AMD Polaris GCN 4.0 Macau China Event

The partisanship in this thread is silly. This really has nothing to do with [H] reviews, which certainly don't have an agenda to favor either party.

It's about a fight started by an offhand unprofessional insult from the AMD marketing lead. Rather than talking to this guy in private and saying "Hey man, it isn't OK to talk to us like that. Lets get past this and work together for the benefit of all", [H] went nuclear and called him out by name, burning him in a frontpage article that still comes up in the first page of a Google search on his name, branding him for life. At that point he decided to completely blackball [H]. Because you fucked him.

AMD acted unprofessionally, and [H] reacted by going nuclear. That's why this happened.

If someone had objections about [H] lack of bias then Founders Edition article should have removed them :)

Personally I'm fine with AMD not inviting [H]ardOCP. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but this hastily-put-together Macau announcement by AMD seems to me just another "Hey we have great stuff coming someday, please don't buy the new NVidia product yet" piece of PR BS.

That's exactly what this is. Over the next couple weeks you can expect a strategically released "leaks" that ambiguously suggest Polaris performs close to or in-line with GTX 1070 (or at least that it will deliver more than it actually will). AMD's whole game now is getting you to believe Polaris is going to be a save-the-world miracle of price/performance and to plant a "you'll be sorry" seed in your head.

AMD may have a mid-range competitor in Polaris, and it will most likely be decent price/performance if below $300, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if it competes with GP104.

Holy crap, opened a can-O-worms reading these comments... just wanted to sip my coffee and read some news about AMD's up coming Polaris...
Man, i remember when we used to all get along.... :)
So you got snubbed. It happens. No website is the definitive end all for anything, although for me the (H) is my first stop of the morning.
The sun will rise tomorrow for another tech news day. Looking forward to some good reviews all things back to normal.

AMD may have a mid-range competitor in Polaris, and it will most likely be decent price/performance if below $300, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if it competes with GP104
Polaris is going to come down to pricing, not performance.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Yet another stupid move by AMD marketing. It is not like their cards wont be reviewed by the people they piss off, especially since you will be able to buy their whole Polaris stack this year for the cost of one NVIDIA card.

Sorry to pry, but yes, I'm prying for what you might be able to spill without jeopardizing what you are trying to accomplish.
Sorry, if want to whip people into a frenzy, I will just tell them we did not get invited to AMD's next launch too. :wtf:

I love [H], note my join date is 2004, but if AMD sent a death squad in black helicopters to burn Kyle's house down then released a faster product at a better price, we'd all buy it. Steak matters, not sizzle.

Unfortunately all AMD has right now is hamburger.

AMD has stated the Polaris products are aimed at the ~$300 (and under) price range, I.E. NOT the top-end.

[H] does not believe AMD has an answer to the 1080, citing RUMOr/SCUTTLEBUTT, rather than actual hands-on experience. The bias/pre-judgement in this statement is not even thinly veiled.

No modern editor of any tech rag believes AMD will have something to challenge Pascal. PERIOD. That isn't thinly veiled bias when all the leaks and press info from AMD so far points to confirming that fact. So I would hardly call it bias.

Now we usually agree on most things but here not at all.

Go back to that article, I think it was the FuryX. The problem was never the testing or the games or how it was used. It was the verbage - word usage. Connotations carry a lot of weight. And that article was rife with negativity and slant.

After that the Nano and other issues went on like a play ground squabble, not sure who is to blame so lets say both AMD and [H]. At some point as a publication you have to also learn to politic it a little and take it.

Look at this thread already. Some how a lack of invite has become a call to arms.

Sorry should add after that FuryX article their articles have been far better and way more professional, although some of their threads here have not quite been.

Every last bit of it was justly deserved too.

1. No HDMI 2.0
2. 4K claims were BS unless you cranked settings down.
3. 4 GB memory was choking games at higher texture mem usage
4. Bad overclock
5. Bad price given performance and competition.

So tell me again how the article was bias? Kyle called it the way he saw it. And it's the truth. I'm an AMD fan...or was. But the FuryX was just a bad execution and bad timing.

Looking at your most recent review, there's 6 titles. 5 are GameWorks. So your site is really only providing relevant answers to the following question: "How well does this GPU run in NV GameWorks titles?"...

Now imagine if it was reversed, 6 titles, and you use 5 DX12 games (Quantum Break, Forza, Ashes, Hitman, Gears of War, Rise of Tomb Raider, soon Warhammer), NV GPUs would look utter shit... but it isn't reflective of the overall gaming performance either. It really only answers "How well does this GPU run these DX12 titles"?

Now I know you do more in-depth benches so your number of games is small compared to other tech sites. I understand that. But a smaller sample size opens you up to really badly skewed results, and this is where your selection of games whether right or wrong, reflect really shit on AMD (because they are more optimized for NV GPUs).

So I'm sure guys at AMD will have noticed that it's pointless to give you a sample because it's not going to have a chance at a fair review just because your current games are so heavily skewed to NV.

