AMD Pricedrops

That makes skipping the FX-8320 harder. :( Trying to hold out for the next generation!

Thank you for posting this.

Nice find but I already picked up a FX 8350 3 weeks ago. :) Oh well, the 8350 is not on that list anyways.

no point buying with the 6700 and 6800k coming out soon (hopefully)

Interesting... I wish AMD would come out and say once and for all whether Steamroller will fit in current motherboards or not.

Interesting... I wish AMD would come out and say once and for all whether Steamroller will fit in current motherboards or not.

Huh? I thought it was already pretty common knowledge that Steamroller is going to be AM3+'s last hurrah.

man, makes the FX6300 really tempting. its a shame i already have to many computers...

And thats why boys and girls Im selling my 2600k because its still selling for almost what I payed for, not drop $50 since release.

i still want to see a 95W eight core piledriver, that would be tempting for a small box.

i still want to see a 95W eight core piledriver, that would be tempting for a small box.
It already exists. The FX-8300, but it is an OEM only part. There are no decent small form factor AM3+ motherboards and the thermals are still bad so I dont see the point in shoving one into a small rig. Maybe steamroller will bring the small form factor motherboards the FX line needs.

edit for clarity

Last edited:
It already exists. The FX-8300, but it is an OEM only part. There are no decent AM3+ motherboards and the thermals are still bad so I dont see the point in shoving one into a small rig. Maybe steamroller will bring the small form factor motherboards the FX line needs.

What is your idea of a "Decent" board? There are a bunch of highly featured boards from $100-$150 with 970/990fx chipset available.

What is your idea of a "Decent" board? There are a bunch of highly featured boards from $100-$150 with 970/990fx chipset available.
Should have been more clear. Response was towards the "small box" part of the quote. There are many good ATX mobos in AM3+. editted original reply to avoid confusion

There are no am3+ micro atx boards with more than 1 pci express 2.0 x16 slot

edit: didn't see prays original reply. But yea, there are a lot of great 970/990 atx mobos out there.

Last edited:
Huh? I thought it was already pretty common knowledge that Steamroller is going to be AM3+'s last hurrah.

I hope so. Maybe i 've misunderstood, but from some discussions here lately, i started worrying that a new chipset and socket could appear...

There are no am3+ micro atx boards with more than 1 pci express 2.0 x16 slot

edit: didn't see prays original reply. But yea, there are a lot of great 970/990 atx mobos out there.

But you are right: there are no 'reliable' SLI/CFX micro-ATX AM3 boards. If you want one, you need to grab a dodgy brand like Biostar or ECS... And I'm not willing to put my unsaved work in the hands of one of those boards.

But you are right: there are no 'reliable' SLI/CFX micro-ATX AM3 boards. If you want one, you need to grab a dodgy brand like Biostar or ECS... And I'm not willing to put my unsaved work in the hands of one of those boards.

Biostar makes a good board. Usually is cheaper only because it lacks some of the extra goodies. I had one at one time that still works that folded 24/7 for 3 years and was overclocked as well as the AMD chip in it.

there are no AM3+ boards using a decent chipset and with a high-end voltage regulation setup.

all bargain big garbage. sadly.

i still want a 95W eight core however.

i still want a 95W eight core however.

Downclock and lower voltage. In other news, I have misplaced my custom wiring harness that allowed me to measure cpu power usage going into a motherboard.

Downclock and lower voltage. In other news, I have misplaced my custom wiring harness that allowed me to measure cpu power usage going into a motherboard.

There is no guarantee that the cpu can work at load with the lower core voltage and clock speed. I am use the user you quoted probably thought of that and wants an out of the box processor instead.

There is no guarantee that the cpu can work at load with the lower core voltage and clock speed. I am use the user you quoted probably thought of that and wants an out of the box processor instead.

Man, the [H] forum is getting soft. People downclock and undervolt for HTPC all the time. You are incorrect, there is an operational voltage range for silicon devices. The last time I tried, I think I got down to about 0.80 volts.

Man, the [H] forum is getting soft. People downclock and undervolt for HTPC all the time. You are incorrect, there is an operational voltage range for silicon devices. The last time I tried, I think I got down to about 0.80 volts.

What i miss more in Piledrivers, is the lack of K10Stat. The main issue with heat/power draw isn't at the lower power states, but at the higher one. For example, my 1090T whether it runs at 800Mhz at 0.9v or 0.825v, makes very little difference. Maybe 1W measured with killawatt.
The good thing with K10Stat, is that you solve such issues with high flexibility. Right now i can temporarily lock the CPU at 2400Mhz 1.15v and immediately you have an energy efficient Thuban. If i think i need all the power, i can click and unlock the frequency again. That's way more versatile than going into BIOS each time with Piledrivers.

Back