AMD Phenom II x6 1090T/1055T reviews..

It is scary what age does to you. I don't even drive more than 5mph over the speed limit anymore...........

The old rebel side of me is almost gone, and i'm becoming more and more socially conservative every day. I was always politically conservative, but socially liberal........

Hell, I traded in my 520+hp Chevy for a hybrid late last year...........

ok that last part was the end of it.. your a boring old fart now.. man if i lived near you id come over there and slap you for trading for that hybrid.. just like i slapped my parents for trading in their 97 suburban for 700 dollars for a hybrid because they only used the suburban maybe twice a year.. go figure 2 weeks later they needed the suburban to haul some stuff.. then on top of that 3 months after that my dad trades in his pontiac solstice for a 2009 F-150 lariat.. so they gained 700 dollars getting rid of the suburban but spent 29k dollars for a brand new F-150 that gets worst gas mileage then the suburban did.. go figure..

1002_thaaannks.jpg

ok that last part was the end of it.. your a boring old fart now.. man if i lived near you id come over there and slap you for trading for that hybrid.. just like i slapped my parents for trading in their 97 suburban for 700 dollars for a hybrid because they only used the suburban maybe twice a year.. go figure 2 weeks later they needed the suburban to haul some stuff.. then on top of that 3 months after that my dad trades in his pontiac solstice for a 2009 F-150 lariat.. so they gained 700 dollars getting rid of the suburban but spent 29k dollars for a brand new F-150 that gets worst gas mileage then the suburban did.. go figure..

You guys want to know what is the worst part about this hybrid nonsense? You as American taxpayers subsidize the purchase of every frickin hybrid sold! That is the reason why I was able to get my folding rig as the $1700 that Uncle Mao paid me for buying a hybrid gave me a generous one time only income tax return this year. This isn't a $1700 deduction, as it is an actual tax credit that works like cash. If you get a return back from the feds, this gets returned to you like cash from what my tax guy told me.

Cheers guys! You guys are having your hard earned tax money spent so usually some rich guy(average income of a hybrid buyer is like $103k a year) who doesn't need the money can go make himself feel good about himself. Wait till the Chevy Volt comes out, as I hear that you will get back $7700 or so for buying a plug in electric hybrid like the Volt, Nissan Leaf, and that electric super car should net you nearly $12000 for it. Worst yet, these plug ins will actually make tax evasion a legal thing as many of these people will get to drive on the roads that our tax dollars maintain, but won't be paying any taxes that go to the highway trust because they can be plugged in.

Me, i'm guy of humble means who is quickly becoming a very boring risk adverse person. My Chevy as nickling and diming the crap out of me, and I got a hybrid in a weak moment. I don't mind the money i'm saving in fuel though. Maybe I should consider a career change to an accountant?

But to get back on subject, yes TJ you should definately see what that 1055T of yours can do! I can't wait to see what it will do while running the GPU clients at the same time. A 1055T running SMP with two Fermis could be one potent little folding machine if you can deal with the heat and noise.

You guys want to know what is the worst part about this hybrid nonsense? You as American taxpayers subsidize the purchase of every frickin hybrid sold! That is the reason why I was able to get my folding rig as the $1700 that Uncle Mao paid me for buying a hybrid gave me a generous one time only income tax return this year. This isn't a $1700 deduction, as it is an actual tax credit that works like cash. If you get a return back from the feds, this gets returned to you like cash from what my tax guy told me.

Cheers guys! You guys are having your hard earned tax money spent so usually some rich guy(average income of a hybrid buyer is like $103k a year) who doesn't need the money can go make himself feel good about himself. Wait till the Chevy Volt comes out, as I hear that you will get back $7700 or so for buying a plug in electric hybrid like the Volt, Nissan Leaf, and that electric super car should net you nearly $12000 for it. Worst yet, these plug ins will actually make tax evasion a legal thing as many of these people will get to drive on the roads that our tax dollars maintain, but won't be paying any taxes that go to the highway trust because they can be plugged in.

Me, i'm guy of humble means who is quickly becoming a very boring risk adverse person. My Chevy as nickling and diming the crap out of me, and I got a hybrid in a weak moment. I don't mind the money i'm saving in fuel though. Maybe I should consider a career change to an accountant?

But to get back on subject, yes TJ you should definately see what that 1055T of yours can do! I can't wait to see what it will do while running the GPU clients at the same time. A 1055T running SMP with two Fermis could be one potent little folding machine if you can deal with the heat and noise.

lol yeah i completely understand that.. that was my parents reasoning for it as well.. but to get rid of a car that cost them 58 dollars a month to register and 50 dollars a month on insurance because it was never driven for a measly 700 dollars.. only to end up buying a truck that costs them 300+ dollars to register plus 200 a month in insurance (woot for living in california.. not) made absolutely no sense.. better common sense would of been just to keep the other vehicle incase you actually needed it then to trade it in for less then the actual value of the vehicle could of been sold at privately..

well hopefully ill have my smp A3 client working tonight just so i can see the difference between the 1090T at 3.7ghz and the x4 940 at 3.7 ghz PPD wise.. i need something to force me to go out and buy a 1090T now instead of a couple months like im planning too..

lol yeah i completely understand that.. that was my parents reasoning for it as well.. but to get rid of a car that cost them 58 dollars a month to register and 50 dollars a month on insurance because it was never driven for a measly 700 dollars.. only to end up buying a truck that costs them 300+ dollars to register plus 200 a month in insurance (woot for living in california.. not) made absolutely no sense.. better common sense would of been just to keep the other vehicle incase you actually needed it then to trade it in for less then the actual value of the vehicle could of been sold at privately..

well hopefully ill have my smp A3 client working tonight just so i can see the difference between the 1090T at 3.7ghz and the x4 940 at 3.7 ghz PPD wise.. i need something to force me to go out and buy a 1090T now instead of a couple months like im planning too..

It was actually pretty amazing how much I was able to get for my Chevy. I was able to get way more than blue book value($8k more) because I was able to sell it privately to someone who wanted a heavily modified vehicle. That thing was incredible as I had some high lift aggressive cams on it(the lope sounded wicked), heavy duty racing transmission, heads CNC machined and milled to bump up the compression ratio, full Kooks headers, straight pipe catback exhaust, custom tuning, and much more that I can't remember. It was incredible at WOT performance, and the cam just sounded amazing. I put in about $7k in work over the years, and got $8k over kbb if it was stock.

Damn dude, you are making me feel all nostalgic as i'm starting to miss my old baby already. You can't substitute anything for a good American v8 that has been given some lovin(mods). However, I don't miss the fuel economy of that vehicle as it got about 8mpg on premium 93 octane fuel(required), and my Ford Fusion Hybrid is getting me between 41 to 44mpg on regular. That was at a time when I used to drive 140miles per day.

Sorry for making so much GenMay Evil, shouldn't of tempted them with a tamale. Seeing A3 number differences at the same clocks on the same board and with the same ram would be interesting.

amdgamer ill talk in words you unserstand. bore x stroke= bus x multiplyer. octane=volts. 2core radiator=stock cooler. 4core radiator= ultra 120. memory speed= rpm. spring capacity= hard drive. 1/4 mile et= ppd. now go do what we know you already know how to do. tune and tweek.

here's some more:

3.7ghz

12,997 ppd

3:35 tpf

p 6012

How are these temps? This is with the stock cooler.

running my phenom II 940 @ 3.6ghz im getting a TPF of 5:49.. damn i need an x6 1090T :( lol

had trouble with temps at 3.7ghz so im going to mess with the voltages again and see if i can get the temps lower now that ive figured out how much vdroop there is on this motherboard.. ive had the voltage a tad bit to high..

amdgamer ill talk in words you unserstand. bore x stroke= bus x multiplyer. octane=volts. 2core radiator=stock cooler. 4core radiator= ultra 120. memory speed= rpm. spring capacity= hard drive. 1/4 mile et= ppd. now go do what we know you already know how to do. tune and tweek.

Hahaha! That is awesome as I never thought about it that way. Now you are completely speaking my old language where I used to literally live life 1/4 mile at a time. The problem is that I had too many close calls and gave up racing on public roads, thankfully before I killed another innocent person.

running my phenom II 940 @ 3.6ghz im getting a TPF of 5:49.. damn i need an x6 1090T :( lol

had trouble with temps at 3.7ghz so im going to mess with the voltages again and see if i can get the temps lower now that ive figured out how much vdroop there is on this motherboard.. ive had the voltage a tad bit to high..

That is actually about what I would expect for a P2 at 3.6ghz. I think my P2 965 at 3.5ghz has a TPF of just a tad over 5 minutes. I have my ram running at maximum speed of 1600mhz@CL9.

I just agreed to buy some WC gear off the FS/FT section. I'm very curious what I can get out of a 1090T under water on my ASUS M4A79T Deluxe. I have rads, WB, and some extra fittings. I just need to get a pump and a CPU and I'm all set. Anybody got an old DDC 3.25 laying around collecting dust? Eventually I'd like to get one of the Swiftech Drive rad/res/pump setups, and you can buy those without the pump so I'd rather get a compatible pump.

The hilarious thing is, every time I see P2 i'm still thinking to myself "Pentium 2"

The hilarious thing is, every time I see P2 i'm still thinking to myself "Pentium 2"

yup i wish people would stop calling it the P2 or PII.. its a phenom II thats it.. nothing else.. you cant shorten the name in any way.. maybe.. just maybe ill let you call it a PH2 because you already used phenom II in the post and your lazy like me and dont feel like typing out the full name again.. but thats it..

Got mine installed tonight when I moved the components out of the eMachines box into my old Element S case. Boy is the stock fan loud!

I only learned that because I forgot to put the backplate of the H50 in place before I installed the motherboard. Now that my lesson is learned I will get the coolers swapped real soon.

here's some more:

3.7ghz

12,997 ppd

3:35 tpf

p 6012

How are these temps? This is with the stock cooler.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1343/74088880.png[/IM G][/QUOTE]

what mobo are you using? I cant' find a temp monitoring program to save my life that will actually read the temps. Every program i've tried reads 32.2°C

Coretemp, real temp, OCCT, Everest, CPIUD HW Monitor, AMD Overdrive, none of them work. I've got a MSI 890GXM-G65 updated with latest 1.6 bios

what mobo are you using? I cant' find a temp monitoring program to save my life that will actually read the temps. Every program i've tried reads 32.2°C

Coretemp, real temp, OCCT, Everest, CPIUD HW Monitor, AMD Overdrive, none of them work. I've got a MSI 890GXM-G65 updated with latest 1.6 bios

weird.. might need to wait for a bios update.. not sure thats quite odd..

I wonder if it is possible that your cpu has a bad temperature sensor? I don't know whether AMD cpu's are actually measured or whether the temperature is calculated based on some stuff.

Got mine installed tonight when I moved the components out of the eMachines box into my old Element S case. Boy is the stock fan loud!

I only learned that because I forgot to put the backplate of the H50 in place before I installed the motherboard. Now that my lesson is learned I will get the coolers swapped real soon.

If that stock HSF is anything like what comes on the P2 955/965 X4's, it gets even louder :)

At least with my fan, it literally is leaf blower loud by the time it maxes out near 7000rpms. Not a bad stock setup though..........

If that stock HSF is anything like what comes on the P2 955/965 X4's, it gets even louder :)

At least with my fan, it literally is leaf blower loud by the time it maxes out near 7000rpms. Not a bad stock setup though..........

Last night we had the windows open in my son's room and the master bedroom as well. I heard that thing through our window...

Last night we had the windows open in my son's room and the master bedroom as well. I heard that thing through our window...
:eek:

MSI also, I have a 785GTM-E45

Before MSI released the proper BIOS, my CPU wasn't detected properly, and clockspeeds were wrong, and the temp sensors didn't work. Once proper CPU support was released to the BIOS though, all is well using hwmonitor. I think AMD OD also reports properly.

You either have a mobo issue or cpu issue, unfortunately. Try to find out if anybody else has your combo of CPU and mobo. You could also open a support ticket with msi.

Stupid fan, it sounds like the ice cream maker I own. Felt like throwing ice and rock salt into the thing.

Ice and rock salt might get you a better OC, but will most likely fail to provide frozen dairy goodness.

Ice and rock salt might get you a better OC, but will most likely fail to provide frozen dairy goodness.
However, throw a little Cuervo and mix in there, you might have something going.

Stupid fan, it sounds like the ice cream maker I own. Felt like throwing ice and rock salt into the thing.

Would a Noctua NDH-14 fit in that Thuban rig? You should fire up speedfan and see how fast the fan is turning. If you disabled the fan speed management in the bios, it might be running at full speed. If it isn't running at full speed, you might be shocked at how much louder it can get.

The good news is that more everyone else who buys a Thuban and doesn't fold 24/7 with it, it actually manages to stay pretty quiet most of the time. From what I see, my stock HSF only starts ramping up in speed after the cpu core temp gets past 55-56 degrees.

how come everyones stock fan is insanely loud yet mine is quieter then my thermaltake big typhoon? ive never seen my stock fan go above 3800rpm's and i had it running on my insanely hot running x2 6400+ which sat at 58C full load 24/7..

how come everyones stock fan is insanely loud yet mine is quieter then my thermaltake big typhoon? ive never seen my stock fan go above 3800rpm's and i had it running on my insanely hot running x2 6400+ which sat at 58C full load 24/7..
automatic fan control is disabled in your BIOS?

turning on Q fan makes the fan speed sensitive to temperature, at least in theory. That's an ASUS feature right? I forget exactly what the options are, but you should be able to have some control over how the fan speed behaves.

turning on Q fan makes the fan speed sensitive to temperature, at least in theory. That's an ASUS feature right? I forget exactly what the options are, but you should be able to have some control over how the fan speed behaves.

yeah its an asus thing.. never used it.. never bothered to use it and well never will use it.. because well its an asus feature..

Would a Noctua NDH-14 fit in that Thuban rig?

With the Element S case it will just barely fit. The height of the cooler is 160mm so it has been advised by Noctua to check on clearance before buying one.

I thought that was a feature on all motherboards? :confused:

My Gigabyte 790XTA board has a bios option that does exactly this. My fan speed is exactly reponsive to cpu temperature. It speeds up at a coretemp of 52 degrees, and really starts to ramp up at 56.

With the Element S case it will just barely fit. The height of the cooler is 160mm so it has been advised by Noctua to check on clearance before buying one.

I'm trying to decide which is bigger, the Coolermaster V10 or the Noctua NDH-14. Planning on a cooling upgrade then? At least you won't be able to hear it anymore through your window!

some sort of automatic fan control is present on almost all mobos. I was just trying to remember if ASUS was in fact the mfgr who calls it "Q Fan"

My Gigabyte 790XTA board has a bios option that does exactly this. My fan speed is exactly reponsive to cpu temperature. It speeds up at a coretemp of 52 degrees, and really starts to ramp up at 56.

I'm trying to decide which is bigger, the Coolermaster V10 or the Noctua NDH-14. Planning on a cooling upgrade then? At least you won't be able to hear it anymore through your window!

coolermaster V10 is bigger in length by a long shot.. though on avg your processor will run warmer with the V10 but the temps will be much much more consistant.. maybe a 5-8C difference from idle to full load but the temps will stay in the high 40's to low 50's the whole time..

the biggest issue with the NDH-14 is its weight.. if you have a way to support the weight of the heatsink and tying it to the case its self otherwise id just take the higher temps with a smaller lighter heatsink..

coolermaster V10 is bigger in length by a long shot.. though on avg your processor will run warmer with the V10 but the temps will be much much more consistant.. maybe a 5-8C difference from idle to full load but the temps will stay in the high 40's to low 50's the whole time..

the biggest issue with the NDH-14 is its weight.. if you have a way to support the weight of the heatsink and tying it to the case its self otherwise id just take the higher temps with a smaller lighter heatsink..

The biggest problem is that on the GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 board, there arn't a lot of options for upgrading the cooling on it if you are using all 4 memory slots. From what i've read here and elsewhere, the NDH-14 is the only cooler than will work without blocking any of the ram slots. The NDH-12 SE2 might fit, but I don't feel comfortable with having a hot heat sink hovering that close over the ram modules. At least the NDH-14 is a little taller and adds a little extra clearance.

Personally, I wish I knew why in the hell any HSF manufacturer would release anything that blocks a memory slot considering that they are already aiming their stuff at the performance crowd.

From what I hear, the Coolermaster V10 is a no-no because that sucker weighs so much. I wonder what would happen to the motherboard over time running a V10 or NDH-14 as all that weight couldn't be good.

I suppose I could also just be content with my stock HSF as it isn't bad, as it is just noisy.

The biggest problem is that on the GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 board, there arn't a lot of options for upgrading the cooling on it if you are using all 4 memory slots. From what i've read here and elsewhere, the NDH-14 is the only cooler than will work without blocking any of the ram slots. The NDH-12 SE2 might fit, but I don't feel comfortable with having a hot heat sink hovering that close over the ram modules. At least the NDH-14 is a little taller and adds a little extra clearance.

Personally, I wish I knew why in the hell any HSF manufacturer would release anything that blocks a memory slot considering that they are already aiming their stuff at the performance crowd.

From what I hear, the Coolermaster V10 is a no-no because that sucker weighs so much. I wonder what would happen to the motherboard over time running a V10 or NDH-14 as all that weight couldn't be good.

I suppose I could also just be content with my stock HSF as it isn't bad, as it is just noisy.

true.. but ive see a lot of people and even i have used braces to carry the load of the heatsink by mounting it to the case its self so that the case carries all the wait.. even with my big typhoon when i had it on my 780g motherboard which for some reason had a ton of flex in it even though it was an matx board with all the screws used.. i took a old steel braded Sturgeon leader cut the hooks off one end.. took a screw and put it in the top edge of the case looped one end around the screw then unscrewed the fan and looped the other end through the screw that held the fan on.. worked like a charm.. but i know theres companies that make brackets specifically for this..

Out went the stock fan, in went the H50, much nicer but now I can't tell if my kid is up late online gaming. :p

Out went the stock fan, in went the H50, much nicer but now I can't tell if my kid is up late online gaming. :p

He is gaming on your folding boxen and thus messing up your points production? The nerve of him!

He is gaming on your folding boxen and thus messing up your points production? The nerve of him!

Nah, the G-town is my primary folding rig which is also used for newsletter publishing, web design and the occasional bouts of gaming for stress relief. The Thuban runs part of the day and he games on that. I'm going to OC that thing to 3.2 when he has his back turned long enough.

hey guys i know a few of you still have the stock HSF from your 1055T/1090T's or even the ones from the x4 phenom II's.. Veeb0rg is looking for a second heatsink.. im planning to send him my stock heatsink from my phenom II 940 so he can use it on his dually socket AM2+ rig so if anyone is willing to ship it hit up Veeb0rg in his WTB thread.. he only needs 1 since im planning to send mine as well..

Back