AMD Polaris GCN 4.0 Macau China Event

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
So lots of tech press folks are flying out today for Macau China where AMD will be showing off its Polaris 10 and 11 architecture over the next few days. Just FYI, HardOCP was NOT INVITED to this event. When I reached out to confirm with AMD that we were not invited, and our invitation had not just gotten lost in the mail, AMD PR refused to answer the question.

Honestly, there is likely not much to miss here, as we do not think AMD has any answer for GTX 1080, but the middle of the product stack will surely get revamped if GlobalFoundries and crank out the 14nm parts.

You can check out our GlobalFoundries Tour from 2011 as it has some pretty nifty insight.

We were even there to watch them building the fab 5 years ago.

So all in all, I am not sure HardOCP will be on the cusp for AMD next paper launch, but we were hoping so. All in all, things will work out and I think we might have some big AMD news for you in the next couple of days anyway, Macau or not.

Kyle, too bad.

As I am originally from Macau, I could have asked some of my Friends to show you the place.

Then you would have known, why Vegas is the Macau of the US!

You know what, I have always rooted for AMD as the perceived underdog to Nvidia, but if they can't be open and honest about their products, by that I mean vetoing HardOcp because they didn't like some honest journalism in the past, well it damages their credibility to my mind !! Maybe the Polaris product will be a die shrink of the 290x !!

I truly wish for AMD to have an answer to the 1080, both for the sake of competition and to reel in these escalating prices a bit.

Kyle I'm honestly not surprised by the lack of invitation for [H]. Sorely disappointed to say the least, in the past when they did things right and brought out a great competitive product you both sung their praises while keeping it real all at the same time. The other side effects of that coin is, when they floundered you also kept it real. It's a shame that a site like [H] is becoming more or less the last man standing in regards to that.

It also leaves me to believe that as you stated there is currently no answer to the 1080 from AMD. Otherwise I bet you would have gotten an invite. It's quite sad really.

I think that it's plain to see why AMD is in such money trouble. The have total buffoons running what is left of the show... While it lasts.

If AMD cannot compete with nVidia this time, then that means they have all their eggs in the Zen basket... Man that had better be the best CPU on the market when it comes out, because if it's not, then I give AMD 3 years before they declare bankruptcy.

I wonder if TR wasn't invited either.
Considering that the owner of Tech Report now works for AMD, I would highly doubt it if they got shut out this time.

upload_2016-5-25_13-42-7.png

Kyle, is there someone in particular we can contact at AMD to let them know we aren't happy about this treatment? You give me a person over there who may actually read my email and you got 1 extra voice in your corner.

Macau is pretty far away from Texas, were you guys planning to go? It would be a waste to go for announcement/proclaimed not paper launch but really a paper launch.

Kyle, is there someone in particular we can contact at AMD to let them know we aren't happy about this treatment? You give me a person over there who may actually read my email and you got 1 extra voice in your corner.

Yes I too, would also like to do that.

IF I was in AMDs shoes, I would be working harder at winning back sights like [H] to prove that they are still in the race, and have the community in mind, what this tells me now is that they probably have another paper launch of a not-so-stellar product. and don't want someone who will not praise their product.

Kyle, is there someone in particular we can contact at AMD to let them know we aren't happy about this treatment?
Personally I'm fine with AMD not inviting [H]ardOCP. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but this hastily-put-together Macau announcement by AMD seems to me just another "Hey we have great stuff coming someday, please don't buy the new NVidia product yet" piece of PR BS.

I'm not buying AMD's promises. I am going to buy two GTX 1080s (for our identical his and hers gaming rigs) as soon as I can manage it.

So for me, Kyle and Co. going to Macau would just be a waste of their time. They wouldn't have learned anything there that I'd give a damn about.

I'll just vote with my wallet. At first I was surprised that they tried to bribe Kyle with a trip, but, actually that's right in line with everything else they were up to. Denying cards to the press if they speak their mind is just as bad.

Nevermind [H] ended up giving the Nano a gold anyways...

I met Kyle way back when in 2007 when AMD did an event in San Francisco and then again in 2009 on board the USS Hornet. I walked out of that show with a Sapphire 5870 in hand...a lot of fun. I wonder what happened between AMD and [H].

Not really surprised. I am sure that they are concerned that brutally honest reporting (which I personally appreciate) could possibly spoil some of their potential sales or take the thunder out of a new product announcement. Of course, if they were just honest themselves, they would have nothing to worry about. AMD has a huge problem managing expectations. All they would have to say is "Polaris is a fantastic step forward in our GPU design portfolio and will please our fans" instead of "Polaris will be 4K master of the werld! BEST CARD EVAR WOOOOOT!!!!"

