AMD previewed its upcoming Interlagos (Bulldozer) processor at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

I know there isn't much info released, but the two guys being able to put their hands on the cooler for longer than a second is pretty nice to see. It doesn't mean anything, but I hope the desktop CPU runs that cool.

I know there isn't much info released, but the two guys being able to put their hands on the cooler for longer than a second is pretty nice to see. It doesn't mean anything, but I hope the desktop CPU runs that cool.

Heatsinks don't get hot enough to be untouchable, at least not with the massive airflow rackmount servers can shove through them, certainly not in open air (case cover is off).

Any small 2u servers I have been around the heatsinks are not something you want to touch. I haven't been around anything recently that is less than 90nm, that could be the difference.

I can't believe we're so hard up for actual benchmarks that people are coming away talking about whether or not the heatsink was uncomfortable to touch.

Heatsinks don't get hot enough to be untouchable, at least not with the massive airflow rackmount servers can shove through them, certainly not in open air (case cover is off).

No fans directly pushing air onto the HS. Look at the bobcat stuff. ridiculously small very low power yet designed to go up 90 in a fanless environment and many users are easily seeing 80+ temps. These fan-less units are scorching hot to touch.

No fans directly pushing air onto the HS. Look at the bobcat stuff. ridiculously small very low power yet designed to go up 90 in a fanless environment and many users are easily seeing 80+ temps. These fan-less units are scorching hot to touch.

Mr. Obvious, I was talking about the rackmountable Supermicro server in that video, which has four 40mm 12-17K RPM fans that push a fuckload of air into the heatsinks. Of course completely passive systems will have quite hot heatsinks, as they only rely on convection for cooling, which is very inefficient.

Mr. Obvious, I was talking about the rackmountable Supermicro server in that video, which has four 40mm 12-17K RPM fans that push a fuckload of air into the heatsinks. Of course completely passive systems will have quite hot heatsinks, as they only rely on convection for cooling, which is very inefficient.

except the case is open, and those 12-17k rpm fans have lost much of their efficiency since there is nothing to channel the air over the heatsink.

possibly that too :p I'm just saying those fans are useless with an open case :)

They still push some air through. In addition those heatsinks are big slabs of copper, so they can dissipate heat a lot faster than aluminium. Also, those CPUs could be idle, or low voltage, or both.

They still push some air through. In addition those heatsinks are big slabs of copper, so they can dissipate heat a lot faster than aluminium. Also, those CPUs could be idle, or low voltage, or both.

Or the ambient temperature could've been just above 0 Kelvin. Also the man's hands could have been covered in an invisible, thermally resistant barrier. Perhaps he may have a neurological problem that is blocking the pain receptors in his hand.

^ dammit you beat me to it.

So, first it was the fans cooling it even though the case is open, now the heatsink is good enough to be passive, or it's idle or low voltage. Anything else you want to toss in there :p

Last edited:
Wasn't idle, it was running a CPU stress test as I remember.

All the guy is saying is that you can even make a prescott run cool if you neuter it enough :p

Or have aawwwweeessoommeee cooling.

server rooms are loud and hot, and usually have a million Ethernet wires running about which if not careful you can trip over.

In the data center i used to work at if we performed a hard disk defrag at night you could hear it though out the entire building. We are talking 100,000 sq office building...

i prefer personal servers, much easier to deal with.

12-17k rpm is crazy, those things must be loud as hell.

40mm fans are loud little shits, I'll tell you that. You really want ear protection in there, cause the droning of two sets of blades spinning at over 10k RPM, with ball bearings... is pretty annoying. Supermicro quotes 65 dB for their 17K RPM 40mm fans (of course those crazy fast ones are used in GPU chassis, normal chassis have 10-14K RPM stuff, but still that's 50-56 dB).

usually have a million Ethernet wires running about which if not careful you can trip over.

Server rooms should have all Ethernet cables nicely routed at the back of the racks, then coming up from the top to go to other places, or going down under the floor, otherwise it's a MASSIVE RED SIGN THAT THE COMPANY IS COMPLETE CRAP.

most of the Ethernet wires are routed nicely, but let me tell you that there are always a few strays, usually left behind by the shift before while they were testing stuff, or swapping out racks.

If your really wondering the company was direct tv. ;-) they use servers to host all their local information/tools the customer service reps use while on the phones. It was a rented building, so it wasn't like it had a data center built in so everything was kinda improvised. One nice thing about that place was that i was working with AMD hardware. There was not a Intel machine in the building! Direct tv is certainly a customer of Amd.

Back