AMD R9 290X Beating The GeForce GTX 780?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Legit Reviews, HotHardware and The Tech Report have all posted benchmark results from AMD that show the AMD R9 290X besting the GeForce GTX 780 at 4k resolutions.

AMD is holding an event / demo in Montreal today, offering to let anyone who likes come in, check out 4K gaming on their upcoming graphics card, and promising that the GPU will deliver performance over and above anything Nvidia's GTX 780 can offer. 4K gaming has increasingly become popular -- or at least, discussed, as monitors begin to debut at that resolution and modifications to the Blu-ray standard are floated. AMD has run two tests, which it claims demonstrates this performance -- BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider.

while its good see results in reviewers hands . From what I remember of titan that really wasn't strong enough to play 4k , avg of 30-40 is not great at all .
But some competition from AMD on high end is good .

We kind of all knew this. They obviously didn't compare to Titan because it doesn't consistently beat Titan.

Regardless, it's priced ~780's price point. Though it's good to know that two of these might be able to achieve 2160p/60fps min.

We kind of all knew this. They obviously didn't compare to Titan because it doesn't consistently beat Titan.

Regardless, it's priced ~780's price point. Though it's good to know that two of these might be able to achieve 2160p/60fps min.

First you need a monitor capable of 2160p/60hz :)

What is this *Quiet Mode* I'm seeing?
Low clocks setting without any overclocking to keep the fan RPM low most likely.
We don't know what stock nor overclocked clocks are though, but if it's already faster in quite mode it's logical to assume non quiet mode will be even faster.

And why are they running Win7 not 8 or 8.1?

And TBH It is no amazing thing that AMD have finally caught up to the 780 (not even NV's fastest card); the real thing I want to know is the price. If it is priced the same as 780 then that is a win for no gamer, but if they undercut the 780, that'd be awesome. So as much as I am looking forward to the reviews, really I just want to know the price, the performance has been leaked at 780 +/- a bit for a long time now. What does it cost?!

I wonder what results they get when they dial back the settings a notch?

So not to sound to much fan-ism here.....

OK, were going to show a couple of benchmark runs on game WE pick, that WE know our GPU is good at, on screen resolutions only a few people routinely use.

Awesome.

But those games aren't even AMD favored. The 680 was on par or even beat the 7970 in TR and Bioshock.

Just because they're AMD sponsored doesn't mean they perform better.

See also: Witcher 2 performing slightly better on AMD hardware despite being a TWIMTBP title.

So my 3 780gtxs are all running at 1140 MHz Core are good to keep until the next refresh of cards.

Titan is only slightly faster than 780...

The margin that 290x beats over 780 mean it beats Titan as well...

Tress FX on or off? :D

Nvidia has some cards up it's sleeve too that are coming soon. We'll see what happens. I'm actually waiting patiently for all of this to go down. I will be upgrading my 2 GTX 680s soon and 2 R290X or another card at GTX 780 performance level sound enticing.

They had $160 7950s on NewEgg last night. I had such a poor experience with all the 7970s I've had... I was tempted. But I know only a microstuttering mess will ensue. Unless the GTX 290x can get crossfire up to SLI standards... it will only be worth what that single card deliver.

I know I can add another GTX 780 and have a pleasant experience. I can't say that about AMD.

But those games aren't even AMD favored. The 680 was on par or even beat the 7970 in TR and Bioshock.

Just because they're AMD sponsored doesn't mean they perform better.

See also: Witcher 2 performing slightly better on AMD hardware despite being a TWIMTBP title.

For the sake of argument......so AMD didn't run through a shit load of games to pick two that would run well on their stuff? Really?
I have a bridge I'd like to sell.........:eek::eek:

I hope AMD releases that card at $500 or less.

