AMD Polaris 10 Has 390/390X Performance

Wow, a GPU will have a range of different products! Who fucking knew such a thing was possible?!?

Shit like this is one of the reasons people make fun of AMD and PowerPoint slides. They try to build hype with FUD and bullshit non-information. But don't worry everyone, something good is coming!

Nvidia didn't pull this shit with Pascal. They launched the Pro hardware, didn't wait terribly long, then they announced the 1080 and gave out cards to reviewers.

Wow, a GPU will have a range of different products! Who fucking knew such a thing was possible?!?

Shit like this is one of the reasons people make fun of AMD and PowerPoint slides. They try to build hype with FUD and bullshit non-information.

why are you so pissed of at amd? They didn't even talk about the product. They answered Q&A without going in to detail that they werent allowed to do. You are mad at them answering questions? LOL people get mad for no reason.

why are you so pissed of at amd? They didn't even talk about the product. They answered Q&A without going in to detail that they werent allowed to do. You are mad at them answering questions? LOL people get mad for no reason.

They are doing the same thing, its an announcement for another announcement at the end of this month, hopefully there isn't much of a time delay after the next announcement (computex) for actually availability and reviews.

But if the webinar was just for AIB board partners they should have just kept it that way instead of letting anyone listen to it and participate in the Q&A, just makes for unanswered questions, which AMD doesn't want to answer just yet to the general public, it creates more WTF is going on remarks when they are kinda of side stepped.

exactly, AMD wanted to give an impression they are getting ready for something, without saying anything. If I was a board partner and this is what I got from AMD and was expecting a launch in less than a month, I would be extremely worried, the most important question is when will I have these cards in hand so I can validate and get my products ready for sale. That was not answered. Instead it just went up to general public questions that AMD wasn't going to answer and they even stated they weren't going to answer before hand.

lol man people stress too much here. It was an internal event, some damn managers. We all know real event is at the end of the month. we will see. Let's not find another thing to get mad about.

I just see no purpose of this pseudo announcement it like AMD was trying to be transparent but they weren't lol.

exactly, AMD wanted to give an impression they are getting ready for something, without saying anything. If I was a board partner and this is what I got from AMD and was expecting a launch in less than a month, I would be extremely worried, the most important question is when will I have these cards in hand so I can validate and get my products ready for sale. That was not answered. Instead it just went up to general public questions that AMD wasn't going to answer and they even stated they weren't going to answer before hand.
speculations and a waste of time. Why do we always find something to talk about? This is nothing, this event was nothing. No one wrote about and someone decided to create a click bait article like they got all the details. I blame the journalist of making something out of nothing. That was no news to report, hey lets write an article about nothing and piss people off. lets move on, we are just grasping at straws right now. we don't know what the event was about we weren't there. Rest is just speculation.

actually I knew there was going to be no details, normally I would take time out of my day to listen to conference calls or webinars like this but I knew there wasn't any info coming out of it that was pertinent to me, so just skipped it lol.

It's going to be as tight lipped as the Fury...AMD is going to try to crank as much as they can out of it up to the launch date...and if it's true they just got engineering qualification samples back, I would say they are still tweeking it pushing it to it's limits for the launch.

.and if it's true they just got engineering qualification samples back, ts for the launch.

Right. AMD demonstrated Polaris behind closed doors over 5 MONTHS AGO at CES, yet they "only just got engineering qualification samples" back? Do you clowns even THINK about this nonsensical clap-trap before you spew it?

There's a difference between "rumors" and illogical, outright bullshit and your "info" is not a rumor, it's risible rubbish.

Right. AMD demonstrated Polaris behind closed doors over 5 MONTHS ago at CES, yet they "only just got engineering qualification samples" back? Do you clowns even THINK about this nonsensical clap-trap before you spew it?

There's a difference between "rumors" and illogical, outright bullshit and your "info" is not a rumor, it's risible rubbish.

so+you're+telling+me+there's+a+chance.jpg

It's going to be as tight lipped as the Fury...AMD is going to try to crank as much as they can out of it up to the launch date...and if it's true they just got engineering qualification samples back, I would say they are still tweeking it pushing it to it's limits for the launch.

