us because the big guy is picking on us and we need to be protected."

AMD has become the Jeb Bush of the tech industry.

Half of the features you listed are part of Game works which debuted as an attempt to stifle AMD which eventually Nvidia got called out on it and back peddled. It also hurt performance of Nvidia GPUs but crippled AMD GPUs. Project cars... Perfect example.

most of those features existed standalone way before gameworks and then introduced into a package which one was FREE entirely and the paid license allowed for all kind of optimizations to be made by the developer if it wanted to, however lazy devs used the free SDK that was somewhat optimized for Nvidia GPUs and caused more performance hit to AMD, however there are lot of games out there that uses Gameworks features that were properly optimized by the developer which don't have any kind of problem, GTA have couple of layers of GameWorks and it's pretty much brand agnostic, same with the witcher 3, same with other games, at the end it depend entirely on how much the developer want to spend money and time optimizing, but as itself GameWorks it's entirely FREE for the developer. also nowadays you should know that since polaris (well just polaris and VEGA) AMD receive a huge less performance impact with tessellation, so gameworks features just barely mean any huge performance hit anymore..

The problem with Vega (for me) is noise. 3rd party cards have largely fixed this now, but back when I bought Vega it was noisy.

My Vega FE heats better than my furnace. 10 mins of Valley my room goes from 68 to 75.

true all ab

Those features did leap frog AMD over nvidia we wouldn't have the graphics we have today w/o them regardless of which cards perform better.

off topic, but: just like are govenment's doing w/ ciggarettes. it's str8 f*cked the government makes more off a pack of cigarettes than the person making them OR the person selling them. tell me how that's a fair tax?
Not in Missouri. Our tobacco tax is one of the lowest in the country.
And when you're laying on that hospital bed coughing half your lungs up, you're expecting either your insurance (99% paid for by other people) or the doctors/hospitals (and everyone else using them) to pay for your treatment. And you'll whisper-scream that "you're owed this" or "you paid for that" (the tiny percentage you paid into that fake fly-by-night "insurance" plan designed to skirt the rules and cost you $10/week), while refusing to acknowledge the fact that those selfsame cigarettes killed you with their carcinogens, fiberglass, and poisons they dope them with to keep you hooked like a good little junkie.

Yeah, we want you off the damn things, because you cost us all in the long run. Taxing the fuck out of them helps keep them out of kids' hands, too, because they can't afford them.

If ya don't wanna pay cigarette taxes, stop smoking. Or resign yourself to smoking and call it "suicide".
Might as well tax alcohol that way too. Better yet, fatty foods.

So, getting away from the crazies and back to the main article for a second, can I just say I give AMD props for a kick ass commercial/ad? It invokes Apple's 1984 ad in a way that pays homage to it without being a direct rip off or too on the nose - very similar theme.

I think I am going to like this new marketing guy.

From a respiratory care nurse, thank you. His post was cringe worthy.

So, getting away from the crazies and back to the main article for a second, can I just say I give AMD props for a kick ass commercial/ad? It invokes Apple's 1984 ad in a way that pays homage to it without being a direct rip off or too on the nose - very similar theme.

I think I am going to like this new marketing guy.

I didn't even think about that, but yeah, it is reminiscent of the Apple 1984 ad

Great ad. Speaking of Asus and the fact that their AMD mobos are retaining the ROG brand seems a bit disconnected , but its a different product.. I was hoping that ROG will be exclusively Nvidia. Asus was my preferred brand for mobos, but I don't see myself owning anything ASUS anymore. Who wants to be associated with the Republic of Dicks. Asrock mobos have evolved quiet a bit, so looks like this will be my go to new brand. As for GPU's Power Color is pretty cool. I'm sure given enough time ASrock will pan out to be Sapphire / Power Color quality.

keep-calm-and-lets-get-back-to-the-topic.png

At Launch At Launch.. when is the last time anything was ready on launch? A LOT of defects have been fixed and the Driver package really has come a long way. I'm not sure what the issue is here? Specifically?

Update all your shit and get back to us. I want dumps.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
hard to believe to lot of guys here specially with the lately anti Nvidia, anti Intel, pro AMD news, and the fact that it was stated somewhere else by someone that AMD "requested help from" (paid very well to) some sites to do a full investigative report before anything about GPP was public knowledge, not saying anything, just what I read elsewhere.

So you are saying AMD will use their prescious money resources which could be used to procure the best available industry thinkers possible to keep growing their profile on buying reviewers who in turn will also from a business standpoint jeopardising their earning potential by maybe losing a client......okay merve you can now collect your prize bellow.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxrv_y7EBUeuBeDCfFbUIfIsjgARvoAcREZCNURA2YzxK9Jdd8KA.jpg

What in the hell did I just watch? Holy shit that was cringeworthy!! This video has the following scene:

b4df3031fed7c10e1ac3b78b4f50a127.png

What does being "inclusive and unique" have to do with GPP? And they plaster a black woman in this disjointed ad as if NVIDIA are some kind of Nazis out to get you. AMD should save the money they spend on trash like this and put it towards producing better GPUs so they don't find themselves in these situations.

Also as an aside, it's funny AMD is talking about "freedom" in their little ad when Vega was 100% designed in Communist China.

