AMD Previews 7nm Ryzen CPUs at CES

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by AlphaAtlas, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Donald Bell

Donald Bell Limp Gawd

Anyone notice the extra room below the CPU chip? Something tells me they are saving the 16c/32t Ryzen monster for a response to Intel depending on what they do. See my doctored photo.

10sdu7b.jpg

dali71 likes this.
  2. juanrga

juanrga Pro-Intel / Anti-AMD Just FYI

5150Joker likes this.
  3. juanrga

AdoredTV said desktop would be different, only one die. So he failed on that as well.

_mockingbird and 5150Joker like this.
  4. hurleybird

hurleybird [H]Lite

Neapolitan6th Those scores seem a bit high across the board.

5. jmnovak

jmnovak [H]Lite

Single core performance is obviously on par with a 9900k but guessing at lower clock speed. IPC efficiency itself has most likely went up 10% clock for clock. A 2700x @ 4.3ghz get 180 in CB15 for single core. Just on IPC improvements alone the new chips should probably get 198 to 200 at the same speed. Add a few hundred megahertz to the top end (4.8ghz) and they should have no problem performing better than Intel's 9000 series. With overclocking you might see 5 to 5.2ghz but I would be very surprised if we see any higher than that. I feel like there's a hard limit starting to rear its ugly head with the chip technology. Intel has billions of dollars in r&d I'm sure if there was a way to push the clock speeds higher they would have done it by now. I think from this point out it's going to have to be a massive change in architecture and materials in order to push speed any higher with the same design.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  6. RanceJustice

RanceJustice [H]ardness Supreme

I'm pleased to see the progress but I really hope they launch much sooner. After all, isn't Q2 supposed to be when Threadripper 3000 7nm Zen2 series arrive? They have Intel on the ropes here, but if they don't launch in stores by March for at least the AM4, that would be disappointing. I hope that neither AM4 nor Threadripper are delayed...

mikeo likes this.
  7. juanrga

Guru3D OC the AMD chips and uses engineering samples for Intel.

8. hurleybird

hurleybird [H]Lite

If you watch the part of the livestream where Lisa holds up the processor, you can actually see the attach point of the 2nd chiplet shimmer here and there as the light catches it at certain angles.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  9. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

You can get that now with a 9700K.

juanrga likes this.
  10. Donald Bell

Donald Bell Limp Gawd

You mean this? :)
    154zosn.jpg

mashie, 5150Joker, N4CR and 10 others like this.
  11. thenapalm

thenapalm Limp Gawd

12. DNMock

DNMock Limp Gawd

Didn't intel already shoot their wad with their upcoming canyon series CPU's?

Unless they secretly got their 10nm fab producing somehow I think AMD is gonna be just fine in the consumer desktop market in 2019

13. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

What AdoredTV said is that his sources said they did not know about an IO die for Ryzen 3000 .

schmide likes this.
  14. Sindalis

Sindalis n00b

If you watch his videos he had two thoughts on what it could possibly be, and his hope was for a chiplet based design with an IO die. His original leak/predictions in early December are remarkably similar to exactly how the ryzen 2 die shot looks.

As far as why only one chiplet is being used? Thats actually quite easy to explain. These are 8-core chiplets. It was speculated that the 8-core Ryzen cpu's without integrated graphics would be using 2 4-core chiplets rather than 1 8-core chiplet

It's entirely possible that instead of using 2 dies for a 8 core cpu. Their yeilds on Zen 2 are so good that they can afford to just use a single 8-core chiplet rather than 2 4-core ones and save the 4-core defective chiplets to lower end parts.

There is clearly space on the die for a second CPU chiplet or a GPU chiplet. I would expect for us to see chips in the near future that would use it. Whether those are going to be part of the Ryzen 3000 series is yet to be seen.

Pieter3dnow and schmide like this.
  15. oldmanbal

oldmanbal 2[H]4U

Maybe they've decided not to cannibalize their Threadripper product stack, since there's no competition from Intel to warrant a serious jump in cores.

Sulphademus likes this.
  16. alxlwson

alxlwson You Know Where I Live

I wonder if separating IO from the compute section allows them to crank the clocks up and not have to deal with the extra heat from the IO section>?

Armenius likes this.
  17. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

You say that because you know how high Intel clocks their chips. The designs and the process could be vastly different Intel has been with 14nm for 5 years now? That process has been golden for them the last few improvements.

Between design and process difference it is incredibly hard to tell why when where what with frequency in mind until both AMD and Intel engineers compare notes.

18. DuronBurgerMan

DuronBurgerMan [H]ard|Gawd

That seals it. 16 cores are probably on the horizon.

Funny that AMD didn't demo that, though.

schmide likes this.
  19. DuronBurgerMan

DuronBurgerMan [H]ard|Gawd

AdoredTV put out a video specifically saying ANNOUNCED, not launch. He called this out, specifically. I still think it wasn't even much of an announcement, though. More like a teaser. So he's kinda-sorta wrong on that.

