AMD Powering Both New Upcoming Xbox One Consoles

HardOCP News

[H] News
By now, most of you are aware that Microsoft is rolling out two new Xbox One consoles in the coming months. While the Xbox One S is basically the same console in a smaller form factor, Microsoft's Project Scorpio is a whole different beast hardware wise. At this time, AMD is not providing any information regarding the semi-custom silicon in either console, but the company did release this statement:

We are proud that Microsoft has chosen to expand their Xbox One family of devices with two new consoles featuring AMD’s high-performance semi-custom SoCs that support revolutionary new technologies like HDR, 4K and high fidelity VR to enable the next generation of immersive gaming experiences.

You cant change architecture in the middle of a product life cycle. Its a refresh. This should be obvious.

You cant change architecture in the middle of a product life cycle. Its a refresh. This should be obvious.

Well, with it all being X86, and with MS using their own API, they really could change it quite a bit. However, I think you're right. It may not be one of the current APUs, but same basic architecture. Maybe it's a two chip solution. I tend to doubt that, but it could be an SoC+GPU? It sounded like some revision of the 480 was being included. Whether on die, or discrete GPU I don't know.

Really though, these new mid-cycle updates are to prime console gamers for the inevitable. PC Assimilation. :p Resistance something something...

Last edited by a moderator:
Very likely we'll see much prettier games coming 2017 I hope? Hope we won't have another Witcher 3 downgrade incident.

This is better than a performance target remaining unchanged for nearly decade. This is good for PC gaming.
This. Look at Ubisoft crap lately (Watchdogs in particular). Purposely gimped on PC to make console users feel better. Should all be welcoming these things as a [H] PC gamer.

LOL's at console games being turned into low rent PC gamer's without them even noticing. It's just in an idiot proof package thats all.

This is interesting, as I can't see over 6tflops of GPU running cool in a small console box...

However, Scorpio will be very interesting, and surely makes Sony nervous about the PS4.5?

This is interesting, as I can't see over 6tflops of GPU running cool in a small console box...

However, Scorpio will be very interesting, and surely makes Sony nervous about the PS4.5?

Totally possible. These are not old days. Both will be running at 14nm, pretty do able.

PC gaming is doomed.

I totally disagree. PC gaming lagged because console were piece of shit specs that all developers designed to appeal to the masses. Now if we have a console with 6.0tflops on the GPU, we finally can have developers design a game to push some graphics and also make it much easier for them to tweak it.

I think its good for gaming finally consoles are trying to upgrade faster to stay with times. I think Polaris in PS4, Polaris in xbox scropio and then polaris being pushed hard for cheap in PCs now. For 200! Now developers will have similar architecture to deal with across three platforms. I am for once happy to see consoles being upgraded to these specs.

How the hell is this news?

Did any logical person think they would choose a different GPU provider, and then expect to maintain flawless compatibility with the other console. Come on!

Now Xbone owners will have a way to get PS4 performance, for only the small cost of a whole new console!
And those Waiting for Greatness folks will have to buy a XBox Scorpio to upgrade their upgraded PS4 Neo.

Neo is a Refresh. Scorpio is Next Gen.

The real reason it isn't changing, is what would they change to?

Unless they want to start using ARM CPUs with NVidia GPU, or Intel CPU with Intel integrated GPU.

AMD has the console market for the foreseeable future.

LOL's at console games being turned into low rent PC gamer's without them even noticing. It's just in an idiot proof package thats all.

LOL's at the people who have no idea what they are talking about but pretending that they do.

I totally disagree. PC gaming lagged because console were piece of shit specs that all developers designed to appeal to the masses. Now if we have a console with 6.0tflops on the GPU, we finally can have developers design a game to push some graphics and also make it much easier for them to tweak it.

I think its good for gaming finally consoles are trying to upgrade faster to stay with times. I think Polaris in PS4, Polaris in xbox scropio and then polaris being pushed hard for cheap in PCs now. For 200! Now developers will have similar architecture to deal with across three platforms. I am for once happy to see consoles being upgraded to these specs.

