AMD Press Conference at Computex

Don't know why you're worried about Vega, they will sell all they can make, the miners are snapping up anything with an AMD sticker on it these days. Gamers be damned.

Don't know why you're worried about Vega, they will sell all they can make, the miners are snapping up anything with an AMD sticker on it these days. Gamers be damned.

I suppose that's true, but if mining drops off they loser their business. It's a fickle game to play as a manufacturer, you can spend a bunch of money replenishing a product and if ethereum tanks no one buys a bunch of cards. This is bad news for everyone, Nvidia is going to be able to price their cards at will. We've seen Intel take a step back on their pricing due to Ryzen, now Nvidia will be unchallanged. I'd expect a price hike for Volta.

Reactions: blkt
like this
Who else is now budgeting for Threadripper plus a pair of 1080ti's and a trio of m2 drives in RAID0?

They had a GP based Titan out for an extended period of time before launching the 1080ti, we all knew, or should have reasonably expected, that Nvidia could have launched the 1080ti at pretty much any time it wanted plus or minus a few days of that Titan release.

Edit to add they could have also launched the full GP chip back in August of 2016, but obviously the reasonable-ish call was made to save all the best chips for the better part of a year for the Quadro and Tesla cards.

I expect threadripper to be god awful for gaming... so I hope no one is planning that unless it's a productivity rig.

like this
I suppose that's true, but if mining drops off they loser their business. It's a fickle game to play as a manufacturer, you can spend a bunch of money replenishing a product and if ethereum tanks no one buys a bunch of cards. This is bad news for everyone, Nvidia is going to be able to price their cards at will. We've seen Intel take a step back on their pricing due to Ryzen, now Nvidia will be unchallanged. I'd expect a price hike for Volta.

That's the thing. Let's just say amd was to launch the gaming Vega instead of FE first they probably couldn't meet the demand. Rx 580s selling like hot cakes is enough to give amd that extra month cushion to ramp up enough units for launch it seems. Sales is not an issue for amd right now. They are selling so many rx 580s it's no joke. Supply is not an issue there either they were available on hard launch and in decent quantities. Amd is not hurting in sales and that is the reason you are seeing FE edition launched before gaming Vega. AMD might have hurried up and launch it in limited quantities but it's not worth it and the probably are more than happy with Ryzen selling well and rx 580s selling so well due to mining.

Who else is now budgeting for Threadripper plus a pair of 1080ti's and a trio of m2 drives in RAID0?
but-why.gif

I expect threadripper to be god awful for gaming... so I hope no one is planning that unless it's a productivity rig.

Is that for real? No just builds fuckin 16 core rig to game at 1080p. How is gaming so damn aweful on Ryzen? All I have seen is paltform maturing and a lot of titles getting patched with significant boost at 1080p. By that account Intel should never launch anything higher then 4 cores. Because 1080p gaming is all we do and we dying for that 6 fps when we are at 120 already.

Why does AMD keep trying this HBM2 bullshit? Keep touting it as the future and yet every time they try and release a card for it you get the "supply issues" speech. The Fury was the same shit and here we are almost 2 years later and STILL with the same old same old.

because they put too much money into HBM and into developing vega around HBM to give up on it.. after vega that'll probably change unless hynix and samsung get their shit together. they did the exact same thing with GDDR4, praised the crap out of it until GDDR5 came out and kicked it's ass and next release they were running GDDR5.

Here is the most promising slide for amd

Zs9Yx13.jpg

Also, it's nice that they will seem to be quad core parts like i7s, but likely more potent graphics compared to what intel has. And did you see that notebook sample with raven ridge? The 2 in 1? Very sleek, these ought to do extremely well for amd.

