AMD Radeon 6600XT: 65 Watts at the Wall

legcramp

[H]F Junkie
Ended up getting a few more 6600XTs recently so threw together this cute rig... the last one I told myself.

I have five of these (1 XFX from a member here and snagged four more from the eggster.. need one more to fill-up the last slot)

I see a lot of miners saying these draw about 70-75 watts at the wall but seems like they don't load up the PSU and just use one card so not seeing the best efficiency from the PSU.

I have a HP server PSU (900w/1200w) platinum rated powering the cards and a pico-ATX PSU powering the motherboard and jumping the server PSU's through the breakout board. Each card mining ETH takes just under 65 watts at the wall measured through my kill-a-watt, the rest of the system eats about 22watts. Enjoy the pics and the cable rat's nest. :D

20210902_115437_HDR.jpg

20210902_115733_HDR.jpg

20210902_120922_HDR.jpg

6600XT.png

Last edited:
I'll need to dig through some settings people have for rvn/ergo, will report back.

legcramp this might be a silly question, but if the 6600 XT is pulling <50W, do we even need the external PCIe power? Wondering why it wouldn't be able to pull up to 75W from the PCIe slot itself.

I'm running a single 6600 XT Red Devil and 3070 FE at the moment (eventually 7x 6600 XTs total) and running a very similar OC, but this fat bitch uses a 8pin and 6pin while drawing... 46W (according to HiveOS), but I don't have a meter at the wall just yet. Seems like overkill for so little power draw.

1631895776432.png

1631895820944.png

Last edited:
legcramp this might be a silly question, but if the 6600 XT is pulling <50W, do we even need the external PCIe power? Wondering why it wouldn't be able to pull up to 75W from the PCIe slot itself.
Theoretically probably don't even need the external PCIe power for this purpose but I doubt the card would even power on without it plugged in haha.

What is wrong with that cabling?

Was it tough getting them from the eggster?
Nothing, just not as neat as a tradition desktop in an ATX case where you can hide everything. Getting the cards from newegg was relatively easy as I was there for the window that they dropped the combos.

Ended up getting a few more 6600XTs recently so threw together this cute rig... the last one I told myself.

I have five of these (1 XFX from a member here and snagged four more from the eggster.. need one more to fill-up the last slot)

I see a lot of miners saying these draw about 70-75 watts at the wall but seems like they don't load up the PSU and just use one card so not seeing the best efficiency from the PSU.

I have a HP server PSU (900w/1200w) platinum rated powering the cards and a pico-ATX PSU powering the motherboard and jumping the server PSU's through the breakout board. Each card mining ETH takes just under 65 watts at the wall measured through my kill-a-watt, the rest of the system eats about 22watts. Enjoy the pics and the cable rat's nest. :D

View attachment 391286
View attachment 391292
View attachment 391301
View attachment 391314

Any idea if those pico power supplies work well with something more than a basic CPU? I bought a few to try out but I was kinda nervous about using them on a motherboard with something like a 3700x. Also, for the CPU 8-pin cable you just use a 6 pin pcie to 8 pin CPU cable right?

Any idea if those pico power supplies work well with something more than a basic CPU? I bought a few to try out but I was kinda nervous about using them on a motherboard with something like a 3700x. Also, for the CPU 8-pin cable you just use a 6 pin pcie to 8 pin CPU cable right?
I ended up using this one since the one pictured lacked a 24-pin and also only had a 4-pin CPU connector but it worked well except sometimes the system didn't boot up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09156HP1B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That one has an 8-pin CPU connector and also a 24-pin for the motherboard and it's rated for 250w so it can probably power a full HTPC or small server if you want.

I also use these so I can power the pico psu off the server PSU itself by connecting the 6-pin from the breakout board to the 12v DC in on the pico psu :D. The only caveat is doing it this way you have to start the server PSU first before any power can get to the pico psu to start the motherboard...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Some combo's wont even post with a pico (recently tried a B450/2600x that didnt), but for anything more than a basic dual/quad core cpu, go with an ATX PSU. Ive run a pico with a heavily undervolted 3600, it wasn't worth the risk. After only a summer of mining xmr, the wires were already starting to discolor/melt. Ive also had a few pico's randomly fail just running basic celeron setups (30-35w max total system usage). I try to avoid them now whenever possible, and just run a gold rated ATX PSU for the peace of mind and reliability.

Ive heard some say the PCIE > EPS should work, but never had luck with it. I could get the mobo to power on, but never post. Once I used the EPS line from the pico instead of off PSU, it worked fine.

Oh and fun fact, pico's double as firecrackers if you wire them backwards. I re-pinned a pcie cable once (testing that PCIE > EPS setup) and accidentally mixed it into my box of spares. Of course that's the cable I grabbed, thinking "yellow must be 12v", soldered it up, and the thing made all kinds of cool sparks and smoke when I switched it on.

Thanks. I found good deals on new old stock PSUs for like $80 / each and realized I might as well just buy an ATX PSU and connect a server PSU to it if needed vs buying a Pico PSU and associated cables for $20-40. But before that I had bought a box of pico PSUs and didn't want to let them go to waste.

Back