AMD Puma based laptop sighted

that is a flaming pos I WANT THE mobile 3800 NOT the shitty 3470 wtf they made that aan x2 the hell

that is a flaming pos I WANT THE mobile 3800 NOT the shitty 3470 wtf they made that aan x2 the hell
Whoa, tough crowd. :p
----

I wonder where the rest of the "over 100" Puma design wins are. Probably next to the 100 mobility 4800 series design wins. :p

wasnt it puma that amd said will support their mobile GPU platform the XGP???

Whoa, forgive me for being ignorant. But with that XGP hooked up will it disable the 'onboard' graphics and feed back through to the LCD? Seems neat.

Whoa, forgive me for being ignorant. But with that XGP hooked up will it disable the 'onboard' graphics and feed back through to the LCD? Seems neat.
I think that it will use both GPUs independently if you have an external monitor so that you can have dual displays but don't quote me on that. I don't know whether the XGP could power up the internal LCD.

it's actually 3470 X2 according to the page.

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3470 Hybrid X2 graphics (256 MB GDDR2)

That would kick the crap out of anything short of the 8700-8800 monsters found in 15 lb Dell XPS laptops. :D

My brother and I bought my dad a Puma based HP laptop last week - it is actually pretty decent. 4GB of RAM, ZM-80 2.1 GHz Turion, etc.. I'm tempted to go get one for myself.

Anyone see how these chips compare to the old Turion X2's? Or how they compare to any of Intel's mobile chips?

How is the performance in games? I was looking at the HP laptop but I think that 15.4" is too big for me. Hopefully there will be some with 14.1" screen later.

Wonder when the Puma vs Centrino 2 (or whatever its called) benchmarks/comparo's will start to pop up...

Hopefully this will do quite well.

Wonder when the Puma vs Centrino 2 (or whatever its called) benchmarks/comparo's will start to pop up...
The Turion Ultra CPU is still a K8 processor, just with 2 x 1MB L2 (and AM2+) instead of the older Turion with 2 x 512KB L2.

The "Centrino 2" CPU (Core 2 P8000 series) got a significant drop in TDP, down to 25W now for speeds up to 2.53GHz, and a faster FSB (1066MHz). That's an improvement over the older 800MHz FSB mobile Penryn and Merom CPUs.

There's still the clock for clock gap and a clock speed deficit on the Turion Ultra, so relative positions will be unchanged from the older Turion vs Santa Rosa platform Core 2 CPUs.

One bright spot was that I saw a $400 Toshiba 780V/QL-60 (1.9GHz AM2+) laptop last weekend. It has the fastest integrated graphics (AMD Radeon 3100) of any low or high cost laptop, if that appeals to you.

What do you run on your laptop which needs more CPU power? I doubt that there is any mobile GPU that can be bottlenecked by any mobile CPU in the market now.

The Turion Ultra CPU is still a K8 processor, just with 2 x 1MB L2 (and AM2+) instead of the older Turion with 2 x 512KB L2.

The "Centrino 2" CPU (Core 2 P8000 series) got a significant drop in TDP, down to 25W now for speeds up to 2.53GHz, and a faster FSB (1066MHz). That's an improvement over the older 800MHz FSB mobile Penryn and Merom CPUs.

There's still the clock for clock gap and a clock speed deficit on the Turion Ultra, so relative positions will be unchanged from the older Turion vs Santa Rosa platform Core 2 CPUs.

One bright spot was that I saw a $400 Toshiba 780V/QL-60 (1.9GHz AM2+) laptop last weekend. It has the fastest integrated graphics (AMD Radeon 3100) of any low or high cost laptop, if that appeals to you.

just to correct you yes The Turion Ultra CPU is still a K8 processor but it has been completely redesigned they added ht3 and split power planes

Back