Ah, the blaming of an inanimate object continues I see. No, developers were just unwilling to do what it takes to support the PC. Otherwise, Crysis would never have been released and that was during the XBox 360 release cycle.

How do you figure that? I have neither and don't plan on buying any of them but why aren't they both refreshes?

Sony is enforcing backward and forward compatibility, and no unique games/experiences. It's a half step.

Scorpio is 4x as powerful, aimed at VR/4K, and Microsoft is only enforcing backward compatibility, there can be unique Scorpio games (which all the VR will be).

Sony is enforcing backward and forward compatibility, and no unique games/experiences. It's a half step.

Scorpio is 4x as powerful, aimed at VR/4K, and Microsoft is only enforcing backward compatibility, there can be unique Scorpio games (which all the VR will be).

It sounds like a lot of people are reading into the statement that they are leaving it up to developers if they want to go Scorpio only. Kind of reaching IMHO. There's also a few developers who stated that VR on anything other than the Neo will be horrible. Probably better to see what's going on when Sony actually announces something, other than rumors, since earlier everyone expected both this year.

Ah, the blaming of an inanimate object continues I see. No, developers were just unwilling to do what it takes to support the PC. Otherwise, Crysis would never have been released and that was during the XBox 360 release cycle.
Crysis is kind of the exception that proves the rule, since it was developed exclusively for the PC and ended up looking better than any multi-platform game for maybe the next 5 years? If you look at all the best looking games from then until the latest console generation, they've all been either PC exclusives or ones with PC as the lead skew.

I wonder what the percentage of AMD's sales are for console parts? How good are these contracts for keeping them in business?

It sounds like a lot of people are reading into the statement that they are leaving it up to developers if they want to go Scorpio only. Kind of reaching IMHO.

Leaving it up to developers is the right thing to do. If you enforce forward compatibility, you end up holding back new generations systems.

It's also in Microsoft's best interest for Scorpio to have Exclusives to give people reasons to upgrade old generation consoles.

The fact that Microsoft said nothing about forward compatibility, and that enforcing it benefits almost no one, it is only common sense that forward compatibility won't be enforced and will be up to developers.

This sounds more like a hype train running on the fuel left over from a PR pipe dream.

4X as powerful as what? It's currently about 70% more powerful than the Neo if the rumored Neo specs are to be believed (and the Scorpio, for that matter), but these things still aren't going out until late 2017, so the final specs remain to be seen. If it is 70% more powerful it'll be more expensive to boot. It's far too early to be making any sort of claims right now.

4X as powerful as what? It's currently about 70% more powerful than the Neo if the rumored Neo specs are to be believed (and the Scorpio, for that matter), but these things still aren't going out until late 2017, so the final specs remain to be seen. If it is 70% more powerful it'll be more expensive to boot. It's far too early to be making any sort of claims right now.

4X the current generation.

No one really know what the Neo is, but Sony(from what they said so far) is clearly positioning it as some kind of half step. A PS4.5.

Scorpio is XBox Two. It's huge jump and it's being positioned as next gen.

4X the current generation.

No one really know what the Neo is, but Sony(from what they said so far) is clearly positioning it as some kind of half step. A PS4.5.

Scorpio is XBox Two. It's huge jump and it's being positioned as next gen.
The Neo is supposedly 4.2 Teraflops, but this has not been officially confirmed so it may change, while the Scorpio is 6. It's certainly not a half step. These consoles are also still quite a ways away and I can't see Sony having such an underpowered console in comparison.

in 2013, both machines were pretty much mid range PCs specs wise at the time, so I would expect similar for the newer systems, so 6 TF by December 2017? I can see that as possible, barely since high end PCs are hitting around 8 now. I also would consider Microsoft taking a chance that it will be doable on $400 hardware by then considering that their conservative bet that GDDR5 would be too expensive in 2013 has cost them big over the long run. That said, I would expect 4.2 out of Neo if it was coming out this Christmas as it was originally thought. since that's now next year too I would expect a increase there as well.

Either one is still going to be a bit weak for VR, considering that GTX 1080s still kind of struggle with it.

Last edited:
Back