AMD R9 Fury X benchmarks leaked, Significantly Faster than the GTX 980Ti at 4K

None of the cards with HDMI 2.0 can put out 60 fps at 4K with decent settings. If you plan to get 2 of them then stop playing your PC games on TVs without freesync or G-sync and get a monitor. TVs are mainly for movies and console games which don't do 4k at 60fps either.

I think all the benchmarks here showed >30 fps.

I kind of understand the issue here though. If bragging about it being a good 4K card, one has to recognize that right now much of the 4K display tech is in TVs with HDMI.

I think there are some good 4K panels coming out with more connections though.

At this point you'd really have to do your homework on this stuff to make sure it all matches up right. I'm waiting at least another generation to let it all sort out. But not putting HDMI 2.0 on the card is a really bizarre decision on AMD's part.

Curious why AMD chose to omit the biggest release of the year - GTA5 - from the handpicked benches.

That's the first game the real reviews are going to test now I bet.

The whole port type discussion seems pointless to me.

I am running, well see my Sig.

All 3 monitors use HDMI. My Vid card only has 1 HDMI. I am using 1xDVI to HDIM Adapter and 1xDP to HDMI Adapter.

I see no image quality, timing, tearing, artifacts or any difference at all in image quality across the three panels.

One adapter came with the vid card the other I got at (not the) Best Buy for under $20.

Yes, it would be nice if it just plugged in. Not a significant issue however.

I am hoping Real (as opposed to leaked and suspect) data is posted soon. I understand some of the AMD cards have 8gb? Might be my first AMD GPU in a long time.

All 3 monitors use HDMI. My Vid card only has 1 HDMI. I am using 1xDVI to HDIM Adapter and 1xDP to HDMI Adapter.

I see no image quality, timing, tearing, artifacts or any difference at all in image quality across the three panels.

One adapter came with the vid card the other I got at (not the) Best Buy for under $20.

I am hoping Real (as opposed to leaked and suspect) data is posted soon. I understand some of the AMD cards have 8gb? Might be my first AMD GPU in a long time.

I use 3 120hz screens that are 8 years old with dvi only but I will upgrade them as displayport simply is going forward vs dvi which are facing the vga death.
No issue with AMD that they dont support my 8 year old dvi screens.
its 15 year old tech now.

4k tv buy a panasonic then you have displayports

Look at my sig and tell me how pointless the port discussion is.... :rolleyes: I have known about the lack of DVI for awhile and had no plan on going to Fiji, but then the 980Ti rolled around and I got the itch to go big.... My options are 290Xfire or 980Ti, I'm not about to lose one of the best gaming monitors I ever owned because AMD went full retard, if the TITAN still has DVI, wtf?!

This being said, if you look at my post history, I don't usually bash AMD other than its AIB's.

True competition? No way, about time AMD.
Wasn't Project Cars the biggest gameworks offender? I want to see benches on that one.

True competition? No way, about time AMD.
Wasn't Project Cars the biggest gameworks offender? I want to see benches on that one.

There was no GameWorks in Project Cars.

How do these myths survive? It's why they should never be started in the first place.

Op Take those benches with a truckload of salt. the fury flagship pumps 60fps in 12k on dirt rally further confirming their dominance at higher resolutions over Nvida.

People are seriously advocating not having HDMI 2.0 as NOT A PROBLEM.
Must be new to 4K TVs or something lol.

The world is new to 4k60hz PC TV gaming.

Most people gaming @ 4k are using monitors.

I would actually say it's the opposite... I don't see many people with 4K monitors on here, there's much more discussion going in that Samsung TV thread.

I would actually say it's the opposite... I don't see many people with 4K monitors on here, there's much more discussion going in that Samsung TV thread.

I would have to see proof on that. Specially when you can buy a 4k60hz monitor for $400.

I highly highly doubt your claim.

Look I get it, AMD does not support 4k60hz on Tv's. But there is no way a majority of the PC gamers are running 4k TV's over monitors. I just do not see that possible at all.

Edit: So going by your idea that posts in a thread is the standard of who is using what when it comes to tv/monitor gaming. A majority of people are using 3440x1440 widescreen monitors, and 1440p144hz ROG Gsync monitors over 4k tvs?

Sounds about right to me?

Last edited:
I would have to see proof on that. Specially when you can buy a 4k60hz monitor for $400.

I highly highly doubt your claim.

Look I get it, AMD does not support 4k60hz on Tv's. But there is no way a majority of the PC gamers are running 4k TV's over monitors. I just do not see that possible at all.

