AMD Phenom II 940BE + BIOSTAR TA790GX XE $230

i been beating myself over the head on this one

i wanna upgrade my Opteron165/Lanpart mobo but i think i should get something with DDR3 instead of upgrading but still being behind

argh

i been beating myself over the head on this one

i wanna upgrade my Opteron165/Lanpart mobo but i think i should get something with DDR3 instead of upgrading but still being behind

argh

I'd be perfectly happy with this combo for at least a year as I would want the AM3 to mature more and also see what wondering path M$ will take us. For my gaming and folding DDR2 is just fine. :D Besides I've never know the bleeding edge of tech anyway!! :eek: :p :rolleyes: ;)

I picked up a ta790 128 with 940be last week for 230 from newegg mb was open box but I got everything.

You guys that get a full retail box from the egg on an open box buy are making me jealous!! Three open boxes and three bare boards.......:( :mad: :rolleyes: ;)

1 for 1 on open box retail. Didn't get mb mounting screws. Sata cables io plate, power thingy and software were nice though

0/2 on getting anything with my open box, this is a nice deal though...

1 for 1 on open box retail. Didn't get mb mounting screws. Sata cables io plate, power thingy and software were nice though

Motherboard screws comes with the computer case. Not the motherboard.

theres always been something i dont like about micro ATX boards. just feel confined if i ever wanna dd more

theres always been something i dont like about micro ATX boards. just feel confined if i ever wanna dd more

AS one that has only built mATX systems for the past 6+ years you should know that there are limits! If you want to be able to add tons of stuff down the line stay away from them. ;) Especially now with GPUs that take up a good deal of space.

I'll build a "full size" system one of these days. :D

Its getting harder not to justify Quad-Core -.-

DAMN YOU AMD !!! I'M TRYING NOT TO SPEND MONEY HERE !!! CMOOON !!!

Decided to bite, hoping it helps amd out a little bit. Really want to see them get back in the game. For the price it's not half bad either way so eh cheap new system.

Decided to bite, hoping it helps amd out a little bit. Really want to see them get back in the game. For the price it's not half bad either way so eh cheap new system.

You should like the XE too as it is a pretty good oc'ing mATX board. :D

Any reason to get a dual core/Intel setup instead of this combo? I'm building a new system soon and am trying to justify why not to go with with combo.

Any reason to get a dual core/Intel setup instead of this combo? I'm building a new system soon and am trying to justify why not to go with with combo.

Depends since this combo is a Phenom II quad + 790GX board.

A Dual core/Intel setup would be sorta a different market there.

Depends since this combo is a Phenom II quad + 790GX board.

A Dual core/Intel setup would be sorta a different market there.

I suppose so. Either way I am looking to spend no more than $230ish for the CPU/mobo. I'd likely end up with a P35/45 board and E7400 if I went the Intel route.

I suppose so. Either way I am looking to spend no more than $230ish for the CPU/mobo. I'd likely end up with a P35/45 board and E7400 if I went the Intel route.

That would land you close to this combo's price I believe. I would go for this combo since it is way bigger bang for your dollar. The X2 720BE is around the e8400 level and this X4 940BE is around the Q9400~Q9500 area I believe. Don't forget the future overhead room you get with the AM2+/AM3 platform. The LGA 775 is a solid platform however building one today isn't as worth it as before. If your upgrading an LGA 775 thats fine but if your building then better off building going AM2+/AM3. It is the new LGA 775 at a cheaper price.

Its getting harder not to justify Quad-Core -.-
pic3.jpg

DAMN YOU AMD !!! I'M TRYING NOT TO SPEND MONEY HERE !!! CMOOON !!!

Must .. .. must. .. resist. Don't need an extra server, but oh so tempting.
pic3.jpg

That would land you close to this combo's price I believe. I would go for this combo since it is way bigger bang for your dollar. The X2 720BE is around the e8400 level and this X4 940BE is around the Q9400~Q9500 area I believe. Don't forget the future overhead room you get with the AM2+/AM3 platform. The LGA 775 is a solid platform however building one today isn't as worth it as before. If your upgrading an LGA 775 thats fine but if your building then better off building going AM2+/AM3. It is the new LGA 775 at a cheaper price.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I ending up snatching this combo deal; can't go wrong for the price.

Seems like every week or so newegg switches the combo deals. This one should be ending pretty soon. But they'll just pair the 940 with another mobo, might or might not be as good of deal.

There are 3 other motherboards that are currently active as a combo deal with this CPU ranging from $30-45 off (the combo linked here is for $50 off).

I looked at those other 3 mobo didn't really see as good of a deal with them.

lol noob

I guess I really made a mistake then when I paired a $150 Gigabyte P45 UD3P with a $300 Q9550 then, eh?

Jeez, don't you know you need to have a MB with 5" HD LCD, 10 gold-plated heat pipes, quad SLI support, 24GB RAM, and PhysX to have a quick CPU?! ;)

Back