AMD Plans Major CPU Price Drops Day After Conroe

I think they should do it here pretty soon before Conroe ever releases. That would be their best chance at selling a lot of AM2 chips. If they wait till Conroe releases and Conroe comes out strong nobody is going to care if the AM2 chips dropped in price when they're being smoked by an Intel processor that likely wont cost a lot more.

Yeah. Now I'm wondering which is better? A similarly priced Conroe or AM2?

Seeing as how am2 offers hardly nothing in terms of performance over current chips, im not even sure why youd ask that question. Obviously, from all the initial stuff so far, conroe is looking to be the performance leader by far. Im not sure why people would go AM2 anyways. Whats wrong with socket 939. If they drop prices massively, might as well pick up a cheap fast overclocking 939 chip.

Retsam said:
Seeing as how am2 offers hardly nothing in terms of performance over current chips, im not even sure why youd ask that question. Obviously, from all the initial stuff so far, conroe is looking to be the performance leader by far. Im not sure why people would go AM2 anyways. Whats wrong with socket 939. If they drop prices massively, might as well pick up a cheap fast overclocking 939 chip.

Well I meant after the price drop for AM2 X2s. Unless you already meant that. Disregard this then.

If they drop the price of the x2 3800 by alot I'm getting it for my 939 mobo. AM2 isn't worth the upgrade.

If you are going to upgrade, there is no reason not to go Conroe if it is priced reasonably, unless you are illogically brand loyal. I am normally an AMD guy, but generally because I like the underdog and the tech was good. Conroe is schooling AMD and promises to be cheap. For now, I'll go where the speed and the price are, which classically have been AMD. Apparently not for the forseeable future.

Again, the consumer benefits from competition. Welcome to free market economics 101.

i for one question how long AM2 will be around. I kinda think it will be more of a transitionary socket. If they stick with AM2 AMD is gonna get its buns smoked too badly by Intel and i dont think that is something that they can afford. I dont have anything to back this up, its just an opinion that i think AM2 will be shortlived. I give it til the end of the year, but when 2007 comes AM2 will get cut off i think. I think my 2.9Ghz 170 will last me til then :)

Budwise said:
If they stick with AM2 AMD is gonna get its buns smoked too badly by Intel
explain your reasoning...

to me, it's not the socket that counts, but the architecture. amd needs to move to 65nm and get K8L out the door asap. socket doesn't really have much to do with it, and moving to a new one won't really provide all that much, since amd uses the HT link and an on-die memory controller.. ;)

Everybody forgets that AM2 is a socket. The underlying archetecture is the same. However there are 940 pins this time for the dual AM2 processors (two dual core).

I'm still holding out on Conroe. It might be a killer CPU, but it depends on what I do that will determine direction. It may be OK in flightsims.

The reason that AMD switched to AM2 is to support DDR2. The chips are exactly the same as 939 except for the pin count. I think AM2 will be around for at least 2 years. I don't see any major changes anytime soon that would require a socket change. I think the next time we'll see a major change will be when AMD decides to support DDR3. I don't think dual processors (dual dual cores?)/coprocesors will become mainstream anytime soon and I think 4x4 will be a huge flop so AM2 has a future IMO. :D

just nabbed this from another forum.

Several sources including Anandtech and digitimes are reporting that AMD will reduce its processor pricing to counter the launch of Conroe chips.

From their information, it's like this:

A64 single core (4 models) reduced 20%-30%

A64 X2 dual core reduced 25%-50%

Sempron drops a little reduced by 15%

This will make them more competitive in the market.

Personally I hope the FX62 may be the chip with 50% off!

This is leaked rather than announced because as AMD said if the price drop plan were known it would cannibalise/eat into sales between now and then.

This is probably a true statement, in that if you are thinking of buying AMD in the next month or two, it's worth WAITING to take advantage of the reductions.

**LINKHERE**

hopefully a X2 will become under £100, and maybe much cheaper FX's

If that happens i will be the proud owner of a X2 3800.

I mean really, If you do not live for benchmarks what difference does it make to have a 5000+ over a 3700+?

Before the jump to 1000mhz when I was using a Pent 200, speed mattered but now anything over a 3000+ is fine.

Video cards now need 700 and 1000watt PS and Thermaltake is coming out with a 1200 ver.
Who is gonna pay the power bill when you add in H2O, a X2 64, TEC, Phase cool and a couple of monitors not to mention the speakers...

WHERE WILL IT ALL END???? :D

maverick777 said:
The reason that AMD switched to AM2 is to support DDR2. The chips are exactly the same as 939 except for the pin count. I think AM2 will be around for at least 2 years. I don't see any major changes anytime soon that would require a socket change. I think the next time we'll see a major change will be when AMD decides to support DDR3. I don't think dual processors (dual dual cores?)/coprocesors will become mainstream anytime soon and I think 4x4 will be a huge flop so AM2 has a future IMO. :D

Actually the chips are not the same. The memory controller had to be reworked for DDR2.

All I have to say is sign me up for a 3800+ X2 to replace my 3200+. If they drop to $150 Thats less than I paid for the 3200+.

mwarps said:
If you are going to upgrade, there is no reason not to go Conroe if it is priced reasonably, unless you are illogically brand loyal. I am normally an AMD guy, but generally because I like the underdog and the tech was good. Conroe is schooling AMD and promises to be cheap. For now, I'll go where the speed and the price are, which classically have been AMD. Apparently not for the forseeable future.