Umpteen cores for in between turn load times for very large map 4X games, especially in the later stages of a game. Having 12 PCIe 3.0 lanes worth of bandwidth among a trio of m2 drives also means being able to pack or unpack blu ray and 4k blu ray much, much faster (why do people put a 20+ gig file into a split series of .rar archives?!).

further edit, playing a steam game while leaving several cores left over to DL and instal multi-gig updates for any other games without noticeably impacting in game load times because of having 12 lanes of bandwidth.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Umpteen cores for in between turn load times for very large map 4X games, especially in the later stages of a game. Having 12 PCIe 3.0 lanes worth of bandwidth among a trio of m2 drives also means being able to pack up unpack blu ray and 4k blu ray much, much faster.
You may want to reconsider your processor for gaming, especially if you are going SLI (which at this point you are better off settling for a regular 1080 and then replace with Volta). My point is you should be more interested in higher clocks (4C/8T) for gaming unless there is some sort of miracle breakthrough on higher core count clock speeds. Games are not designed or optimized to take advantage of these extra cores/threads (yet).

Lol, next to AMD 900 sq ft space at Siggraph is NVidia 3500 sq ft foot print :D. Why so much floor space for Nvidia? So far Nvidia has by far the largest space at Siggraph. Anyways by then NVidia should have V100 GPU systems up and running and could be comparing them to AMD launched Radeon Instinct MI25 cards.

I'd say 40% of the issues AMD has is it's fan whips up expectations that are impossible to meet. There isn't a whole lot AMD can do about that, besides shut their mouths and let products speak for themselves. The other 60% though, first impression product launches, AMD straight up sucks at. And again, excuses will fly.
They could actually show the damn card instead of teasing it for a year and a half. The reason for the hype is AMD has been leaning into it by constantly teasing dumb things without giving any real information in hopes the die hards won't cave and buy a Ti.

You may want to reconsider your processor for gaming, especially if you are going SLI (which at this point you are better off settling for a regular 1080 and then replace with Volta). My point is you should be more interested in higher clocks (4C/8T) for gaming unless there is some sort of miracle breakthrough on higher core count clock speeds.
For many if not virtually all, the gaming experience would not be significant or better in using a faster quad core processor. What does become more dominate is what else you can do with the multi-core processor that will blow away the more feeble less core ones.

The other aspect with Ryzen is you can build two 8 core systems cheaper then just buying one 16 core Intel system. This could be more productive in a number of ways with a slave machine running 24/7 running rendering, calculations etc. in the back ground while your other one can be more free to do other stuff or work together on the workload.

like this
You may want to reconsider your processor for gaming, especially if you are going SLI (which at this point you are better off settling for a regular 1080 and then replace with Volta). My point is you should be more interested in higher clocks (4C/8T) for gaming unless there is some sort of miracle breakthrough on higher core count clock speeds.

4X games played with all the eyecandy on a 4K screen don't have the same issues/needs as twitch gaming. From most recent to oldest, the only first person perspective games I enjoyed were Portal 2, Portal, Tie Fighter, X-Wing, and Wing Commander. Losing 5% of frames compared to a 4c/8t processor running at 5GHz while likely cutting down considerably the length of on between turn load times while also running non-gaming related processes is worth the trade off.

Throwback to the old dialup days when you were downloading stuff and got disconnected 80% through you only needed to download the missing parts and not the entire file again
Why not just set it up as a torrent way more efficient.

Because torrents didn't exist yet...

But they do now and people are still doing odd file splits and often without good reason. The last time I purposefully split an archive was because I *had* to email an approximately 150MB .pdf file without using any sort of file sharing links and while also respecting a 25MB email size cap inclusive of overhead.

They could actually show the damn card instead of teasing it for a year and a half. The reason for the hype is AMD has been leaning into it by constantly teasing dumb things without giving any real information in hopes the die hards won't cave and buy a Ti.

Dude why don't you get the point! Vega will look no different then Frontier edition. Only difference could be 8GB of ram vs 16. Let's stop beating a dead horse. Seriously why are you pretending like you don't know anything. Unless you have been in a cave. Vega frontier edition is Rx Vega with less memory or may be higher clocks and more gaming optimized drivers than pro drivers. Raja already said it will work with games but RX Vega will be faster than FE edition since it will be more gaming optimized.

