AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz - $89.99 (Amazon)

Most likely. AMD's new "updated Bulldozer" architecture should be released soon.

Nah, you'd be better off spending a bit more on a socket 1155 chip.

I'm on Bulldozer and can agree with this. If you're gonna change your platform anyway, you may as well go with the i5/i7 line unless your cash flow is tight and the AMD route gives you the bang you need.

I've had this chip for three years now, and it has performed like a champ. I haven't had any slowdowns in games. Its funny, I bought it because my previous CPU couldn't handle GTA4, what do you want to bet the game that finally makes my upgrade is GTA5?

Back on topic, 90 dollars is an amazing price for a chip like this.

Decent price, better deal to be had at MicroCenter though if you live near one with the mobo combos.

would this be worth the upgrade from a x3 720BE @ 3.4ghz

i have a h70, would i be able to overclock to 4ghz?

how much can this overclock? is it a worthy upgrade to my q6600?

Mine runs stable at 3.7 with a minor voltage bump. I bumped voltage up to 1.45 in an attempt for 4ghz, but it was not stable. It would boot into Windows but BSOD soon after. I'm sure someone can squeeze 4 out of their chip, but my C3 stepping just didn't want to do it.

It's comparable to my Q6700 chip, which runs at 3.5 at stock voltages, but I never benched them against each other. I did help out the 965 rig with a 128GB SSD, so it's no slouch at all.

I was looking at this deal earlier this morning. Thinking of building a system for the parents. I think they are still running a pentium d system.

would this be worth the upgrade from a x3 720BE @ 3.4ghz

i have a h70, would i be able to overclock to 4ghz?

I'm also curious if this is worth it over a X3 740, ~ 3.4 stable. I feel like this will extend my life on the AM3 platform, and I have another AM3 board I could use with my old CPU for another PC. Overall, if it's not worth the upgrade though, I'll wait for a new platform.

CPU Mark shows a significant difference of 2700 VS 4200...

Redundant statement is redundant. "Deal is dead" sounds better IMO...

I'ts a common internet meme.....relax :).

Anyways, these chips are still very cheap without them being on sale. I'm thinking about getting one to replace my Athlon X2 Regor 3.2 GHz. Do you guys think that there will be a noticeable difference when it comes to photo editing (I use lightroom) and gaming with this chip vs the one that I'm currently using? Thanks in advance and all the best.

Check Ncix, they still have it on sale for $89.

I bought mine for $109 and it's been performing like a champ.

Got mine for $89.99 CDN at NCIX a few weeks ago.

My only regret is that I didn't keep this chip a few years ago --it would have spared me a lot of wasted cash on building i7 systems that I didn't need!

I actually got my X4 965 free from Newegg. I had ordered a buncha stuff and it came in the box along with my other parts. I've gotten an occasional stick of RAM from time to time, but never anything valued over $20. Contacted them to see about returning it and they said 'Nah, you buy enough stuff from us, just keep it'.
*GULP*
Sadly, at the time I was all Intel so I then had to find a gently used board just to take advantage of my 965 freebie.

My gaming rig has been running this chip for two years, upgraded from the X3 720. I can't even describe what an amazing value this thing has been. I paid $90 for it used from right here on Hardforum, so I just keep on putting new video cards in the rig and my computer keeps on eating up the games. I went from dual 4850's in crossfire, to an HD 5870, and am just about to install a 7870 and I don't have any need to upgrade to i5/i7 at all until at least next year if not the one after. If I were starting over today I would most certainly go i5/i7 but three years ago the smartest decision I ever made was going AMD AM3 720 then 965. My mobo will OC this but I've never really wanted to. This chip is still AMD's best bang for the buck IMO.

Is it safe to declare this one of the greatest CPUs ever made? Up there with Conroe, the original G4, etc?

Is it safe to declare this one of the greatest CPUs ever made? Up there with Conroe, the original G4, etc?

It could be up there with some of the greatest. Overclocks very well, was always at a very good price point and performs great. Now that theyre under $100, theyre probably the best available right now dollar for dollar. Theyd definitely at least get an honorable mention in the CPU hall of fame.

I'd just like to point out that we still have these over at Directron too --

http://www.directron.com/hdz965fbgmbox.html?hardocp=1

We're at $95.99 + free shipping though so cheaper than Newegg but maybe a little more than you saw at Amazon. The current 2.5% off coupon doesn't apply but if you throw in something to bring it over $100 you could use hard912c from this week's Hot Deal and drop it down a little bit.

On a personal level -- I have to admit at home I still have a lightly OC'd Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition kicking around with a Radeon 6870 and maxed out ram. It's running right around the 965 level. And really handles just about any game I want with single monitor 1080p res. It's really not bad at all. The only issue with the 965 really was it ran kind of hot and you wanted to upgrade off the stock cooler.

A 965 is not a bad chip to grab, although if it were me and I was sitting on a non-phenom class AM3 part I'd be really torn between going to either an X6 while I still could (You can still get 1045Ts at least from us .. some other skus are still lingering) or trying to dig up a B93. A B93 is a Phenom II Quad @ around the 945 level, but was designed for the business side and at the lower 95W level. 95W = better board compatibility and easier heatsink requirements. The B93s could really only be ordered tray in lots from AMD and at the end it looks like they dumped a bunch of them as overstock so you can sometimes find them floating around pretty cheap. MicroCenter has been trying to sell them at $39.99 as an in store grab .. although really it's a $80ish part. If your on an Athlon X2/X3/X4 it's really worth the move up to a B93 though.

-Lee

I love 965be and 955be chips, bought a 965be almost 3 years ago and its still able to run everything without bottlenecking an unlocked and oc'ed 6970 (cpu overclocked to 4.0ghz of course) excellent value for a chip I paid $175 for from the egg. I did recently buy a 955 from tiger for $70 (OEM) which is a better deal than this, but this is still a good price.

Back