P.S. If anyone from AMD is reading these comments (and you probably are), while you create these nonsense whiny videos (because you have nothing to answer your competitors products with) NVIDIA is paying no attention to you and making these kinds of videos that showcase their next generation technological progress:

Take a page out of NVIDIAs playbook and show us innovative products and initiatives, not this emotional blackmail bullshit.

Last edited:
Well it's not funny any more. I don't decide what to buy by reading comments from other users. I just scan bunch of reviews, reading news if hardware has some problems or it's all good. But all this drama because of changed brand names is something new.

When Real Madrid introduced pink uniforms I haven't stopped to be fan of the team.
When Bethesda asked Prey for the Gods developers to change name into Praey for the gods for trademark purpose I haven't stopped to buy Bethesda games.
When I have to chose between Strix GTX 2060 vs Arez RX 660 (if RX 680 is high-end you get the idea...) name won't be the buying factor.

That's why I buying AMD but boycotting all their "Join The Rebellion", "Freedom of Gamers Choice" or any kind of Hardware Justice Warrior bullshit.

Stop believing that someone who is taking your money is your friend.

Witcher 3 is great game. I bought it... AND PLAYED WITH TRAINER. You took my money so shut up I will do whatever I want. But I don't cheat in multiplayer games because it ruin other players experience. That's why GPP can't change buying experience.

You always bought Nvidia cards? Your next card will be Nvidia.
You always bought AMD cards? Your next card will be AMD.
Next Nvidia card is better? You replace your AMD card.
Next AMD card is better? You replace your Nvidia card.
You still happy with your card? You won't buy new.

So you have 5 options. But all these big babies with their tears "ahhhahh AMD have exclusive brands", "ahhhahh Nvidia have exclusive brands".

i find it hard to believe that nvidia is silent on this. how can they not defend themselves? they are getting ripped by most media and now their only competitor and staying silent.

the real issue here is that AMD is not pushing inovation. Thats why we are still stuck with Nvidia holding back and not releasing any new GPU.

I don't agree with you there, yes they can't compete with Nvidia's flagship cards but if AMD hadn't pushed innovation with Ryzen and Threadripper, Intel would still be dragging their heels with the same old quad core CPU's gradually increasing clock speeds.

i find it hard to believe that nvidia is silent on this. how can they not defend themselves? they are getting ripped by most media and now their only competitor and staying silent.
They have no defense?

NVIDIA did give me a statement prior to putting up its GPP blog, here it is in full:

The GPU and software play a key role in a gamer’s experience. We believe gamers should be able to transparently see the brand of GPU and software they are being sold, and that is only clear when NVIDIA brands and partner brands are consistent.

Like all companies, we offer marketing programs to our partners. Some of our marketing programs focus on aligning NVIDIA’s marketing and engineering resources with NVIDIA-associated partner brands for the ultimate benefit of gamers. That way, consumers understand exactly what they’re getting, and our engineering and marketing efforts support the brands that consumers associate with NVIDIA GPUs.

Partners are not forced to sign up to the program and can terminate their participation at any time. There is no commitment to make any monetary payments, or discounts for being part of the program. It is not exclusive and Partners in the program continue to have the ability to sell and promote competitor products.

The part I put in bold, I have documentation that states otherwise. But the rest of it is the same doublespeak about pushing its competitors out of third party branding that was shared among suppliers.

hmm, youd think the giant Nvidia logo and green bar with the model number mandated by Nvidia to be on the package would have been sufficient to identify it as an Nvidia product lol, the Giant RED AMD is pretty hard to confuse
Yeah....you would think. Guess that is not transparent enough.

hmm, youd think the giant Nvidia logo and green bar with the model number mandated by Nvidia to be on the package would have been sufficient to identify it as an Nvidia product lol, the Giant RED AMD is pretty hard to confuse
What about all the gamers who have red/green colour-blindness? How are they supposed to differentiate between the two??

they only get away with taxing it because non partakers such as yourself think it's ok. but btw you got a better chance of dying in a car accident than i do from lung cancer. so let's raise your insurance, car tax, gas tax, 10 fold. what about fast food????? look if i haven't blow my brains out by then i'll damn sure do it then. and there's one thing i WON"T be doing is sitting around crying like a bitch, you can bet your ass on that. [H] besides i don't have insurance because i can't F*CKING afford it!!!!

Nobody thinking about Nvidia Shield TV owners? I bet many a heart was broken with consumers who thought they purchased a game stream compatible GPU for their Shield only to find out it was a blasted ROG-branded Radeon card.

yeah and you're gonna want insurance to pay for your heart problems from the cholesterol build up from all the junk food and meat you consume on a daily basis

Nobody thinking about Nvidia Shield TV owners? I bet many a heart was broken with consumers who thought they purchased a game stream compatible GPU for their Shield only to find out it was a blasted ROG-branded Radeon card.

i'm detecting sarcasm?? o_O.
No, if you look at my sig you'll see what I have. And I haven't seen any reason to go AMD at this time. Certainly there was no reason to go AMD when I bought this stuff, albeit that was a couple years ago now at least.

I have nothing against AMD, but what they have been putting out lately has not impressed me. Maybe by the time I upgrade again in a year or so, they'll have something worthwhile.

threadripper not impressive? and it least it is not even remotely (if at all) susceptible to spectre/meltdown. looks to me like intel been cheating on perfromance by leaving security holes in the products.

Back