Dude why don't you get the point! Vega will look no different then Frontier edition. Only difference could be 8GB of ram vs 16. Let's stop beating a dead horse. Seriously why are you pretending like you don't know anything. Unless you have been in a cave. Vega frontier edition is Rx Vega with less memory or may be higher clocks and more gaming optimized drivers than pro drivers. Raja already said it will work with games but RX Vega will be faster than FE edition since it will be more gaming optimized.

Because the card "should" be out by now. Quite a few of us on this and other forums are getting the same vibes from the Fury and Bulldozer releases than from then Zen leaks and presentation.

Because the card "should" be out by now. Quite a few of us on this and other forums are getting the same vibes from the Fury and Bulldozer releases than from then Zen leaks and presentation.

Why because you said so. you want a card with no memory!m? HBM2 just went in to mass production it seems and may be they don't wanna launch 20k cards like they rumored and then have people all pissed off for low stock. Instead they decided to make a low quantity card available first then ramp up production on gaming rx Vega? I guess that makes too much sense. AMD can't really help Hynix fuckin up the last two quarters. Delaying and delaying HBM2. And finally it looks like it's ramping up now. No HBM2 in large quantities no gaming Vega sorry. Only reason you are seeing a pro card first. And fury was released with same issue. Low stock. Maybe they are trying to avoid that?

Why because you said so. you want a card with no memory!m? HBM2 just went in to mass production it seems and may be they don't wanna launch 20k cards like they rumored and then have people all pissed off for low stock. Instead they decided to make a low quantity card available first then ramp up production on gaming rx Vega? I guess that makes too much sense. AMD can't really help Hynix fuckin up the last two quarters. Delaying and delaying HBM2. And finally it looks like it's ramping up now. No HBM2 in large quantities no gaming Vega sorry. Only reason you are seeing a pro card first. And fury was released with same issue. Low stock. Maybe they are trying to avoid that?

Low stocks of memory wasn't the only issue Fury cards had.

Low stocks of memory wasn't the only issue Fury cards had.

Why are we talking about fury. Fury was 4gb of ram, shitty price and yes hard to find at launch which raised prices. I know because I was there researching.

What I don't understand is fuckin people's mindset. Buy what's available and wait for Vega then. If it's worth it buy it if not you didn't wait for a shiity fucking product. Stop crying and just buy 1080 ti. I did and I don't regret it a bit. But I don't have time to bash on product that is not out. I enjoy what I have.

I can't wait until people start selling all amd share like idiots. I can't wait if it goes below 10 I am buying atleast 500. Because I know for a fact amd is back in CPU game big time and overtime they will be just fine.

Showcasing Vega with a console game at 4k is hilarious. We all know what this really means about it's current state :(

literally no one encodes streams with the GPU encoder. the quality is fucking trash.
Alot of people use NVENC... Hell people use VCE and Quicksync even though the quality is trashy at times. Not everyone is going to stream it to a 2nd computer to do the encoding or shove an elgato in there to do the encoding, plenty of people look for ASIC solutions like that because they are consistent and they don't require large change to their system and they look just as good as x264 very fast without the cpu hit so large scene changes don't hit the computer hard.

The way you worded that reads that you don't understand the mindset of people that are engaged in sexual intercourse, which is another conversation all together from the Threadripper/Vega discussion.

True but funny thing is you understood what I meant. Sorry I don't proof read on my phone. You would be surprised how good of a writer I actually am. But I usually don't care when I am not graded or if I am being judged by a someone behind a keyboard on the internet.

AMD would have been stupid not to compare it to 1080 TI or Titan Xp if it didn't perform.

this. look how AMD very "enthusiastic" showing how their Ryzen compare to Intel CPU even before they start selling them. why they can't do the same with Vega?

