AMD Presents New Horizon

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD's New Horizon event will be live in a few short minutes. The company is promising, among other things, an exclusive advance preview of its new Zen processor ahead of its Q1 2017 launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like they will have a SFF MB available.

Hmm ... sensors to "enable higher clockspeeds" if you have high-end cooling systems?

Hmm it appears to actually be slightly faster than a 6900k in handbrake....definitely not expecting that.

Equal to a 6900k without boost or optimization, at 45w less TDP.. I'm damn impressed.

Alright 3.4ghz at 95w tdp! so much for it will never happen for anything above 3.2ghz.

Time for the GPU limited benches.

Cant wait for independent reviews rather than PR demos.

She said in those demos boost was disabled. It was locked at 3.4ghz. I guess you mean its 3.4 vs 3.2? makes sense then. But looks like they are over delivering on IPC like lisa said.

Definitely. I was expecting SB levels at best, those demos have it up with Intel's latest.

I don't play DOTA and don't stream games - so can someone explain to me why a 6700K overclocked to 4.5GHz can't simultaneously play DOTA and stream it without dropping frames (badly) on the stream?

OK, they're playing the Rogue One DLC at 4K resolution with high frame rates. Can I do that on my 4790K at 4.5GHz and stock GTX 1080?

I'm damn impressed depending on price and single core performance

lol, if it matches 8 cores with 8 cores, it definitely matches single core. But clock speeds is where its at, I think they over delivered on that a bit. Since everyone expected it to be 3.2 base and 3.5 boost. Looks like AMD had everyone fooled on that. So 3.4 base it matches 6900k it looks like not only in blender but in handbrake as well. So I guess we still need to wait for benches, but Lisa did look a little cocky and over confident, I mean that in a good way. Looks like Zen is over delivering unlike polaris lol.

I don't play DOTA and don't stream games - so can someone explain to me why a 6700K overclocked to 4.5GHz can't simultaneously play DOTA and stream it without dropping frames (badly) on the stream?
Err, ok

Well having handbrake, kaspersky, torrent, teamspeak and about 2 other games running in the background can make streaming DOTA hard on a cpu with only 4 cores I guess

But seriously me thinks,

Any way a 4 core with great IPC and clocks can't keep up with something with good IPC, mediocre clock or so but 8 cores can't keep up is by multitasking way too much

Edit:

Would've liked seeing it go against a 6800k

Gonna be interested in the price point for Ryzen

Ryzen in Q1 2017, and word on when Vega will ship? Q2?
I am sure they are working hard to make it as soon as they can. They might announce it in January with Zen. Makes sense to go big or go home. If its working its all about putting final touches on Vega.

I'm impressed. Now that the NDA is lifted. Let's see what boosted actual market ready chips are capable of. Thus far I'm sold on replacing my venerable 3930k with Ryzen apparently a play with risen, as in AMD has finally risen.

The 490 looks impressive but I want to see some [H] benches on it.

I'm impressed. Now that the NDA is lifted. Let's see what boosted actual market ready chips are capable of. Thus far I'm sold on replacing my venerable 3930k with Ryzen apparently a play with risen, as in AMD has finally risen.

The 490 looks impressive but I want to see some [H] benches on it.
NDA has not lifted on parts and AMD has sampled none yet to any tech journalists to my knowledge.

Back