AMD questions / FX-55

z0dd

n00b
I'm putting together my first AMD rig and need advice. I read as many posts in
this forum as I could, and have a decent idea of what I should buy.

CONTROLLING FACTORS:
- This is my first AMD. I've owned many Intels
- I need: CPU, RAM and a mainboard
- I already own a AGP ATI x800 XT, and a SB Audigy 2
- I have 2 PSUs: Antec 430 TruPower, and 500 Watt X-Connect ATX PSU:
www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=316256&pfp
- Total cost shouldn't exceed ~$1500
- System will be used for heavy gaming, among other activities
- I will NOT be overclocking anything
- Water cooling is not an option
- Performance is very important, but NEVER at the cost of stability
- I need the parts no later than next week
- I'd like to buy from either NewEgg or Monarch

QUESTIONS:
(1) What CPU?
Unless I'm convinced otherwise, I've pretty much decided to go with a FX-55
if they are available. Are they available NOW from either NewEgg or Monarch?
Both show they are "in stock", but you know how that goes.

(2) What Mainboard?
Every FX-55 review I've seen uses a NVIDIA nForce4 reference motherboard.
I assume these aren't easily available yet, and as I need this system ASAP,
I think I need to pick something else.

What are my choices for the FX-55? It looks like it requires socket 939.
I hate VIA and their 4in1 drivers. Other than that, I'm looking for something
with AGP 8x, SATA support, USB 2.0, ethernet, supports 4g RAM, and is STABLE!
Again, I don't care about OCing.

(3) What RAM?
I have no idea what RAM works with AMDs. I need at least 2g, but might go for
4 if I can afford it. From what I read, I won't need registered memory. I'll
need Dual channel, right? Just tell me what I should get please. :(

(4) Heatsink/Fan
Should I buy a retail cpu, using the factory heatsink/fan, or buy a OEM CPU
and 3rd party HS/F? If so, what are good HS/Fans?

(5) PSU?
Will either of the two PSUs in the list above work? They were both used in
P4 systems, and have the 12v intel(?) connector. If not, what PSU features are
needed for AMD?

(6) Case?
Will my 2yr. old ATX case accomodate a AMD? It previously held a couple of
different ATX MBs that used Intel CPUs.

(7) HD?
Can I use my 200g 133 HD, or will I need a new SATA HD?

(8) CPU thermal paste?
Any special thermal paste needed for AMDs?

(9) OS patches?
Do I need any special WinXP 64 bit patch for the CPU?

Thank you

1) For gaming, the A64 cannot be beaten. The A64 FX-55 is the FASTEST gaming processor currently available to the mass market.

2) Here's the tough one. You've got an AGP video card already, so I'm assuming you'll want to use an AGP-enabled board. I'd be inclined to recommend either the MSI K8N Neo2 or the EPoX EP-9NDA3+. Both are NForce 3-based boards and offer solid foundations for a system.

3) On both of these boards, I would recommend any Samsung TCCD-based memory with low-latencies. OCZ 3200 EL Rev. 2 (2-2-2-5) sounds reasonable and is available in dual-channel 1 GB kits. You'd be able to install 2 pairs of 1 GB kits for a total of 2 GB's in the system. OR, if you really wanted to go as a minimum 2 GB's with the option to expand to 4 GB's later on, I'd recommend Corsair's TwinX2048-3200C2 (2.5-3-3-6) 2 GB dual-channel kit.

As for the ramifications of running 4 dual-sided, high-density memory modules on the NForce 3 platform with the Athlon's onboard memory controller, I'm not sure. AFAIK, the command rate drops to 2T, resulting in a performance decrease. I'm not 100% sure on that though, so you'll definately need a 2nd opinion on that one.

4) If you aren't overclocking, the stock heatsink with the FX-55 features heatpipes and is quite the impressive unit considering its' stock. If you are overclocking, or want to have better temperatures, consider the ThermalRight XP-90 & an 80mm ThermalTake SmartFan II on full speed.

5) AFAIK, both of those PSU's will work without a problem. I'd be more inclined to recommend using the Antec 430.

6) As long as the case conforms to ATX standards, it will hold either of the 2 previously mentioned motherboards. What I would be concerned about is ample airflow through the case. As a bare minimum for a FX-55/X800 XT system, a minimum of 4 case fans (2 front intakes, 2 rear exhausts NOT counting the PSU) is recommended.

7) Both previously mentioned motherboards carry both UDMA133 & SATA ports, so your older UDMA133 hard disk will work fine.

