AMD Polaris GCN 4.0 Macau China Event

Allow me to put things in perspective. AMD is 2nd fiddle to nVidia .... AMD is in the backseat when it comes to Intel CPU's.

This is very unlikely to change going forward. One, they have a fraction of the R&D budget and engineers that the other companies have.

Why would any of you or just anyone in general be excited about a 2nd place company delivering 2nd place performance?

Budge rig? Ok, I get that and yes, AMD with their 2nd place performance and lower cost would be a perfect fit for you.

The bigger picture is this, for most of us, we love building our PC's from the ground up. Why not put the best of the best in your rig and have a world class experience?

Look, AMD is falling further and further behind. So, tell me again, why is AMD important to you?

In a word, Competition, without it, prices would rise !!!

This just solidified my purchase for an Nvidia product. Now I will work some more OT than usual and i just might get the 1080 out of spite.

What baffles me is the thick cloud of wow AMD is in financial trouble and Nvidia this and that. Guys neither AMD or Nvidia gives a shit about what we think. I had no idea some of the people here work in AMD's finance dpt.
Sarcasm aside Maybe AMD does not need to compete with Nvidia with every product launch. Think well established sports car brands. At the end of the day objectivity is a key word. Who gives a fuck how much a Nano is if you have the cash and really need one. Lets stop for a moment and realize that US is no longer the belly button of tech sales. There is EU, Asia and Middle East.

Marketing people handle invites to these things, and you gleefully burned them. The fact that you were totally justified in doing so doesn't matter to those guys; their job is to promote AMD not to be fair. It's not like missing one site will hurt their bottom line. It is what it is.

Marketing people handle invites to these things, and you gleefully burned them. The fact that you were totally justified in doing so doesn't matter to those guys; their job is to promote AMD not to be fair. It's not like missing one site will hurt their bottom line. It is what it is.

Marketing people have tact, Roy has none. This isn't the first time he screwed up. And he did similar stupid shit when he was part of nV.

Not only does he have no tact, he doesn't know how to talk to the media to make AMD look good. Everything he talks about is on a double edged sword and never once has he been able to stay in the middle.

Its on thing to support a company you work for, which he tries to do, but to do it in such a way that is plainly obvious, lack of knowledge, bias, etc, just makes AMD look bad.

I used to work at Intel - 15 years doing microprocessor design. Intel's main "competion" wasn't and isn't AMD, it's the installed base. Unless a new Intel product provides enough of an improvement (these days, it's mainly platform improvements like NVMe or USB 3) at a small enough cost, people will just keep using their old CPUs (Intel or AMD) until they die and Intel's sales will plummet - and they have big R&D and fab expenditures to pay off, so that's a disaster.
NVidia's high-end GPUs are not in the same boat as Intel (yet) but they are headed that way.

I used to work at Intel - 15 years doing microprocessor design. Intel's main "competion" wasn't and isn't AMD, it's the installed base. Unless a new Intel product provides enough of an improvement (these days, it's mainly platform improvements like NVMe or USB 3) at a small enough cost, people will just keep using their old CPUs (Intel or AMD) until they die and Intel's sales will plummet - and they have big R&D and fab expenditures to pay off, so that's a disaster.
NVidia's high-end GPUs are not in the same boat as Intel (yet) but they are headed that way.
Didn't feel that way during Prescott...

It may be a bit premature, but if AMD had an answer to Nvidia right now I'm pretty sure we would have heard something in some kind of response. Present AMD is not the AMD of old and I'm a little sad it has gone in the direction it has over the years. I just bought an ASUS R9 380 STRIX for my son's gaming rig but it's looking like that will be the last AMD card I buy for a long time, if ever. I'm gearing up to build a new rig and it'll definitely have a 1070 or 1080 in it this round. I keep rooting for AMD but they continue to disappoint and that sucks because competition is necessary.