Again, the consumer benefits from competition. Welcome to free market economics 101.

The reason I won't go Conroe is because I don't want to have to buy a new mobo and I won't buy a cheap one either so I will probably end up spending an extra 120 at least or more in addition to the Conroe if I were to upgrade to that. The x2 3800 can last me for a while and I dont need a new mobo.

Also I don't want to upgrade too much until I see what Vista is like adn DX10 cards

The thing that will save AMD a little bit is that Conroe means you have to buy a new motherboard also. So even the budget chips aren't budget once you add in a $100 motherboard.

Well, if you are going to AM2 you do need a new mobo and DDR2 ram so its still not a cheap upgrade. Socket 939, on the other hand, should be quite reasonable very soon. An FX-60 might soon be in reach for a lot more of us :cool:

CrazyJ said:
The reason I won't go Conroe is because I don't want to have to buy a new mobo and I won't buy a cheap one either so I will probably end up spending an extra 120 at least or more in addition to the Conroe if I were to upgrade to that. The x2 3800 can last me for a while and I dont need a new mobo.

Also I don't want to upgrade too much until I see what Vista is like adn DX10 cards

I should have been more specific and mentioned "if you are going to upgrade and buy a new mobo".

mwarps said:
I should have been more specific and mentioned "if you are going to upgrade and buy a new mobo".

Yeah I wasn't planning on buying a new mobo if I were to upgrade a CPU. I don't have a reasont to upgrade but I just would like a x2 3800 if its cheap.

Would it be worthwhile to go from the Single core 3700+ with 1MB cache to one of these dual core that only have 2x512k cache? See a performance hit? Or an increase since its adding another core?

That depends on how you use your system. If you like doing multiple things at once and your current system gets bogged down, then yes, dual core would be a great way to go. And after the price cuts, if you have a s939 mobo and dual core cpu prices drop dramatically, there really isn't any compelling reason not to go to dual core. You can still oc them and now you have the luxury of having the 2 cores at your disposal. I'm sure that some of the dual core owners can speak to this better than I can, but if I had a s939 mobo and a single core cpu I'd be eying prices on dual core cpu's and grabbing an economical one for sure. Of course, there are dual core cpu's with 2x1mb L2 cache and if prices drop far enough you wouldn't have to worry about the 2x512 vs 1x1mb comparison.

Might be dumb question but will these price drops affect opteron dual cores? ie 165 or 170. Thanks beforehand. :)

troisanh said:
Might be dumb question but will these price drops affect opteron dual cores? ie 165 or 170. Thanks beforehand. :)
i hope not :) but most likely ... hopefully it's LATERRR ;)

mwarps said:

Donnie27 falls from chair hitting head on desk, BAMMMM :eek: :p

greyt_Autumn said:
Everybody forgets that AM2 is a socket. The underlying archetecture is the same. However there are 940 pins this time for the dual AM2 processors (two dual core).

I'm still holding out on Conroe. It might be a killer CPU, but it depends on what I do that will determine direction. It may be OK in flightsims.

No its not the same. It has different metal layers, has VT, of course a different memory controller and even some of it trasistors are different. Of these features, VT is the most exciting IMHO!

Now I'm waiting on Conroe but if I were shopping for an AMD rig, I ditch my 3500+/Asus A8N SLI and go for a its Asus AM2 board equal and at least the 4000+ low voltage model AFTER the Intel July 23rd price cuts.

Funny, I remember some AMD F@nz flaming me for trying to get folks to wait for price cuts.

Donnie27 said:
Funny, I remember some AMD F@nz flaming me for trying to get folks to wait for price cuts.
*flames you*

hahaha. just to be a nitpick, isn't conroe coming out on the 23rd? so the day after would be the 24th? i really hope amd takes action a few days before... and that the 2x1mb cores get a nice drop

to whoever mentioned opterons.. i'm actually holding my breath to see when they turn up on AM2.. it might not be til after revG hits though :(

(cf)Eclipse said:
*flames you*

hahaha. just to be a nitpick, isn't conroe coming out on the 23rd? so the day after would be the 24th? i really hope amd takes action a few days before... and that the 2x1mb cores get a nice drop

to whoever mentioned opterons.. i'm actually holding my breath to see when they turn up on AM2.. it might not be til after revG hits though :(

No, you're supposed to hope for prices to stay high and that AMD makes a lot more money, LOL ;) All kidding aside, there's a 4 week window that goes from the second week of July until the first week of August that Conroe goes on sale. That's not shipping, not pre-order but in stock and ready for sale.

I always heard New Opterons were only going to Socket F or that 1207 pin monster and older 940's. I too hope they build some of these on 939.

(cf)Eclipse said:
*flames you*

Well from the released pricing data on Dailytech, they only seem to be reducing prices on the 512KB or 2x512KB models and leaving the 1Mb or 2x1MB models as they are.

OT. Can someone explain to me how that retailer can post . Someone asked in the case section of the Forum were they could get a Custom painted case . I replied because we do this. The mod quickly deleted my post . With these words. NOT IN THESE FORUMS YOU DON"T.

Whats up with that seems a little unfair. In the water cooling section A guy is selling resevoirs.

I didn't mind but one thing I am a stickler for is all people being treated equally.

Back