8) Regardless of the heatsink used, I always suggest Arctic Silver or Arctic Alumina thermal paste for its' above average thermal transfer capabilities.

9) Until MS resolves the issues regarding Service Pack 2 on AMD Athlon 64 systems, feel free to install Windows XP with SP1. Other than that, no special patches are required to use the processor in 32-bit mode. A 64-bit OS is required to use the 64-bit extensions built into the processor.

Hope this helps & best of luck with your FX-55 :)

1700 just for CPU, RAM and mobo will get you the best shit out there...

A 4000+ will be almost exactly the same as an FX-55, but the FX-55 has an unlocked multiplier(for overclocking)
If youre not gonna OC, then dont bother with an FX

well welcome to this forum.
the fx-55 is 800 bucks.
and get all your stuff from newegg.com.
sim guy told u a lot of good stuff,
Service Pack 2 works great with amd 64 chips.
i have a amd 64 3200 +
and i never had any trouble with service pack 2
all my games run great like doom 3
call of duty games.
medal of honor games.
but for the mobo u should look in to asus mobos.
alienware builds there fx-55 gameing rig useing asus
i have an asus mobo and 3 of my friends they are great.
so good luck

Not to thread crap, but wasn't there an issue with SP2 on A64 systems that were causing them to crash (something regarding the No Execute bit...)? Maybe I'm just not up to date on that...

As for the choice of Asus boards, he didn't want a VIA-based board. And that's exactly what the AGP-based Asus A8V Deluxe is. VIA K8T800 Pro.

DermicSavage said:
1700 just for CPU, RAM and mobo will get you the best shit out there...

A 4000+ will be almost exactly the same as an FX-55, but the FX-55 has an unlocked multiplier(for overclocking)
If youre not gonna OC, then dont bother with an FX

Just a correction to this the 4000+ and the FX-55 are not the same. They both have 1meg of L2 cache but the FX-55 is clocked 200MHz higher.

4000+ is the same as the FX-53, except for the locked multiplier thingy on the 4000+. FX-55 is an FX-53 with faster clock rate.

SimGuy said:
2) Here's the tough one. You've got an AGP video card already, so I'm assuming you'll want to use an AGP-enabled board. I'd be inclined to recommend either the MSI K8N Neo2 or the EPoX EP-9NDA3+. Both are NForce 3-based boards and offer solid foundations for a system.

I've read good things about the MSI board. Is this the board most people are using for socket 939?

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anyone will have this board in stock until the middle of the month, at the earliest. Anyone know of a vendor that has it now?

Hmm, I just realised something. nVidia makes these boards and my video board is from ATI. Any chance nVidia gimps ATI boards when used in their MBs? :eek:

SimGuy said:
3) On both of these boards, I would recommend any Samsung TCCD-based memory with low-latencies. OCZ 3200 EL Rev. 2 (2-2-2-5) sounds reasonable and is available in dual-channel 1 GB kits. You'd be able to install 2 pairs of 1 GB kits for a total of 2 GB's in the system. OR, if you really wanted to go as a minimum 2 GB's with the option to expand to 4 GB's later on, I'd recommend Corsair's TwinX2048-3200C2 (2.5-3-3-6) 2 GB dual-channel kit.

As for the ramifications of running 4 dual-sided, high-density memory modules on the NForce 3 platform with the Athlon's onboard memory controller, I'm not sure. AFAIK, the command rate drops to 2T, resulting in a performance decrease. I'm not 100% sure on that though, so you'll definately need a 2nd opinion on that one.

I'm a bit confused. Are these "kits" you mentioned 2 sticks that would occupy 2 of the 4 memory slots on the MB?

Are there pairing requirements for AMD boards like there were with RAMBUS RIMMS; you had to install them in pairs (a MB with 4 slots only had a choice of using 4 RIMMS, or, 2 RIMMS and 2 CRIMMS).

tazz said:
well welcome to this forum.
the fx-55 is 800 bucks.
and get all your stuff from newegg.com.
sim guy told u a lot of good stuff,
Service Pack 2 works great with amd 64 chips.
i have a amd 64 3200 +
and i never had any trouble with service pack 2
all my games run great like doom 3
call of duty games.
medal of honor games.
but for the mobo u should look in to asus mobos.
alienware builds there fx-55 gameing rig useing asus
i have an asus mobo and 3 of my friends they are great.
so good luck

I checked out their site and they have the "ABIT AV8 - VIA K8T800 Pro" motherboard in their Aurora FX-55 systems. I've had 2 VIA MBs in the past (4 years ago), and hated them both. :(
Are they still using that bizarro 4in1 driver package?