This. Although I don't see that happening one bit, it would be nice. Really it could beat a Titan by 10% and I wont be impressed until I see the price point because we NEED to get out of this silly $600 and pushing $700 range with double the RAM that we're currently trapped in at the high-end. Hell, lets be honest, the Titan costs a fortune for such minor performance differences against the GTX 780 that it's moot to even have that as a selling point if not for comparing the price differences given a GTX 780 holds up extremely well against it for a lot less.

Hopefully the R9-290/290X aren't going for $650 or even $599, although they can technically do that because of Nvidia's stupid pricing. We realize these chips are big and badass, but they aren't that badass for 90%+ of the people not playing games on multiple monitors or resolutions of 4K who will buy these cards.

It better be cheap. NVIDIA deserves a kick in the crotch for setting their prices so high. This market needs way more competition.

Don't care, other than the competitive aspect with Nvidia pricing. I got fucked on the Radeon 8500 and X800XT PE drivers/hardware failures, and ATI can eat a bag of dicks forever as far as I'm concerned.

I'd love to see some competition at the top of the market again, but I don't think I'll hold my breath. I'll just wait until some real testing happens outside of an AMD controlled environment.

This. Although I don't see that happening one bit, it would be nice. Really it could beat a Titan by 10% and I wont be impressed until I see the price point because we NEED to get out of this silly $600 and pushing $700 range with double the RAM that we're currently trapped in at the high-end. Hell, lets be honest, the Titan costs a fortune for such minor performance differences against the GTX 780 that it's moot to even have that as a selling point if not for comparing the price differences given a GTX 780 holds up extremely well against it for a lot less.

Hopefully the R9-290/290X aren't going for $650 or even $599, although they can technically do that because of Nvidia's stupid pricing. We realize these chips are big and badass, but they aren't that badass for 90%+ of the people not playing games on multiple monitors or resolutions of 4K who will buy these cards.

been seeing people bringing up the "need 4k/eyefinity for 290x to be worth buying"

which is simply not taking into account people who are shooting for 1080/1440 at 120hz constant for bf3/4 multiplayer

some competition is good to see, but has AMD really won this round? Nvidia has had their 780 and Titan our for a good bit now.

But Nvidia over AMD anyday. AMD just doesn't seem to keep up with the tech side of stuff and there Catalyst and drivers are pretty crappy.

I don't even think it should be a question. It BETTER beat the GTX 780 by a minimum of 10% considering how long the GTX 780 has been on the market. I don't see many people rushing to get the new AMD part if it's just slightly better. Unless they have been holding out on upgrading for a few generations now.

Lol, is what I said too. Nvidia hosed my Macbook pro that I spent 3k on, and a HP laptop that was $1300. I didnt really get shit back except for a free repair a long time after the issue because of the class action lawsuit. Nvidia is just as bad.

get a 290x

looks like 500 for the 290 and 700 for the 290x

Hmmm iv seen 290x pre-orders on websites for under $600, and 290's under $500 for pre-orders.

I have also seen $700 for 290x, and 500-550 for 290's.

Right now not 1 single person know the prices, other then the 290x will be priced to go against the 780 GTX, and AMD already told kyle it will not be over $600 or even $600 (cant remember exactly what they told Kyle).

Hmmm iv seen 290x pre-orders on websites for under $600, and 290's under $500 for pre-orders.

I have also seen $700 for 290x, and 500-550 for 290's.

Right now not 1 single person know the prices, other then the 290x will be priced to go against the 780 GTX, and AMD already told kyle it will not be over $600 or even $600 (cant remember exactly what they told Kyle).

he just said it WASNT 600
it could be more or less

Kyle came up with the number AMDs guy just said "no"

he just said it WASNT 600
it could be more or less

Kyle came up with the number AMDs guy just said "no"

Ok, so its either $550 or $650, which either way is priced well against the 780 GTX.

Considering the 290 is the one to go against the 780 GTX, and that might be $450 or 500....well it might be time for some incoming price drops from NVidia!

A guy that went to the AMD event yesterday claims an AMD rep told him people would be "very happy" about the price, which probably means it will be cheaper than the 780.

Back