Just some food for thought.

And in the last several years, as well as in this very post the [H] crew have demonstrated an anti-AMD/pro nVidia slant most evident, as noted above, since the Fury X launch.

So, don't feign outrage when your very words and actions come back to bite [H] in the ass like this non-invite. Action-Reaction.

[H] was very supportive of the 7970. And just because a product didn't come out on top in terms of speed, Kyle and Brent have ALWAYS looked at the value proposition and NVIDIA has not always come out on top. It's a pretty good mix.

Now I'm not saying Kyle doesn't get his feathers ruffled as a reviewer. Sometimes it's hard not to when someone criticizes your work. HOWEVER, I have the utmost faith in the quality of their reviews and the honesty put behind it. I never once questioned the quality of the work.

I'm not saying Polaris is still born, but the plain simple matter of fact is while most graphic cards sales are in the <$300 range, offering 3 year old performance at this point is a no go. This is especially true because 1) Everyone already has at least 3 year old performance 2) New games & 4K are begging for more power. Once again it's just bad timing on AMD's part.

Looking at your most recent review, there's 6 titles. 5 are GameWorks. So your site is really only providing relevant answers to the following question: "How well does this GPU run in NV GameWorks titles?"...

Now imagine if it was reversed, 6 titles, and you use 5 DX12 games (Quantum Break, Forza, Ashes, Hitman, Gears of War, Rise of Tomb Raider, soon Warhammer), NV GPUs would look utter shit... but it isn't reflective of the overall gaming performance either. It really only answers "How well does this GPU run these DX12 titles"?

Now I know you do more in-depth benches so your number of games is small compared to other tech sites. I understand that. But a smaller sample size opens you up to really badly skewed results, and this is where your selection of games whether right or wrong, reflect really shit on AMD (because they are more optimized for NV GPUs).

So I'm sure guys at AMD will have noticed that it's pointless to give you a sample because it's not going to have a chance at a fair review just because your current games are so heavily skewed to NV.

Nvidia titles run better in all those except QB, oh and I don't know about Warhammer

They are not doing smaller sample sizes though, how about picking up that new youtube reviewer? What is his name? AdornedTV? So AMD is targeting reviews that will likely give them the best possible positive reviews, this is the same guy that did AMD's master plan and stated nV would be gone from gaming.......

I mean that statement alone tells ya how idiotically skewed his view points are. And yet AMD sides with that guy?

Every last bit of it was justly deserved too.

1. No HDMI 2.0
2. 4K claims were BS unless you cranked settings down.
3. 4 GB memory was choking games at higher texture mem usage
4. Bad overclock
5. Bad price given performance and competition.

So tell me again how the article was bias? Kyle called it the way he saw it. And it's the truth. I'm an AMD fan...or was. But the FuryX was just a bad execution and bad timing.
And you can't read my post as intended either apparently. I never said bias or inferred it. I was speaking to connotation and overall feel and the article I spoke of in terms of critical writing in a professional sense was terrible. It was likely to warrant the ire of AMD alone. Add to that the threads started here for the repercussions of said article and you can clearly see why whether it should continue or not.

I already stated every article since was on par and void of previous issues. Some even were nearly perfect in a professional sense.

Either way, whether Kyle is invited or not, AMD won't be able to dig themselves out of the hole they dug when they started talking about Polaris as the second coming of christ, thus stopping many people from buying 300 series and Fury, and for what?

For a gp106 competitor. Expectations are high, there will be disappointment, and no amount of selective sampling will save them from the shitstorm

Now I wanna see a current review of quantum break by H, have a feeling it would be loaded with over the top hilarious remarks referencing post in here.

Brother, i have a whole new respect for you. Never even thought about the nerd rage you must get. This shit is just stupid, and i mean stupid on a whole who gives a fuck, get a life kind of stupid.
You could use your position, ie, administrative privileges and what not to totally screw with these chicken shit keyboard warriors, but as far as i have seen, your demeanor has been very respectful and professional, but there is a limit.

Oh you should see what kind of name people call Kyle on OCN. Lots of people are calling Kyle a kid for some reason.

Some of them don't like Kyle because of the emojis he uses, LOL

I was speaking to connotation and overall feel and the article I spoke of in terms of critical writing in a professional sense was terrible.
Don't ever think that some of that connotation and feel was a little bit on your end? Maybe some of that is your inference or personal emotion impacting your own bias. But of course that is out of the question, what am I talking about?

Kyle, everyone has a price. Could your review conclusions be influenced by one of the dGPU companies giving you unlimited hookers and blow?;)

Kyle, everyone has a price. Could your review conclusions be influenced by one of the dGPU companies giving you unlimited hookers and blow?;)
Pretty sure even Intel could buy him off with that

Oh you should see what kind of name people call Kyle on OCN. Lots of people are calling Kyle a kid for some reason.

Some of them don't like Kyle because of the emojis he uses, LOL
I bet, i just never gave it any thought. See, i have a lot of patience for a short amount of time, once that's gone... well its not good.