So for me, Kyle and Co. going to Macau would just be a waste of their time. They wouldn't have learned anything there that I'd give a damn about.
That is selfish as hell, but you gave me a good laugh. :D

Sorry, but looking at your news post I can clearly see why AMD would not want to invite you. You're clearly frustrated which shouldn't be the case. It's their event and they can introduce whoever they want. Writing a very negative post just because you didn't get a free trip is a bad move.

I visit here frequently because you have got interesting ways of testing gpus, but with a post like "Honestly, there is likely not much to miss here, as we do not think AMD has any answer for GTX 1080" you just shoot yourself in the foot.
From gossip it's pretty obvious AMD goes with their current release for the mass market and not a halo product that will be sold in low numbers. From what we can see atm it's Nvidia's paper lunch and not AMD's ( at least yet ). If you believe everyone will pay north of $500 for a GPU and getting to the top of GPU chart is the only important thing then why do you bother with testing those lower end gpus... ?

Sorry, but looking at your news post I can clearly see why AMD would not want to invite you. You're clearly frustrated which shouldn't be the case. It's their event and they can introduce whoever they want. Writing a very negative post just because you didn't get a free trip is a bad move.

I visit here frequently because you have got interesting ways of testing gpus, but with a post like "Honestly, there is likely not much to miss here, as we do not think AMD has any answer for GTX 1080" you just shoot yourself in the foot.
From gossip it's pretty obvious AMD goes with their current release for the mass market and not a halo product that will be sold in low numbers. From what we can see atm it's Nvidia's paper lunch and not AMD's ( at least yet ). If you believe everyone will pay north of $500 for a GPU and getting to the top of GPU chart is the only important thing then why do you bother with testing those lower end gpus... ?
I agree at this point it is a conflict of interest. AMD was wrong to deny Nano samples to reviewers. Roy Taylor was wrong to outright attack HOCP for no reason.

The editorial that followed from HOCP just made things worse, even though AMD and Roy did eventually apologize, it's clear based on how things have panned out that AMD GPUs may not receive fair treatment on this site, from AMD's perspective. If I were a tech marketer for AMD, I would have reservations about providing samples to HOCP as well.

Hopefully AMD isn't using this as an excuse to avoid critical reviews of their products. There was nothing wrong with the original Fury X review that spurred all of this.

Sorry, but looking at your news post I can clearly see why AMD would not want to invite you.
You need to read a lot more than that to really understand. As a long time reader of [H]ardOCP, I view AMD's dis of the [H] as an endorsement of the site.

I've been bouncing between the red and green teams since the days of the Mach64 and the RIVA 128. Lately, though, there has not been much red in my builds. That may be because my wife lets me spend whatever I want on our rigs, and AMD's burning ambition to be second-best doesn't produce the best products.

How is that post negative or frustrated? It is just a simple post about the truth. I know there are a lot of HardOCP readers that will be counting on us for coverage, and as of today I do not know if I can serve that up. I did not get invited so I am not embargoed on talking about it. Just a news post, nothing more, nothing less. I would not read so much into it. :)

I am sorry, but that is the way I feel based on what I have been told from industry insiders, and [H] readership is very much focused on the top end.

If you believe everyone will pay north of $500 for a GPU and getting to the top of GPU chart is the only important thing then why do you bother with testing those lower end gpus... ?
Wow, I think you are putting words in my mouth and honestly do not understand how a site like HardOCP functions.

Roy Taylor was wrong to outright attack HOCP for no reason.
For the record, Roy Taylor never mentioned HardOCP in anything he said.

Hopefully AMD isn't using this as an excuse to avoid critical reviews of their products.
Hopefully not.

AMD GPUs may not receive fair treatment on this site, from AMD's perspective.
LOL! Guess all those awards for GPUs built by AMD are "unfair" eh? One silver this week!

Is it a wrong statement when AMD's own road maps have shown no indication that they will have a Pascal competitor until Vega? And AMD is mentioning little other than mid range products?

Last edited:
Allow me to put things in perspective. AMD is 2nd fiddle to nVidia .... AMD is in the backseat when it comes to Intel CPU's.

This is very unlikely to change going forward. One, they have a fraction of the R&D budget and engineers that the other companies have.

Why would any of you or just anyone in general be excited about a 2nd place company delivering 2nd place performance?

Budge rig? Ok, I get that and yes, AMD with their 2nd place performance and lower cost would be a perfect fit for you.

The bigger picture is this, for most of us, we love building our PC's from the ground up. Why not put the best of the best in your rig and have a world class experience?

Look, AMD is falling further and further behind. So, tell me again, why is AMD important to you?

Back