AMD Overtakes NVIDIA In GPU Market Share For The First Time Since Q3 2014

Nice! Now keep going AMD!

https://wccftech.com/amd-overtakes-nvidia-marketshare-q2-2019/

Quick highlights
  • AMD’s overall unit shipments increased 9.85% quarter-to-quarter, Intel’s total shipments decreased -1.44% from last quarter, and Nvidia’s decreased -0.04%.
  • The attach rate of GPUs (includes integrated and discrete GPUs) to PCs for the quarter was 120% which was down -10.38% from last quarter.
  • Discrete GPUs were in 26.95% of PCs,down -1.99% from last quarter.
  • The overall PC market increased 9.25% quarter-to-quarter, and increased 3.07% year-to-year.
  • Desktop graphics add-in boards (AIBs) that use discrete GPUs decreased -16.62% from last quarter.
  • Q2’19 saw a decrease in tablet shipments from last quarter.

Market-Share-AMD-NVIDIA-INTEL-GPU-Q2-2019.png

"Another interesting observation is that considering NVIDIA launched SUPER variants during this quarter and their shipments were mostly flat, it would seem the new lineup has not been well received even though it made the company more competitive from a price/perf perspective. Considering Jensen loves being the top dog around, I can only assume that this will give them ample impetus to stop lazing around and start a price/tech war. Which is good news for the consumer because that’s when they win."

I'm pro amd but I would like to point out that I'm pretty sure that integrated make quite a hearty amount of those for amd, it's still interesting but I wouldn't read too much into it.

Heck the super vs flat doesn't surprise me because it's more like a full refresh, instead of regular cards they are now shipping the super versions.

I disagree. Intel maybe shouldn't be here until they have their discrete solutions (again), but both AMD and Nvidia make both CPUs with integrated and discrete cards. Might as well lay it all out there.

Reactions: B770
like this
It would be nice to see numbers without the integrated stuff. Still a lot of those sales for AMD have to be RX / Vega / Navi sales. I doubt AMD all of a sudden saw a massive surge in OEM purchases of Ryzen 2200/3200 parts or something.

I suspect navi is selling well... but people are likely also snapping up what is left of vega 56... and the deals on 580/590 have been strong. Not to mention for awhile there AMD was giving away $180 worth of games with $200 video cards.

Last edited:
It's all integrated graphics... Intel has 67% of that graph... This isn't news.

I disagree. Intel maybe shouldn't be here until they have their discrete solutions (again), but both AMD and Nvidia make both CPUs with integrated and discrete cards. Might as well lay it all out there.
Nvidia? CPUs? PC market (which is the focus of this thread, the OP, the link, and the report they are citing)?

The cited source doesn't count ARM chips for cars and consoles, so it is 100% discrete for Nvidia, as far as this thread is concerned.

Nvidia? CPUs? PC market (which is the focus of this thread, the OP, the link, and the report they are citing)?

The cited source doesn't count ARM chips for cars and consoles, so it is 100% discrete for Nvidia, as far as this thread is concerned.

We might not like to talk about them, but yes, Nvidia makes CPUs too.

Doesn't ARM design those CPU cores?
And Nvidia just copy/pastes them with their GPU (tegra?)
AFAIK Intel, AMD, and ARM are the major CPU designers (and now Apple).

Talk about them or not, but they are irrelevant in this discussion.

Because they were not included in the stats above because the stats are about PC parts, not mobile phone/tablet parts.

Talk about them or not, but they are irrelevant in this discussion.

Because they were not included in the stats above because the stats are about PC parts, not mobile phone/tablet parts.

Didn't realize the scope. Noting that the Shield isn't really a tablet or phone.

I think these results would be more interesting if the integrated parts were omitted.

Now can we see the GPU card results?

