AMD Radeon Graphics: Freedom of Choice

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Apr 17, 2018.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

AMD just kicked out a video that nods its head to NVIDIA GPP in our industry. Glad that PCPer did all that work, stuck their neck out, and gets the "Breaking News" mention in it. At least now you guys know we are not on the AMD payroll.

2. jnemesh

jnemesh [H]ard|Gawd

Glad to see AMD taking this as an opportunity to take jabs at Nvidia's shady practices! I really hope that their new video cards are competitive with Nvidia...I would MUCH rather have an AMD card in my system, especially considering Nvidia's anti-competitive practices over the years (not just lately!).

Bielzebuddha, griff30 and DocNo like this.
  3. toddw

toddw [H]ard|Gawd

Good deeds never go unpunished...

Nebulous, Peter2k, IKV1476 and 2 others like this.
  4. grtitan

grtitan Telemetry is Spying on ME!

The funny thing is, I was the only one (that I'm aware off) in stating stuff like that, specially every time that a front page post was released to inform of a new geforce driver release and the lack of warnings from kyle and the others about the included telemetry driver and how to remove it.

But I'm glad that at least this site is not letting the gpp bs go unnoticed.

Back to the video, I loved the "N" as the only letter in the keyboard, nice jab. :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  5. alamox

alamox Gawd

riding on the GPP controversy good idea, works only if AMD get their act together and releases a competitive GPU that is not 2 years old, or at least bring vega to ppl at msrp 399$ and 499$

6. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

Now if only they'd take jabs at actually producing better GPUs, since in the end it's all that matters and all they'll be measured by. Sitting around crying about Nvidia only makes Nvidia stronger as they get further ahead.

Until AMD can start topping benchmarks, these "rah rah Nvidia suxx" echo chamber threads are little more than typing practice.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    ZeroBarrier, KazeoHin and arnemetis like this.
  7. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

You must be new here, or you don't pay much attention.

8. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

Instead of beating around the bush trying to be clever, why not just say what you mean?

Darth Kyrie, d3athf1sh and JackNSally like this.
  9. FrgMstr

So it is my job to work on things that you have an issue with? I think you might need to go make your own website and post your issues every day.
    To suggest that the V64 and V56 are not good GPUs is really sort of fooling yourself. Both those GPUs are good GPUs that I would not have an issue with putting in my own system. AMD does not have an answer for 1080 Ti, but that is about it. We are finishing up the full FC5 review now and the AMD GPUs outshine the NVIDIA GPUs once you dip below the 1080 Ti.

I have known Raja for a long time, and while he did not screw up Vega, he certainly did not hit target. That said, he should have never been used as a marketing tool for his GPUs. He overpromised and underdelivered, and that is really Vega's biggest issue still...perception.

10. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Yeah, following up these boosts with, you know, actual good hardware (at a decent price) is not one of AMD's strong suits.

11. griff30

griff30 I Lower the Boom!

It's not AMD's fault that Vega is an exceptional mining GPU and mining has driven retail price through the roof.
    AMD isn't making all the overhead, it's the retailers and they are making a fortune on them.

12. FrgMstr

It is my job to post what YOU have your panites in a twist about? What information is it gathering? What third party is it sending it to? What size tinfoil hat do you wear? Stop using NVIDIA products if you have such and issue with it. As I have stated for 20 years, vote with your wallet....but you don't, so that is on YOU, not me.

I can fix that easier than I can your problems with NVIDIA.

13. Chebsy

Chebsy Gawd

They were quick off the mark with that video !!! At least is says AMD won't do something like GPP with manufacturers !!

14. FrgMstr

LOL! I want to read that rumor. Link?

I have bruised a lot of egos over the years with almost every single company that makes PC hardware. I have left none off the list. Matrox was the first to withhold review parts IIRC. Then MSI cut us off for 5 years or so. Not sure who came next. Actually I think VIA was the only company I can think of to not refuse us review samples.

FWIW, Intel still will not sample us CPUs. And I am pretty sure we are on the NVIDIA list. They stopped answering all my emails as of a couple weeks ago.

15. spaceman

spaceman [H]ardForum Junkie

Kyle the cowboy. I miss Texas. Mostly the food but still. Good work as always. Regardless of who gets the credit. We know who was first with this story.

Darth Kyrie, Bielzebuddha and griff30 like this.
  16. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

I read that AMD shopped the story around. After no success they turned to a guy with big balls, someone who rubbed them the wrong way in the past for calling shit like he sees it. They ultimately made the right choice, I just hope somehow this doesn't have backlash like the phantom console had.

Bielzebuddha and rgMekanic like this.
  17. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I guess I don't give a shit about mining, so my opinion still stands. For what I use my machine for, Intel and nVidia have stepped up, AMD has not.

I also seem to recall Vega being overpriced (IMO) at launch, anyway. Of course once the miners got ahold of them, the prices just became insane.

griff30 likes this.
  18. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow [H]ardness Supreme

Sounds like they are. New leadership + staff on the regular Radeon design group, plus a new additional 'Zen' GPU team with Lisa.

19. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

A computer is a tool to get a job done. I sure wouldn't mind buying Snap-on and DeWalt, but Pittsburgh and Central Machinery is all I can afford. Guess what? I've been able to do everything I need to do with those tools.

Now, if your need for a computer tool is to have the absolute best performer in specific applications, you need Intel processors and Nvidia video cards. AMD processors and video cards will actually outperform Intel and NVIDIA in certain applications, all the while doing it at a lower MSRP. But let's keep acting like it's 1998 and the only thing that matters is what gives the highest FPS on Quake and anything else is trash.