Edit: So going by your idea that posts in a thread is the standard of who is using what when it comes to tv/monitor gaming. A majority of people are using 3440x1440 widescreen monitors, and 1440p144hz ROG Gsync monitors over 4k tvs?

Sounds about right to me?

I just pointed to that thread as an example, but in general, when people bring up 4K on these forums I see they are usually using a TV.

I would agree that more PC gamers are 1440p144Hz panels over 4K TVs. Dunno about 3440x1440 - probably about as niche as 4K.

4K gaming is a really small niche right now. I think majority of people buying a Fury or 980 Ti for that matter won't be using it for 4K actually. Way more 1440p users out there. I don't think that the lost sales from this will impact AMD much, but it'll hurt a little bit.

I game primarily on 3440x1440 LG 34um95 and mostly want the fury x cards for that but several games I like to play on the 4k tv with a controller. I don't primarily use the TV as an every day display but I use it every day at some point.

20140926_204250.jpg

None of the cards with HDMI 2.0 can put out 60 fps at 4K with decent settings. If you plan to get 2 of them then stop playing your PC games on TVs without freesync or G-sync and get a monitor. TVs are mainly for movies and console games which don't do 4k at 60fps either.

Not the point, the Furyx2 will be able to!! Hence AMD showing off their micro-machine concept. As if having to use an Intel CPU wasn't embarrassing enough... :p

And it's gone and crippled itself with an outdated output!! D'oh AMD, D'oh!!! So soooooooo close :D:D:D

There's more to AMD's benchmarks. I don't trust them and would wait for [H]'s review.

Tech report seems to have given a good account that in some cases the 980 Ti could be 30% faster given its tessellation capabilities.

Looks nice, too bad I can't plug it into any of the monitors I own or am interested in.

No DVI-DL... No HDMI 2.0.... EPIC FUCKING FAIL ON MY PART!

FIFY.

Why did you purchase a monitor with no DP? DVI has been legacy for 5 years now...

4K is wasted on small monitors and I only game in my living room.
If 2 cards are needed then I'll use 2 cards, not a problem, cant do that with AMD.
AMD dont figure in the equation without HDMI 2.0

Sure means nothing :p

You both need to read the Samsung 4K thread, those TVs are good enough for most PC gamers and make brilliant desktop displays too.
But you need an NVidia card.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1853884

Quoted for truth. The value of a Samsung 4k tv compared to their monitor line is astonishing. I don't understand why people want to be MORE limited on display options. Videocards have been shipping with HDMI 2.0 for over 6 months, AMD neglecting to include HDMI 2.0 is a gross oversight.

If you want to do 4k, anything smaller than 40 inches is a waste of time in Windows!

They promoted Project Cars and thought the best place on their website was under their GameWorks promotional area. The devs have said plainly that there is no GW in Project Cars.

Project cars is ace.
It came out just when my friend bought my 290x. I was so happy to get a 980 after seeing the performance of the 290x in reviews!

AMD claimed they were locked out from improving it, yet there was a previous driver that was much better but they took out the improvements.
AMD later promised a driver that would sort the performance out. So they decided not to produce the update in a timely fashion as usual.
Then they tell lies to cover their lack of effort.
There are multiple conflicting statements from AMD on the topic, unprofessional.

Why dont they put effort into things which really matter instead of trying to forcibly control everyone to not think badly?
Its not like they are a new company, they have suffered badly through past stupidity which caused changes in leadership.
Yet they still cant present themselves well.
Simple basic things that they insist on doing wrong that stand out like a sore thumb.
Smells like Microsoft and their attitude to us with Windows 8, theres no need for it.

Stop whining, just stick with your fucking nvidia card.....
Looks like I hit on a sore point.

I'm countering the AMD shitstorm, serves them right for coming out in force :p
And thankyou, I will stick with my 980.

I'm countering the AMD shitstorm, serves them right for coming out in force :p
And thankyou, I will stick my 980.

Now that is brand loyalty, they don't even have to pay Nvidia owners for them to feel compelled to fight any excitement/news pertaining to a launch of AMD cards. :D

Now that is brand loyalty, they don't even have to pay Nvidia owners for them to feel compelled to fight any excitement/news pertaining to a launch of AMD cards. :D

I have alternated between AMD/ATI and NVidia since X1800 days.
I care only what is going to give me the performance, quality and experience.
Price matters too, but when I cant get a good enough experience at a lower price point I will pay more.

I have given AMD a lot of chances to get it right, but each time I regret buying AMD, except for the X1800.
And now all of AMDs cards are out of the running because of basic stupid design decisions.
I dont even need to consider performance or driver issues.