NO NO NO lol, ES samples are pretty much ready to go lol. Yes I have gotten ES samples for the 6800 series from nV, and ATI for the 9700 pro, guess what they are fully functional, ATI's 9700 had the full clocks, nV's 6800 ultra ES sample had GT clocks. And the silicon was the released silicon. I think I still have them, I will look tomorrow but I have taken them apart....

Agreed with Razor here. The chips design (and very likely bios) is done and dusted at this point.

It's all about deciding when to release/leak info and driver optimization now for AMD.

no I mean final engineering samples of the last steppings. Just because they demo'd behind close doors, doesn't mean they were final steppings.

Shit like this is one of the reasons people make fun of AMD and PowerPoint slides. They try to build hype with FUD and bullshit non-information. But don't worry everyone, something good is coming!
Nvidia didn't pull this shit with Pascal. They launched the Pro hardware, didn't wait terribly long, then they announced the 1080 and gave out cards to reviewers.

Yeah somehow you missed the boat by saying that Nvidia launched hardware because they did not launch anything but reviews. And Pascal was supposed to come with HBM2 that is what Nvidia promised so Nvidia is not exactly a good example in this matter.

I'm kinda upset with most of you folks. You all know that AMD marketing is not good and there is plenty proof of it . Don't give up on AMD because they suck badly at the PR game.

AMD lacks the vision that most of the customers that are knowledgeable can handle certain information before the product is shipped, you saw their knee jerk reaction when it came to the Radeon Pro Duo another thing that is showing that AMD can not deal with certain media in the way they want to control the information or the whole cycle of the story.

What you are witnessing is somewhat of a PR disaster , I'm sure that there are people in AMD that are also thinking why and how are we screwing over this so badly and until those people are getting the [insert light bulb emoji] we have to be a little bit more patient with them (if that is possible for some of you guys).

no I mean final engineering samples of the last steppings. Just because they demo'd behind close doors, doesn't mean they were final steppings.

Once they get to the point of manufacturing the silicon (manufacturing is very expensive so they try to make sure they get as much done before getting to this stage and trying to fix things on the fly; if you looked back at not last quarter but the quarter before I think, 20nm AMD took a 20 million dollar write off on the 20nm node which no chips were even made on that node that we were aware of, so they might have tried to make something and it failed, that gives us an idea of how much it costs to go into any type of manufacturing, not even mass production), they are pretty confident that it will work the way its intended to. They might have to respin with mask changes, but minor things are done afterwards, usually. The only chip I can think of in recent years that had issues was the r600 where they had to respin it 3 times after going for X at A (X nomenclature, is Experimental (these are not ES's), ES's are A as is with consumer release products), and that was not AMD's fault there was a problem in a 3rd party library.

I think what you are taking about are the X samples which that might be a possibility, but again, they should be functional and work well. At the point of showing something off to the publich and having the perf/watt figures and measurements of what the cards wattage was, I think they were pretty much good. Unless there was a deeper problem they were not aware of yet or they have planned a release much later as they weren't expecting the 10xx launch. The only thing AMD has stated worth while as launch is Summer of 2016. So that might have been their original plan as it would coincide with getting in to back to school sales.

Last edited:
The napkin math and reaching assumptions in this thread are incredible. People on [H] know more about Polaris performance than AMD at this point. Keep up the good work :D
I like my napkin math :). Just holding AMD accountable is all to see if it pans out. Except AMD was not specific on what that perf/w gain will be in. So in essence virtually worthless. Just a waiting game now.

The AMD event looks to be just foreplay, I guess AMD is into Fan Foreplay :smug:

A lot of us have watched this same game play out for over 20 years. I can say there are some near universal constants with regards to price/performance and positioning vis a vis the competition: it's somewhat algebraic. If we know the pricing and the general specs (and more, the price and general specs of the competing card), you can get pretty accurate on what to expect.

Back