AMD R9 290X enough for Fallout 4 ?

justbenice

Limp Gawd
Hi all,
As fallout 4 will release in 10-Nov-2015, and this is the most love game of me,i want to have best experience with it. So i wonder my rig : I7-2600k, 8Gram, R9 290X 4GB RAM , monitor 1080p 60hz will be enough to have best feeling of the game ?

Thank you !

Oh heck yeah. At 1080p? Your rig should play FO4 smooth as butter. You'll hit cap of 60 frames with that monitor all day.

Last edited:
You will have no issues. You may not be able to crank everything to 11, but in general, you'll be on ultra settings

At 1080p, without a doubt, yes.

Having examined at the trailers, screencaps etc. and read the tech interviews, I'd venture to guess there will be about a 25% performance hit vs Skyrim (FO4, for better or worse, uses the same tweaked and tired Gamebryo engine). Since you're getting in the low 100s FPS in Skyrim with your 290x at 1080p with ultra settings, you can probably expect to run at least in the 70s.

Thank you harmattan,

Do you think upgrade my cpu i7-2600k to i7-5820k will take advantage ?

With a CPU upgrade, you will only see +10FPS tops, but probably an average +5fps

The first thing youre gonna want to do is disable crossfire. Then you should be ok.

Thank you harmattan,

Do you think upgrade my cpu i7-2600k to i7-5820k will take advantage ?

Meh... As long as you're OC-ing a bit that 2600k isn't going to hold you back. At least wouldn't merit the extra couple FPS you'd get with a 5820k, especially since you'll be running in the high 60s/low 70s anyways.

The first thing youre gonna want to do is disable crossfire. Then you should be ok.

A bit of a non sequitur in this thread, no? Also, I assume you've played the game using Crossfire already if you're making a statement like that?

I'd be first to call out Crossfire issues, but Gamebryo normally plays nice with Crossfire in Skyrim and FO3 so would suppose support should be ok in FO4.

You'll be fine. There may be some graphics options at ultra settings where the 290x might chug. Just get the game and see how your rig handles it. I honestly think you'll be just fine. I have similar rig and I'm not worried about it. Only difference is I have 16GB ram. I do have mine OCd to about 4.2GHz.

A bit of a non sequitur in this thread, no? Also, I assume you've played the game using Crossfire already if you're making a statement like that?

I'd be first to call out Crossfire issues, but Gamebryo normally plays nice with Crossfire in Skyrim and FO3 so would suppose support should be ok in FO4.

Meh I'd be willing to bet Crossfire requires at least a few weeks to a month before its functional. Seems like ever game that comes out crossfire is broken. His best bet is to start playing with Crossfire disabled. Confirm Crossfire support then try it.

You will be able to get 60fps withour a doubt! As the others have said before, it wouldn't hurt to oc the cpu so you can "future-proof" it for another 2-3 years!

im planning on playing on the lenovo laptop in my sig... it should be playable on low maybe turned down to 720p

update:
on my i7 5500u and amd r9 m375 it gets 20 fps adverage on medium setting. 20 is playable...

Last edited:
IGN says a GTX 970 will run Fallout 4 on Ultra settings between 40-60 frames all day.

I'll be trying it with my old 6950 2GB at 1920x1200. See what settings I can run.

Thank you guys. I got the FO4 game here but haven't play. I am waiting all part of my new rig i7-5820k arrive. I want to have best feeling in this most love game :p

Meh I'd be willing to bet Crossfire requires at least a few weeks to a month before its functional. Seems like ever game that comes out crossfire is broken. His best bet is to start playing with Crossfire disabled. Confirm Crossfire support then try it.

Yep, Crossfire (and SLI) are not functioning out of the box. You can, however, just use a Skyrim profile and Crossfire works.

Yep, Crossfire (and SLI) are not functioning out of the box. You can, however, just use a Skyrim profile and Crossfire works.

Strange. My xfire 290s run the game max everything at 2560x1200 just fine. Haven't checked gpu load to make sure both card are being used. They game must be pretty light weight if they aren't.

Just checked. You are correct, gpu2 is not being used. Not sure what fps are but is high enough for me to not bother checking lol.

With a CPU upgrade, you will only see +10FPS tops, but probably an average +5fps

Yeah, I think realistically a 2600k or above is good for anything these days, and will be for a long time. Hell I haven't upgraded in almost 2 years and that's unheard of for me.

There's more important targets these days. Faster drives (SSD), better video cards. More RAM (16G minimum). These things provide a much better return on investment than a new processor does. IMHO.

The only real reason to upgrade these days is motherboard/cpu failures, which are extremely rare, or the desire to upgrade to new technologies that you really need.

Back