AMD Publishes 21st Annual Corporate Responsibility Report

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today released its 21st corporate responsibility (CR) report and summary magazine, detailing the company’s progress towards its social and environmental goals, as well as outlining the CR impacts and opportunities in its supply chain and associated with the use of its products. The report includes several case studies demonstrating how AMD technologies are helping to improve the world around us ranging from virtual reality applications for education and helping veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) to supercomputers that are mapping the galaxy.

Report Highlights:
  • AMD’s primary silicon wafer foundry partners now report as “conflict-free” – meaning they do not use materials that support warring groups in Central Africa. Also, 100 percent of the known smelters or refiners of conflict minerals in AMD’s supply chain have been independently audited and 96 percent are certified as conflict free.
  • AMD announced new “science based” climate action targets designed to avoid the worst effects of climate change. AMD also endorsed the “American Business Act on Climate Pledge” to support action-oriented outcomes from the 2015 United Nations climate summit in Paris.
  • AMD is ahead of schedule to achieve the target of improving the energy efficiency of its accelerated processing units (APUs) 25 times by 2020 (compared to 2014 baseline).
  • AMD was ranked 13th the Forbes list of the 25 Happiest Companies to Work for 2015 and 14th in Business Insider’s 2015 list of the 25 Best Tech Companies to Work for in America.
  • 1,184 employee volunteers contributed more than 3,500 hours across 17 AMD locations during the company’s 2015 “AMD Cares Global Day of Service.”
  • In 2015 AMD employees took actions that helped save more than 3 million liters of water, avoid more than 87 thousand kilograms of CO2 emissions, save more than 70 thousand kilowatt hours of electricity and reduce more than 5 thousand kilograms of solid waste.
  • Through corporate and facilities conservation programs, AMD reduced energy use by 12 percent and water use 10 percent, while diverting 77 percent of non-hazardous waste from landfills, saving more than $4 million USD.

AMD was ranked 13th the Forbes list of the 25 Happiest Companies to Work for 2015 and 14th in Business Insider’s 2015 list of the 25 Best Tech Companies to Work for in America.

That's really cool. Hopefully happy employees translates to happy customers.

But don't their quad processors consume twice as much energy?

Sure, "we" save the planet while products sold to the public don't. Been doing it for over 4 years now.
Shouldn't put yourself on a high horse after all.

Conflict free? I'm sure they don't know how we get the "crude" oil.

The 8370e and the 8320e are 95w TDP parts. Under normal usage I am seeing under 65w used on an 8320e.

And yeah, their "current" desktop processors do use more power than Intel chips. Just wait for Zen and then revisit your "feelings".

Does no one take into consideration the fact that intels research and development budget and in house fabrication facilities might obviously lead to them being able to advance their chips quicker than AMD? It is really hard to rate amd bad just because they may not have the resources to step up to the intel game every single fucking time a new intel chip comes out.

This is nice and all, and I support the effort, but please, AMD focus on your core product offerings instead of stuff like this, or you won't be around to do corporate responsibility efforts for much longer...

87 thousand kilograms of CO2 emissions, save more than 70 thousand kilowatt hours of electricity and reduce more than 5 thousand kilograms of solid waste.

I'm wondering if the people wiiting this says 100 as "10s of 10s". Why do they say thousand of thousands?
Tons and megawatt would be shorter and less weird way to write it.

AMD saved 87 Thousand thousand thousand thousand nanograms of CO2 emission....

87 thousand kilograms of CO2 emissions, save more than 70 thousand kilowatt hours of electricity and reduce more than 5 thousand kilograms of solid waste.

I'm wondering if the people wiiting this says 100 as "10s of 10s". Why do they say thousand of thousands?
Tons and megawatt would be shorter and less weird way to write it.

AMD saved 87 Thousand thousand thousand thousand nanograms of CO2 emission....

Because longer and more confusing terms makes writers think they sound more "intelligent", when in fact, it makes me think that they don't really know how to write.

Or maybe they are high-schoolers who are required to have a certain work count so they fluff it by using longer terms.

Back