And I don't care what Wccftech says. It's a rag. If they were a print publication, I'd use it for toilet paper.

N4CR, GoldenTiger and Pieter3dnow like this.
  20. Sikkyu

Sikkyu I Question Reality

It allows them to bin the cores without worrying about good cores and bad IO. You can bin good cores and good IO without any issues at all and make way more on it.

21. rtangwai

rtangwai [H]ard|Gawd

You're making me feel old - I remember when Intel put a heatsink on the 486DX, it was considered sacrilege: "WHAT?!?!?! Heatsink *AND* active cooling?!?!?! If you need that you aren't building the chip right!!!!"

22. Lord of Shadows

Lord of Shadows 2[H]4U

16 core am4 has to mean 64 core thread rippers with IO die coming down the pipe right? I can't have my rig be bested by some B350

mashie likes this.
  23. schmide

schmide Limp Gawd

Holy crap people. The existence of a pre-relase chip showing one configuration does not magically disprove the possibility of skews with greater core counts.

I know if I had to debug something I would start with the least common denominator.

24. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th [H]ard|Gawd

They confirmed 64 core EPYC in the press conference so I'd imagine Threadripper would be an option if they wanted to.

25. Meaker

Meaker Official representative of powernotebooks.com!

2700+ would have melted through the motherboard with a fan less little block. Had an slk-800 on my 2500+ Barton core ;)

26. DF-1

DF-1 2[H]4U

what happened Kyle? what happened! :jawdrop:

wheres the 16c

27. Donald Bell

Donald Bell Limp Gawd

In AMD's back pocket

Sulphademus, Olle P and thenapalm like this.
  28. mikeo

mikeo Limp Gawd

If more games could make use of my 6c/12t 3930k from 2012 that would be great lol.

GSDragoon likes this.
  29. CentroX

CentroX n00b

People really expected amd to launch ryzen 3000 series this soon? It was 8 months ago that 2000 series was launched. I cannot believe anyone thinking this was q1. I expected q4 and got q2.

Intel wont be able to do something amazing in 5 months.

30. Galvin

Galvin 2[H]4U

Intel doesn't have anything right now. All I been reading is they'll have something for the holidays. Which places us around thanks giving or later. So 11 months from now

31. steakman1971

steakman1971 2[H]4U

AMD is quite the tease. I'm still waiting...the 2700x is still a compelling option!
    I also decided to pick up some AMD stock recently. Not that it means anything to the rest of the world, but I'm bullish on them. I'm thinking their bad news is behind them.

N4CR likes this.
  32. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

Apparently the successor to silicon is silicon plus glue.

Intel didn't see that coming.

33. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

Quite off topic, but the leather jacket was a nice touch.

N4CR and GoldenTiger like this.
  34. psyclist

psyclist Gawd

Leather was a funny underhanded dig at Huang. They are doing single chiplet design first because of supply constraints I bet. The first priority is Epyc using 4 of em and then desktop follows, so keeping that constrained to 1 chiplet for now makes the most sense for early 7nm yields, and looks to be at parity in performance parity with Intels top offerings! This also allows them to get them out to the most amount of customers growing that AMD userbase . They will lay the smack down later on with a second chiplet, once production and yields ramp. Good play id say, and gives them something new to release later on. Looking forward to the review guys!

35. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

I think that AMD laid the breadcrumbs, they can't give tons of details this early as they aren't exactly on schedule and don't want to Osborne themselves. So they make it clear, VERRY Clear that they are showing the performance of their 8-core,16-thread part. This part matches performance with Intel's 8/16 part, only using a lot less power. Then Lisa shows a naked CPU with OBVIOUS room for exactly 1 more Chiplet. The power budget is there, the physical room is there, and the design allows for it...

So without saying anything about release specs, AMDs basically teased >8 core AM4 chips.

thenapalm and DeeJayBump like this.
  36. hurleybird

hurleybird [H]Lite

I mean, could be that or not wanting to make your entire current product line look hopelessly obsolete when your next gen parts are still about half a year away.

LightsOut41, psyclist and GSDragoon like this.
  37. variant

variant Gawd

It's juanrga being juanrga.

LightsOut41, N4CR, Verado and 4 others like this.
  38. Qthulu

Qthulu [H]Lite

We've already heard the x570 chipset will be released around may so the 3000 series at that time makes sense.

39. BrotherMichigan

BrotherMichigan Limp Gawd

You know it was a good product teaser when all juanrga can do is nitpick about AdoredTV videos afterward.

Zuul, LightsOut41, mashie and 6 others like this.
  40. {NG}Fidel

{NG}Fidel [H]ardness Supreme

At a stupid price.

Also the amount of posts by certain people in this thread really lets you know Intel is feeling the pressure.
    Its bloody fucking obvious.

Tags: