cageymaru

Fully [H]
GamersNexus was invited to an AMD sponsored event to witness some extreme overclocking of the upcoming AMD R9 7950X. The guys seemed to favor 1.52 volts as they pushed the silicon from 5GHz all core to 6.45GHz. Half of the video is LN2 overclocking and the second half is tips and tricks for enthusiasts to get more out the CPU.

00:00 - Watching AMD RIP Intel
01:18 - The R9 7950X Setup
02:37 - First Overclocking Run of the 7950X
03:55 - 5.5GHz Warmup Run Beats 7GHz Intel XOC Already
05:08 - World Record Attempts
07:21 - Q&A - CPU Sensor Behavior
09:28 - Ryzen Master
10:12 - Infinity Fabric Clocks, Voltage, & Memclock
12:55 - Understanding the Process
14:37 - 7600X vs. 7950X Behavior
15:56 - Conclusion

Enjoy!

Meanwhile, Me: <turns on the auto-overclocking profile settings in the bios to gain ~2% performance>
Victory-Lap-Retirement.inside.1200x778.jpg

I long for the days when us ordinary users can overclock the 300A by 50% without LN2. Now all the CPUs and GPUs are pretty much all close to max out by the better processes done by the manufacturers. Don’t get me wrong, it is probably better now since the performance is guaranteed right off the bat, but there just isn’t much OC headroom to do anything with them. Now I just turned on XMP and call it a day.

I long for the days when us ordinary users can overclock the 300A by 50% without LN2. Now all the CPUs and GPUs are pretty much all close to max out by the better processes done by the manufacturers. Don’t get me wrong, it is probably better now since the performance is guaranteed right off the bat, but there just isn’t much OC headroom to do anything with them. Now I just turned on XMP and call it a day.
Companies discovered that people will pay more for better binning.

Good times though. I miss my q6600.

I am not sure what it meant, people always paid more for a P4C sold pre-clocked at 3.0ghz than a P4 pre-clocked at 2.4ghz and companies always tried to spend has little as possible by part, I would assume there is no discovery, just that they got better.

And it is not just binning, it is hardware desactivated core going on has well, without it, OC that would include cooling not necessarily that good core but still used them (say using the 7 or 8core on a 5600x) would still be significant

Idk. I look at sites like silicon lottery who upcharged pre binned chips and can only imagine at some point Intel/AMD would look at that and say "why don't we do that instead?".

Idk. I look at sites like silicon lottery who upcharged pre binned chips and can only imagine at some point Intel/AMD would look at that and say "why don't we do that instead?".
Isn't that what they did when they charged more for the P4C 2.8ghz than the 2.4ghz, that was Intel binning no, charging more for their best silicon ?

Some model got more popular, process got better, lower frequency model that could have been sold at the top end were sold at the bottom because they could not sell all the high end they end up producing.

They got better at predicting demand, they got better at having different SKU not purely base on binning (different cache, number of core, etc..) or that can be in a hardware solid way blocked or different and process having more predictable result.

Wasn't the overlock on the 13900K Higher? I wonder what would happen if they switched out the CPUs for the Intel 13900K or KS using the same technique?

https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-...ghz-over-65-percent-faster-than-12900k-5950x/

The WR the 7950X beat was in the 16 core category. The 13900K wouldn't be in that category. As far as the all-time WR goes, neither get anywhere near the top score of 116142. That said, the 48k from AMD is, currently, the highest consumer grade CPU score published to HWBOT. Everything else is Threadripper or Epic, and one entry for the Xeon Platinum 8360H at almost 70K. There doesn't seem to be any 13900 results posted to HWBOT yet, likely due to it still being under NDA. The AMD scores are the only 7950X scores posted at the moment due to NDA.

This is what competition gets you and not the LN2 part, the fact you need LN2 to really push it like this. The race between Intel and AMD is such that neither feels comfortable leaving that much room left on the table so they have to tune these parts as hard as they can get them for the conventional user as well as the mainstream enthusiast market. They have these parts ready to go with the best of what cooling options are readily feasible to us and while I am sad I can't spend hours or days fine-tuning my PC for that extra 2%, I got shit to do and that isn't it. So I will ultimately take this for the win it is!

Back