AMD Q3 "Earnings" - What's your best guess?

Man, some of you guys were way off. Don't quit your day jobs. :) And looks like investors have a little bit of Barcelona lovin' going on.

results are out

http://www.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUSWNAS703620071018

"third-quarter net loss was $396 million"

Congrats jwlangs and BigDH01 you were close :)

I'd say AMD's 3Q07 losses will be somewhat less than last quarter's losses, around the neighborhood of $300 - $400 million

Whaaaaa? I wasn't close? :eek: :confused: :mad:

Ahhhh big deal anyway... :rolleyes: :D Back to the discussion:

I feel it's important to note this fact of the earnings report:

http://newsticker.welt.de/index.php?channel=fin&module=smarthouse&id=610269

"Third quarter results include a negative impact of $120 million, or $0.22 per share, due to ATI acquisition-related, integration and severance charges and impairment of assets."

So actually, without the ATI payment cost, AMD's losses come in at 276 million, closer to its actual operating loss, (226 million) which is far more important to take note of.

Bottom line: the quicker AMD gets it's ATI acquisition debt paid off, the quicker it will get back in the black. They are doing everything else to reduce debt and help raise their margins with more efficient 65nm FAB production, next gen wares and trimming the fat, but at how fast and how soon are the real questions none of us have an answer for. Hopefully AMD will stay on track to paying off it's ATI debt and getting it's K10 wares on the market and newer ATI products out to achieve their goals within previously stated time frames.

good to hear, looks like amd isnt doing too bad. taking some hits, no doubt, but still in the game

I disagree with Rivets assesments,in that they should not cut thier way to profitibality.They should,they need to start laying people off.

I disagree with Rivets assesments,in that they should not cut thier way to profitibality.They should,they need to start laying people off.

The multitude of on-going projects that are essential for the company's mid to long term survival depend on having enough people to work on them. Layoffs will only result in disastrous consequences. It is NOT the answer.

The multitude of on-going projects that are essential for the company's mid to long term survival depend on having enough people to work on them. Layoffs will only result in disastrous consequences. It is NOT the answer.

word, amd needs to heavilly invest in the future. otherwise they might as well call it quits.

Wondering how those old ATI executives are doing ... probably enjoying their yachts and beach houses
sipping Margaritas on some tropical island for what AMD paid to buy them out. Laughing all the way to the
bank no doubt

Net Loss: $396 million*

I think you have some insider trading going on...

:cool:

Wondering how those old ATI executives are doing ... probably enjoying their yachts and beach houses
sipping Margaritas on some tropical island for what AMD paid to buy them out. Laughing all the way to the
bank no doubt

amd execs are doing the same.

stastically and not logically speaking, CEO's who perform worse are higher paid and get paid a lot more for getting fired than for a CEO that does a better job for a company.

300 whatever million is a few of those guys salary for the year combined. some of the CEO's make 150 million for retiring/forced to retire out of being just crappy.

300 whatever million is peanuts for that world. it might bankrupt amd, but that isnt a matter for the people who run it.

i would quote the sources but the lecture on business at my graduate school was so boring. philosophy of business.

almost as boring as your mind.

Given that you work for them,your opinion is somewhat tainted :D :p

Could you imagine if the industry had the same lack of foresight being displayed here? Hoo boy.

My opinion would remain the same regardless. In this industry, if a company does not invest as much as it can in R&D, then it is doomed.

do you really think the people that are paid 20+ million a year as a salary care if the company does well or if they make the most money before they shortly retire?

Golly gee really ?
Have I offended you in some way? No need to be acerbic here.

~El~Jefe~ said:
do you really think the people that are paid 20+ million a year as a salary care if the company does well or if they make the most money before they shortly retire?
Since most of the execs' income are directly tied to the company's performance, yes.

Have I offended you in some way? No need to be acerbic here.

Hell no,but you tell me this as if I just fell off the turnip truck... :p Beleive me I did not.btw....where did you get/how did you choose your current forum name ?

morfinx said:
Since most of the execs' income are directly tied to the company's performance, yes.

You cannot be serious !!!

Thats 1000% crap,as Wrector is making more then Otellini is,and Ruinz is an abject failure in comparison to Paul. :D

In your view, should they have accepted?

Yes,I think all that hold a few cards from this frayed deck should take a serious look.

Back