It may be a bit premature, but if AMD had an answer to Nvidia right now I'm pretty sure we would have heard something in some kind of response. Present AMD is not the AMD of old and I'm a little sad it has gone in the direction it has over the years. I just bought an ASUS R9 380 STRIX for my son's gaming rig but it's looking like that will be the last AMD card I buy for a long time, if ever. I'm gearing up to build a new rig and it'll definitely have a 1070 or 1080 in it this round. I keep rooting for AMD but they continue to disappoint and that sucks because competition is necessary.
So the logic is, unless they show us as soon as nvidia does then it doesn't exist. By that logic nvidia would of had nothing to show a couple of times.. Sometimes they wait for God knows what reasons. And we all know it's not going to be as fast as the 1080. It's the price and performance were all waiting to judge
Because a sweet spot does exist.

I think that it's plain to see why AMD is in such money trouble. The have total buffoons running what is left of the show... While it lasts.
If AMD cannot compete with nVidia this time, then that means they have all their eggs in the Zen basket... Man that had better be the best CPU on the market when it comes out, because if it's not, then I give AMD 3 years before they declare bankruptcy.
AMD does not have to compete with Nvidia in the higher price bracket as long as their mid range sells well that is what Polaris is about
I'm sure that you seen to many Harry Potter movies because you can not create a cpu that beats your competitor out of thin air ..

Allow me to put things in perspective. AMD is 2nd fiddle to nVidia .... AMD is in the backseat when it comes to Intel CPU's.
This is very unlikely to change going forward. One, they have a fraction of the R&D budget and engineers that the other companies have.
Why would any of you or just anyone in general be excited about a 2nd place company delivering 2nd place performance?
Budge rig? Ok, I get that and yes, AMD with their 2nd place performance and lower cost would be a perfect fit for you.
The bigger picture is this, for most of us, we love building our PC's from the ground up. Why not put the best of the best in your rig and have a world class experience?
Look, AMD is falling further and further behind. So, tell me again, why is AMD important to you?
Let me paint you a different picture if AMD sucked so badly why did both companies have funds for crippling AMD performance.
Your world class rig would be unaffordable if Nvida and Intel have no competition.

This might be a blessing in a way Kyle if they are going to watch some powerpoint slides and have several different cheerleaders on stage telling you that you should be excited you would not miss much ;) .

Your world class rig would be unaffordable if Nvida and Intel have no competition.
That's not actually how markets work, it's too simplistic. Modern CPUs and GPUs require enormous investments to design and to build fabs for. To make back that investment, the manufacture wants to maximize total gross revenue (I think that the term) , which is equal to number of sales times (revenue per sale - marginal cost). Obviously, if the marginal cost is $200, you make a lot more gross revenue selling 1,000,0000 units at $500 (1e6 * (500-200) = $300 million) than say selling 100,0000 units at $1000 (1e5 * (1000-200) = $80 million dollars).

That's not actually how markets work, it's too simplistic. Modern CPUs and GPUs require enormous investments to design and to build fabs for. To make back that investment, the manufacture wants to maximize total gross revenue (I think that the term) , which is equal to number of sales times (revenue per sale - marginal cost). Obviously, if the marginal cost is $200, you make a lot more gross revenue selling 1,000,0000 units at $500 (1e6 * (500-200) = $300 million) than say selling 100,0000 units at $1000 (1e5 * (1000-200) = $80 million dollars).

You mean companies listed at stock exchange never ever manipulate things or run rampant when they are free of competition Enron ring a bell for you ?

Let me paint you a different picture if AMD sucked so badly why did both companies have funds for crippling AMD performance.

If AMD was super awesome, they'd have more footing in spite of Intel's and Nvidia's funds trying to cripple them.

And as far as world class rigs, that's exactly where we're at. You can spend bankie bucks buying the best there is and feel great about being on top for 6 months.

If systems became "unaffordable" then that means nobody would be able to afford them, people wouldn't buy them, and then Intel would go out of business.

Also, your comment about installed base is spot on; if CPU prices get too expensive (or performance/features/whatever) don't advance at a fast enough pace, people are just going to hang on to what they have and not buy anything. Bad for business.

The fallacy that Intel, or even NVIDIA, needs AMD as "competition" or things would become prohibitively expensive is just fear mongering, IMO.

Kyle - sorry to hear about this one. As much as I like AMD stuff, to me this just doesn't feel right. I'm sure there are plenty of sites that don't paint AMD in a positive light, not sure why you would be singled out for merely being honest. Feels like someone in there has a vendetta against you for some reason. I would hope as this comes to increasing light, someone higher up the AMD food chain will figure out how to make it right. If not, I'm glad you stick to your guns. We all benefit from what you do in the end.