No brand loyalty here, just plain exasperation.

People are saying that Project Cars is tainted with GameWorks this and GameWorks that. Why are they saying that if it isn't true? People shouldn't say it if it isn't true, right?

I have alternated between AMD/ATI and NVidia since X1800 days.
I care only what is going to give me the performance, quality and experience.
Price matters too, but when I cant get a good enough experience at a lower price point I will pay more.

I have given AMD a lot of chances to get it right, but each time I regret buying AMD, except for the X1800.
And now all of AMDs cards are out of the running because of basic stupid design decisions.
I dont even need to consider performance or driver issues.

No brand loyalty here, just plain exasperation.

Come on man. You can be serious... "And now all of AMDs cards are out of the running because of basic stupid design decisions."
Like that alone is the craziest thing I have heard.

On regrets of buying cards I wish I bought a 290x instead of a 780 seeing as how the 290x seems to have been improving over the years instead of declining in performance.
It really is a shame that all the drivers I was promised started to lag behind the competition of the same release time frame.
Please don't tell me I should have upgraded to a 980, it seems the 290x is catching up to it as well now in some games. Those drivers :rolleyes:

People are saying that Project Cars is tainted with GameWorks this and GameWorks that. Why are they saying that if it isn't true? People shouldn't say it if it isn't true, right?

Well as far as I understood you could not turn off game-works feathers in that game. That affected AMD cards heavily and people got mad. On the other hand HDMI 2.0, I mean really, who does that effect? Must be everyone that was planing to buy any AMD cards for the last several years including this launch, we need to trumpet this information everywhere so NO ONE buys an AMD card because they all need HDMI 2.0 :rolleyes:

Come on man. You can be serious... "And now all of AMDs cards are out of the running because of basic stupid design decisions."
Like that alone is the craziest thing I have heard.
Context.
I could not recommend a card for 4K in the living room that doesnt have HDMI 2.0 and doesnt have more than 4GB.
[H] have highlighted the 4GB issue, strange you havent read it.

On regrets of buying cards I wish I bought a 290x instead of a 780 seeing as how the 290x seems to have been improving over the years instead of declining in performance.
It really is a shame that all the drivers I was promised started to lag behind the competition of the same release time frame.
Please don't tell me I should have upgraded to a 980, it seems the 290x is catching up to it as well now in some games. Those drivers :rolleyes:
Your problems are your own, act accordingly.
When you have a genuine gripe I wont deny you.
But yes, the driver problems are what made me move so quickly back to NVidia.

Context.
I could not recommend a card for 4K in the living room that doesnt have HDMI 2.0 and doesnt have more than 4GB.
[H] have highlighted the 4GB issue, strange you havent read it.

Your problems are your own, act accordingly.
When you have a genuine gripe I wont deny you.
But yes, the driver problems are what made me move so quickly back to NVidia.

So let me guess you also think people that run 980's and 970's in sil at 4k have an issue as well. What would the solution be to buy a 980ti for an extra 2gb of ram? 4gb is not an issue it has not been a issue so far, and if you don't believe me just go ask all the 980 and 970 owners.

I think my gripe is genuine why would cards start to preform worse vs the competition when I am with the company that releases better drivers? Seems that the drivers everyone keeps toting are not all they have paned out to be. So yes driver support for Nvidia cards when they are released is wonderful, what follows not so much. That is why I will not be buying a Nvidia card for a while.

And my problems seem to be for everyone that bought Kepler, seeing as Nvidia owns 80% of the market share I would say it is a problem for a lot of people.

So let me guess you also think people that run 980's and 970's in sil at 4k have an issue as well. What would the solution be to buy a 980ti for an extra 2gb of ram? 4gb is not an issue it has not been a issue so far, and if you don't believe me just go ask all the 980 and 970 owners.
Undoubtedly they will have to reduce settings and quality because of it.
Yes, the solution at the moment is to get a 980ti or 2 of them. Thats the price of HQ 4K gaming.
AMD could have competed if they had HDMI 2.0 and more than 4GB on their upcoming power cards.

I think my gripe is genuine why would cards start to preform worse vs the competition when I am with the company that releases better drivers? Seems that the drivers everyone keeps toting are not all they have paned out to be. So yes driver support for Nvidia cards when they are released is wonderful, what follows not so much. That is why I will not be buying a Nvidia card for a while.

And my problems seem to be for everyone that bought Kepler, seeing as Nvidia owns 80% of the market share I would say it is a problem for a lot of people.

Fair enough, I did read similar.
I also heard that NVidia are addressing Kepler issues but I havent kept up with it.

Back