AMD Presents New Horizon

did you forget to see that they also showed a handbrake bench? Hate much? shit! lol. Okay it could still fail, but from this point on it will be a major fuckin disaster. I highly highly highly doubt that there is anything staged about this. May be they have to work on optimizing the boards with the chips other than that I see no evidence that Zen would be anything but a decent chip. You cant fuckin fail so hard twice, Design wise even Anandtech said, it looks really good on paper. Looks like its delivering in real life too.

Well, I agree with you. my anger is more toward this conference. Everything points to Ryzen having broadwell-like IPC and what I consider 'acceptable' clockspeeds, which is absolutely incredible. BUT, with AMD, theres always room to fail.

Well, I agree with you. my anger is more toward this conference. Everything points to Ryzen having broadwell-like IPC and what I consider 'acceptable' clockspeeds, which is absolutely incredible. BUT, with AMD, theres always room to fail.

At this point unless it becomes sentient and kills your pets, I don't think it's gonna fail

Reactions: blkt
like this

Thats a better evaluation. But yea there is always room for fuck up with AMD. But I think there is a reason we didn't see good old AMD people bragging about their chips, I think Lisa wants this to be all about her. She owning this one lol..

AMD has over promised and under delivered enough to set itself up for failure more than really should have been the case. I feel like they are trying to be straight about it this time, they don't seem to be claiming WOW performance, just a bit more efficiency and lower pricing I would assume which is a big deal if the price is right. It'll take a couple more months at least to get everything sorted out, products to market and tested to see where this all goes. Looks promising.

like this
At this point unless it becomes sentient and kills your pets, I don't think it's gonna fail

Oh, there are SO many ways this can still fail. I'll list a few.

1: its WAY overpriced, aka 1-to-1 with Intel's products. Ryzen needs to be a undeniable choice. As soon as someone takes the time to go 'uhm er, well maybe' they always go to the more established, well known and popular brand: AKA Intel.

2: it doesent overclock worth a damn. 3.4 Ghz is fine. But you can grab a 4.0Ghz + Skylake with better IPC TODAY for <$400 that will destroy Ryzen (Even what AMD says it will be) in games by over 20%. If Ryzen cant clock to compete, its pretty much a niche rendering CPU.

3. AMD is just flat-out full of shit. this has happened before, Bulldozer beating a 980x, FuryX as an overclockers dream, AMD has said flat-out bold-face no-alternative LIES to its customers before. this can be another one.

what does this have to do anything? Posting old pictures and repeating the FX drum? Seriously we all are optimistic about AMD bringing some real competition. Why can't you be a part of instead of same old negative bullshit. This thread goes great until I read your post. lol

Its like everyone is having fun with it. And here you come with same old pictures. lol

Oh, let him be, I think he feels good when you gets all down in the dumps. LOL Besides, Ryzen could be twice as fast at half the cost of Intel but he would never buy it.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Oh, Please let AMD come back from near-death. No matter what camp you are in, you have to agree that Intel needs some real competition.

I'm using Intel now, and have gone back and forth over the years. But I fondly remember my Athlon 2500+ Barton.

Hello FX launch all over :(

That will be my signature after you eat those words Shintai. Handbrake gives me a good idea you will be very wrong. Looking like AMD actually exceeded their goals, now will just have to wait a bit longer and see what the reviews say.

Posted in the other thread, but 1:23:28 here on stock clocks.

Seeing others results somewhat justifies why I've stuck with X58 for so long lol
X58 Hi Five. Though my I7-920 @ 3.2GHz doesn't quite hold up as well as that Xeon you're sporting, at 2:30:38 it ain't too bad... (compared to at least one other run I've seen)... but this has convinced me it's finally time to throw this box out the window as soon as price war begins.

1:13:16 w/Xeon x5670 @ 4.2 and Kingston HyperX T1 Black Edition (rest of specs in sig). Keeping the fingers crossed that Zen will be good (the Xeon was, originally, a stopgap upgrade that has lasted longer than it was planned to).

Loved the tepid response when they announced the 3.4 Ghz target. The meh was deafening.

Zen isn't going to do much for the enthusiast platform right now it appears. We've been performance starved for years and just offering something comparable to what we have now isn't going to endear AMD to me nor my colleagues. They are certainly making some headway towards closing the gap between themselves and Intel though and that can only mean good things for consumers. The folks who should be excited are the casual and budget conscience gamers. BUT saving some $ in the short term isn't worth it if the cpu has bugs/performance problems with certain games and that's something you have to take into account before allowing yourself to become dazzled by the price/performance ratio.

What I was personally dreaming of (not expecting tho) was a cpu that would walk up to Arma 3 smiling and extending its hand and then quickly retracting it while simultaneously kicking it in the nuts, followed by a 25th and Broadway style curb stomping in plain view of its children. Instead we got a respectable showing that marks something of a comeback for a beleaguered chipmaker. I was hoping for some more forward thinking when it came to gaming as well. Instead of saying that 4k 60FPS was the must have for 2017 I had hoped that Su would acknowledge that 3440x1440 @120FPS was what gamers should be demanding.