Kyle - sorry to hear about this one. As much as I like AMD stuff, to me this just doesn't feel right. I'm sure there are plenty of sites that don't paint AMD in a positive light, not sure why you would be singled out for merely being honest. Feels like someone in there has a vendetta against you for some reason. I would hope as this comes to increasing light, someone higher up the AMD food chain will figure out how to make it right. If not, I'm glad you stick to your guns. We all benefit from what you do in the end.

Kyle flat out admits he has friends working at nVidia so that might be why

I would have to see a list of who was invited to the 2011 event and who was invited to the 2016 event before I went nuts on this - after all, this is just a PR event with some opportunities for b-roll film of the fab. Now if they don't provide the [H] with card samples (see the Nano fiasco), then I have an issue. I have purchased plenty from both red and green from the days when we started seeing 64mb cards and drooled, but over the years my information sources for unbiased, real reviews have dwindled down to the point where I basically hit the [H] for the reviews, and move on. Too many of the other sites play favorites or rely too much on synthetic benchmarks that don't reflect real world performance. So, if I can't get information from the one source I trust on these new cards, I can assure you, I won't buy one.

Man you guys had such good relationship. I am willing to bet there is one asshole that just doesn't let this happen. I doubt everyone at amd hates hardocp. Someone just trying to make a point every time this comes around. Probably has nothing to do with products I mean they are flying in shit load of people. I think someone probably hating for no reason. Anyone that you think might be pissed at you just to act like a dick everytime invites come around? Lol. I think we should be able to send requests to amd to get this corrected. May be the new marketing head will listen. Since she came from nvidia.

I'm sure he has friends working at AMD, too. Maybe just not in the PR department ;-)

Friends or enemies it should not matter [H] should be looked at seriously not for Kyle's sake but for us. If we didn't think this site was worth our time we would not be here and in a way AMD is telling us that we don't matter which is unbelievably fucking stupid ....

I guess it's just not the "right audience", or whatever BS they said when the Nano was launched.

Seriously, their pick-and-choose journalism tactics reek of desperation. If you can't battle it out in an open arena, you've already lost the fight. I'm hoping that's not the case for the sake of competition, but it's becoming harder and harder to take AMD seriously when they do this stuff.

To me, it's a little hard to accuse Kyle of bias, considering before the GTX 980 he was running a Crossfire R9 290X and wrote an extensive article detailing counterpoints to Nvidia/Nvidia fanboy claims.

Friends or enemies it should not matter [H] should be looked at seriously not for Kyle's sake but for us. If we didn't think this site was worth our time we would not be here and in a way AMD is telling us that we don't matter which is unbelievably fucking stupid ....

Hate to tell AMD this, but I'll be damned if I buy a video card that Brent_Justice hasn't tested. Even if I don't agree with the conclusion; I can read what he thought, analyze the data collected, and make my decision. I don't really consider power draw unless it hampers my ability to overclock so sometimes I may rate a product slightly differently. All those websites that throw up pie charts are boring. Real world testing is where it is at for me. I have yet to run across a review where Brent_Justice wasn't spot on for the proper settings to make the game a memorable experience. That says a lot to how well respected his work is to the [H]ardocp readership.

For me this is a hobby and reading what the most knowledgeable hobbyists think is what make me take my wallet out. No PowerPoint presentation in a Youtube video ever made purchase a video card. Zero. Nada. Zilch. Do I watch those guys? Sure, after I have the skinny from Brent_Justice first.

That's the truth as me and my wallet see it. That's what I vote with.

Lastly, what's the point in a GPUOpen if you censor the press? What kind of dichotomy is that? Seriously Lisa Su? Really?

People should tactfully tell them on Twitter how they feel about this censorship. These are real people with real feelings so don't be jerks.