Methos likes this.
  20. Putz

Putz I have a custom title

cute video let me just open up any of my computer parts retailer websites here in Canada and order that Vega 64 ive been trying to find at MSRP since release day... oh wait..they dont exist

Bielzebuddha likes this.
  21. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

I guess you know when you piss someone off and you are right because they cut you off from samples.... Kyle still drives ahead and still does his reviews sometimes on his own dime. He posts what he feels should be said and aims for the truth not to butter someone up.

Its good to see that AMD is taking shots when they can, you can rest assure that Nvidia will take their shots back, but They have to realize AMD is now starting to level the playing field.

Bielzebuddha and Chebsy like this.
  22. DukenukemX

DukenukemX [H]ardness Supreme

It's funny cause it's true.
    28kkfx.jpg
    28kkjb.jpg

23. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

AMD: Freedom of choice... So long as you want mid-range graphics...

kalston, MavericK and Araxie like this.
  24. cjcox

cjcox [H]ard|Gawd

Freedom of Choice... Meet the FOC'ers

ncjoe likes this.
  25. d3athf1sh

d3athf1sh Limp Gawd

off topic, but: just like are govenment's doing w/ ciggarettes. it's str8 f*cked the government makes more off a pack of cigarettes than the person making them OR the person selling them. tell me how that's a fair tax?

26. akaliel

akaliel Limp Gawd

Darth Kyrie and Bielzebuddha like this.
  27. d3athf1sh

d3athf1sh Limp Gawd

actually it sounds like you stepped up to intel/nvidia and didn't give amd a chance. i guess you must have 1080ti and what ever that new $2000 intel chip is because if not you could have went amd, and prob saved some cash along the way.

amd's been steppin (H)ard if you ask me.

28. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak [H]ard|Gawd

Here I just switched back to NV a year ago after well over a decade of ATI & AMD cards. I'm always on the wrong side of the fence. :cry: :cool:

Bielzebuddha likes this.
  29. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

No, if you look at my sig you'll see what I have. And I haven't seen any reason to go AMD at this time. Certainly there was no reason to go AMD when I bought this stuff, albeit that was a couple years ago now at least.

I have nothing against AMD, but what they have been putting out lately has not impressed me. Maybe by the time I upgrade again in a year or so, they'll have something worthwhile.

ZeroBarrier likes this.
  30. griff30

griff30 I Lower the Boom!

Anyone in this era that smokes cigarettes is deserves to be taxed 10 fold. There is just too many ways to quit vs stick to killing yourself.

And that has nothing to do with retailers jacking up price and justification of "miners".
    It's also supply and demand.
    There is no way on Earth cigarettes are in that much demand. Fucking tobacco grows on plants you can do it yourself if you had to.

I cannot grow 7nm silicon and expect to game in it.

Bielzebuddha likes this.
  31. Bielzebuddha

Bielzebuddha [H]Lite

Do the AMD drivers do the same thing?

Asking for a friend....

Wierdo and grtitan like this.
  32. d3athf1sh

d3athf1sh Limp Gawd

and why do we deserve to be taxed 10 fold??? you deserve to be taxed 10 fold because the coal burned to make the electricity it takes to power your new gaming rig puts off more smoke than my ciggarette habit per hour. hell you should be taxed per hour to game on your machine its only fair. and fuck maybe i don't want to live so why do you give a shit anyway how i kill myself.

33. d3athf1sh

d3athf1sh Limp Gawd

and that ice cream you're eating or that radiated food you pull out your microwave ain't good for you and could give you cancer and what about all the electricity and fuel burned to transport that garbage to the store you drove to to get it? fuck you should be taxed 20 no 30 fold. b****

d8lock likes this.
  34. d3athf1sh

d3athf1sh Limp Gawd

your not a customer if you don't pay for it

Chupachup and Bielzebuddha like this.
  35. grtitan

grtitan Telemetry is Spying on ME!

The ads that litter the page every time i come here are paying for it and which I white listed on my browser, so the site gets some income.

Wierdo and Bielzebuddha like this.
  36. FrgMstr

Bye Felicia.

d3athf1sh, MrWrong, Chupachup and 2 others like this.
  37. FrgMstr

keep-calm-and-lets-get-back-to-the-topic.png

And that goes for me too.

Chupachup, jnemesh and griff30 like this.
  38. Chebsy

Chebsy Gawd

Wow, this little spat has kept me entertained for an hour or so :):)

39. ChadD

ChadD [H]ardness Supreme

I like AMD coming out with the Freedom PR stuff. I just hope they follow it up and push it and not just make one video and call the war won.

Also not to continue with the off topic stuff.... Nvidia sucks yes that I guess is on topic. Kyle has covered some shady dealings when clearly no one else was willing to touch it. That NV is up to a bunch of other shady crap seems fairly well known. I think we can all just agree Nvidia sucks hard. :) (joking) As far as conspiracy theories about NV windows drivers spying or gathering telemetry. I have no doubt that if Kyle got evidence of such things we would have heard about it directly from him. Who knows now that he is known as the guy that yelled GPP perhaps he'll get some more interesting info sent his way. :)

40. castlefire

castlefire n00b

the real issue here is that AMD is not pushing inovation. Thats why we are still stuck with Nvidia holding back and not releasing any new GPU.

KazeoHin likes this.
Tags: