AMD Pin Repair (3600x)

CruisD64

2[H]4U
Hey folks. I have a 3600x that has several busted, bent, you name it pins and I was wondering if there is a service or any "jeweler" handed solderer that could repair it. I had a few pops when I tried to install this CPU and let me tell you that was a baaaaaaad idea. Anyway, It's been sitting on my desk for 2 years now untouched and I figured I'd ask. Might be cost prohibitive but figured what the heck and why not ask :)

I would be interested in getting the same repair on my Intel 3930.

I suspect I could do it, but I'd need a donor CPU to harvest good pins from. How many bent ones are we talking about? Are any of them totally broken off?

I'm not aware of any service that does this commercially, though.

I suspect I could do it, but I'd need a donor CPU to harvest good pins from. How many bent ones are we talking about? Are any of them totally broken off?

Nothing actually broken off. but when I last installed the CPU in the socket, the system would not boot. To my aging eyes, all the socket pings look fine. Actually I misspoke. It's the ASUS P79 (i forget the exact model) that needs the pin re-alignment.

I have fixed a few amd cpus with bent pins. You will need a steady hand, a magnifying glass and tweezers with fine tips. If the pins have broken off that is something else entirely. Intel boards are much harder to fix then AMD cpus. Intel pins are not straight. They are L shaped and often end up twisted. But as stated above, pictures would help a lot in both cases.

Last edited:
With a good magnifying glass (hands-free preferred), a razor blade, and a steady hand, you can fix most/all bent PINS on a CPU. I recently did this on an Ryzen 5 CPU. There are some videos online that show some techniques. Be patient and do small moves.

However, if it was installed with pins bent or broken and powered-up, then it might be dead already...

I doubt having some one replace broken off pins would not be cost effective. Linus made a video about it and has successfully resoldered pins back on.

Yeah, I have several that are broken. Not just bent. I've successfully managed to solder a few back on but I don't have a steady enough hand to do the rest.

Yeah, I have several that are broken. Not just bent. I've successfully managed to solder a few back on but I don't have a steady enough hand to do the rest.

If you get to the point where you give up, find out what the pins are for - there are a bunch of them for grounds, some of which are redundant. If you have few enough of those missing, you would still be able to use the cpu.

Many years ago I found someone on some dark corner of the internet who suggested using a strand of copper from a CAT5 cable and placing it in the socket where the pin would have went, then installing the CPU. I actually tried this for a friend who was desperate, and it actually worked. The first time I cut it too short, second time too long, third just right. Did this for 2 or 3 pins and the CPU is still running today. This was right before Ryzen 1st gen came out.

Many years ago I found someone on some dark corner of the internet who suggested using a strand of copper from a CAT5 cable and placing it in the socket where the pin would have went, then installing the CPU. I actually tried this for a friend who was desperate, and it actually worked. The first time I cut it too short, second time too long, third just right. Did this for 2 or 3 pins and the CPU is still running today. This was right before Ryzen 1st gen came out.
I've done this once as a quick fix for a bud too, eventually I went back and used some conductive glue to put the guy's mind at ease and it worked great. I normally wouldn't recommend it over soldering, but in situations where you can't get an iron in there without the risk of more damage it normally does do the trick.

Hey folks. I have a 3600x that has several busted, bent, you name it pins and I was wondering if there is a service or any "jeweler" handed solderer that could repair it. I had a few pops when I tried to install this CPU and let me tell you that was a baaaaaaad idea. Anyway, It's been sitting on my desk for 2 years now untouched and I figured I'd ask. Might be cost prohibitive but figured what the heck and why not ask :)

I would be interested in getting the same repair on my Intel 3930.

Nothing actually broken off. but when I last installed the CPU in the socket, the system would not boot. To my aging eyes, all the socket pings look fine. Actually I misspoke. It's the ASUS P79 (i forget the exact model) that needs the pin re-
alignment.

%2F%2Fobjectclub.jp%2Fdownload%2Fimage%2Ftj-logo13.gif

Back