Edit:
Here are the JPR add in card results from Q1 when AMD/NVidia were neck and neck in overall GPU.

https://www.jonpeddie.com/press-rel...leases-its-global-q1-2019-add-in-board-report
View attachment 183667

Navi is the best new GPU chip from AMD in many years, so I expect AMD will have improved slightly more in this market for Q2, but nowhere near parity.
Here are the Q2 results, which were released alongside the OP report. It shows that AMD made good gains on NVIDIA, but still far from overtaking them.

upload_2019-8-29_13-23-28.png

https://www.jonpeddie.com/press-rel...leases-its-q2-2019-global-add-in-board-report

Wow...AMD add-in GPU market share saw almost a 10% gain in a single quarter - very impressive!

That tells me that nVidia's ploy to keep their RTX prices as close to the artificially inflated cryptoboom Pascal prices is continuing to hurt them, which is a great thing, IMO. Maybe next-gen they'll actually stop and think about the consequences of releasing a $1000+ GPU in their mainstream lineup...LOL.

Wow...AMD add-in GPU market share saw almost a 10% gain in a single quarter - very impressive!

That tells me that nVidia's ploy to keep their RTX prices as close to the artificially inflated cryptoboom Pascal prices is continuing to hurt them, which is a great thing, IMO. Maybe next-gen they'll actually stop and think about the consequences of releasing a $1000+ GPU in their mainstream lineup...LOL.

They won't. Very few things ever go back down. People just become accustomed to paying more.

Use gas prices as an example. In Canada they do this thing (and I'm sure it's not exclusive to us) where they will increase gas prices by 30¢ a liter and then drop it down 20¢ and everyone is excited it went down... But it didn't. Stupid people will always reign supreme and $1000 cards are here to stay.

The high end doesn’t move market share though. Nvidia will keep charging $1000 until there’s competition up there.

Not sure what to read into the numbers. AMD market share went up last quarter but it’s still lower than the 36% share they had last year.

Nvidia is relatively weak in the important $350-$450 range right now so AMD has a chance to make real gains there.

Nice! Now keep going AMD!

Thanks for the share, I know trade tensions seem to be easing (seems like) which bodes VERY WELL for the end of year prime time for tech companies, if there ever was best time of quarterly it is 4Q, so, bad trade war 1-2Q end 3Q make sales amazing for Q4

I was keeping eye on, as I am lock stepped to their value is my "build my dream" funds .. like you folks dropping 401k .. I Canada, not have a 401k, but I do have my savingINVEST that last 2 odd years has worked quite well.

anywho....Long AMD as well...so wish I had my 500shr again :(
(but that is the build my dream cost cut the shares had down to current holdings (penny pnching bought me into from get go, so dollar pinch is what leave me in good place......

as long life not fk with me ^.^

----------------

cheers o7

I do so hope ALL investors "strike gold"

(even the ones who " LIE " make profit (pump-dump-buy-dump) cost of others fortune's .. most of last 2.5 yr at least been crazy bad for this, seemingly because AMD "doing so well" Apple etc kind of middle and the rest constant have to adjust write off/down / refresh

through financial year and outlook towards next....we all deserve that break for a change,

-- Fair Winds and Following Seas --

Last edited:

It's really more about AMD having it's best new product in MANY years, and the pent up demand that goes along with it. The audience for Navi is a lot broader than it was for Vega.

They won't. Very few things ever go back down. People just become accustomed to paying more.

Use gas prices as an example. In Canada they do this thing (and I'm sure it's not exclusive to us) where they will increase gas prices by 30¢ a liter and then drop it down 20¢ and everyone is excited it went down... But it didn't. Stupid people will always reign supreme and $1000 cards are here to stay.
Yes but also no. Michigan land here and to continue with the gas prices they’re higher than they should be, but at the same lower than what people were paying a decade ago.

High prices are to stay (thanks 2080ti early adopters....nah I’m joking this shit is on OG Titan purchases) but they’ll normalize below the current high end and above what has been “customary” for high end.

Back