Go back to that FuryX review. Page one they take pot shots using references to the 290/X heat throttling and posting about AMDs 4Gb 4K targeting in a not so professional way.

You mean pointing out the facts. It isn't taking pot shots, it's telling the truth, and posting facts, if you don't like the facts, take it up with AMD. What I posted about the 290/X heat throttling and 4GB limitations at 4K are factual based on testing and experience and actual data, and relevant to the review.

You mean pointing out the facts. It isn't taking pot shots, it's telling the truth, and posting facts, if you don't like the facts, take it up with AMD. What I posted about the 290/X heat throttling and 4GB limitations at 4K are factual based on testing and experience and actual data, and relevant to the review.

+ the Nano power throttles heavily unless you max out the power limit, at which point it's no more efficient than Fury X

Funny story, literally the first motherboard company I ever visited in Taipei back in the mid-90s offered me prostitutes in exchange for reviews. I declined, and have declined ever since.

You mean pointing out the facts.
Facts?!?!?! You mean your biased recollection of previous products? ;) LOL!

You realize what you are asking us to do is cherry pick games whether they have GameWorks graphics features options or not right? What you propose is the very bias you claim us of performing.

Time and time again I have to state this, we don't chose games based on weather it includes AMD technologies or NVIDIA technologies, that would be biased. Instead, we chose new games that are graphically demanding and forward looking in terms of graphical features and image quality and stress GPUs. We look for graphically feature rich, and popular games. If the game happens to have NVIDIA GameWorks technologies, so be it. If the game happens to have AMD technologies, so be it.

It is not in our control that many of today's newest, most popular and forward looking games are using NVIDIA GameWorks technologies. This is up to the game developer. The fact that many games have these technologies should tell you something. A lot of game devs have embraced GameWorks features to enhance their games. Otherwise, some of these games may not have very good features. Case in point, Fallout 4. Initially it was released with simple standard SSAO. In a later patch, 1.3, the game devs added NVIDIA HBAO+ improving Ambient Occlusion quite a bit in the game. This is an NVIDIA technology, but it works on AMD and NVIDIA GPUs and enhances image quality in the game. It is a good thing.

The lovely thing about any of these features is that they can be disabled if you don't like them, or performance is too much. It is up to us to find out if it is or not and what is playable. If you don't like finding out how video cards perform in the latest graphically demanding games, then this site isn't for you.

Either way, whether Kyle is invited or not, AMD won't be able to dig themselves out of the hole they dug when they started talking about Polaris as the second coming of christ, thus stopping many people from buying 300 series and Fury, and for what?

For a gp106 competitor. Expectations are high, there will be disappointment, and no amount of selective sampling will save them from the shitstorm

AMD Polaris 10 Has 390/390X Performance

You are the only person saying this again and again what is this about exactly ?
Polaris is a mid range card nothing more then that what AMD says or said will not change this. What exactly do you expect from AMD to shut up about their products ?

AMD Polaris 10 Has 390/390X Performance

You are the only person saying this again and again what is this about exactly ?
Polaris is a mid range card nothing more then that what AMD says or said will not change this. What exactly do you expect from AMD to shut up about their products ?

I don't expect anything of Amd. You linked me to a forum post with a fudzilla link, hardly an official statement.

AMD cannibalized their own sales when they started talking about Polaris months ago, remember that? When they said they had a several month advantage over nvidia. Yeah.

I don't expect anything of Amd. You linked me to a forum post with a fudzilla link, hardly an official statement.
AMD cannibalized their own sales when they started talking about Polaris months ago, remember that? When they said they had a several month advantage over nvidia. Yeah.
By that definition Nvidia have been doing the same thing for several years they have no high end competition and they keep releasing high end cards ...

My buddy bought a R9 390 for his wife about a month ago. Both of them knew Polaris was coming. They didn't seem to care. He's getting the GTX 1080i or Vega depending on which is faster. He even bought the big Asus FreeSync monitor for her and a widescreen LG with FreeSync capabilities for his rig. Guess what? If he goes Nvidia the monitor will work just fine for his rig. It's all about performance and value to him. He could care less about the name on the box.

I think people make too many assumptions sometimes.

When is this event starting? Any live streams?

Work is a little slow today. I want a front row seat to watch the paper launch.

By that definition Nvidia have been doing the same thing for several years they have no high end competition and they keep releasing high end cards ...

nV has stopped production of the lines that pascal will be in performance competition with........ So no they didn't do what AMD did.

AMD preemptively showed Polaris to possible influence OEM's which is not a good thing when you have a ton of left over stock of older products. But if you can't get rid of the products anyways.......

What people don't know is the truth about Kyle Bennett, and I am about to break this news wide open.

We're talking Pulitzer level stuff. Are you ready? Can you handle the truth?

Here it is!!!

Kyle Bennett is really Lisa Su, and she has been trolling your asses this whole time.

:kiss:

Back