AMD UK (@AMD_UK) | Twitter
Scott Wasson (@scottwasson) | Twitter
David Bennett (@DavidBennett__) | Twitter
Peter Ross (@nCharms) | Twitter
Chris Hook (@GChip) | Twitter
Jay Marsden (@JayMarsden1) | Twitter
Robert Hallock (@Thracks) | Twitter
AMD (@AMD) | Twitter
AMD FX (@AMDFX) | Twitter
AMDGaming (@AMDGaming) | Twitter
AMD Radeon Graphics (@AMDRadeon) | Twitter
AMD Care (@AMDCare) | Twitter
Terry Makedon (@CatalystMaker) | Twitter
Raja Koduri (@GFXChipTweeter) | Twitter
Roy Taylor (@Roy_techhwood) | Twitter
John Taylor (@JTRex) | Twitter
Gerald Youngblood (@GCYoungblood) | Twitter
Nick Thibieroz (@NThibieroz) | Twitter
Erin Maiorino (@RedHairSheDevil) | Twitter
Markus Lindner (@nvictvs) | Twitter
Nelly Frias (@NellyFXpert) | Twitter
Ritche C from AMD (@Xerious) | Twitter
Matt (@TheMattB81) | Twitter
AMD APU (@AMDAPU) | Twitter
AMDServer (@AMDServer) | Twitter
AMD FirePro (@AMDFirePro) | Twitter
AMDHSA (@AMDHSA) | Twitter

I guess it's just not the "right audience", or whatever BS they said when the Nano was launched.

And yet we ended up providing the best, and most thorough, Nano reviews on the Internet.

Introduction - Radeon R9 Nano Small Form Factor Video Card Review

Radeon R9 Nano Small Form Factor - Radeon R9 Nano Small Form Factor Competition Review

Their loss. The opportunity was there for AMD to impress the consumer, instead it took a different approach.

In the end, it is on AMD's shoulders to convince the consumer into buying its product. When you cut-off well respected, long time reviewers of your product that the consumer base has an interest in, you only hurt yourself. This, in combination with recent events, teaches consumers something about AMD, and it isn't a positive lesson.

This is ridiculous. It's petty. It's shameful. Shame, shame, shame, AMD. Shame on you.

AMD management should get tossed or else their company deserves to die, which is exactly what current management seems intent on.

AMD's continued pettiness is only going to hurt them - certainly speaks volumes on AMD's maturity when it comes to its attempts to manipulate reviews.

prices are rising already to insane levels i think.

what i am more curious about this is.. why the heck is AMD wasting money on this event at all? It seems kinda pointless...

Wow, way to get your panties in a bunch, AMD. I used to be a viola major in college and every week we would play our piece in front of the whole studio. Then afterward we would critique each other. We would always say the things we liked and give stern, but honest criticism to the things we didn't like. Honest criticism, something that [H] has always been good at dishing out, is a good thing. Why AMD seems to want to be an ostrich and bury its proverbial head in the sand just baffles my mind. Instead of listening to genuine criticism, they want to silence it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Acknowledging the criticism, and owning it, is what AMD really needs to do. Own the fact that you are second fiddle to your competitors. Listen to your critics and learn from them.

what i am more curious about this is.. why the heck is AMD wasting money on this event at all? It seems kinda pointless...

I suspect that they are using this to wow the Chinese and sell their tech to them. There are other regions that they want to sell to like India, Vietnam, etc. There are lots of people over there that can afford a PC now. Especially an APU based system.

I'm sure Scott W. from the douchy, trimmed beard world of TechReport will make it all better.......

1. "...[H] readership is very much focused on the top end..."

2. "...Honestly, there is likely not much to miss here, as we do not think AMD has any answer for GTX 1080.."

AMD has stated the Polaris products are aimed at the ~$300 (and under) price range, I.E. NOT the top-end.

[H] does not believe AMD has an answer to the 1080, citing RUMOr/SCUTTLEBUTT, rather than actual hands-on experience. The bias/pre-judgement in this statement is not even thinly veiled.

Given the above, it's only logical not to include [H] in the Macau invitee list. As a result, the collective "butt-hurt" from the [H] crew and posters is at best misplaced, IMO.

AMD management should get tossed or else their company deserves to die, which is exactly what current management seems intent on.
Maybe Apple will buy them. AMD's market capitilization is $3.3 billion. Apple has $216 billion stashed offshore for tax purposes.

(NVida's market capitilization is $25 billion. Intel's is $155 billion.)

Back