In response it looks like Intel is just going to take a bye year with Kaby Lake and only get serious once the fabled lake filled with coffee emerges in 2018.

Oh, Please let AMD come back from near-death. No matter what camp you are in, you have to agree that Intel needs some real competition.

I'm using Intel now, and have gone back and forth over the years. But I fondly remember my Athlon 2500+ Barton.

I really like AMD. But I like them in the same way I like my friend Rufus who was a real good friend of mine until he got into drugs and wasted every opportunity and now asks everyone he knows if he can borrow money and how he has this 'really great idea' that he just needs a little more time and money to get going, but whenever he miraculously gets this idea off the ground, he immediately abandons it and starts asking for money for the next silly idea he has.

I'm planning a new build in 2017 and am specifically waiting for real world performance of Zen. While I am excited about what I saw today, I am of course, cautiously optimistic.

Just for the hell of it, I decided to run the Blender test on the system in my sig, which is still my daily driver. Finished in 5:11.76

I'm really looking forward to an update, and I really hope it can be with AMD. Last AMD machine I had was a Winchester core Athlon64 3000+

Just because this doesn't have enough data :)

Stock 3930k
upload_2016-12-13_19-41-48.png

Overclocked to 4.5

upload_2016-12-13_19-42-16.png

Pretty sure I heard they are calling it "the Platfrom".

Just for fun could we start referring to it as "the Platfrom". I we all do it, maybe it will stick.

My 2500K @ 4.3ghz did it in 2:38.49 first run, 2:27.25 second run, 2:25.15 third run.

Pretty sure I heard they are calling it "the Platfrom".

Just for fun could we start referring to it as "the Platfrom". I we all do it, maybe it will stick.

I will do that on the condition that the "t" is pronounced silently. Deal?

Blender test came out at 2:49:50 on the desktop rig in my sig. Stock wraith cooler, and I saw it continuously throttle to 3.96ghz.

Hello FX launch all over :(
Not seeing it here. I am just as skeptical about AMD as the next, but this genuinely looks like it could be a competitive product. Lets actually give it a chance and wait for the reviews before straight up trashing it.

like this
Rebooting between between runs is getting me 0.1 delta in scores, so reboots between are needed.

hmm yeah that could happen the renderer is probably caching information to quickly use if nothing has changed in the scene.

Scratch this, I think I got something wrong with CPU clocks per core.

Will follow up below.

Last edited:
1:08:44 on my 6700K...my slow ass memory speed might be holding this score back...

My i5 3337u, Asus Vevo PC finished it in 5 minutes and 46 seconds. Shit I never once felt it was slow. Well this is a little tiny PC for everyday use. HAHA

1:08:44 on my 6700K...my slow ass memory speed might be holding this score back...

in my testing its not i got within 1 second the same result on my 6700k 2133 mhz vs 2667 mhz memory. oddly running the 32 bit version is the only way i got a speed increase but it was only about 3 seconds faster (1:03 vs 1:05)

somthing seams "abit" off. I suspect majic. i managed to get a 36 with 2 8 core xeons at 3.2 that would mean the amd cpu as twice the single core as these leaving it about 30% faster then any other stock cpu. givin they are not braging about that and it matched the intel cpu nearly identically i dont think everything is correct.

and my ram is at 1333 mhz so i would assume ram spead dosnt effect much

If they were intentionally trying to be deceptive they wouldn't encourage everyone else to try it to compare. Something does seem off but it may just be application specific and not a cheated test.

If they were intentionally trying to be deceptive they wouldn't encourage everyone else to try it to compare. Something does seem off but it may just be application specific and not a cheated test.

ima wait to see if kyle can come up with a more reasonable clock/solution to get a 10 core to match a 8 core. and if not i shall grab the torches and burn down the establisment responible for this wizardry.

Nice to see they are building with Fractal Design cases!

OK, try as I may, I cannot make these numbers that AMD showed us jive. That said I do NOT have a 6900K here, but rather a 6950X (10C/20T) processor.

I have taken the 6950X and disabled two cores in the BIOS and set all our turbo speeds to run at 3.2GHz. 3.7GHz is boost clock on the 6900K, but under a full core load, it should run at 3.2GHz. Lisa Su did day the 6900K was set up to run at stock settings out of the box, so I would GUESS this is where the clocks would land. Using fast ram here as well, 3200MHz, so that is not holding it back. Verified all cores being used etc. First time I have used Blender to this extent, so maybe it is my lack of knowledge on that end. But still far and away from the 36 seconds that AMD showed for both systems in the demo.

6950xat32003200Blender.png

Did you time the live stream? Could the video have been sped up? Sounds like a long shot to me though. Something is up and its driving me nuts. They are both faster which is what makes it even more interesting. Not the 50+ seconds we are seeing with others.

Back