Which ASUS were you referring to?

why do you call the via 4-in-1 "bizzarro"?

You do realize that it's just an Installshield pacakge for your chipset drivers, right? Intel calls it their "INF Update". nVidia calls it their "Unified" drivers.

potroast said:
why do you call the via 4-in-1 "bizzarro"?

You do realize that it's just an Installshield pacakge for your chipset drivers, right? Intel calls it their "INF Update". nVidia calls it their "Unified" drivers.

Back when I used them (4+++++ years ago) they were not only difficult to find, but difficult to install, download, and get working correctly. Too many times I installed them and found out soon after this version was corrupt, recalled, undocumented, ruined OS installs, was immediately updated, or disappeared mysteriously from their site.

Are they better now?

z0dd said:
Back when I used them (4+++++ years ago) they were not only difficult to find, but difficult to install, download, and get working correctly. Too many times I installed them and found out soon after this version was corrupt, recalled, undocumented, ruined OS installs, was immediately updated, or disappeared mysteriously from their site.

Are they better now?

i dont use VIA for those reasons, and others.. it hink VIA sucks too!

id spring for an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, that is what im getting when i go s939

z0dd said:
I've read good things about the MSI board. Is this the board most people are using for socket 939?

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anyone will have this board in stock until the middle of the month, at the earliest. Anyone know of a vendor that has it now?

Hmm, I just realised something. nVidia makes these boards and my video board is from ATI. Any chance nVidia gimps ATI boards when used in their MBs? :eek:

I'm a bit confused. Are these "kits" you mentioned 2 sticks that would occupy 2 of the 4 memory slots on the MB?

Are there pairing requirements for AMD boards like there were with RAMBUS RIMMS; you had to install them in pairs (a MB with 4 slots only had a choice of using 4 RIMMS, or, 2 RIMMS and 2 CRIMMS).

I would say its' a dead heat between the Asus A8V Deluxe (VIA K8T800 Pro) & the MSI K8N Neo2 (NForce 3) for the title of "most used S939 board." Since the memory controller has moved onto the A64 now, there is little to no performance difference between the chipsets. Both feature locks. Both feature SATA, GLAN, USB2, IEEE1394. NF3 offers an onchip firewall that VIA doesn't, but other than that, they are nearly the same and offer roughly the same performance.

No, NVidia doesn't "gimp" ATI graphics cards on systems that utilize their chipsets... at least that I'm aware of. :) :cool:

To clarify with the memory situation: The FX-55 has a dual-channel memory controller. It can double the memory bandwidth available to the system as long as identical pairs of memory modules are installed. In order to get 4 GB of RAM in dual-channel mode, you need to install 2 identical sets of memory... and each of those identical sets contains 2 identical modules.

So, for 4 GB you'd need 4x1024 MB modules. Each Corsair TwinX2048-3200C2 kit comes with 2 matched modules (2x1024 MB).

You can still just install an odd-number of modules if you wanted to, but they would not work in dual-channel mode, effectively cutting your memory bandwidth by 50%.

Hopefully that clears it up for ya. :)

z0dd said:

Are they better now?
Yes, alot better. As VIA became a bigger and more successful company, they cleaned up their act with drivers. I have a socket 939 3000+ and an Asus A8V Deluxe Rev. 2 motherboard and I love it. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone building a socket 939 system.

why on earth would somebody want an xp-90 when they could opt for the xp-120 and save a few dB's? :confused:

get that and a fan controller... save the headache of a POS 80/92mm at high speed.

and from what ive read about the Neo2 is hit or miss... lets just hope you do not miss if you were inclined to purchase one.

Thanks for the replies everyone, especially SimGuy.

Anyone know reliable vendors others than NewEgg and Monarch? Those are the only 2 I've used.

Jason711 said:
why on earth would somebody want an xp-90 when they could opt for the xp-120 and save a few dB's? :confused:

get that and a fan controller... save the headache of a POS 80/92mm at high speed.

and from what ive read about the Neo2 is hit or miss... lets just hope you do not miss if you were inclined to purchase one.

Because, according to ThermalRight, the XP-120 will NOT fit the K8N Neo2. ;)

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_support_faq_motherboard_xp120_k8.htm

The XP-120 won't fit alot of mobos. The XP-90 fits almost everything, and gives you almost exactly the same cooling. That said, I do like the less noise/ more airflow you get with 120mm fans. :)

My sig should answer most of your questions. I bought the FX-55 at Monarch and everything else at Newegg.

hey there i guess alienware changed mobos because they were useing the asus,
KN8 mobo my friend has this asus

Back