True but funny thing is you understood what I meant. Sorry I don't proof read on my phone. You would be surprised how good of a writer I actually am. But I usually don't care when I am not graded or if I am being judged by a someone behind a keyboard on the internet.

If you are worried about being judged by us weirdos on the other side of the monitor, you probably should sign off and pack the computer away right now.

You don't proof read on your phone? What sort of monster are you? :p

You are absolutely right we would be surprised, but enough with the bogus rhetoric how we are all crazy because we are amazed AMD has yet to actually really talk about a card they have been talking about for a year plus, and tell me why in god's name would anyone even care about Vega anymore? The fact is Volta probably is not that far off now and this card is too little too late. If we are to assume a close proximity with the scant amount of info AMD gave us about Vega FE this is not a an impressive card.

You are absolutely right we would be surprised, but enough with the bogus rhetoric how we are all crazy because we are amazed AMD has yet to actually really talk about a card they have been talking about for a year plus, and tell me why in god's name would anyone even care about Vega anymore? The fact is Volta probably is not that far off now and this card is too little too late. If we are to assume a close proximity with the scant amount of info AMD gave us about Vega FE this is not a an impressive card.

So what? Buy Volta! Nothing wrong with that. I just don't see why people wasting their time beating down on a product that was clearly designed for HBM2 and HBM2 is barely starting to ramp up. So AMD can't give you what you want. It's impossible to produce it in large quantities for another few months.

YIkes, announcement of another announcement. Can AMD stop digging a deeper hole in their presentation?

Alot of people use NVENC... Hell people use VCE and Quicksync even though the quality is trashy at times. Not everyone is going to stream it to a 2nd computer to do the encoding or shove an elgato in there to do the encoding, plenty of people look for ASIC solutions like that because they are consistent and they don't require large change to their system and they look just as good as x264 very fast without the cpu hit so large scene changes don't hit the computer hard.
a lot of people that no one cares about or watches use nvenc. there are zero high profile streamers that use nvenc or quicksync. their compression quality is horrific at the bitrates twitch requires. further, this isn't contextually relevant. we're talking about high thread count CPUs. you don't even need a high thread count intel CPU to stream 720p60 in demanding games, and if you have one and you don't use x264, you're stupid. nvenc is not even REMOTELY close to x264 very fast quality. the difference is night and day. i have old shadowplay recordings that are 50 Mbps, magnitudes more than what you can use on twitch, and there is still noticeable artifacting in most scenes. GPU encoding for livestreams with proper quality isn't going to be viable for a long, long, long time.

#waitforvega

And if rumours are true, it will be a limited launch with 16000 cards for the first couple of months. And this is the card that was hyped to release ever since October last year after Pascal launched.

#waitforvega

And if rumours are true, it will be a limited launch with 16000 cards for the first couple of months. And this is the card that was hyped to release ever since October last year after Pascal launched.

What are you even talking about, I remember them teasing Vega 6+ months before Polaris even launched.

I understand HBM2 availability is likely a limiting factor, but let's not pretend that stops them from releasing information, or solid performance data, or even doing a soft launch like they did with Polaris (and virtually every GPU launch, ever)

Vega is slipping further and further into irrelevance with each passing week, what kind of window will AMD even have to recoup profits on this thing?

Best case scenario they make mass availability by mid August that gives it 4.5 months tops vs Pascal then it's poor volta time.

I

I hope AMD learns a lesson about "targeting the mid-range" and their disdain for enthusiast PC gamers.
Probably won't change, though. AMD has struggled in the flagship area for years, and now it seems like they've just stopped trying.

Disappointing. AMD caught Intel with pants down because Intel was lazy with their shitty 2% improvement with new CPU's. Nvidia is a different player, they actually gave us 80-100% performance over the same previous card (980Ti > 1080Ti for example). AMD can't just catch up to that so easily.

I'm a little surprised nobody here has tried to extrapolate or postulate on the handbrake demo. Threadripper vs Ryzen.

Back